View Full Version : The Dark Side of Irwin Kershner

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:02:16 PM
He directed Never Say Never Again.

Ow.

Once again, who wants him for Episode 3? Not I, that's for sure :x

ReaperFett
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:05:39 PM
He is 80, and the last thing he directed was Seaquest DSV :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:19:21 PM
Ow. 2 more strikes.

Ok, so what does the man have to his credit, ESB aside?

ReaperFett
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:24:47 PM
Return of a Man Called Horse, The
Flim-Flam Man, The
S*P*Y*S
Up the Sandbox

Never heard of em :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:47:10 PM
Yikes.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 30th, 2002, 08:35:46 PM
I saw "A Man Called Horse", with Rex Harris (son?) but I havent seen the second one.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 30th, 2002, 09:01:57 PM
It was Richard Harris right?

Taylor Millard
Nov 30th, 2002, 11:52:39 PM
Yes it was Richard Harris.

Darth23
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:32:00 AM
Didn't somebody get some wodden sticks shoved through his chest in that one?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Dec 1st, 2002, 04:47:00 AM
Thats it! I knew it was something like that....had the initials right :\

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:00:03 PM
Kirsh would have done a great job with ROTJ if he'd gotten the chance. But the story I've heard is that Lucas couldn't use him because of problems with the director's guild and how the credits were done. Something really ludicrous that isn't an issue anymore. Never Say Never Again wasn't that bad of a Bond movie for the time. The Kirsh movie I really detest is Robocop2. The violence in the movie is just rather tasteless IMO. Seeing a 12 year gun down cops and run a drug empire is in poor taste, at least for me.

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:29:19 PM
I think Lucas was proving that no matter who directed, ESB would be great ;)

And eb, I heard the reason he was used was because he WASNT in the guild. IIRC, Spielberg was asked once, but didnt want to break away.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:41:25 PM
I heard that too but I think Kirshner might have become a member or something, I am not sure. Also I agree with you Jedieb about Robcop 2 that was horrible showing that, the whole movie was terrible, the first one was a classic and they tear it up and make that POC. To me the third one was even better but not by much.

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:42:38 PM
third was the one where all the police left, yeah?

Admiral Lebron
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:13:48 PM
Yeah...with the ninjas..

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:25:35 PM
The Robot Ninjas and that Nazi General with Rip Torn as the head of OCEU

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:26:43 PM
Taht one was funny :)

JMK
Dec 1st, 2002, 03:20:56 PM
You could see the cables holding up Robocop when when he was using his jetpack. It made me want to cry.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:08:59 PM
Never Say Never Again wasn't that bad of a Bond movie for the time.

You are out of your ever-loving gourd, you stark-raving lunatic. And I say that with love. It's either the 2nd or 3rd worst Bond movie ever, depending on where you rank Dr. No and On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:20:01 PM
Sean Connery beats a hulking bad guy by throwing his own urine specimen in his face, what's not to love? Plus, the lovely Kim Basinger and Bond nails a different woman every 10 minutes. The motorcycle chase was good, and he got rid of Barbara Carerra in style. My gourd is doing quite well. ;)

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:24:16 PM
It was made to remind me why Moore will always be a better BOnd :)

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:31:08 PM
Moore better than Connery? You're right, that's why Moore has had such an awesome career outside of Bond films. Wait, that's Connery. Well, there's Moore Academy Award. No wait, that's Connery again. Well, Moore is still a box office draw. Wait, that's Connery yet again. Well, Moore can still get romantic leads despite being a senior citizen and bag leading ladies like Catherine Zeta Jones. Wait, that's Connery once AGAIN. Now what was that babbling about Moore being a better Bond? :lol

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:37:43 PM
Oh, then Mark Hamill must have been a great Luke Skywalker, look at his great career!

:)

I didnt say better actor. BETTER. BOND. :)

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:40:35 PM
Better acting gives you a better Bond. Look at how laughably bad Moore was in View to a Kill. He looked like he'd pass out whenever he tried anything outside of walking. Then there was that horrendous love scene with Grace Jones. I like Moore, but he's no Sean Connery and most people don't rank him above Connery. It's not even close. Glad you like him, but you're in a minority. :)

JMK
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:45:05 PM
The problem with that argument is that Hamill was the only Luke. Here we have basis for comparison.

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:53:51 PM
Here's the thing Eb. Moore was always great, and had bad films. Connery had good films, and was AWFUL at times, clearly in it for the money and with no heart. The one after Lazenby being the best example :)

The problem with that argument is that Hamill was the only Luke. Here we have basis for comparison.
I disagree. Two major franchises. Both household names. We can compare :)

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:00:21 PM
No, JMK's right, that comparison doesn't make sense. And Moore was NOT always great. He hung on to the role too long and his later performances were rather weak. I don't think Connery was ever awful. NSNA was a great performance in which he wan't afraid to poke fun at the role or his age. We have different opinions, but if you're arguing that Moore was a more succesful or popular Bond then I think you're fighting a hopeless battle. With critics and the film going public Connery easily beats Moore out. More often than not, when people talk about the character they always go back to Connery. That's just the way it is. :)

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:03:39 PM
Only because he's the original :)

And Im not arguing that he is more popular, just he's BETTER :)

Jedieb
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:05:47 PM
Not on the best day he ever had. :)

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:07:37 PM
You're right. He only needed an average day :)

JMK
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:10:27 PM
Makes no sense at all to compare Hamill as Luke to the Bond guys. Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. Period. Why? No one else EVER portrayed him. Who can you compare him to? Nobody, that's who.

5 different guys have played Bond now. There's tons of room there for comparison.

ReaperFett
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:11:50 PM
Thats the weakest excuse for Hamills acting I've ever heard!

j/k;)

JMK
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:55:11 PM
:lol
Who ever said he was great? He's just all there is to discuss...

JonathanLB
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:01:57 AM
1) All of the Robocop movies are sweet, especially the 3rd.

2) Moore has nothing on Connery. Brosnan, though, is the best Bond. I think EB is wrong, best actor != best bond. Connery is clearly the best actor of them all, he's way better than Brosnan in terms of showing a range of character portrayals, but Brosnan looks the most like what I would picture the Bond character being. He is sauve, he is witty, and he simply looks more like, well, Bond. I grew up with Connery, though, just to dispel that idea instantly. I saw every Connery Bond film many times as a kid, I really like him as Bond, but I just think Brosnan is the better Bond and I have thought that since after I saw Tomorrow Never Dies. Nonetheless, I think Connery has made the better Bond movies (Brosnan's are all very good, Goldeneye great, but Connery has a few classics that surpass any of Brosnan's in terms of plot especially).

3) Isn't Irvin Kirschner directing an upcoming movie? I want to say it is that incredibly awesome looking film Dreamcatcher, but I don't really know. I've seen that trailer twice and it looks just freaking awesome. I cannot wait for it. 2003 looks like a great year. It can't come soon enough...

Shawn
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:07:24 AM
All of the Robocop movies are sweet, especially the 3rd.I liked the first two... but the third (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0107978)? :eek

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:12:54 AM
I thought the third one was better than the second I wouldn't say it was good though. Jon, that is Kasadan comes out next Spring based on the Stephen King novel.

Shawn
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:18:30 AM
The second one wasn't particularly good, but it was watchable. The third one really struck me as horrible, though. Jet Packs? Machine Gun arm attachment? Android Ninjas? Ug.

ReaperFett
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:40:51 AM
Where he slashes ones face, so they can use two actors ;)

JonathanLB
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:39:43 AM
"Jon, that is Kasadan comes out next Spring based on the Stephen King novel."

Yeah I'm an idiot, haha. That's what I was thinking, SOME Star Wars guy doing that. I know it is based on a Stephen King novel, it looks amazing. Freaky trailer, very cool...

I thought Robocop 3 was good, I don't care what the retards at IMDB.com say. They're the same people who think The Goonies is a 6.9 or that See No Evil, Hear No Evil is way worse than Silver Streak when actually it's way funnier.

Robocop 3 has some awesome action scenes, I just like it overall, and the line at the end is classic. "My friends call me Murphy. But to you, it's ROBOCOP!" Heck yeah. Best movie ever. :D

Hey speaking of horror movies though, I am totally stoked! I had already registered my classes for next term, just on Tuesdays and Thursdays (four-day weekends every time for me, heck yeah), but I looked through the online course catalogue more for English classes, perhaps a different or additional writing class. Anyway, I stopped looking when I found this incredible class that I just had to add. I had 14 credits, but I don't care, I had to add this one!!!

It is English 220 and is entirely on the study of the film horror genre with an emphasis on studying the "subversive" possibilities of horror and better yet, the class fulfills a graduation core requirement for "Difference, Power, and Discrimination." There are 4 required books in the class:

American Horrors: Essays on the Modern American Horror Film Horror Film Reader
The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror
The Horror Genre

I'm very excited to take this class. It just fit in perfectly, Tuesday nights from 7 to 10. That means I have 9 hours of class on Tuesday, which is insane, but oh well. It is also my second film class this next term, third overall at OSU. More than I took at LMU as a film production major, haha. Seriously this class sounds so awesome.

So I have 17 credits now, but 4-day weekends still, can't be too disappointed with that. It also means I can take spring term easy if I want. I don't think I will, but if I go at this pace, I'll be finished a full two terms earlier than I was planning.

Roddy Two
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:03:09 PM
God Almighty, what prescription of rose-tinted glasses did you wear while watching Never Say Never Again? That movie sucked so hard, it collapsed inward on itself, and to this day is sucking other movies into its dark void.

JonathanLB
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:08:15 PM
ROFL, ok that was funny

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:22:39 AM
Sorry, forgot to argue a point:

You're right, that's why Moore has had such an awesome career outside of Bond films.
Roger Moore works more or less full time for UNICEF, a charity. He has been their figurehead for a number of years, travelling round the world. So technically, his career has been far better.

A few weeks back, there was a "Great Britons" nationwide poll over here (Churchill won). Was I to pick five, Roger Moore would be there.

Darth Viscera
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:40:21 AM
Churchill rules!

*blows his cheeks full of air so they look more round*

Someone give me a dundee cake!

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:39:14 AM
So technically, his career has been far better.
Are you on crack? We're not talking about who wants to impress Mother Teresa, we're talking about movie careers! And mentioning Roger Moore in the same breath as Churchill would be the equivalent of comparing George Hamiltion and FDR. :lol

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2002, 11:46:28 AM
1 - If someone gives part of their life to a cause other than movies, it is unfair to compare.

2 - I didnt say movie career, I said career :)

3 - He's done more than Diana, and she finished third!

JMK
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:53:44 PM
Yeah, but Diana is a HELL of a lot better looking than Moore. :lol

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2002, 12:55:42 PM
That doesnt mean anything! :)

Jedieb
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:00:44 PM
So your seriuosly comparing the "career" of Roger Moore with that of Winston Churchil?! If I were British and Moore made it anywhere near Churchil on such a list I don't know if I'd start crying before or after I put the paperwork in to renounce my citizenship. :lol

ReaperFett
Dec 14th, 2002, 08:24:07 PM
No eb. You see, was I to choose five, that doesnt mean they're all level. Churchill would be there, followed by an arra of various things. Diana wouldnt even make my 100, but there we go :)