PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Thanksgiving Foods

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 30th, 2002, 02:36:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I was just trying to hold on to the last shred of Thanksgiving glory that is bestowed upon us before the Christmas rush drives Turkey Day away. SO...I was wondering if anyone has any interesting traditions in their homes when it comes to food. We all know the conventional Thanksgiving meal: Turkey/ham, mashed potatoes, dressing/stuffing, cranberry sauce, and maybe veggies. So what else do you eat for Thanksgiving that is out of the ordinary?

For example, my Grandma makes oyester dressing every year (yuck!). It is quite a dish, I will say, but I don't like it. And it's weird because our ancestry is Irish, but my grandma and grandpa are definitely a MidWest US farm boy and girl family type.

What else?

Xenodoros Stormrider
Nov 30th, 2002, 05:35:25 PM
Cranberry sauce... I've eaten it... but I don't know how to apply it to the thanksgiving meal. o_O

As for me, it's turkey, in french bread with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and a side of coca-cola. It's better than it sounds. =P

Actually, I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving, that's just what we did this Thanksgiving

Ansatsu
Nov 30th, 2002, 11:19:06 PM
My family likes to cook fish and chicken instead of turkey...They only did it once though. Let me tell ya white snow crab legs are so good. This was last year though.

Sorus
Nov 30th, 2002, 11:53:47 PM
This year our pyrex cookware exploded spraying all of our food with glass.

So we ordered pizza.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:00:08 AM
Xen--sounds like a Turkey sandwhich! :D

Ansatsu--Snow Crad Legs?? Wow, what a Thanksgiving!!! Sounds delicious.

Sorus--Glass flavored turkey...that's a new one! :lol

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:09:10 AM
I am the chef at my house, and I'm responsible for all the big meals. For this thanksgiving, I basted a big turkey in a nice ginger/spice combination, stuffed with orange rind, served up with a spinach and ricotta tortellini, sweetrolls, and then a good traditional turkey dressing, four cheese mashed potatoes, ham in green beans, and candied yams. Follow that up with sweet tea, pecan pie, and my mom's apple pie...its not a bad combination.

Christmas, I generally don't go for turkey, because I prefer other things. For a few years, it was cornish hens, which are small whole chickens. Instead, I'm usually more inclined for a good creole-style blackened St. Louis strip, rare, with a good spread of cornbread and chili. Its not a traditional meal, but its fun. My friend's dad usually makes egg nog, which is the most potent thing in the universe. I've seen him drain a fifth of jack into a batch, and you can't taste a drop of booze in it.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:25:27 AM
Sounds like you are quite the chef, Keerrourri! Both of those meals sound delicious. I am in college, so I definitely will take anything I can get when I come home. Home cooking, is good cooking! :D

I love steak. My dad cooks excellent steaks. Usually, if they are on sale and look good, we will have Ribeye or T-bone. He marinates them all day in hickory smoke and other spices he adds (pepper, seasonings, and veggies) and then he cooks them about medium-rare for me and him and then well for my mother and my sister. They are very tastey--good old MidWest BBQ, I guess!!

We actually usual have cornish hens or ham for Christmas. So yeah, I know where you are coming with the hens. They are pretty tastey.

Gouyen Chee
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:35:04 AM
We (hubby and I) had Cornish game hens for Thanksgiving -- they take less time to roast and there's a hell of a lot less leftovers -- a ten-pound turkey for two is a bit much. The birds were roasted with a vegetible stuffing (low carb for that Atkins diet) and a side dish called armored turnips. It's turnips sliced thin and boiled for about half an hour, then layered with thinly sliced or shredded Cheddar cheese and dotted with a mixture of butter, pepper, cinnamon and ground ginger (it's a medieval recipe, so the spices sound a little strange). Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes and, voila!, the tastiest turnips this side of the 15th century.

Commander Zemil Vymes
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:45:56 AM
Actually Terran, if you're a college student, I can show you how to jazz up the college staple - ramen noodles.

Just serve up ramen as you normally would in broth, and add a quarter teaspoon of ground ginger, half teaspoon of soy sauce, half teaspoon of hot sauce, a pinch of chives, sesame seeds, and if you can find it, lemongrass. It'll do a world of wonder to the otherwise boring college staple.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:30:10 AM
Thanks for the tip, Commander. (Salutes :D) Sounds pretty good. I mostly eat at the caferteria, except weekends, and the food is subpar. I will definitely try some of "Commander Vymes Ramen Noodles." :D

Xazor Elessar
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:24:49 AM
:lol

The only thing strange that we eat is....venison steaks on the side (besides turkey and all the rest) Of course, I'm not much of a meat person anyway...and the thought of eating a sweet little dear absolutely appalls me. :lol So yeah...needless to say, neither my Mother nor I eat it...but my Father and Brother enjoy! :lol

Sorus
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:34:24 AM
I can do some nice things with Ramen noodles...

It's all I ate one month.

Figrin D'an
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:38:24 AM
The Thanksgiving meal in my family is, for the most part, typical. The traditional turkey (although we have done ham at least twice before) and the traditional sides: stuffing (but with rice rather than breadcumbs), mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, a light vinegrette salad, sweet potato "pie" (it's really a soufflé), and all of the usual garnishments. Dessert is usually a choice of several different kinds of pie... pumpkin pie is a necessity, as is my aunt's sour cream and raisin pie (best pie ever... it's amazing).

In my family, Thanksgiving is as much about the pre-meal snacks as it is about the actual meal. A meats and cheese platter is always present, with various types of crackers. Some type of smoked fish is always around, as well. This year, it was two types of trout. Hot apple cider is the popular beverage for the day. Being the wine connoisseur in the family, I'm usually responsible for finding appropriate meal and dessert wines, for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, although I do sometimes contribute a dish to the meal or pre-meal itself.

Figrin D'an
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:42:32 AM
Venison is excellent if it is prepared correctly. Unfortunately, many people don't take the time to learn properly, and it ends up with a bit of "wild" taste to it, which tends to drive people away. It's extremely lean, though, and is healthier red meat than beef by far.

Kirrto McKavity
Dec 1st, 2002, 04:19:55 AM
sweat potato "pie"

sweat potato?

x_x

Sorus
Dec 1st, 2002, 04:55:15 AM
Yeah.. some people turn those icky mushy orange things into a pie.. which is just as nasty.

Orange foods are evil.

Figrin D'an
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:49:15 AM
Originally posted by Kirrto McKavity
sweat potato?

x_x

It's called a typo, which has since been corrected... live with it.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:00:50 AM
I forgot about the snacky foods. Our house staple are sausage balls.

Dae Jinn
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:02:17 AM
Originally posted by Sorus
Orange foods are evil.

I'd have to agree......And deer is yummy, deer burgers ;) MMM MMM good. :lol

Since my oven is weird, I hardly eat meat at all anymore, but I do fry hamburger with some onion, then cover it in bar-b-q sauce. Yummy :) :lol

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:41:12 PM
Sasague balls sound pretty interesting. Like meatballs?

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:53:23 PM
Sausage balls are awesome...Im not sure what Charley's version is like, but i always take bread dough and cheese, mix it up real well, and roll it around the sausage then cook.....tis awesome!

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:56:06 PM
Sounds quite tasty! :p

You know, this thread has definitely been a good resource for some new recipie ideas. Could you imagine it? I can see it now...

"The Star Wars Fans.Net Cookbook" :D

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 1st, 2002, 03:04:38 PM
*runs to copyright* :p

Leeloo Mina
Dec 1st, 2002, 03:25:25 PM
My dad makes these pies out of dreamwhip or something with cherries on top almost every thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 04:57:00 PM
My sausage balls use Jimmy Dean hot sage sausage, bisquick, and sharp cheddar, with cayenne pepper mixed in to taste. They should be very spicy :)

Gitane Blesse
Dec 1st, 2002, 05:09:05 PM
:D A proud family tradition for every Thanksgiving.... PINK STUFF.

And no, I don't mean Pepto.

It's something my Grandma makes with Strawberries and whip cream, peacans, and Lord knows whatelse.. It kind of scares me.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:01:01 PM
Sounds pretty scary...pink stuff.....OOoooohhhhh (a shuder)

:D

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:05:14 PM
My mom has a really nice holiday cider. It involves cranberry juice, apple juice, orange and pineapple juice, cloves, cinnamon, cherries, and lord knows what else. I'm just now learning how to make it...except mine uses rum :)

Silus Xilarian
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:06:31 PM
why am i not surprised :lol

When im bored and hungry I'll go in the fridge and mix every kinda sauce i can find to make some totitos dip.....If it sux, add cheese.....if it still sux, somethings outta date :p

Gitane Blesse
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:07:34 PM
http://thanksgiving.allrecipes.com/az/PinkStuff.asp

Pink Stuff Recipe. :D 'Cept my grandmum uses Strawberries, I think.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:26:25 PM
Ah...cheese dip.

I have a rather notorious cheese dip that is unfortunately far too spicy for most to eat. It uses velveeta cheese, jalapenos, tomatos, habaneros, dried chinese chilis, red and green mixed chilis, and enough cayenne to turn it orange. Chili is also optional :)

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:15:24 PM
Sanis--sounds like your tastes are way too hot for mine!! Habaneros?? Ouch...:D I do like cheese dip, though.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 07:36:13 PM
Oh no doubt. I spice everything up. I've even been known to eat "red grits" (grits and tabasco). At breakfast, I put hot sauce on my biscuits, hash browns, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. Everything.

Depending on the lunch and dinner cuisine, I spice whatever I can.

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 09:31:39 PM
It's just a certain taste, I guess. I mean, I literally cannot handle the spicy stuff. It burns my mouth. Some people find that burn plesant, or it doesn't burn at all. Those people, I commend. :D

Dae Jinn
Dec 1st, 2002, 09:46:42 PM
Chickie is like, the Chef here :lol I can't cook at all...well, I know how to, I just don't. Makes the dumb smoke alarm go off, since my apartment is too small :cry

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:03:53 PM
I own 24 cook books, have access to over 1,100,000 recipes, and my favorite channel is the Food Network. I'd hope I was the top dog chef around these parts :p

Kelt Simoson
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:06:03 PM
*Eats Charlys cooking*....Hes right..tis good!

Dae Jinn
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:06:45 PM
I was thinking the other day that you should get a show on the Food Network! :lol!!!!! You could be...the fully clothed chef ;) :lol

Kelt Simoson
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:08:19 PM
I can imagin that ya know..charly with his own show...hmm..

Gouyen Chee
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:18:20 PM
Ahh, a kindred spririt. :D I love to cook -- the more involved, the better. A couple of years ago I did a complete medieval feast for Xmas: roast bourbeliere of pork, the afore-mentioned armored turnips, a mushroom dish called funges, and an authentic mincemeat (with the emphasis on the meat) pie baked in a "coffin" (loaf pan). Tasty stuff *drool*.

Leeloo Mina
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:21:14 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I own 24 cook books, have access to over 1,100,000 recipes, and my favorite channel is the Food Network. I'd hope I was the top dog chef around these parts :p

Then why don't you microwave Easy Mac or whatever that stuff is? ;)

Originally posted by Dae Jinn
I was thinking the other day that you should get a show on the Food Network! :lol!!!!! You could be...the fully clothed chef ;) :lol

Why not nude? Or almost nude? :lol

THE NUDIE CHEF!

He and the naked ranger could have parties. One could kill the food and the other could cook it.

Dae Jinn
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:51:23 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great idea Leeloo! :D

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:57:01 PM
Gouyen and Sanis--It's cool that you like to cook. My dad is a great chef--he makes all kinds of stuff. His best is BBQ--he is a really, really good grill-man. I am trying to learn, but being away at college kinda puts a damper and me and pop's training sessions.

Gouyen--a medieval feast sounds really cool! That is neat that you did that. All for your love of the cousine? I love to eat...does that count??? :lol

Gouyen Chee
Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:57:24 AM
Yeah, Terran, that counts -- you get to wash the dishes. >D

Sorus
Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:50:31 AM
Originally posted by Leeloo Mina
Why not nude? Or almost nude? :lol

THE NUDIE CHEF! Never fry bacon in the nude. I will save you the grief I went through, learning this lesson the hard way..

Sanis Prent
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:40:35 AM
Terran, barbecue at college is EASY. I can give you hints, but I'm not gonna give it all away.

First, take a pork roast (boston butt will do nicely), then rub it down in salt, pepper, and spice. I use Tony Chachere's rather frequently. Sit that in a crock pot, and set it to slow cook for 8 hours. Once that's done, find a large gallon bag to stuff the roast into, and dump the juice inside. Keep it in the fridge overnight. The next day, take a deep aluminum pan and drain the juice into it. Lay the roast on a cutting board and chip it. You can do this by hand...the meat should be very loose and tender, or you can do it with a knife. Once its in very small pieces, put that in the pan, with the juice. Now, your sauce...this is where I can't help you. I will say that my sauce is both sweet and spicy...and also has a large amount of whiskey in it. But that's all I can say of it, sorry :) At any rate, apply the sauce to the dish in a liberal manner, and then fire up a grill on low heat. Put tin foil over the pan, and set the whole thing on the grill, and close it up. Cook for an hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Stirring is important, as you don't want the sauce to caramelize too much (Though some is a good thing). After that, pull the tray off the grill (use oven mitts :)) and set it on the cutting board to cool a bit. A dish like that can feed anywhere from 4-8, depending on appetite. Enjoy.

And Leeloo...the Easy Mac thing is born out of total convenience ;)

Zasz Grimm
Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:47:08 AM
I wasn't home this Thanksgiving, I was at a hotel.

But regardless, I had Whataburger for lunch, and cup-a-noodle at night, that we made with the coffee maker.

That was my dinner.

:D

Dae Jinn
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:05:22 AM
Whataburger is real??? Didn't they have that on tv??? :lol

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:08:12 AM
Sanis--that sounds like an awesome recipie! I will definitely have to try it out if I get the chance to BBQ. And there is nothing--and I mean nothing--wrong with some Easy Mac!

Gouyen--cook me a medieval feast, and I have no problem cleaning up the dishes! :D

Whattaburger is quite real, Dae! I ate at one in Alebequeque (sp?) New Mexico one year.

Dae Jinn
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:16:12 AM
We don't have them here....I think they had it on King of the Hill :lol

And easy mac = ew. I haven't eaten KD since that time it made me feel sick....

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Dec 2nd, 2002, 12:57:08 PM
I should post a typical Cizerack Thanksgiving meal >D

Gouyen Chee
Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:23:06 PM
Do we really want to know? :x

Zasz Grimm
Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:45:02 PM
Yes, Whataburger is real! They are all over Texas. Quite good food, actually.

You Whata-size it all, and get the #2...It's so good.

Oh, and don't forget the Extra Vegitables.

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:56:19 PM
Originally posted by Keerrourri Sarrtarroa
I should post a typical Cizerack Thanksgiving meal >D

Could take awhile....but you're right....you should :evil

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:57:34 PM
I agree with Darren--do tell, Gouyen! :D

Taataani Meorrrei
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:00:58 PM
Ohh...Thanksssgjivjing....let me sssee...

Well, we usssualljy ssstarrrt wjith a cow that we've fattened up forrr a few monthsss. One of mjy malesss wjill put a kjill bjite on jit, and the blood and entrrrajilsss wjill be emptjied out and mjixed up to make a fessstjive holjidajy punch, wjith ssspjicesss and rrrum. The cow'sss abdomen wjill be hollowed out, and fjilled wjith whateverrr ljive forrrda jisss avajilable....usssualljy sssajoji, nala frrrogsss, rrrabbjitsss, and majybe sssome food-bjirrrdsss (make sssurrre to leave thejirrr wjingsss uncljipped...jit'sss morrre fun to catch them asss thejy trrrjy to fljy awajy). Leave a ssstrrrjing of the cow'sss entrrrajilsss to sssew up the anjimal'sss belljy, and hold the otherrr forrrda jinsssjide. Thjisss trrradjitjional food serrrvesss anjywherrre frrrom fourrr to ejight, dependjing on appetjite. The cow'sss head rrressstsss jin the blood-punch bowl.

Now jisssn't that fun??? jI love the holjidajysss!

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:04:19 PM
*paints stripes onto his face*

Can I come over for dinner :D

Taataani Meorrrei
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:05:24 PM
Can I come over for dinner

Do be carrreful what jyou wjisssh forrr :cat

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:16:11 PM
riiiiiiight........Rephrase.....

Can I come over fo dinner....without being eaten :)

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:16:46 PM
:lol

Taataani Meorrrei
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:18:39 PM
That'sss betterrr....jI'll sssee jif therrre'sss rrroom forrr anotherrr jin the feedjing den :)

(saunters off)

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:58:50 PM
Nice description, though I some troubling interrpreting the dialect. :)

Darren Caerdeth
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:01:58 PM
If they were easy to understand, then they wouldnt be Cizeracks :)

imported_Terran Starek
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:03:59 PM
True--good point. Thanks for the clarification, Darren. :p

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:06:40 PM
bakame forrda.....

Severen
Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:23:55 PM
I cant see anything really apatiseing about a human, Sanis Prent for exsample..but i aint no Cizersnak..err rack so i wouldent know. :)