PDA

View Full Version : Help! Computer problems

JonathanLB
Dec 13th, 2002, 01:58:42 AM
Hey I am using my old computer here at home now and to my shock/horror it is, uhh, really messed up with the monitor.

This computer may be "old" for me, but it's pretty darn good still. I mean, 256 megs of RAM (my new one has 1 gig), 80 gig hard drive, 1,500 mhz Pent IV, DVD and CD-RW drives, etc. It was $3,500 when I bought it two years ago.

Anyway here is the problem: it is 16 colors and not letting me switch to anything else and I can't change the resolution to anything other than 640 x 480!!! It looks HORRIBLE and so awful I can't even use it. Not to mention the refresh rate of the monitor looks so crappy that it's hurting my eyes. It looks practically like it is blinking. So what gives here? This computer never had these problems before. Is it some video card issue or what should I look at or have Darren (our maintenance guy) look at so he can fix it?

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 02:07:05 AM
Video drivers have shat themselves.

JonathanLB
Dec 13th, 2002, 02:16:16 AM
Ok, the video drivers, yeah there must be something seriously wrong that needs reloading -- I don't understand how he could have not noticed this. Ugg, wtf, now I gotta get up early (i.e. before noon) to have him fix this.

Figrin D'an
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:17:05 AM
Yup... whatever graphics card you have in it, go to that company's website and see if there are updated video drivers available. If not, reinstall whatever ones you have. That should do the trick.

JonathanLB
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:54:59 PM
We fixed it, I guess the old video card was totally shot, just wasn't working at all, Darren knew about the problem. We installed a new card and it works/looks great now.

Figrin D'an
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:21:01 PM
That sucks... what kind of video card was in it, and with what did you replace it?

Shawn
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:37:30 PM
I can't think of how that's possible. If your videocard was damaged, it should still be able to do something simple like display your desktop properly. If it was completely shot, you wouldn't have gotten an image at all.

If you want, you can try to re-install the drivers for it and make sure you have the proper drivers for your monitor installed. A 640x480x16 display is almost surely the result of a driver problem.

BTW - If that's your "old" PC, I sure could use another gig of RAM and an 80gb HD. :p

Morgan Evanar
Dec 14th, 2002, 01:56:55 AM
It was $3,500 when I bought it two years ago.

You got screwed.