PDA

View Full Version : Geography Question

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:01:01 PM
Howdy all!

I was just going to ask a little question about general Star Wars Universe geography. I know that, from my own RPing, the addition of exotic planets and bustling spaceports or new cities is commonplace on the boards, but I was wondering:

Is creating your own planets/places acceptable?

I have created a few of my own. Terran's home planet is one that I created. What I mostly do, however, is add places to already exsisting ones. Example: I created the name of a river on Tattooine in one thread.

Is this ok?

I figured that adding names and descriptions to the places that you RP in is just creative work and gives your characters and their adventures depth and life. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules. I guess I figured that if it isn't hurting anyone, it isn't a problem. Would that be a logical assumption.

Examples, you say? I have them.

BAD CREATION: A planet called "Kill Y'all" That orbits through other star systems and wipes out planets. It just recently destroyed Tattooine.

GOOD CREATION: The Del Derosa, a major river on the planet Tattooine that cuts through part of the southern hemisphere. A travel point and site of commerce to the locals.

BAD CREATION: The planet "Steelland" where I can manufacture enough steel to build a fleet larger than the Empire.

GOOD CREATON: Naming a city on Naboo called Irigon, a place where many prominent musicians and minstrels have been known to train.

Am I on the right track here?

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:13:47 PM
I do know its not against the rules to make up planets its just that they may not be recognized as such to other factions on the board. also My guess would be that they have to follow normal guidelines of planets (for and example look at are current solar system). So no you couldn't make planet that goes where ever the heck you want it to.

As for adding places to planets i'm not so ssure on that. I honestly don't think it would be bad to make up names of cities or sections of cities (in curscants case). I'm a little leery about land marks though such as a river on Tattooine because I think of Tattooine as one big dust bowl where water is very scarce and the people there have learned how to adapt and live on low supply of water.

Sanis Prent
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:23:15 PM
Making up planets doesn't seem to be a problem. I think everyone does it at some point in time. Now, making a river on Tattooine is another thing entirely...because that is canon, and I'm really not sure if there's supposed to be water on that planet.

Sene Unty
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:39:22 PM
BAD CREATION: A planet called "Kill Y'all" That orbits through other star systems and wipes out planets. It just recently destroyed Tattooine.

:lol man that is funny as hell.

Shawn
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:46:24 PM
What Sanis said. A river on Tatooine would put Moisture Farmers out of business. :)

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:08:47 PM
(thumps self on head for being a COMPLETE moron)

Yeah, didn't even think about Moisture Farms. Let the making-fun-of-Terran's idiot self commence.

Morgan Evanar
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:11:51 PM
Since you were using it as an example, I don't think we're gonna lynch you for it. =]

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:13:08 PM
Well....

I used it in a thread without even thinking (idiot, idiot, idiot!). Can one IC Geo mistake slide?? (puppy dog eyes)

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:14:49 PM
But we haven't had a good lynching in a while! :(

*tosses rock to gorund, then kicks dirt.*

Making a lpanet up is fine, for storyline purposes.. and for character developement. Like Sanis said, everyone does it sooner or later.

Sene Unty
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:15:01 PM
I dont think they would lynch you for making one little mistake. Just don't be putting any forests next to the river on Tatooine okay?? :lol

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:16:49 PM
Yeah, definitely no more additions to Tattooine nature/wildlife.

Note to self:

Only Tuskens, Banthas, and Jawas live on Tattooine outside of the settlements. Adjust thinking as such.

Thanks,
Terran

:D

Dae Jinn
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:34:03 PM
:lol

No-ones going to get upset over one mistake.

And Dae comes from the second saiya-jinn homeworld, that I took from DBZ but adapted to SW. Everyone does stuff like that, I guess ^_^; (making up planets and cities I mean, lol)

ReaperFett
Dec 5th, 2002, 02:17:13 PM
You could have a man made lake if you wanted. WOuldnt be useful :)

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 5th, 2002, 02:37:40 PM
A Jawa community swimming pool. That would be nice.

Dae Jinn
Dec 5th, 2002, 02:39:43 PM
Always wondered what they look like with-out their little hooded robes :lol

Jennifer Sunstriker
Dec 5th, 2002, 04:27:21 PM

Naked...Jawas.......

:eek

Dark Lord Dyzm
Dec 5th, 2002, 07:00:40 PM
They just sticks People with Glowing Eyes and Big Heads! Honestly!

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 6th, 2002, 09:15:56 PM
I read the entry on Jawas in the Star Wars Databank......They're nasty little things :x

Sorus
Dec 7th, 2002, 05:16:36 AM
But how are they BBQ'd?

But as far as making things up, as long as canon is kept intact, I don't see a problem with it. If I did, I wouldn't have made up the Dhe'nar, the home system of the Dhe'nar Empire (Translation: Empire of the First Born) (w/ the planets Rhoska-tor, Maelshyve, Sharath (translation: The Promised Land), and Eh'lah), their language (Dhe'nari-si) and something of a religion (simply called The Way).

:P

Telan Desaria
Dec 7th, 2002, 11:44:05 AM
For the sake of rping, we have to make up planets. Mentioned in EU and the movies are no more than five hundred.

An entry in the Hand of Thrawn Trilogy said the Empire controlled over a hundred hillion systems at one point. That's a hundred million systems. And most systems have more than one planet.