PDA

View Full Version : Morgan's Big Stupid Rant about Characters with Too Many Roles

Morgan Evanar
Nov 29th, 2002, 04:49:15 PM
Really folks. Sit down for a bit, and think about it.

How much time do you have in a day? How would you feel about working two very different jobs, full time?

Well, thats how I view the whole mucky-yuck. I don't like people who claim full alligiances beyond one group. There is that whole physical location thing, followed by the whole commitment thing.

IMO, a Jedi has time to be Jedi. A pilot is a pilot, because thats what he has time for.

A bounty hunter is out searching for that thing that will net him his next hit. Etcetera.

I understand having aspirations to do other things, but there is a really easy way to do that, too. Click the register button.

Sanis Prent
Nov 29th, 2002, 05:12:32 PM
I've no qualms about Jedi who are pilots. That is rather consistently canon :)

Morgan Evanar
Nov 29th, 2002, 06:53:08 PM
I have no problem with ones who used to be pilots, or use it as a form of transportation. However, it ideally will be minor.

Slayn Cloak
Nov 29th, 2002, 07:00:25 PM
I like rants...

Captain Tyle
Nov 29th, 2002, 07:08:19 PM
Lets see...considering that no fewer than three force users in the movies actively use the force AND engage in fighter combat, I don't see the purpose of such a rant.

I'll agree on the fact that people need to be specialized to a degree, but as far as Jedi fighter pilots...that seems to be something that can be common

Morgan Evanar
Nov 29th, 2002, 07:37:08 PM
I suppose my title is very apt then. =p

Sejah Haversh
Nov 29th, 2002, 08:34:38 PM
Don't worry, you won't see Sejah becoming a fighter pilot anytime soon. He gets motion sickness really easy.

Silus Xilarian
Nov 29th, 2002, 08:58:55 PM
Could you say that again...IC, to Silus >D :p

imported_Eve
Nov 29th, 2002, 10:12:25 PM
You like rants? I like when MORGAN rants.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 29th, 2002, 11:24:22 PM
More Rants eh?

Everyday, I come to the boards seeing something new, but NO! its the same boring old crap. The Imperials are trying to gain power, the Jedi are sitting around, and the Sith are bored out of their freaking minds. Why are they bored? I'll tell you, every RP we try to start, we find ourselves fighting only Jedi Apprentices! One or Two masters might move around a bit, but on average, you can find more movement in a dumpster of rotting corpses!
I want this to change. We need more action. Itala was a dick, sure, but did any of you notice how active this place got for a while? We need more Board RP's!

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 29th, 2002, 11:40:46 PM
*gives Dyzm a sedative*

Everything'll be ok..

I think I understand Morgan's rant, and agree with it.

Pilot Akito
Nov 29th, 2002, 11:42:44 PM
An RP....

What an exelent Idea..

I'll get back to you on that one...

Let me get this bucket of bolts working again...

Morgan Evanar
Nov 30th, 2002, 12:19:06 AM
I'll tell you, every RP we try to start, we find ourselves fighting only Jedi Apprentices!

Yeah, thats because they're challenges or something, and you aren't talking to any Knights or Masters. Who's fault is that?

AIM, PM, etc. Start a topic in this forum. Hey, these are some of the ideas I have. I need a Jedi Knight, maybe a Master.

Sorry, that sort of thing don't fly 'round here Dyzm. Not my fault you aren't talking to the other RPers about specfic RPs.

We need more action. Itala was a dick, sure, but did any of you notice how active this place got for a while? We need more Board RP's!
Quality > Quantity. Itala wrote utter godmoding tripe. This place is just as active as it was then, if not more so. What we need is to FINISH RPs.

Cherice St_Hilare
Nov 30th, 2002, 02:05:03 AM
I don't mind it when Jedi are also pilots, but what nerves me is when someone is a Sith but then say they're also a bounty hunter, a craftsman, a pilot (and the list goes on and on). Okay, so it was a crummy example, but at least it gets the point through. If you make a character, don't make them be like the Jack of All Trades, because then you won't be the master of one. :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 30th, 2002, 04:48:27 AM
Sorry, that sort of thing don't fly 'round here Dyzm. Not my fault you aren't talking to the other RPers about specfic RPs.

I don't like planned RP's, takes most of the thrill out. It feels like using a game book to beat a game. You know everything which is going to happen. I like some of the old fights we had when we first joined.

Dark Sith Lord enters room
Jedi sees him, lightsabers spring out from cloak**
Alpha Jumps down from the Rafters (Yes, he did it alot back then)
Lightsaber's clash, more and more sith and Jedi join
Story finally comes out, the sith are attacking and creating a diversion while 1 sith in particular tries to steal a Sith Artifact found hidden under such and such.
A jedi breaks out to stop him. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I have seen people start a thread called "Sabatoge to the Jedi Fortress (open)" Yet it dies before anyone else posts. This is what I am talking about, open threads dying like a Dog before anyone does anything.

Edit: Under your Def, I need to post this:
I want people to gamble! Everyone is welcome! And then everyone is going to be captured by the insane ship's brain which will go rogue in the thread! Only to be stopped after much fighting and hurting and killing is finished! (this is a real RP I am trying to start, but it won't go exactly like that, I am just trying to make a point):
http://216.73.105.30/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25416

In my opinion, it ruins the entire RPING experiance. Which is why I have almost completely stopped RPing. It is to by the book.

ReaperFett
Nov 30th, 2002, 06:47:02 AM
I sortof agree. WHile you can dual role or whatever, some are a bit iffy. For example, you could be a Jedi and a Pilot, no problem. You could be a Jedi and lead an independant squadron. Heck, Fett used to be an NRI agent, that was plausable. It all depends on:

- Are you trying to do too much in one go? (IE, when Fett was NRI, he wasnt running round doing Jedi things too)

- Do the jobs conflict? (IE, Jedi and Bounty Hunter)

- Do the jobs aid oneanother? (This is a positive side. For example, a Jedi could become a BH BECAUSE he needs to find someone, and is doing it quietly)

Shawn
Nov 30th, 2002, 06:55:55 AM
A couple of things to reply to here:

Generally, I find that planning out RPs ahead of time works much, much better. If you don't plan them, they usually go unfinished.

Lots of threads die without getting any replies. I think the problem is that you have to make your opening posts interesting, with an obvious opportunity for someone else to jump in. I see several threads start off like "I walk down the street, looking around me". That's it. It lacks anything that might interest another party to join in. Even if someone does want to join in, they'd have to struggle to find a way to work their character in.

And, to switch to another topic: Just what exactly do you expect Jedi to do? If Sith want to be active, they go out and start threads about killing lots of innocents. If a Jedi wants to be active they... what? Start a thread about helping some people? The GJO does, in fact, have a thread of that nature going on in the Storytelling forum. But I imagine it wouldn't be terribly interesting to start 30 threads about helping out NPCs. :)

[/opinion]

Sorus
Nov 30th, 2002, 07:01:45 AM
Ah, well, Sorus has multiple roles only because he flat out lies about what he does :)

ReaperFett
Nov 30th, 2002, 07:07:04 AM
Sith: Walks into town, massacres all!

Jedi: Helps an old granny across the road.

You're right, one isnt as dramatic ;)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 30th, 2002, 01:04:33 PM
Jedi could be exploring, investigating current murders, witness protection, or just plain patrolling and keeping the peace. Sounds a bit like a "Jump" Into thread to me if I find these.

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 01:06:43 PM
Damnation...as if this dead horse needed another beating.

Dyzm, treat your cataracts, and you'll actually be able to see an open challenge every now and then.

Estelle Russard
Nov 30th, 2002, 04:08:52 PM
I personally get lost in big-boardwide battle RP's.

Not that I dont try, but basically I feel im just floating about the place for the most part.

As for Morg's rant - I agree, too many hats make a very frustrating character to try to interact with.

But, I dont think a Jedi pilot is bad. Isnt that what Lukey was?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 30th, 2002, 07:28:46 PM
I'll only say that if I seem overly brulesque, it's because I'm on 18 gazillion tablets of painkiller because of a tooth that is split and I'm simply not in the mood to moderate my words to politeness.

For god's sake, shut up with the Jedi do nothing BS. We're not here for your purposes or statisfication. Shut up with the same old boring whines and moans. It's pathetic and frankly, a whole steaming pile. You want a better experience, it is totally and utterly up to you... YOU. YOU. Not me or anyone else. If your stopped RP'ing cause of something, then you better look at yourself, cause it's YOUR fault, not anyone elses. I'm having a right blast. So, what are you doig wrong?

I'm thinking your not talking to a Jedi and workign some senario out. It seems Jedi are fully capable of Roleplaying without Sith and enjoying themselves and being highly active. It seems groups of players have fun together and work things out into some sort of agreeable situation. Sith kills lots of people is IMO, repeditive and boring. And murder is well... not the sign of the Dark Side. It just shows lack of morals or sanity. How about trying somethign different and unusual, or something compelling and / or with a touch of humour?How about talking to Jedi and / or others and arranging something? You cant just post "Look, I'm murdering people!!" And just expect someone to turn up. Put some thought and communication into it laddie.

As I have said before, the best roleplays do have some sort of plannign and purpose, are compelling or have a hook that gets people to WANT to continue.

Darren Caerdeth
Nov 30th, 2002, 07:42:31 PM
Not trying to be insulting or anything, but I have seen at least 4 Jedi masters in RPing posting open challenges recently...One of these open challenges, if I recall correctly, was answered by two Sith Knights I believe. Im not downing them for responding at all, as they have every single right to, but I dont see whats stopped you from joining, rather than them....

Telan Desaria
Nov 30th, 2002, 07:45:43 PM
Just wanted to add something from the above...Imperials are trying to grab power...

That's what we are supposed to do. We rp alot. I have several threads going at once...so you can't say the Empire's inactive.

imported_Grev Drasen
Dec 1st, 2002, 06:28:40 PM
Everyday, I come to the boards seeing something new, but NO! its the same boring old crap. The Imperials are trying to gain power, the Jedi are sitting around, and the Sith are bored out of their freaking minds. Why are they bored? I'll tell you, every RP we try to start, we find ourselves fighting only Jedi Apprentices! One or Two masters might move around a bit, but on average, you can find more movement in a dumpster of rotting corpses!
I want this to change. We need more action. Itala was a dick, sure, but did any of you notice how active this place got for a while? We need more Board RP's!Cold and myself are roleplaying against two Jedi Masters (Akrabbim & Anbira, I believe) as we speak, and I just finished a thread with Grev fighting against Alpha. Plus, I just joined a new thread against a Jedi Padawan a few days ago. So I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe you're not looking enough... perhaps they fear you?