PDA

View Full Version : Problem Posters pt. 2

Shawn
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:08:11 PM
I have an idea: From now on, whenever there is a notable problem caused by a poster (a particularly nasty series of flames, insults, etc), we post a link to it in this thread. That way, when/if we need to take action on the matter, we can provide a series of links showing exactly what they did.

Basically, if anything catches your attention enough where it deserves a post in this forum, please provide a link here.

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:45:31 PM
Gotcha. Good idea. Will a link bring you straight to the post, or will you have to read the thread to find it?

Shawn
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:49:36 PM
It'll likely take you to the thread. Just mention the post number.

JMK
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:02:40 PM
Right-O. :thumbup

TheHolo.Net
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:05:56 PM
Xazor just earned a place on my "problem posters list" by abusing other posters and the censor in post # 8 of this:

http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=25549#post438027

TheHolo.Net
Dec 4th, 2002, 12:09:41 AM
Ansatsu is also on thin ice with me for posting several times in the thread linked above with nothing but flamebait.

ReaperFett
Dec 4th, 2002, 03:16:53 AM
As an aside, Xaz seems to abuse that censor wayyyy too much. I think we should keep an eye on her.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2002, 09:49:45 AM
Xazpr doesn't sound like a girl name at all does it? Especially when coupled with Leo. Oh well. By abusing the censor does that mean she's trying to get swears and curses across just by spelling them differently? That's pretty lame. Put your creativity into the character.

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2002, 11:52:43 AM
No meaning she'll say, "Shut the <smallfont color=#999900>-Censored-</smallfont> up!" and "<smallfont color=#999900>-Censored-</smallfont><smallfont color=#999900>-Censored-</smallfont><smallfont color=#999900>-Censored-</smallfont><smallfont color=#999900>-Censored-</smallfont> on a stick" or whatnot...and since it says -Censored- instead of < Do not swear! Do not swear! Do not swear! > it's why she does it.

ReaperFett
Dec 4th, 2002, 12:12:55 PM
I said we should have kept it old style ;)

Taylor Millard
Dec 4th, 2002, 02:17:30 PM
Well I like the -Censored- instead of the < DO NOT SWEAR >. In the event that I use one of those words, it does save time.

But...I think some people take it to extremes when they swear.

JMK
Dec 4th, 2002, 06:32:45 PM
Now I get it. Thanks. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 4th, 2002, 11:14:24 PM
I'm tending to agree that the old style censor was better. No one wanted one of those in their posts.

TheHolo.Net
Dec 4th, 2002, 11:35:38 PM
I tried to convey that before it was changed, but so many were complaining about the old style of censor that I went ahead and changed it, though reluctantly.

Shawn
Dec 5th, 2002, 12:53:16 AM
I'm tending to agree that the old style censor was better. No one wanted one of those in their posts.I still saw lots of posts with "DO-NOT-SWEAR", over and over. It wasn't a deterrent. But if you want to change it back, go ahead.

Dyzm needs to learn to stop swearing so much, for one. He was warned in this thread:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25553

And he did so again in this thread:

http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25589

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2002, 02:31:02 AM
Well *I* sure as hell didn't put any in MY posts. Of course, i still don't. But people like Xazor and Mark have been putting them into their RP posts and into idle conversation.

Generally, IMO, swear words are a crutch for people who don't know how to use real words. So, lets change the censor to this:

-I apologize, I don't know how to use real words-

PLEASE? Can we?!?!

Taylor Millard
Dec 6th, 2002, 02:51:18 AM
:lol :lol :lol

YES!

Shawn
Dec 6th, 2002, 03:21:01 AM
IMO, "swear" words are no different than any other words, and the stigma placed around them is downright silly. But that's just me.

Taylor Millard
Dec 6th, 2002, 03:53:55 AM
Well I look at it this way...they're words you either choose to use or don't choose to use.

But that being said...Star Wars itself isn't a "vulgar" film (what's the worst word they used 'poodoo'? ;) :lol

Since there is a filter I don't think it right to abuse the <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> usage (yes I cursed on purpose so I could see the Censored bit).

But that being said, I know I have at least one character (Kazaar) who would drop a word or two if he were pissed.

Shawn
Dec 6th, 2002, 04:42:08 AM
I agree: I feel that there is definitely a need for a swear filter on this board, if only to keep the board family-friendly. Besides which, I think we would see many more flamewars without it. I was just offering my opinion as an aside, not related to the filter here at SWFans.

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2002, 05:46:56 AM
(what's the worst word they used 'poodoo'?
Some would say hell is bad :)

And although swear words are just words, I still say an overuse is evidence of the person having such a poor imagination that they cant be creative ;)

TheHolo.Net
Dec 6th, 2002, 11:14:09 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
And although swear words are just words, I still say an overuse is evidence of the person having such a poor imagination that they cant be creative ;) My thoughts, which I have expressed before, exactly.

JMK
Dec 6th, 2002, 11:26:18 AM
Are we all agreeing that Tarantino has no creativity then? Just checking. ;)

BTW, I like LD's form of censoring. It's hilarious.

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2002, 11:29:33 AM
Tarantino writes "real" dialogue though :)

And dont insult a fellow mod ;)

JMK
Dec 6th, 2002, 12:06:40 PM
C'mon, the question HAD to be asked. Who swears more than him?

Taylor Millard
Dec 6th, 2002, 12:13:57 PM
Me drunk...oh wait...I don't count.

Since I might as well be his twin. ;)

ReaperFett
Dec 6th, 2002, 12:18:59 PM
or his clone :)

Sanis Prent
Dec 6th, 2002, 02:17:31 PM
I dunno. In most cases, swear words do reflect poorly on someone's wit and intelligence, but there is an ARTFUL use to them that can be overlooked. I have perfected this in my everyday vernacular, and I've made people cry >D

Go no further than Full Metal Jacket :)

It is difficult to censor Tyle's wording at times, but I'll manage :p