PDA

View Full Version : Hayden and Lucas Make Frigid 50

JMK
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:39:32 PM
FilmThreat (http://www.filmthreat.com/Features.asp?Id=569) has posted the top 10 of their list of the 50 coldest actors in Hollywood:
9. HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
Darth Vader as you've never seen him...a pouty, petulant faux-teen with a sissy voice. A worldwide hunt for the new Anakin in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones resulted in... HIM? What happened, did Lucas lose Lynn Stalmaster's phone number?
39. GEORGE LUCAS
You don't get it. You just don't get it, do you? While Attack of the Clones was certainly a step in the right direction for the waning Star Wars franchise, it may have been too little too late. For the third trilogy in the promised nine-part saga, you might consider hiring others to handle the parts of the filmmaking process that... uh, you know... aren't your strengths. You know, little filmmaking details like the writing and directing.

IMO, if they're going to trash actors....don't bash directors, or other non-actors. :rolleyes

ReaperFett
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:49:47 PM
Crowe top, good job :)

The rest was a bit dumb. Just check SPielberg at #21 or so, and the reason

ReaperFett
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:51:36 PM
40. DIRECTORS THAT INSIST ON PUTTING THEIR OWN “TOUCH” ON SUPERHERO MOVIES
Industry players like Tim Burton and Guillermo del Toro need to take the lead from Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer, the only directors in decades to make a superhero movie that stayed true to the original comic books. With the upcoming "Superman vs. Batman" movie, Darren Aronofsky originally being attached to "Batman: Year One" and rumors of McG helming "Superman Lives" before it sunk back into oblivion, we can only wish that overly stylized directors will show some restraint when tinkering with our beloved pop culture icons.
I've read Blade, when he fought Gambit. Del Torro had him done good.

42. JAMES BOND
Wait a sec. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Sorry, what were we talking about? What? There’s another Bond movie out? Eh, we’ll wait for video.
Your loss :)

...IN FACT, check the sidebar, where they review DAD. Hmm, what changed? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:08:15 PM
They trashed anyone in Hollywood, not just actors - it was clear to me that was the intent.

I have no laughed so hard in weeks. Thanks for the link!

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2002, 10:37:54 PM
Well if that is the case then I guess they are just being saterical and it is probably good for a laugh, I would look at meaning anything.

Dae Jinn
Nov 25th, 2002, 10:52:17 PM
Originally posted by JMK
9. HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
Darth Vader as you've never seen him...a pouty, petulant faux-teen with a sissy voice. A worldwide hunt for the new Anakin in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones resulted in... HIM? What happened, did Lucas lose Lynn Stalmaster's phone number?

Actually, I saw Hayden on a Canadian tv show....he was reallllllllly awful :lol Haven't seen AOTC yet, so can't judge his performance.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 26th, 2002, 01:24:10 AM
wait... promised 9 part saga?

ReaperFett
Nov 26th, 2002, 04:37:23 AM
Yes, the story about SW movies that ended TWENTY YEARS AGO! :)

JonathanLB
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:31:48 AM
I am guilty of criticizing movies in my reviews when I could not have done better, but I stray from criticizing the PEOPLE. I sometimes might slip and write something to that effect, but if I ever do, it is a mistake and I try to correct it. For instance, I will not say, "Whoever directed Jason X is a hack,"I will say simply, "The direction of Jason X, by (so and so), was pathetic." That doesn't mean I think the director himself is actually bad, same goes with actors, although if I say "so and so is horrible," I mean in the film I'm reviewing, because it'd be silly for me to say whether or not they're good/bad in anything else.

I say that above because I think anyone who criticizes Lucas as a director had better have several Best Director nominations and at least TWO movies on the AFI top 100 list. Because Lucas does. He is one of the greatest directors of all time, although he simply hasn't had the numerous opportunities to showcase his talents that other directors have. I don't think I'd put Lucas on my top 10 best director list (not yet, anyway, he would make the top 20 probably), just because he has not done enough movies, but when the AFI made their list he had only directed two films for studios, Star Wars and American Graffiti, and both made the list. THX 1138 was a student film. He has more talent in his left pinky than that idiotic writer has or ever will have at anything. Especially critical analysis of film.

Some people seem to forget, and time will do this, but Lucas and Star Wars received a BEST SCREENPLAY nomination in 1978 at the Oscars. The screenplays are all excellent, my favorites, and Lucas is both a great director and a great writer. People seem to think that Lucas has admitted to being a poor writer, which is totally absurd. He never has. He simply said that writing comes more difficult for him than a lot of other things, and there is nothing wrong with that. Many things have come more difficult to me in various school subjects that I still got solid A's in. Just because something is hard for me doesn't mean I'm not great at it. The same is true with Lucas. He may not really enjoy the writing process and it is really hard, for most people actually (even I have to make myself write, it doesn't just flow naturally always), but he is still a consumate professional.

I get very annoyed by these statements people pass around as fact like, "We ALL KNOW that Lucas isn't a very good writer," or "We all know that dialogue has never been Lucas's strength." Uhhhhh, who all knows that? I guess I must be out of the loop, so the most quoted, most quotable films of all time do not have good dialogue? Wow you could have fooled me. As I recall, "May the Force be with you" is the most acclaimed movie saying of all time in many polls, but Lucas isn't a good dialogue writer. Wow, you learn something new every day. NOT.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 26th, 2002, 12:12:36 PM
Obviously these guys know nothing if they think there will be another 3 SW movies some day.

Darth Viscera
Nov 26th, 2002, 08:09:17 PM
I wish Irvin Kershner would do III.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 26th, 2002, 09:45:22 PM
I don't think Kershner is that good of a director he has done nothing good since TESB unless you think RoboCop 2 is a great film. I would like to see Kasadan to do the screenplay mostly becuase he was great at dialogue.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 27th, 2002, 02:10:49 AM
Hehehe, I wonder how twisted the movie would get if Tim Burton Directed.

ReaperFett
Nov 27th, 2002, 02:47:56 AM
If Im remembering the right person, Kershner is pennyless these days, as noone is willing to work with him.

flagg
Nov 27th, 2002, 03:38:18 AM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
Haven't seen AOTC yet, so can't judge his performance.

Huh? Wuh? Buh? :huh

Darth Viscera
Nov 27th, 2002, 05:44:34 AM
I thought that Robocop 2 was a great film. Especially when the little league team robbed a store, then their coach started shooting at Robocop, and was shot in the head in return, and they let the 20 little bastards go free.

Ep 3 NEEDS the kind of inherent darkness that ESB had. I don't trust GL's skills at all anymore; he WILL screw up ep 3 if left to his own devices. He needs a good man like Kershner.

Dae Jinn
Nov 27th, 2002, 10:11:52 AM
Originally posted by flagg
Huh? Wuh? Buh? :huh

I've only seen the OT, none of the edited "newer" versions of OT and I haven't seen TPM or AOTC. :o

Darth23
Nov 27th, 2002, 09:28:22 PM
You know that SUCKS about Film Threat?

Not the fact that they hate Star Wars. What sucks is that they put out a documentary DVD called Star Woids which chrolocled the lining up groups and the hypw keading up to TPM's premiere.

They're totally smopnging off of Star Wars' success while trashing it att he same time.

I bought the dvd - the movie is pretty good. Only when I got home and opened it up did I realize it was released by Film Threat.

There's not even a HINT of how much they hate the franchise in the movie. There are even interview segments with Kevin Smith, who also provides an intro and he ttalks about how much he liked TPM, and about how (and why) he knew some fans were going to Bash it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 27th, 2002, 10:25:58 PM
I honestly thought I remember Film Threat giving AOTC a good review, I could be thinking of a different magazine. Back to Kirshner, well Robocop 2 was terrible the whole Robocop series went down the drain with that one, RoboCop 3 was a little better but only because I got really grossed out with the Brain sequence with Kain, that was disgusting and really messed up. Kirshner's career went down the drain after that. But he was never that big before, the biggest film before TESB was a James Bond film. Also I am okay with Lucas doing it, he did a good job with AOTC in my opinion, I would like to see him get Kasadan back to some the dialogue (Lucas is weak on dialogue IMO) Kasadan came up with some of the best lines in the OT, I feel and to me he is really more the reason than Kirshner that TESB is such a great film.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 27th, 2002, 10:47:16 PM
Fact is guy's/gals it does not matter what Lucas does he will be trashed. Anything Lucas has his name on will be trashed(other than his leading film into a new direction.

If Lucas had the guy who directed LOTR secretly direct EP3 and It was perfect and Lucas put his name on it, IT would be trashed.Now I'm not the smartest person so SURELY I can't be the only one that see's that:huh Lucas can not win for losing. If people trashed Lucas because they Really thought that way about him that would be fine. But jealousy is a different story:(

Darth Viscera
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:05:24 AM
Yes, precious! Better dialogue! Bring back Kasadan then.

Small things like the Millenium Falcon trying to power up on Hoth and sounding like a '66 Chevy Nova with a bad battery while the Imperials were overruning the base really made a difference, as well as the photography of the Rebel troops in their trenches, looking out towards the oncoming armored battle lines. It was just a superior film, and the spirit of Star Wars has never been captured so delightfully as in ESB. Whatever they have to do.

I mean, I'm going to be watching this movie, good or bad, for the next 75 years, and at my funeral some cheese will probably toss in an isolinear chip of the whole saga in HD. I want to make sure that I have something watchable to watch for all eternity!

JMK
Nov 28th, 2002, 10:21:04 AM
It was just a superior film, and the spirit of Star Wars has never been captured so delightfully as in ESB.

I concur 110%.

Darth23
Nov 28th, 2002, 06:13:30 PM
Originally posted by Darth Viscera
Yes, precious! Better dialogue! Bring back Kasadan then.

Small things like the Millenium Falcon trying to power up on Hoth and sounding like a '66 Chevy Nova with a bad battery while the Imperials were overruning the base really made a difference, as well as the photography of the Rebel troops in their trenches, looking out towards the oncoming armored battle lines. It was just a superior film, and the spirit of Star Wars has never been captured so delightfully as in ESB. Whatever they have to do.

I mean, I'm going to be watching this movie, good or bad, for the next 75 years, and at my funeral some cheese will probably toss in an isolinear chip of the whole saga in HD. I want to make sure that I have something watchable to watch for all eternity!

The Tie Fighter battle and the Death Star battle in AHN blow away anything in ESB.

Empire gave us *wonderful* dialogue - like the whole fuzzball/laserbrain exchange. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:07:49 PM
Well I actually like that dialogue :p I still liked most of the dialogue of AOTC, I think they are different movies really since they are really dealing with different trilogy. Hopefully he will still get help with dialogue like he did for AOTC though, I still think that is his weak point.

JMK
Nov 28th, 2002, 07:34:12 PM
[quote]The Tie Fighter battle and the Death Star battle in AHN blow away anything in ESB. [quote]
I think the Hoth battle and escape from Bespin are just as good, if not better. :)