PDA

View Full Version : A simple boy from the sticks

Hunk
Dec 11th, 2002, 06:20:48 PM
Opening: planet Arus, on the far reaches of the outer rim

“I’m home!”

The afternoon silence was broken as Hamilton burst through the front door. His mother, in the middle of preparing dinner, called out from the kitchen.

“How was school, dear?”

“Boring,” Hamilton replied as he went straight for the pantry, “the teacher was droning about something. I think it was math or something.”

“Oh Hamilton, don’t tell your poor mother things like that. You need to pay attention in school; it’s important. Where will you go if you don’t learn these things?”

“Don’t worry, ma,” he replied, his mouth half full of stale crackers, “I read through the whole chapter last week and memorized it. Now I’m working on that engine repair book.”

“So that’s where it went! You know your father was looking all over for that, don’t you?”

“I know, but I figure this way, I can help him the next time he needs to work on something.”

His mother laughed softly, “well aren’t you a little jack of all trades?”

It was true. At age 10, he was picking things up at an incredable rate. He learned things faster than the teachers at school could instruct him, leaving hiim plenty of free time. Already he had independantly studied astronomy, flying, and now mechanics. Of course, this ability to pick things up wasn’t free of consequences. She had been called in many times to discuss her son’s disruptive nature. He had a tendancy to act out as a class clown, a habit which, along with his natural affiable nature, made him a favorite amoung his classmates.

“Now Hamilton, don’t be filling up. You have fencing practice in a half hour. I don’t want you cramping up.”

“Aw muhm, I wa juff haffin a couple,” he said. Inside, however, he was groaning. He didn’t mind the lessons, really, but he didn’t think they were really relevent. After all, who fought with swords nowadays?

Reluctantly, he gave up his crackers and went to his room to change.

<hr>
4 years later

“I’m home!”

The afternoon silence was broken as Hamilton burst through the front door. His mother, in the middle of preparing dinner, called out from the kitchen.

“How was school, dear?”

“Boring,” Hamilton replied as he went straight for the pantry, “the teacher lecturing on history. Whatever it was I’m sure I already know it.”

His mom turned to look at him, hands on her hips.

“Hamilton J Everett, you know you should be paying attention. l know it’s hard for you, dear, but it’s really distracting for the teachers when don’t listen. And stop looking at those girls,” she added with a smile, “they’re nothing but trouble.”

“Awww mom, stop it, you’re embarressing me,” he said, blushing slightly. She was right, of course, he had a tendancy of concentrating more on his female classmates than the teacher. Not that the attention wasn’t returned, however. He had been an early bloomer, and he was already developing a barrel chest and a deep voice. His mom already had to look up to ltalk to him, and he was quickly drawing in on his dad. Not surprisingly, he seemed to have a new “girlfriend” every week.

“Oh really,’ she said jokingly, “I thought you were too cool to be embarressed. Now don’t get too comfortable, you’ll be late for your flying lessons.”

*knock knock knock*

“Now that’s odd, I wonder who that could be.” She said. Brushing her hands off, she slipped out of the kitchen to the front door. Upon opening it, she was greeted by a short, balding man that looked like he hadn’t seen a ray of sunlight in his life.

“Is this the, eh, Everett residence?” Hamilton’s mom nodded. “Well then, Mrs. Everett, I’m pleased to announce that your son has been selected to attend the Royal Academy. If you choose to accept this honor, please attend the induction ceremony which will take place next month.” And with that, he turned and left. No further explanation, no goodbyes.

Hamilton and his mom simply stared at each other.