PDA

View Full Version : Moderator.....

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:07:36 PM
http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25480

Correct me if I'm worng, but isnt this blatant God moding, striking without giving your opponent a chance to reply?

Apologies if it does not really concern me - normally I would not even notice. I just make a habit of reading what Xaz is up to

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:08:49 PM
Have you even talked to Ansatsu about it? Or do you just like making it public first?

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:18:34 PM
allot of that is happening around here lately, I generally choose to talk to the person first before making it public but I guess.

Xazor Elessar
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:19:01 PM
Ya know, I just read all that and was like, WTF? I could have easily blocked out those attacks and I would have known at least part of his intention. I'm not stupid ya know.

I wasn't going to say anything public, but I'm tired of people GMing. Wei was giving him OOC info to use IC against me in another thread in Avalon as well. Honestly, I have tried to RP with this little clique that they have going, but I'm finding it nearly impossible as I would walk away in shreads....if I did so at all with the way that it's going.

:\

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:19:17 PM
Maybe if I wasnt so frelling fed up with other issues, I might have the political expediancy to PM or AIM - but right now anything I might say would blister hard drives. As soon as a mod sees this, they can be quite free to either smack me down, delete or deal with the situation as appropriate.

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:19:38 PM
What Grev said, and btw, if Xazor had struck Ansatsu without giving him a chance to reply, would you have made a thread like this in his defense? I'm sensing some serious bias here, Marcus.

anbd Xaz, in case you forgot, I gave you OOC advice about Ansatsu too. Was I wrong for givingh you advice as well?

Marcus Telcontar
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:21:19 PM
If Xaz has moded, then she gets smacked down too

Xazor Elessar
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:21:43 PM
The attacks I put on him were simple....a man off the street would have been able to pull that off without giving the other time to reply. What he was doing involved poison and putting on like, five part attacks....on a JEDI KNIGHT nonetheless. I'm not all powerful, but Xazor isn't a n00b!

AUGH! I'm so fed up.....I may not reply for a while. A lot things are driving me to dislike a lot of people here.

Oh, and BTW.....He walked away from those attacks like it was nothing, though he should have played out his injuries better. When something happens to me, and I actually catch it in the thread, I think out if it's legit or not. If so and I know I wouldn't be able to stop it from happening, I take damage for it fairly. Indeed, sometimes I might read over something, but usually I'm good about fair damage control to myself. I'd expect others to be that way as well. That's the difference between a good writer and one who sucks <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont><smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont><smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>. :verymad

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:25:49 PM
Whatever dude, we all got our right to have some pissed off days but that doesn't give us the right to shoot another person down. He already has a problem with self-esteem on the board (from what I've read), so how does he feel when he probably unknowingly GMs in a thread then comes here and sees a thread calling him out about it?

But I'm not getting caught up in this 'clique' bs, I'll let you all handle it.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:26:27 PM
Flaming will stop now or breaks from the forums will be handed out to all guilty of it!!!

I am currently analyzing the thread and will reply officially soon.

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:33:14 PM
well said Ogre. he may have god moded but no ones perfect people make mistakes.

I have RPed against Xaz before she claimed me of GM through a PM I openly admited my mistake to her and corrected it, why couldn't this have been handled the same way.

Also I know Xaz ain't perfect in the same thread i rped against her she GMed but I didn't even PM her on it because I decided to let it slide.

My point is ether let it slide or deal with it through PM's no need to bring the mess to the public. :)

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:34:28 PM
The problem (if it is a problem at all) is that Ansatsu is more or less being accused of lacking experience. you may not be a n00b, but alot of us are. We are still learning. If you have patience, and maybe give some guidelines, such as posting a max of 2 attacks, and leaving attacks open, I'm sure that people will take the advice. But remember that it is doubly important to practice what you preach. If you tell a newbie a rule or guidline stick to it. Lead by example.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:39:28 PM
From what I can tell from when this topic originally started and now, the offending post was edited to be a little less severe than it was.......but.......

I have to question the existence of a lightsaber shiruken. From my knowledge of lightsaber tech in the SW Universe, curved blades are very difficult to make. (trust me I know, I researched it for one of my own characters). And making several curved lightsaber blades in something so small as a shiruken is absolutely impossible.

Other than that, the edited post doesn't seem to be too blatant in its being a god mode attack. Its something that simply turning back time in the reply and dealing with the attacks that he said landed and actually providing reactions for them (regardless of the outcome) can deal with quite easily.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:43:38 PM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
The problem (if it is a problem at all) is that Ansatsu is more or less being accused of lacking experience. you may not be a n00b, but alot of us are. We are still learning. If you have patience, and maybe give some guidelines, such as posting a max of 2 attacks, and leaving attacks open, I'm sure that people will take the advice. But remember that it is doubly important to practice what you preach. If you tell a newbie a rule or guidline stick to it. Lead by example. The rule set here provides flexibility so that people are free to use their imaginations within common sense limits. All that needs be done is you need to imagine yourself in this little fantasy world and how things should really work. Its completely ludicrous to think that one opponent in a fight can throw more than one or two blows with zero reaction from the other participant, unless that person were a statue of some kind that couldn’t move think or react.

Ansatsu
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:46:20 PM
Why dont I just quit. I cant seem to do anything right. Ya know this is so killing me. I already had to quit debate team today for my friends. I am always a nice person and do the best i can. But it seems to me that I suck as a writer and should just back up. So now my novels I have been writing seem like crap. I cant turn around without getting critiqued for everything. Wei and Grev are right. My shiruken is an original weapon. Whats wrong with that. Its a ninja weapon. As for a clique there isnt one. I dont even know Grev and hes nice enough to stand up for me. I have been driven to the edge many times. But I come right back to get spit in the face again. I have already been restricted from one forum. I just wanna be accepted.

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:48:00 PM
Very true, Mr SWFans. However, Ihave learned from experience that some people lack common sense. I am not insulting Ansatsu by saying that, because I myself find that I often times lack common sense.

About Ansatsu's shuriken:

Imagine for a moment two double-bladed lightsabers stuck together so they are perpendicular to each other and each blade points in one compass direction. It's a lightsaber with 4 blades more or less. And it looks like a big Shuriken, so Why not refer to it as such?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:51:35 PM
And within a Shuriken where are the power cells that provide power for these lightsaber blades? Where are the crystals that the plasma is conducted through to make them? How is the plasma curved instead of being straight? It may be original, but it is also impossible in something so small and thin.

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:56:33 PM
You remember how huge the handle was for the double bladed lightsaber. There is nothing small or thin about the weapon. All it is are two double bladed lightsabers put together. The powercells and crystals are all arranged in the handle just like any other one.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:57:41 PM
Then it isn't a shuriken. A shuriken is a small metalic throwing star.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:58:59 PM
what does that have to do with curving the blade or how the crystals and powercells are aligned? :)

The smallest blade I have ever seen or even read about in the books would be a sabre. How? Darth Vader had a switch on his sabre that could change the lengths and .. it was straight. (granted, he never used it in the movies but there are specs of his sabre somewhere)

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:01:38 PM
Oh well. What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:03:52 PM
And a rose can't house the components for a sabre either. :p

Basically and simply put, ala common sense, a throwing star doesn't have enough room to do what anatsu wants it to do. Otherwise, these things would be way to big and clumsy and serve no purpose.

There is no reason why he can't use regular stars. Use a bunch of them at once... even a Jedi can't block all of them depending on how many you can volley off. Sorsha had done that plenty of times.

Ansatsu
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:06:59 PM
Okay bite me! Ya know I was fighting Anbira and shot thosands of stars and darts at him. He stopped them all. So I think you can block the. This is not worth it. I am very angry now and I am gonna go try and calm down. Thank you and Good bye.

imported_Gerbo Lang
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:07:08 PM
Now are you talking throwing stars or a Four bladed weapon thats basically in the shape of a lower case T or a cross or even a x if its situated right?

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ansatsu
Okay bite me! Ya know I was fighting Anbira and shot thosands of stars and darts at him. He stopped them all. So I think you can block the. This is not worth it. I am very angry now and I am gonna go try and calm down. Thank you and Good bye. Anbira is a Master of the Force and has been playing that character for well over 3 years. Not everyone can do what he can.

Ansatsu
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:12:32 PM
Well its just not right. I cant seem to do anything right. Oh well adds to my list of failures in my life. I guess I will live. Life goes on. Bye.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:13:08 PM
And I like to add that if you are angry and upset don't post. What you posted Anatsu is flaming ... we don't tolerate that.

For once, would posters please learn that to type when angry does no one any good. No one should get upset over this. It is not worth it.

Navaria Tarkin
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:14:52 PM
When one starts out and challenges players who have been around long and have rank, you are setting yourself up for a fall unless you have a plan :)

Things don't come easy to new players. You have to be patient and respect others. Then in likewise... those things will come to you.

Ansatsu
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:18:38 PM
Well you guys throw GMing around like candy. I say go look at yourselves before you judge others. Quit pointing the fingers. Next time one of you GMs ill be sure to make a thread about it okay. Thank you for giving me a reason.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:19:15 PM
Good luck. :)

Admiral Lebron
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:19:55 PM
Sad but true. I started out as a lowly unrespected Lieuteniant... now look at me. Admiral. Still unrespected but ... oh well.

Sanis Prent
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:20:39 PM
I've already talked to Ansatsu previously and spoken of my issues about his lightsaber shuriken. I dunno...its not so much of an issue as it is just plain being ludicrous. It takes an exorbitant amount of work to build a lightsaber. A shuriken would require at least 3-4 blades on it...and to microsize the circuitry...seems a titanic waste of effort for a rather small and minor weapon.

Just reading the post, I'd say that Ansatsu needs to wait on his first volley of attacks. That would allow for reaction. When he loosed his second wave, he essentially negated any chance for Xazor to defend or counterattack...which is wrong.

Wei Wu Wei
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:31:00 PM
Originally posted by Gerbo Lang
Now are you talking throwing stars or a Four bladed weapon thats basically in the shape of a lower case T or a cross or even a x if its situated right?

We are indeed talking about a four bladed weapon basically in the shape of a + sign.

The weapon is very large. I admit throwing it physically is one thing, but suppose he used telekinesis to toss it like a projectile?

And for the millionth time, that weapon of his is not small. No mircocircuitry involved. I'll see if I cannot draw it and post it for you guys.

Ansatsu
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:31:35 PM
Never mind. Not worth it.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:32:08 PM
Then it should not be referred to as a shuriken.

Figrin D'an
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:33:00 PM
I feel compelled to say something here, directed at no one in particular but rather as a general suggestion...

When people continually question the actions of a given RPer over a period of time, chances are, while method of delivery may be harsh, there is some truth to their complaints. Common sense and fair play rules aside, if this seems to be a reoccuring problem for a given person (I find it very difficult to believe that a trend in this respect could not be noticed by the RPer in question), there is one simple fallback that works nearly 100% of the time...

ASK QUESTIONS

If a person is wondering why they are being accused of godmoding, or why his/her writing may not be clearly conveying the desired message... ask people for opinions. Go to someone outside the situation and politely ask for an unbiased review and for suggestions. This is, ultimately, how people improve their RP skills. Write, read, review, respond, and repeat. Rather than getting ticked everytime a questionable action comes up, why not get some independent opinions, and try to learn from the situation. And for those doing the accusing, try talking to the author first and explain your point of view to them rather than immediately putting on the town crier hat.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:44:26 PM
Well said Figrin, and thanks. :)

Xenodoros Stormrider
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:11:51 PM
Err... I don't know why the thread starters didn't take this in a more civilized way... Anyway, the best way to fix a problem like this would be to teach the person what he can or can't do, or try to understand their point of view.

If they still can't come to a conclusion, then you ask someone else... in a civilized way... and also consider that the other person is learning. I think it's quite humiliating for Ansatsu to be flamed at like this.

And about the shuriken... can't it be made of other materials?

Sanis Prent
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:15:04 PM
Of course. Akrabbim, for example, RPed forming some shuriken out of quantum metal :)

Pilot Akito
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:15:22 PM
OK guys, I think we've almost hit rock bottom here.

I think Figrin's post should be the last one in this thread but I have to add my two cents after all I've been through.

Basicaly there are three things that I want you all to remember...

1)It's Exam time.. I know people in High school and College are under enough stress, now add a test that could make or break their grade. Basicaly, it's not a good time to be arguing about God Moding, so if you think it will get you into trouble, then don't do it.

2) Clique's are bad... I know that a lot of you remember my last flaming battle with the Admin on this one, so I'll just say "If you don't want your hands burned, don't play with fire."

3)I think that most people need a no-RP related thread to mess around in, so on Monday, I'm bringing back Moltar...