PDA

View Full Version : A Galaxy Not So Far Away

Jedieb
Nov 25th, 2002, 08:12:09 AM
A Galaxy Not So Far Away: Writers and Artists on Twenty-five Years of Star Wars

This book edited by Premiere film magazine editor Glenn Kenny features writers and artists such as Kevin Smith and a bunch of writers I honestly haven't herad of reflecting on how Star Wars has impacted them. If I had to recommend one essay above all the others it would have to be Neal Pollack's Celebrating the Fiftienth Anniversary of Catcher in the Red-Eye: Episode IV: A New G.o.d.d.a.m.n. Hope. Pollack basically tells the story of ANH with Haulden Coffield as Luke Skywalker. The result is one of the funniest essays I've ever read in my life. I read this at a chess tournament and I could barely stop myself from laughing out loud. At times I had tears in my eyes. Anyone who's read Catcher in the Rye will laugh themselves silly. If you haven't, you should read Salinger's classic novel before you even attempt to read Pollack's satire. It's just hysterical.

The essays are not by any means mindless fanboy tributes. Your not going to find McCallum Lucas worship here. It's a sometimes unflattering, but honest look at how Star Wars has impacted these artists. Some are rather absurd and self serving. Such as JOe Queenan's right wing diatribe in which he mangaes to miss the entire point of the SW saga and labels those who don't warp the series as he does misguided and dishonest. The sad part is that he even misquotes important lines of dialogue while making his argument. The misquotes are important because there's a major difference between heat and HATE. Queenan's ROTJ dialogue gaff is a major one ("Let the HEAT flow through you.") because he then goes on to say why "heat" and aggression are valuable tools. The lack of those being obvious weaknesses of men like Gandhi. (I'm not making that up!) Call it a Freudian slip that Keenan inadvertantly changes a line of dialogue that sums up what the Empire is really all about; HATE. He goes on to praise Vader's managerial skills while glossing over the fact that Vader literally murders those he deems incompetant. The man is quite siimply, a putz.

But even that essay is an example of what a thought provoking collection this book is. If you haven't picked it up I encourage you to do so. It's good fun. (I'm still not done with the last 1/3 of it.)

Jedieb
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:58:58 AM
An excerpt from Pollack's essay;

So there I was, sitting with these androids in my crummy garage. It just wasn't fair! Ol' Jiggs was right, I was never gonna get out of there, not unless I could alter time or some crap like that, or speed up the g.o.d.d.a.m.n. harvest. Then that blue android starts playing a movie of something.

I swear to God, the girl in that movie was the best looking g.o.d.d.a.m.n. girl I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies, I'm telling you. I've never had sexual intercourse, except with my pillow, but I've thought about it a lot. One time I was going to have sexual intercourse with her or some such thing, but then Uncle Owen hit me on the back of the knee with a hoe and told me to get back to work.

Another excerpt:

"Boy, am I glad to see you!"
"Tell me, young Puke," he said. "What brings you this way?"
"Of course, sir. Well, this g.o.d.d.a.m.n. android here says he was sent to look for Osama bin Kenobi."
Bin started going into this nodding routine. You never saw anyone nod in your whole entire life as much as old Bin Kenobi. I could never tell if it was because he was thinking, or because he was just a crazy old f.a.r.t.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:07:14 PM
LOL Jedieb I have to check this out. The right winger one is disturbing, he sounds like a neo-fascist, he probably would have supported Hitler if was living in the 30's. That Freudian slip does show he is a moron at least.

jjwr
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:09:41 PM
Sounds like a interesting book, sadly that doesn't seem funny at all to me...maybe the rest is better, who's to say!

Jedieb
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:08:50 PM
Have you read Catcher in the Rye? Pollack uses the same phrases that Caulfield does. The entire cast gets renamed;
Puke
Don Hoho
Jewbacca
Post-Millenium F.Up
Tattooyou
Osama Bin Kenobi
R-P-OO
Alderman
Stormdrainers
Ralph Nader
Princess Layme
PPO
Breath Star
The Farce
Red-Eye Knights
Mos Def Spaceport

But if you haven't read Salinger's book, then it won't be nearly as funny.

Admiral Lebron
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:40:28 PM
Jewbacca..I've been called that for years.

JMK
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:30:16 PM
:lol

Jedieb
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:50:10 PM
Oye vey Lebron, that was :lol