PDA

View Full Version : Ep2 to win a best film Oscar?

ReaperFett
Dec 12th, 2002, 04:58:55 PM
Could be :)

The LA Times reports on the films up for an animated movie of the year award at the Academy, with talk about films like Star Wars that have plenty of animation but are considered live-action films. Here's a clip thanks to FigureHead for the lead:
Under academy rules, an animated film is defined as a motion picture of at least 70 minutes running time and a significant number of characters who are animated, and in which the animation figures in no less than 75% of the picture's running time.
Since many special-effects-driven films today feature both live action and animation, films that could conceivably be eligible include "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and the "Star Wars" movies. Studios of movies like those, however, prefer to pursue an Oscar for best picture, not best animated feature.

Still, it is a subject that is raising debate.

Kevin Koch, president of the Hollywood Animation Guild, said the academy's decision "makes things blurry."

"You have plenty of things that are primarily live-action with one or two characters who are animated," he said. "I'm curious why "Scooby-Doo" wasn't nominated.

"I think the concern I've heard from [animators] is, does this dilute the category into basically being a special-effects category," he added, noting Jar Jar Binks in "Star Wars" or Gollum in this year's "Lord of the Rings." "On the other hand, it does give recognition to the character animators who are working on those films," he said. "Ultimately, the award is for the film, not the individual."

BUFFJEDI
Dec 12th, 2002, 07:00:57 PM
Yeah, and I'll be dateless new years eve:rolleyes

I bet AOTC get's snubbed on everything JUST like TPM :(. I hate the oscar's. Need I say ANNIE HALL!!!!!!! rubbish, all rubbish :verymad

JMK
Dec 12th, 2002, 08:59:02 PM
I'll never look at SW or LOTR as animated movies. Even though they easily fit the definition, Toy Story and Lilo & Stitch are animated movies.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 12th, 2002, 09:35:33 PM
That would be bizarre to think LOTR is eligible for the Animated award. But it's the 75% crieria that would count it out - there s a huge amount of models and camera tricks instead of CG.

But technically, you could be right for Ep II. Considering there is CG in nearly every scene.... Wow, that's mind boggling

ReaperFett
Dec 12th, 2002, 09:54:15 PM
TTT wouldnt get it simply because it has a chance for best film, IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 03:49:33 AM
A chance yes. No more than that

Oriadin
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:36:40 AM
Do you think weve had any major contenders for Best Film this year? I dont, not really. Signs is my favorite film so far this year. TTT is due out on Friday and I think its got a real chance for best film. I dont really know of any really big films due out that look like oscar winning material so far.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 04:56:45 AM
Ori, Oscar time starts now ;)

Chicago could have a chance. TTT might. Solaris might be the sort of film voters like. Minority Report. Insomnia. Adaptation will make it.

There's 6 :)

Problem is, we dont see every film, so how would we know?

Oriadin
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:15:20 AM
Ah ha! Speak for yourself.

**Hugs his cinema pass**

Id forgotten about Minority Report. That could be in with a shout for a few things. Insomnia? Hmmm, not sure id put that up at Oscar winning material. Not best film anyways. Suppose Harry Potter could be up for a couple of things but again I cant see that getting best film. AOTC will probably get a few awards for special effects or something but I doubt it will be up for best film.

TTT is the only film Im really aware of that could be in with a real chance of winning the oscar for best film. Chicago possibly but not all to sure how that'll turn out. Im really looking forward to seeing it though.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:30:11 AM
Adaption is my pick. It's has Cage in Oscar mode once more I hear :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:54:45 AM
The four most likely -

Gangs of New York
Chicago
TTT
Adaption

Minority Report, Solaris and Road to Perdition wont make it. Neither will Signs. I would say by the sounds of it Gangs of New York may well get Picture and Director. If it doesnt, I say Jackson may well get his Oscar he SHOULD have got last year.

Oriadin
Dec 13th, 2002, 05:59:21 AM
It should have gone to Baz Luhrmann for Moulin Rouge last year for director but he didnt even get nominated. Biggest disgrace ive seen at the oscars yet.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:00:25 AM
Road to Peredition will make it, IMO :)

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:22:50 AM
MOULIN ROGUE??????

WTF????

You have got to be kidding me! That was one of the most awful films I have ever had the displeasure of watching. It had no right to even to have been considered. Awful, awful, sickening and trite. I hated that POS almost as much as that crapfest Ameile.

Yeeah Road to Perdition could make it, but it coul suffer from being released in summer.

Yeech, I feel dirty even thinking about Moulin Rouge. And dont get me started on the travesty that was 1999 and American Spewty

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 06:59:31 AM
And I think Hanks (He always does) Cage and Cruise will be nominated for best actor, Farrell for supporting, with outside chances of Oscars for Dafoe and Damon. Sure they're unlikely, but so was Zellwegger last year.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:19:29 AM
They are saying Daniel Day Lewis may as well get the Oscar for Actor right now for Gangs of New York.

Cruise.... outsode chace. Cage for Adaption yes, Hanks, yes for Catch me if you Can I think. Very outside for Viggo Mortensen.

I still cant believe someone is seriously thinking of nominating Gollum / Andy Serkis for Supporting Actor. That'll be a turn up for the books

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:30:50 AM
Suppose DI Caprio might be an outside shot too, what with Gangs and Catch me if you can.

They reckon Nicholson might have a chance too.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:39:52 AM
Oh yeah, that's true.

I think that if Gollum is as good as the reveiws would have us believe, TTT will be a shoe in for one or two Oscaar's already.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:43:09 AM
What did it win last time?

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:45:27 AM
Makeup, Special Effects, Score and Cinetograhy.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:49:24 AM
wouldnt say its a cert for any of them this year. Was I to guess, I'd say it'd get the same number of Oscars, but in higher categories.

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 13th, 2002, 07:56:47 AM
1, Makeup - Doubtful, has there been improvement?
2 - Special effects- Gollum. That might be enough, though Helms Deep sounds mind blowing, definate improvements. Nothing I think will be close.
3 Score - Doubtful
4 - Cinematography - No.

Might get costume design, lighting and sound. A few other technicals it didnt win last year. I realyl doubt any acting. And for Director and Movie, really depends I think on Gangs. People are now highly aware what Jackson had to do to get LOTR made, that may count a lot. Might also count the view he should have won last year - Really, Ron Howard shouldnt have won - his should have ben a few years ago.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 08:01:49 AM
Makeup will always have to compete with period dramas and musicals, so that's never a given.

Cinematography depends on how much human-human fighting there is. IMO, this could go to anything from TTT to EP2 to Gangs to Windtalkers.

Oriadin
Dec 13th, 2002, 09:45:31 AM
I cant belive you hate Moulin Rouge as much as you do. Its a sheer class act that film. Acting is superb by everyone, the music is fantastic and whether or not you liked the film, surly you have to admit you can see the work that went into getting it made. The film was awsome. I saw that about 7 or 8 times at the cinema last year.

Getting back to the rest of the conversation, I think its going to be a very interesting year for oscars this year. You can see quite clearly that it doesnt look like theres going to be anything that'll run away with it this year. I prefer years like that. LOTR was up for so many things last year but this year, its not new. Its been done before. That takes a lot away from the magic of a film IMO. Its a common fact that most sequals arent as good as the originals and I dont think thats nessesaraly because they arent as good but because its been done before. I have to say though, the clips have got me very excited about the film. I've got a feeling Im gonna like this one more than the FOTR.

Jedieb
Dec 13th, 2002, 10:22:30 AM
It should have gone to Baz Luhrmann for Moulin Rouge last year for director but he didnt even get nominated. Biggest disgrace ive seen at the oscars yet.

MOULIN ROGUE??????

WTF????

You have got to be kidding me! That was one of the most awful films I have ever had the displeasure of watching. It had no right to even to have been considered. Awful, awful, sickening and trite. I hated that POS almost as much as that crapfest Ameile.

I have to go with Oriadin on this one. I LOVED Moulin Rouge. Ewan was simply amazing in that movie. I still can't get over how well he sings. It's a very well done tragic love story. Even Leguazamo was good and he usually annoys the hell out of me. I've watched the DVD at least 6 times and it still gets me every time. I also love picking out lines from old pop songs during the medleys. Queen's The Show Must Go On is a favorite of mine so it's just got a bunch of positives for me. But hey, to each his own.

I think that Gangs may end up getting a ton of nominations. It's got a late year release and lots of Oscar buzz surrounding it. Scorsese's name is going to give it some clout as well.

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 10:25:19 AM
But...THE BIG HATS! And the Moustaches!

:)

CMJ
Dec 13th, 2002, 10:28:31 AM
An OSCAR thread?! That I DIDN'T start?! Awesome!

*As the OScar guru at SW Forums I rarely get much contribution to the cause*

I'll post my thoughts later..I was running out the door. :)

Jedieb
Dec 13th, 2002, 10:51:31 AM
Have you seen how people dressed back in that period? Granted, Lewis looks like a demented Cat in the Hat, but that's what they wore.
A hatchet in your back!
Then stuff your head in a sack!
Said the Maniac in the hat!

Oriadin
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:01:47 AM
I think the film needs two sittings. First time I went to see it I thought what the hell? It is incredibly in your face and different to anything there has been before. I left the cinema the first time I went to see it wondering what the hell had just happend. I had been blown away but I wasnt sure if I liked it.

That night and all the next day I couldnt get the songs out of my head. They were fantastically put together. Both Ewan and Nicole had fantastic voices. Especially Ewan. In the end it was the music that brought me back for more. When I saw it a second time I loved it and there was no way anyone would be able to convince me it was anything less than brilliant. Its a fun film to watch. Great music, great story, great acting and great direction. Baz is a genious, whether you like his films or not, I think everyone should be able to see how good he is. Take any interview with any of the cast and they all rave about him. Every single one. I cant give this film enough praise.

**Goes home to get his Moulin Rouge DVD out.** :D

Jedieb
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:46:48 AM
I think the film needs two sittings. First time I went to see it I thought what the hell? It is incredibly in your face and different to anything there has been before. I left the cinema the first time I went to see it wondering what the hell had just happend. I had been blown away but I wasnt sure if I liked it.

I had a similiar experience the first time I saw it. The sudden camera movements, the quirky sound effects, and quick cuts distracted me during the first half of the film. Then it settled down a bit and the story took over. When I watch it now I don't even notice those things. There's an unconscious narcoleptic Argentinian in it, what's not to like? :)

ReaperFett
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:47:55 AM
Have you seen how people dressed back in that period? Granted, Lewis looks like a demented Cat in the Hat, but that's what they wore.
But still looks comical :)

Figrin D'an
Dec 13th, 2002, 11:29:16 PM
I, too, loved Moulin Rouge. Incredible film, great story, wonderful over-the-top acting and plot development that makes musicals so sucessful. It was probably my third favorite film from the last Oscar season, behind Memento and The Fellowship of the Ring.

Best Picture candidates for this season...

Chicago, Gangs of New York and Road to Perdition are all locks to be nominated, IMO. Adaptation I can't really comment on... I know too little about it. The Two Towers might get a nod, but it's iffy, IMO. We'll just have to see...

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:16:22 PM
I think it would be an incredible accomplishment for TTT to get nominated. Forget about winning the award, just getting the nod would be a historic Oscar accomplishment. But I just don't see how it could join GFII as another sequel winner. I just don't see it scoring that well with the Academy drama crowd. The nomination should be victory enough.

JMK
Dec 14th, 2002, 09:13:22 PM
Well Leo Maltin LOVED TTT, so that should be enough for the academy. ;)

Jedi_Psyche
Dec 29th, 2002, 01:52:58 PM
I honestly think that all of the Star Wars movies should receive Oscars for best picture. It boggles my mind the imagination Lucus must have to create a whole new universe, religion, and epic. Star Wars has set the example of what all movies try to achieve.

quick question- did A New Hope win best picture?

Jedieb
Dec 29th, 2002, 02:10:13 PM
Nominated, but it lost to a Woody Allen film. Annie Hall I believe. Alec Guiness also received a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

ReaperFett
Dec 29th, 2002, 02:27:37 PM
SW lost in manys eyes because it had a similar film competing. It's like in 98. Saving Private Ryan was well liked. Thin Red Line was liked by critics. Neither won. SImply enough, they took votes from oneanother

JMK
Dec 29th, 2002, 04:02:31 PM
SW lost because the awards folks don't take SF/Fantasy seriously. They classify them as terrific movies, but not best picture worthy. Even 2001 "should" have won, so they gave Kubrick a token best pic oscar with Clockwork Orange. IMO, they should have been reversed. Clockwork deserved nothing and 2001 should have gotten the accolades.

Now that Peter Jackson has come along and made such a success out of the LOTR movies, it's the perfect chance for the academy to come back and say "See? We do take it seriously! We always did, you're all crazy!"