PDA

View Full Version : New proposed NFL overtime formats

JMK
Nov 28th, 2002, 11:09:40 AM
1. Stay the same as now

2. If it's tied AFTER each team has the ball, then it goes to sudden death

3. First team to 6 points.

I vote for #3, I think that would be very exciting. No more ties, and it would make for some absolutely huge plays. Imagine a kickoff returned for a TD in overtime? Or a 50 yard field goal with each team already having scored a field goal?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2002, 11:38:21 AM
I would like to see it done like College and high school, but that is just me. Is that # 2?

Darth23
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:02:17 PM
I think they should keep in Sudden Death, but with as many periods as necessary for someone to score. :D

I'm sure that TV would HATE that.

Jedieb
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:08:13 PM
I think each team should get at least 1 possesion. After that, let the rules stay the same.

jjwr
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:29:49 PM
Hmm....I like #2 and #3.

#2 is interesting as it gives each team a chance to win and then possibly goes to a sudden death. But you also get the same problems, each team gets a possession and drives the length of the field for a TD. Ok now we're in sudden death, Team A wins the Coin Flip, drives to the 35yd line and hits a FG to win the game. Same result just taking longer.

#3 definetly works, a TD can still win but TD's aren't exactly super easy to come by and if you hold on defense and force a FG that gives your team a shot back at winning with a TD or putting yourself right back in itby getting a FG.

Only problem with this is how long that could take, you could have 3 drives for FG's which take 6+ minutes each which would make the game incredibly long. Would you enforce a 15 Minute Quarter and if 6pts haven't been scored at the end then its a Tie?

JMK
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:37:17 PM
Nah, I'd keep going. No timeouts, no clock stopping except for injuries, and maybe a new 1 minute warning.