PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw's Showdown

Sanis Prent
Nov 24th, 2002, 09:30:00 PM
(90 carats. You could peer into its perfect facets and count the number of souls sold to pay for the stone in its reflection. The Heart of Corellia was a bloodstone, an ultra rare topaz formed under millennia of high heat and pressure...or so a geologist might say. What I'd say, however, is that if the damn thing wasn't naturally red, it probably would be by now. It had a history, and for every carat, there's likely a gallon of blood shed to own it.

I licked my lips, tucking the binoculars away. The Dantooine Museum of Art was having a difficult time with finances, and was in danger of going under, if it didn't do something about it. What it decided, two weeks ago, was to sell the Heart of Corellia, back to its home planet. The deal would save the Dantooine museum, and the Corellians were likely to pay immensely for the stone. So, as the last sightseer left for the day, and the front doors locked, I waited for my cue, riding low in the hovervan across the street.

Now...how do you move a rock that's worth 20 million credits?

Carefully.

And you're even more careful when you try to steal a thing like that...because movers are rent-a-cops with nervous trigger fingers, and the stakes are high.

As the sun set over the horizon, a large white armored car lumbered into the back of the complex. It was time to move...)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:18:30 PM
Old habits die hard. Some never die at all.

As the vornskr charged through alleyways, her breath came out in puffs of white steam, and as her paws hit the newspaper covered pavement, she let out her breaths in huffs like clockwork. She'd heard about the Heart of Corellia, and with a hurried goodbye to Diego that consisted of a simple "I'm goin' out to get a new toy, wish me luck" followed by a kiss on his cheek, s'Il had flown out the door of their hotel room.

And now she was flying down one of Dantooine's alleys, heading for the Dantooine Museum of Art. She'd already stashed her clothes and a small pack of supplies for the job in the backalley of the museum... which was where she was headed now.

Still sprinting, she made a sharp turn into the alley behind the museum... and ran right into the side of a white armored car. The shock of the collision as her shoulder smashed into the fender, followed by her body as it whipped the side of the car elicited a yelp from her lips, and staggered before falling to the ground, she used the moment to gulp in a few breaths of the cool night air.

She stood then, shaking her body violently, silvery pelt glinting, and huffing out a breath, she let out a puzzled growl.

Why the frell was there an armored car behind the museum...

Sanis Prent
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:02:00 PM
(I froze, watching as the armored car trucked over the dog. Damn shame, but such is life. I was just about to shrug it off...when the thing got back up.)

What the hell?

(The dog must have gotten knocked aside by more than 8000 pounds of mobile durasteel. It was amazing that it didn't get turned inside out, and become street spaghetti. Instead, it was back up, in the armored car's path, and looking meaner than ever. It was just then that I noticed the dog's long, hairless tail, tossing about like a bullwhip.)

Hell, that's no dog...that's a vornskr!

(Nobody keeps a vornskr for a pet, unless they are looking for economically pragmatic solutions for home security. The things are big, strong, fast, and above all, mean. There's a reason why Myrkyr doesn't have a tourism board, and its not for lack of tropical locale and good weather.

I reached under the seat, feeling for my shell gun. This was either an out of the blue strike of Murphy's Law, or something was up, and was having thoughts about getting in my way.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:45:10 PM
s'Il snorted, sneezing before letting out a deep breath and looking up into the headlights of the car, she let out a small bark before trotting off to the side and deeper into the alley. Turning, she cast a glare behind her, her tawny eyes studying the car, but it was impossible to see who the driver was, the tinted windows giving away nothing as to the occupant inside.

With a final huff, she jogged further into the darkened alley, and satisfied that she was completely hidden, let her body begin to revert back to her human form...

Sanis Prent
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:52:57 PM
(Fortunately, the vornskr proved to be just a freak encounter, and once it trotted away, the armored car continued backing up to the rear of the museum. Its back door opened, and a pair of blue-uniformed security personnel stepped out from the car, meeting two men in black suits that emerged from the museum. One man carried a briefcase, which was secured by handcuffs to his wrist. The second man unlocked the case with the key, transferred it to one of the men in the armored car, locked the cuffs, and handed the key to the other man. Once done, the men in black suits returned to the museum, and the men in blue stepped back into the armored car. The heavy metal doors closed, and the car lumbered off. I waited a minute, before starting the van up, and I followed loosely behind. Once they reached the city outskirts, near the spaceport...I'd make my move.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:02:02 AM
From her spot in the dark, s'Il reached a shaking hand out to her pack, and pulling on the opening, she opened the pack, extracting her thermoptic suit; it wasn't the one she'd used on Omar Prime, instead it was one she'd put together in a week's time after first hearing about stone sitting in the museum.

A few short minutes later she was shimmering up the fire escape ladder, climbing to the top of the building. Her headgear secured over her eyes, she stood tall on the rooftop, and looking down at the armored car as it pulled away, she rubbed her shoulder, feeling the bruise that was forming.

It was then she spotted the van as it started up, following after the car as it headed off. With a sharp intake of the night air, she followed as far as she could along the rooftop, studying the nondescript van as it moved out of the alley and into the night traffic.

She wasn't stupid... s'Il knew something was up... no doubt someone was going to jack those poor souls as they transported some high-priced item.

She smirked, then made her way inside the museum, her suit distorting her body as she crept through the galleries, and making her way to where the diamond was.

Her footsteps were noiseless, and as she ducked her head into the room where she knew it to be kept, she cursed.

It wasn't there... it's pedastal was empty...

s'Il cursed again. The armored car... the van!

Someone was already goin after it, and as a string of expletives filled the air, s'Il broke into a run, heading for the front doors and ignoring the alarms she'd so carefully avoided on the way in.

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 01:36:00 AM
(I gave the armored car a lot of breathing room, following a quarter mile back. I knew the destination, so there were no worries. After a few turns, I diverged, taking a quick route to the far side of the spaceport, opposite the car's approach lane. From an elevated vantage, I rolled the window down, and waited. After another minute, the car trundled up, toward a waiting transport. I removed the duronian handblaster from my jacket pocket, unscrewing the front of the barrel, and extending its telescoping sniper's barrel to its full length. Attaching a macro rangefinder, I slid into the passenger's seat, drawing a bead on the opening door in the back.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 30th, 2002, 01:56:59 AM
She was mad.

Very mad.

Flying down the fire escape stairwell, s'Il could feel the burning sensation of being the loser rage through her chest; when it came to art, diamonds sometimes even, she made sure to never lose. That someone had already had his/her sights on her stone was infuriating, and the fact that they were ahead of her as it was only served to fuel her rage.

Her feet hit the ground running, and as she tore down the street after the two vehicles, her hands flew up to unclasp the neck clamp. It was an interesting sight to anyone who had bothered to be out at night; a woman running down the street tearing her clothes from her body...

... it was what happened next that would have most likely sent those very same individuals back inside to their liquor cabinets.

In one fluid motion she changed, falling to all fours in midstride as her bones morphed, resizing over a shifting body. It was a smooth transition, honed by many similar occurances, and in less that thirty seconds the change had been completed.

The silverbacked vornskr raced through the street after the quickly fading taillights of the van as it headed for the spaceport, and making a sharp turn, she took a short detour that would put her on the second level terminal loading areas. Night crowds didn't even register in her mind, and loping through the mass of people and transports, s'Il barely heard the cries that sounded out in her wake. Instead, forefront on her mind was getting to that truck before the van did.

Pounding along the edge, she followed the van, watching as it slowed to a halt a little above where the armored truck had also stopped. Her stride quickened then, and with shoulder muscles bunching, the vornskr took one last huffed breath before jumping from the edge... a brief memory flashed, of doing this once before, but she'd been on two legs, and it's been on Coruscant. Now, thankfully, she was on four, and the height wasn't nearly as much; the architects apparently favoring as flat an approach as possible. Not that she would complain in the least.

The beast landed solidly on the roof of the van, rocking the vehicle terribly.

No pun intended whatsoever, she had a bone to pick with whoever was in this van.

Sanis Prent
Nov 30th, 2002, 10:12:13 AM
(The roof rocked, and I lost my aim. I heard clacking sounds up on the roof, like there was a dog or something, tapping claws against metal. And a big one at that, from the way the van rocked. Drawing my shell gun carefully, I cracked the driver's side door open...and peered over the top.

My eyes widened at what I saw, as I struggled to draw up the business end of my weapon)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 30th, 2002, 10:33:08 PM
She wasn't really surprised to see a wide eyed Sanis Prent poke his head up from inside the van; they'd done a few jobs together before, moving goods, and both times had been rather profitable, if not an interesting set of experiences. But right now, the only thing she could think of was the fact that he'd beaten her to the prize.

As he drew up his gun, a snarl grew from the bottom of her throat, and reaching out a massive paw, swiped the shell gun from his grasp. Her teeth were bared, eyes boring straight into his as the growl grew at a steady pace, and tail whipping dangerously through the air, she crouched low; not in preparation to drive him to the ground, but to simply scare him at the very least.

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:00:27 AM
(The vornskr was on the roof, and snarling mad. I didn't have time to squeeze off a shot, as a thick paw slapped my shell gun out of my hand. I didn't even think about going after it. At point blank, diving for a gun I don't have and going up against a tooth and claw killing machine isn't much of an option, except for the professional nihilist. I threw myself back into the van, slamming the door shut. For a second, I thought about what to do, then I reclined the seat back, drawing my Westars. Aiming up, I perforated the roof about a dozen times,before flooring the van into reverse. A blur of silvery grey tumbled with mass and inertia, over the windshield and hood, rolling off the front of the van. Hitting the brakes, I rocked on a cushion of air, before shifting back into drive...)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:56:20 AM
She hit the ground in an expulsion of air, a ponderous hufff flying from her mouth as she rolled, doing her best to scramble up... she could hear as Prent shifted the van back into drive, knowing full well he intended to plow her down. Lumbering to her paws, the animal looked at the vehicle, backtracking madly to avoid being crushed.

And yet, she hadn't forgotten the whole reason for chasing the armored car and the van to the spaceport; she had a rock to claim, and wheeling around, she tore away, heading to where the armored car sat, one level down, the van in tow...

Sanis Prent
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:03:52 AM
(I buried the pedal, accelerating as fast as the lethargic van could go, which was enough to overtake the vornskr, but not before it could drop to the lower level. I overshot my target, and inertia caused the van to sail over the leaping vornskr, before dropping back down onto my repulsorlift cushion. The van rocked and swayed violently, and I spun around with a whining protest of machinery. I'd gotten sandwiched between the vornskr and the armored car...and now the guards had gotten a whiff of trouble, one stepping out with blaster rifle in tow. I cursed...seemed like Murphy's Law was a tangible force to resist me. Turning a doughnut in rapid acceleration, I whipped the van about, accelerating on the armored car. The suprised guard unloaded a few desperate shots in my general direction, before diving away from ground zero. I saw stars as I rammed the armored car, force of impact compressing the front end of my vehicle like a beer can, and sending the armored car on its side, skidding on the concrete tarmac. It took a while for me to get my bearings, but when I did, I realized it wouldn't be too long before I'd have to come up and shooting again.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:33:46 PM
Hitting the ground in a crouch, she sprang forward after the van, and dodging to the side as Prent slammed the van into the armored car. Skidding to a halt, s'Il watched as the collision sent the car onto its side, scraping along the tarmac, and with another burst of motion, she leapt after it as it came to a slow halt.

Her paws hit the pavement in steady beats, breath acting as a counterbeat, and nearing the wreckage, she picked up her speed, racing for the back door that'd been flung open.

The rock was in there, she knew it, and she'd do whatever she needed to get it.

A body struggled in the open doorway as she huffed closer, and she could tell the man was struggling with his seatbelt, trying to unbuckle it in order to free himself. She bared her fangs in a vicious grin, and surged forward, fur on her shoulders bristling as she closed in on the struggling man.

Sanis Prent
Dec 12th, 2002, 02:10:43 PM
(As I clambored out of the side window, I shot scorched the metal near my handgrip, causing me to jerk back. The first guard had recovered his footing, and was perforating the side of the van. I cursed, popping up briefly to deliver a pair of shots, before crouching back down again, to avoid the return fire. Undoing my seatbelt, I crawled through toward the back of the van, and kicked the door free, angling around for a suprise shot. The guard was too slow to the punch, and I put two in his chest, sending him to the ground. I slid out of the van, in time to see the vornskr drawing a lethal bead on the car passenger.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 16th, 2002, 11:57:47 PM
He'd thrown his arm up, but it did no good as she clamped iron jaws around soft flesh, splintering bones as her neck muscles pulled mercilessly. The man had no chance as he was dragged bodily from the door, and as she pulled him free, s'Il gave him an extra tug, eliciting more snapping and a scream from her victim. His other arm came up, and in desperation swung the case that was attached to his wrist around. It connected solidly with the side of her head, and she let out a yelp, instantly releasing the man and backing off to shake the disorientation away.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:12:45 AM
(I didn't know who to shoot. Both were obviously not the friendliest of company, so I opted on holding my fire, waiting for one to take care of the other. Inwardly, I was rooting for the rent-a-cop. The thought of taking on the vornskr wasn't one I was big on.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:30:12 AM
Her head shook from side to side, and as a fresh growl grew from the bottom of her throat, s'Il turned a malicious golden stare at the man. The case he hit her with had knocked stars into her vision, but also, as soon as her eyes fell on it, she knew that that's where the rock had to be; it'd hit hard enough.

She could see the fear in his eyes; smell it... and she loved it. This would be fun.

She dove for him once more, this time very aware of the case attached to his wrist, and as he tried to bring it around once more, the beast reared up, slamming him down and pinning him to the tarmac with both paws on his chest. Bringing a toothfilled maw centimeters from his face, she let out a huff. Once more he swung the case at her, but this time she snapped her head to the side, and latching onto his forearm, bunched her neck muscles for one more massive pull.

The man didn't even scream; all he could do was stare at where his arm had been, and then to where the vornskr stood, his arm in her jaws and the case on the arm. A pool of blood began to form, and with another huff, she turned her head a little to stare at Prent, locking eyes with him.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:40:01 AM
(It wasn't the day for the underdog, and nobody was going to take the spread. I stared down the vornskr as a pool of crimson leaked from the guard like a garden sprinkler. I was ready to put a shot or two between the animal's eyes...but I paused. The hairs on the back of my neck started to stand on end, like a latent static energy was rising around an increasingly tense showdown. The vornskr's yellow eyes reflected a sense of guile, and calculating gall that I'd seen in a hundred back alleys and across a thousand sabacc tables. There was a kind of telepathy of the eyes, that no book smarts in the galaxy could prepare you for. It took things like this to find out just what people...and animals...were made of.)

What the hell...

(In retrospect...retrospect was the last thing I should have been thinking about. There's a lot to be said about raw instinct and fast twitch muscles. I held my fire...and blinked.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:47:07 AM
The vornskr snorted, still keeping a gaze on Prent, and slowly scanning the area of destruction, she let out a muffled yet amused whurffle from around the seperated limb clenched between her teeth.

And then she moved, starting off at a jog, then her pace picked up, and she was soon at a slow lope, heading for Prent.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 12:53:46 AM
Easy...easy...

(I raised my Westar blaster, ready for a sudden lunge. With half a gnawed arm lodged in its mouth, I wasn't in immediate danger. Still...I had a funny feeling. The thing went for the arm. The case arm. This wasn't any vornskr I knew of. Could you train them? I'd never seen it happen, and I'd been to a lot of circuses.

I squatted down to my haunches, leaning forward a bit.)

Easy now...bring me the case...easy...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:01:58 AM
If she could have, s'Il would have laughed. Just to see Prent kneeling down and calling her to him was a sight, and dropping down into a walk, she approached him slowly, the arm and case hanging from her mouth.

Coming to a stop just out of arms reach, she tilted her head to the side, causing the mangled arm and case to shift to the side.

This was... what's that word??? Oh yeah... just too cute.

She backed off a little then, and putting a good ten feet between her and Prent, sat down, still staring at him with mirth in her eyes.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:05:17 AM
Easy...easy...

(Gun still in hand, I approached slowly, hand extended to gently ease the case and severed hand away from the vornskr. My eyes kept locked on its golden orbs, ready to spring into action over the slightest change in the unannounced truce)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:12:33 AM
She rose once more, backing away as he came closer.

While the whole scenario was one she thought she'd never be in, it was still not the best. The spaceport authorities were undoubtedly on their way, and though it was fun to see Prent make such a goober out of himself for the rock she had clenched... well, in the case attached to the severed arm she had clenched between her teeth... it would most likely also be a good idea if she changed back soon; it'd already been enough time for her to start becoming dumb, so to speak, and the last thing she needed was to forget why she was here.

With another whuffle, s'Il turned on her heels andstarted off at a jog, away from Prent; arm and case dangling from her jaws.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:17:26 AM
Krasst!

(I rose to my feet, a bit frustrated in my debut of animal diplomacy. I didn't want to get the furball riled up, because the last thing I needed was a riled up vornskr on my hands. Instead, I opted for a half measure. Raising my Westar from the hip, I squeezed my right eye shut, and exhaled, lining up a precision shot. With a chirp of expended Tibanna gas, I squeezed off a blast, clipping the hand free from the arm at the wrist. The loss of the hand caused the binder to slide off, no longer protested by a fleshy palm. The case clattered on the ground, as the vornskr trotted on. With a confidant grin, I trotted up, ready to take what was mine and get out of Dodge.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:19:56 AM
The loss of the weight from her mouth cause her to wheel about, and with a sudden snarl, s'Il glared at Prent as he approached. With massive paws, the animal placed them atop the case, daring Prent to take it.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:23:21 AM
Ah Hell...don't do this to me!

(I protested verbally and with body language, stamping my feet and waving my piece in the creature's general direction. In the distance, I could hear sirens regrouping. I was on borrowed time. With calculated deadpan, I raised my gun again.)

Don't make me do this sweetheart. You need to find another chew toy.

(It didn't budge, and I fired)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:32:37 AM
The bolt lanced through her shoulder, burrowing deep withing her flesh as she flinched, then let out a yelp that turned into a howl. The beast retreated a little, favouring her shoulder as she whimpered.

I... want that... uuhhhh... r-r-rock...

She was losing more, and the animal side of her mind was taking over the human, and with a slow growing growl, she turned pained eyes on Prent, creeping back to the case. The sound of sirens was getting closer... those are... bad... and with a swift dip of her neck, she clamped her jaws around the handle the best she could.

I need the case... I need the case...

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:34:23 AM
(I fired again, bewildered as to the animal's stubbornness. The sounds of approaching sirens were not lost on me, and I was getting really nervous.)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:40:48 AM
His last shot struck her other shoulder, and she dropped the case, falling a little to her side. Struggling to her feet, she stood one last time, staring at Prent before letting the pain overtake her senses, and collapsing on the tarmac, the beast fell into the depth of her subconscious...

... and involuntarily reverted back to her human form.

Laying unconscious halfway across the case, s'Il was covered in blood; both the guard's and hers, her two shoulder wounds fresh.

Sanis Prent
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:13:39 PM
(I'd never seen anything like it...as the vornskr changed. It slowly took the form of a naked woman...

...one I knew.)

S'Il???

(Dropping my gun, I ran to her side, tilting her head up to the sky. I spread her eyelids open to see only whites, as her eyes rolled back in her head. Cursing, I reached in my pocket, pulling out a pink cyllinder.)

Marcus, we gotta get the hell out of here. Bring Layla down on this position now!

(Pausing only to pull the case from under S'Il, I sprinted back to the point where I had dropped my shell gun, and retrieved it, returning to the fallen woman. In a matter of seconds, the boxy silhouette of the Layla crossed through the sunlight, touching down on the tarmac. Flinging the case into the opening hatchway, I turned back to S'Il, pulling her up and over, so that she leaned against me enough for me to move her.)

Damn, you're heavy. Who'd have guessed...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2002, 12:59:40 AM
How long had she been out? the amount of time escaped her, and after a few moments of trying to piece together what she remembered before passing out, s'Il gave up. Instead, she opened a single eye to stare up at the interior ceiling of what had to be a ship.

An unfamiliar ceiling...

Sanis Prent
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:05:54 AM
(I didn't bother with pleasantries, and deposited S'Il's bloodied body on the futon in the main living area. Diving into the pilot's seat, I pulled back on the stick, asking for as much climb as I could coax out of the orbital repulsordrives, before punching the mains. On my ventral viewer, I could see the police speeders arriving on the tarmac. Too bad they were a minute late and a few thousand credits short. Thankfully my suare with the freakishly unknown hadn't fatally upset my timetable...and I was breezing out of the place with a big score. I glanced sideways, to the case that rested in the passenger's seat. As we cleared the atmosphere, and broke orbit, I found myself looking back to S'Ilancy.

She was coming to.

I kept a hand on one of my holsters, as I rose from my seat.)

Marcus...autopilot.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:10:09 AM
Opening the other eye, s'Il lolled her head to the side, then did her best to lever herself up onto her elbows. Pain lanced through both arms as she fell back with a pained breath, and as Prent's footfalls became more audible, she closed her eyes.

"Prent... where's my gawd-damned rock," she managed to croak out.

Sanis Prent
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:13:11 AM
Shut up, you're bleeding.

(Which was the truth, and as I worked with a cloth to stem the flow from her wounds, it was as good as anything else to change the subject. If I could keep from shooting her again, that would be great...not to mention I'd rather not get into what other circus tricks she might have. I worked with the white washcloth, swabbing at the two blast wounds, which seemed to not be bleeding very much anymore)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:16:19 AM
"Oh, so now you're telling me to shut up?"

Through the dulling pain, s'Il sniggered, rolling her eyes. If he wanted to help her out a little and clean the same wounds he'd inflicted, she wasn't about to stop him.

"What happened to 'sweetheart'?"

Sanis Prent
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:19:27 AM
That one flew out the window when you started running on all fours and gnawing arms off.

(I took a new cloth, wrapping it tightly over her shoulder, taking care not to dislodge the "courtesy sheet" she'd procured from the futon.)

Any other party tricks you care to tell me about?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:28:20 AM
The pain was starting to fade away, and reaching a hand up, she pushed his hands away; best to let her wounds heal themselves.

"Other tricks? None that I know of... I thought you kinda liked the main attraction... that, and you were rather cute, kneeling down to try and get a vornskr to bring you a case.

"It was such a kodak moment."

Sanis Prent
Dec 18th, 2002, 01:32:42 AM
Yeah, and I'm not smiling for the camera anymore, if you haven't noticed.

(She could, however, say cheese to my Westar anytime she wanted, as I'd now pulled it from my holster, holding it at my hip.)

So...we're in that eternal freelancer's dilemma of both being after the same mark. I didn't kill you because it happens to the best of us. Not to mention I was beginning to like you, till I found out you have issues.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 19th, 2002, 12:49:18 AM
"I don't have issues," s'Il grumbled, sitting up while making sure the blanket she'd pulled over her body remained covering herself for the most part.

"Besides," she went on sarcastically, "... I'm not the one who drove a van off a parking ledge.

"Now. Where's my rock."

Sanis Prent
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:01:06 AM
Your rock?

(The drawback click on my westar sounded in the galley like a tiny church bell at high noon. Apparently your skull thickens when you get knocked out.)

Maybe I didn't explain how this goes. We're both after it. I got it. You didn't. Since its pretty pointless to play halvsies with an 80 carat bloodstone, this is the part where you settle for my condolances, and maybe a couple of rounds at whatever pub that I treat you to.

(I paused, and shrugged a little)

Maybe a cut of the take, since you did the deed with one of the guards back there. Fifteen percent, take it or leave it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:11:30 AM
A low growl grew at the bottom of her throat; a gutteral sound that wasn't, in any way, supposed to come from a human. Tawny yellow slowly seeping into metallic eyes, she cast a look down at his weapon.

"When I change, it hurts... " her gaze came back up, and she locked eyes with him. "But I've no problem with doing what I need to do to get what I want. I like alcohol, but I like that stone more.

"You gonna shoot me again? Go ahead; put the animal down... "

She squared her shoulders, leaning forward a little. "... I dare you... "

Sanis Prent
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:19:09 AM
(We shared the most uncomfortable of silences. Every moment crescendoed into a heartbeat, and the only sound was the flush of chilling blood in your ears. I didn't want to shoot her...we had what could nearly be called a professional understanding. However, in the heat of an argument, even the most likeable kinds can also be the most stubborn.)

Don't bet against a gambler, sweetheart.

(I wrapped my trigger finger around cool metal)

You've got me feeling cordial. I'd rather not stain the mattress more than usual.

(Glancing the barrel away, I angled it toward S'Il's shoulder wound, prodding the swollen, red hole with the business end)

You're already a mess, as is. Get some shut-eye, and I'll wake you when we reach port.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 19th, 2002, 01:41:12 AM
"Hey," she objected sharply as his little poke brought back a little bit of the of pain.

"I've been in worse shape," came another grumbled response as she stared lazily at his westar.

Sanis Prent
Dec 20th, 2002, 01:35:47 AM
Y'know, I'd like to treat you equitably here, like a frelling human being? Can the stubborn streak and relax. I got a holding cell. I don't wanna use it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 24th, 2002, 10:56:20 PM
"Relax?"

She inclined her head to him. This was getting tiresome, and she was ready to go back to Diego... with the bloodstone. The question now was how to get it away from Prent.

"OK then... " rested back, keeping a wary eye on his firearm. "... what do you propose?"

Sanis Prent
Dec 24th, 2002, 11:50:59 PM
Like I said...we reach my client, and you pocket 15% of the take.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:10:51 AM
She only gave him a withering look.

"Riiiight. I think I'm entitled to a little more than 15%. You did try to run me over, don't forget. And besides, I somehow don't think you'd have that stone if I hadn't been there.

"You're good Prent, but don't think you're always going to be lucky... " her eyes glinted a little as she stared at him, and she leaned forward a little. "Sooner or later something's gonna get you. And it might not be what you think."

Sanis Prent
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:21:12 AM
Well, it isn't going to be you, so we're back to square one.

(I paused, and sighed)

You're really straining my charitible nature, you know. Quarter take. I'll give you that much credit. The rest....

(I winked)

...I am that good.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:34:58 AM
s'Il laughed. "Oh really. I'm a little curious now; just how good is it that you are? Cause I can say that about myself also... "

Sanis Prent
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:37:10 AM
And that's why I'm here and you're there. And I'm being a good sport about it, and you're looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'd at least expect a thank you.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Dec 25th, 2002, 12:47:16 AM
With a groan, she sat up, swinging her legs over the side of the cot. "Don't push it, I could have ripped off your arms as easily as the last guy's.

"I like you, but don't poke at me. If it's a thanks you want, then fine. Thanks for not running me over."

Reaching a hand up, s'Il gingerly ran her fingers over the healing wound on her left shoulder, then her right. "If you think I'm not being grateful, then I could always change, knock you around a little, and take back that rock."

Looking up at him, s'Il flashed a grin. "But... like I said before, I like you, so I won't do that. You may think I have issues, but I can change your world around in a matter of days. So until then, kindly keep from telling me what you think of my behavior."

Sanis Prent
Dec 29th, 2002, 11:44:43 PM
(I shrugged her off, and let her be, walking away from her as she recovered, or whatever. Reaching the pilothouse, I got a little uneasy.)

Marcus...take over the helm. I've got things to do.

(The little pink cyllinder "blinked")

Of course, Sanis.

(I took the seat opposite, and fidgeted with the briefcase. I didn't have the combination, so this would be a tougher nut to crack. I reached over, and tapped the droid module)

Can your spark cutters take care of this?

(Marcus skittered closer, examining it thoroughly. Another two cyllinders skittered into the pilothouse, and also went to the task of analyzing the case.)

Given enough time, there is a distinct probability. Shall I take the case to the galley, Sanis?

No. I'll take it...I've got stuff to do down there anyways. C'mon.

(I left the pilothouse, and bypassed the main quarters completely on my way below deck to the galley. When I got there, half a dozen Marcus modules awaited...and I set the case on the table.)

Damn, I'm famished.

(I glanced up the ladder well)

What about you? Hungry?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 1st, 2003, 04:00:20 PM
With the sheet pulled over her body, s'Il stood carefully, calling back to Prent, sarcasm evident in her tone.

"Yeah; security guards don't sit well in my stomach."

Sanis Prent
Jan 2nd, 2003, 03:55:54 PM
(Grilled cheese it is, then. Being one of my specialties...or to put it in other words...one of the only things I know how to cook, I went to work, with the sound of Marcus's arc beam cutter working on the briefcase behind me.)

So...

(Small talk might help)

...who's got you on the job?

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:30:37 AM
s'Il stared at him, her brows raising a little as she watched him start cooking.

"No one contracted me out... I'm doing it for myself. I've been out of the loop for a while doing... " She sighed, pulling the sheet tighter around her body. "... other things, and decided it'd be nice to get somewhat back into the groove."

Sanis Prent
Jan 10th, 2003, 01:00:48 AM
(I jumped at the voice. I didn't even hear her come down to the galley. The kind of calm, nonchalant poise she held, even when wounded and half naked, was a bit uncomfortable.)

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

(I turned away from the cooking for a moment.)

You're not one of those "climb the mountain because it's there" kinds of freelancers are you? That is such a boyscout thing to say!

(I rolled my eyes. S'Il didn't appear to be stupid, and the thought would've never crossed my mind. The people who did it for the rush were usually the first to crash and burn when things hit the skids)

What in God's name are you going to do with a bloodstone? I'm assuming you're as well connected as I am, and I don't have a damn clue about the market. I don't exactly dabble in expensive jewelry, so I leave it to other idiots with too much money to have the avant-garde tastes. You're wasting your time, you know.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 25th, 2003, 01:02:09 AM
Eyes narrowing, s'Il let her smaller bulk lean against the bulkhead. "What I choose to do with my things is my decision. Maybe I want to sell it, maybe I want it for me; it's my business. Either way the fact that I'm here now is just a little bit of a surprise.

"Yes, I do some things for the hell of it; why not? It's fun, gives me something to do when I'm bored, and also gives me a chance to test my skills."

She stared at Prent, then shrugged. "If you want to further make fun of me, go ahead. I don't care. At least I know why I do things."

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:11:11 PM
"Fine...relax."

I turned away from her, and went back to work on cooking.

"Guess I just can't relate. I'd cook for a living if it paid like stealing bloodstones. Just pragmatic, I guess."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:49:56 PM
She gave him a sidelong glance as he went about cooking... something.

"You do what you know best," was all she said before adding, "... or at least that's what our friend Mr. Amber Shades used to tell me."

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:54:24 PM
"Yeah, well...that's all behind us, isn't it."

I looked back over my shoulder at her. Suffice to say, that was a chapter of my life I didn't want to go over again.

"So, what about your little parlor trick?"

I changed the subject, flipping a sandwich in the skillet.

"Last I checked, you weren't quite the metamorph type, or you're a better liar than I am."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:07:28 PM
Turning to face Prent more fully, s'Il shifted her weight to her other leg, the smell of food filling her nostrils.

"Happened a while ago; it's actually pretty liberating; not to mention I can do things that others can't.

"Certainly wasn't something I asked for, but you make do with what cards you get."

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:12:12 PM
I looked at her like she'd half lost her mind.

"How?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:15:24 PM
"How what? How is it in any way liberating? How can I do things others can't?"

She only gave him an odd stare before going on.

"There's things that I won't begin to explain; it'd just give me a headache. Let's just say that I was a little upset when I was changed, but now; now I can't imagine what life would be like without living this way."

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:21:04 PM
"How did it happen."

My face was blank, and it was hard to shock me...but the way S'Il talked now...

"Do you even listen to yourself? That sounds spacey as hell. You don't just wake up one day and decide to change your entire genetic makeup."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:29:06 PM
s'Il returned his look, then let out a sigh.

"I was on Naboo on... business. Went out for a little bit, and met someone on the way. We talked, I went on my way, and the next thing I know I'm being chased down by a vornskr. A little confusing for me, as I have no force-potential whatsoever. Needless to say the thing stung me. Three days and a lot of downtime later, I changed for the first time."

Of course the story was a little more detailed, but Prent didn't need to know Diego's name or exactly what happened. Nor did he need to know of the time she'd spent with Grand Admiral Millard before leaving.

She watched him then, waiting for an answer.

Sanis Prent
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:35:28 PM
I made a quick save, and slid the first sandwich off the skillet and onto a plate before it began to burn. I paused, as if sorting the words in my head for something to say. Eventually I just gave up and sighed, pushing the plate toward S'Il. I prepared another, and watched S'Il as it began to cook.

"What the hell am I supposed to say to that?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2003, 09:48:04 PM
"I don't expect you to say anything; you asked and I answered. It's as simple as that."

She took the plate, letting the sandwich cool before picking it up.

Sanis Prent
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:06:34 PM
"I'm stuck on an outbound flight with a bloodstone and a...what...werewolf? And that's simple?"

I shrugged my shoulders, turning back to cook.

"I suppose that kind of logic will take you anywhere you want to go."

Marcus suddenly beeped, and the sound of his cutting tool ceased.

Sanis, I have breached the locking mechanism on the case.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 13th, 2003, 07:30:35 PM
She hadn't even taken a bite before the sound of the little droid's voice reached her ears, and s'Il put the sandwich back on the plate.

"Not a werewolf, Prent. Lupine," she mumbled absently while setting the plate down and shifting her attention to the droid and the case it'd just finished breaking into.

Sanis Prent
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:52:42 AM
"About time."

Forgetting the skillet, I made my way to the table, and worked the case open.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 18th, 2003, 10:04:24 AM
Following Prent, she stood just behind him as he pried the case open.

She was careful as she came up behind him though; rare goods tended to make people do strange things, and Prent wasn't really one for rational thought to begin with at times.

Sanis Prent
Jul 20th, 2003, 07:43:00 PM
Back still turned to S'Il, I holstered my blaster, and gazed down at the sight that awaited me. The stone was enormous, brightly faceted, and red as blood. Nestled in the foam lining of the case, the stone only caught the direct ambient lighting around, and its true brilliance wasn't to be seen unless held up. I pried it from the foam mold, holding it up. Through the hundreds of faceted reflections, I pondered just how rich this would make me.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:40:31 AM
Apparently he was so engrossed in the stone that he didn't hear the change; the shift from biped to quadruped. The sheet discarded on the deck, s'Il eyed Prent from the back, watching as he held the stone up. Her stone. She was the one who'd taken it from the guard; the one who'd been in the middle of everything.

She was cautious, making no sound as light paws fell on the deck, bringing her closer to Prent. It was only a matter of taking back what was rightly hers, and without so much as narrowing her eyes, she let her tail lash lazily back and forth. She was right behind him, and coming to his side, followed his enraptured gaze.

When he looked down at her, obviously startled, she turned her tawny eyes to him, locking his gaze.

And then he felt it. Beneath the left shoulder blade - a barb was embedded in his skin, releasing toxins and venom into his bloodstream. And then it was gone.

Only the pain remained.

Sanis Prent
Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:28:34 PM
"Aaaagh!!!"

Pain seared through my back, and seemed to rattle down my spine and into my extremeties. I tried to whirl about and pull my pistol, but my arms moved like they had weights on them, and the bloodstone slipped from my fingers, as the room began to spin around me. My back felt like one continuous muscle cramp, as the vornskr's venom spread from the point of impact. Sweating, I shuddered, and slumped to the floor at the creature's feet, breathing shallow breaths.

...and then everything went dark. The last thing on my mind, ironically enough, was that the grilled cheese was beginning to burn.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:17:23 PM
s'Il watched as he fell, her yellow eyes passive in their observance as he shuddered, his breathing becoming shallow. She huffed, then looked around for the stone when he'd slipped into unconsciousness. With a sigh, she changed once more, feeling bones and joints as they reverted back to her human form. She lay for a few seconds, breathing deep before rolling over and rising to her feet, plucking the bloodstone up from where it'd fallen.

Looking down to Prent, she set the stone back in its case. Her movements were fluid; as if she'd done this many times over, and as she headed for the stove, she picked up the blanket she'd been using earlier. With a one hand, s'Il removed the pan from the eye, turning it off while in the same motion throwing the blanket over her shoulder and heading back to where she'd first woken up... in search of clothes.

Ten minutes later, and fully clothed in a pair of oversized pants and a shirt two sizes too big, she was hauling Prent to what she only assumed was Prent's quarters; at least that was the distinct impression she got when she first walked in.

Gods you're heavy, Prent.

Somehow though, she was still able to hoist him up onto his bed without too much trouble, and pulling his boots off, began to strip his clothes away to leave him lying naked. The covers came next, and after making sure he was settled, she headed back the way she'd come.

Sitting at the table, s'Il studied the bloodstone, and with practiced ease she'd lifted it into the light. But something didn't seem right, and she scowled. Her mind working overtime, she leaned back, bringing the stone down to rest on the table as her eyes caught sight of a small, folded piece of paper that Prent had missed when he pulled the stone out.

She reached in, unfolded the note, and read the first line bfore letting out a curse. She didn't have to read the rest. She recognized the handwriting and style of speech enough to toss the letter disgustedly on the table.

Fuming, she stood.

Might as well get some water ready for when he wakes up; that and get this bucket turned around. And after that, I'ma get that filthy sonofabitch.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 28th, 2003, 01:15:35 PM
Six hours later found s'Il sitting patiently on the floor next to Prent's bed. Well, maybe not sitting. It was more like leaning against the bedframe passed out. She'd fallen asleep four hours earlier, the glass of water set on the floor by her outstretched legs. She'd already sent the Layla[ on a course for Coruscant; that'd be the first place to look for the man she was after. Of course there was Prent she'd have to deal with. Odds were he wouldn't be too happy about the situation; and not just the fact that the bloodstone was a fake.

It'd been a cultivated decision; one she'd first began having thoughts on when she first saw him in the van. She wanted someone like herself to spend time with; someone like her. And Prent was like her in most respects. With the exception of one major attrtibute.

But that was an attribute that she had fixed. Besides. He'd appreciate it in the long run.

She had. To some degree at least.

And so she slept, leaning up against the bed with her head resting on Prent's arm, waiting for him to wake.

Mortaniuss
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:25:37 PM
s'Il had been asleep for a less than 2 hours when the sharp, buzzing sound shocked her awake. It was loud, scratchy and, most of all, insistent. It took a few minutes for her to wake up enough to realize it was Sanis' doorbell. Sanis himself was still sound asleep. The buzzing stopped for a moment, as if whoever was there was probably trying to listen for signs of life, then resumed.