PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me ...

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:58:19 PM
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25134

or is Wei being more of a jerk ontop of being a spaz as usual -_-

I wanted to bring this up to the other mods to watch this thread please. I gave Wei a stern warning but who knows what will happen till I come back sunday,

my appologies to you all again for the messed up situation. I know I shouldn't have to appoligize but I do feel bad for not being around as much. Shall change now of course but I am trying to settle into things again around here ^_^

TheHolo.Net
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:08:31 PM
Its not just you. I noticed it too but could not come up with my own warning too him that was not too harsh (you [Nav] know how I can be when irked ;)) and I didn't want to come down on him too hard.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:29:44 PM
I've avoided posting to the thread. If he said "I need a council member to post in this thread." I would have been cool with it. I don't need a please all the time. Its nice, but hey, I'll live.

I didn't bother to dignify it with a reply, because every time I read it I got disgusted.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:45:45 PM
One rule of GJO - If your going to ask, do it nice and politely or not at all.

I wonder why Dios felt he had to post anyway? Maybe approaching a Council member over PM or similar?

* shrug *

Whatever

Lady Vader
Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:27:16 PM
Yeah, saw that thread after Wei had posted his "all caps" reply. I thought about posting in the thread, but I really didn't like how Wei was being so demanding. So I essentially ignored the whole thing. :\

Gurney Devries
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:13:52 AM
A) Is there a reason I can see this forum with this account? O_o

B) Nav: I posted my thoughts in M&A, and I do intend to stick by that. You could always do something similar to that here at the GJO.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:47:21 PM
A- I... don't... know! Whehehheheheeeeeeee!

B- I'm starting to really consider it, but I'll wait to see how he reacts first.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:16:54 PM
I closed that thread. Kindo is trying to provoke a flame war IMO

You could have put things better Morgan, but in the whole I stand by a private comment - I agree with what you said in spirit. Yelling for attention cuts no custard with me.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:57:07 PM
You could have put things better Morgan

Yeah, and then I would have been lying to myself. I decided a few years ago not to lie... unless its life or death. Whenever I water my post down, I feel like I'm lying to myself and everyone else about how I feel.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:15:02 PM
Yeah well.... that's okay. You did however have a good point.

I ver much hope Wei and Kindo read between the lines of my post, for I was targeting them. Especially Wei. ou dont get anythign handed to you in this place, you bloody well earn it. If Dios is getting ignored, then maybe he should be hit upside of head with a clue by 4 and work out why. And Wei too.

Figrin D'an
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:30:00 PM
I PMed both of them about the situation... warning Kindo about provoking a flame war, and telling Wei that he is on very thin ice.

Wei is on my short list of people to watch. He's had enough time to understand how things work around here, yet he continues to act like a 3 year old. No more excuses.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:36:37 PM
At the very least, if he steps out of line again, he lose access to Avalon's OOC.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:15:00 PM
sigh, knew that might happen hence why I posted here.

I was going to actually bring up Wei for promotion since I felt bad for not being around to post in his thread ... but now forget it. Part of being promoted around here is having OOC respect to your fellow RPers. He obviously demonstrated that he can't do that.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:23:18 PM
I have something to add to this discussion in regards to Morgan’s response.

Wasn’t it less than a week ago that Fig and Yog warned people in the forum regarding abuse of the swear filter, in particular inflammatory remarks directed at other posters? Well, I think it only right that the swear filter be turned back on after one of the staff broke that very rule. It is only fair that we hold ourselves to the same ideals that we attempt to enforce. There can’t be any playing of favorites or else chaos will ensue.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 24th, 2002, 07:36:54 PM
There is a difference between abuse and use of the words. I used two words. I don't want to bother and count how many times they were used between Xaz and Maia.

To quote Yog: "The freedom is there to enable you to use such words at key moments, only when it is the most appropriate and accurate way to describe or convey your feelings."

I was absolutley livid.

Either way, I don't particuarly care what happens with the filter.

Figrin D'an
Nov 24th, 2002, 07:41:01 PM
As much as I would have liked for that action to not be necessary, I'm inclined to agree. It's become obvious that the experiment of turning the swear filter off has failed, and not enforcing the policy now would make us all look hypocritical.

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:02:18 AM
Just to toss in my opinion:

You people seem adverse to any swearing at all. It was disabled so posters could use them every once in a while. While swearing with the frequency Xazor does is a bit excessive, I thought the amount of frequency and context Morgan used them in was why basically why it was disabled. But I digress...

Having gone through some of the old archives, it's amazing how much this place has changed. Used to be a time when the GJO didn't have a swear filter at all. But I think the general populous has changed, too.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:37:05 PM
Frequency has no bearing IMO, its context. I have never had the filter on at Meras and not once has there been an incident (except in the big TSE thread) where one person used swear words to belittle another posters behavior or self.

Thats the difference here to me, which makes it wrong. And if nothing is done makes the staff look as if they are not subject to what they require from the members.

Frequency is a loophole when its context that should be the deciding factor.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:05:03 PM
The average age of GJO posters has gotten younger.

I've been thinking on this.... while I would hope other posters are resonsible and mature enough to allow the swear filter to be off, I dont think Morgan' words belittled Wei, nor were they abusive in intent at him. I do not consider Morgan went over the line.

I have no position on this as yet. I'm still considering. Lets say that that for now, I'd be disappointed GJO has changed that much we need a swear filter :/

TheHolo.Net
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:15:28 PM
Just to be clear, I am in no way defending Wei's actions, only trying to avoind having members think that staff put themselves above the rules any more so than they may already.

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:42:45 PM
I understand your concern Ogre, but...
I thought the amount of frequency and context Morgan used them...It's just my opinion, though.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:50:44 PM
From the thread:
But what you did really. Fucking. Pisses. Me. Off. This is the kind of shit, this kind of disrespect absolutely boils my blood. Calling what he did "shit" even though I agree that it was not right, is belittling his behavior and thus makes my opinion of it being inappropriate cotext stand.

I'm trying to base my opinion on my own sense of wrong and right impartially with no bearing of who is my friend or who is not my friend so that I can best weigh the situation as other posters would, and that is what brings me to the conclusion that it was inappropriate context.

Of course we are all free to have differing opinions, but there is the explanation for my own. :)

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:58:05 PM
I think it was appropriate for the situation, but I guess you're right.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:21:30 PM
Well, it's my opinion it was a warranted comment. I was more thinking telling Wei to go to hell was where others might of had a problem.

But what you did really. Fucking. Pisses. Me. Off. This is the kind of shit, this kind of disrespect absolutely boils my blood.

I would have posted something similar, so I cant really comment.

I would say I'm rather uncomfortable dissecting Morgan's post and analysing, okay it was a flame but frankly I really do think Wei had that one coming. Besdies, who am I to judge? Two years ago I would have posted soemthign a good deal worse.

I dont know. For most of us, the filter deserves to stay off. For people like Wei, it needs to come back on. Pity you cant toggle the filter on and off for certain people only. I really dont like taking somethign away from the majority who will respect the filter, when only one or two jackasses dont.

AmazonBabe
Nov 26th, 2002, 08:34:52 PM
Pity you cant toggle the filter on and off for certain people only. I really dont like taking somethign away from the majority who will respect the filter, when only one or two jackasses dont.

As I was reading the comments in here, and really thinking the filter should be turned back on, I thought the exact same thing.

It's not that I don't agree with what Morg said... I do. And if I'd reached my snapping limit, I'd probably have been just as blunt.

What I worry about is how the younger posters will pick up on it... kinda a "monkey see, monkey do" type thing.

Figrin D'an
Nov 26th, 2002, 09:43:55 PM
That's very true, AB. We all know that there is a higher concentration of "younger" people around the board now, and I question whether or not they can handle the filter being turned off. They just don't have the maturity to do so. That's not meant as an insult to any them... it's just a fact.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 27th, 2002, 12:25:50 AM
I'm sorry, but I believe Wei is the same age as I am. We've ALWAYS had younger posters, such as Fire Hazzard and Alpha.

Thats a fairly lame excuse. This batch of new ones are just completely over-emotional.

There is a general tendency to attract people with thin skin, but Wei &Co. have it going at a new level of whine.

Anbira Hicchoru
Nov 27th, 2002, 12:31:34 AM
I agree. Age is not a good watermark of maturity.

You compare, for instance, AB and Vega.

AB is 24, Vega is 15.

AB acts 15, and Vega acts 24.

(That's not an insult on AB, she's just a kid trapped in the body of an adult, and has the toy collection to prove :p)

People behave differently when they get older. At younger ages, age and maturity are correlated pretty closely, but when you start broadening the number of people you associate with, you develop your own unique patterns, and eventually, it shows on your personality.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 27th, 2002, 03:58:52 AM
I think maturity in posting also comes from feelign accepted and being in a palce where you feel at home and at one with the community. For example, Fire Hazzard right royally pissed everyone off when she first came to GJO, she was pretty much run out fo the place on a rail. But some people (like Leia and myself) took her under wing and she became quite wel respected in the end, to the point she was a favorite of a lot fo posters. Leeloo also pissed people off, but she's certainly more mature.

I think people need time to realise what's acceptible and what is not. Granted Leeloo and Fire Hazzard were also fairly young when they arrived, but still......

I tend to be forgiving of stupidity if they do something worthwhile as well. I'm struggling to find soemthing worthwhile in sme of the newish Jedi, which is saying something, I've always been willing to give Jedi the benifit of the doubt. Hell, I'll do that for anyone, which is why this place is quite open and accomodating. Especially if they make me laugh. I like laughing, it detoxifies me. It's also the reason I get so godawfully pissed off if I have to switch to Admin mode on a Jedi. I really detest doing that.

I'm loathe to admit it, but I have to agree. If a few just cant have the maturity and sense to have the swear filters off, Then there can only be two choices - turn on the filter or dismiss said miscreants from Avalon's OOC.

(Disappointed that Avalon OOC was such a good idea, just it's caused more headaches than anything else. Also disappointed there are two or three Jedi that are close to full banning. I cant really remember that ever happenign before)

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 27th, 2002, 10:03:25 AM
Perhaps another post ... an ultimatum perhaps? Something to deter this because it isn't just the swearing... it is the attitude. Something along the lines of RPing is about OOC respect not just IC wise?

I just woke up so maybe that made no sense :\

Figrin D'an
Nov 27th, 2002, 06:52:15 PM
I already issued an ultimatum... it's very clearly posted in the OOC Avalon forum, labeled as "Must Read," spelling out the policy very concisely. If they aren't going to follow it, they're not going to listen to another one.

The next step is temporary banning. That's the only way people will listen if we aren't going to turn the swear filter back on. Either turn the filter back on, or start cracking down and back up our talk.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:39:02 PM
The most important thing to me is to remember that we have to set the example in our own actions and speech.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:58:28 PM
True Fig :\

mebbe we could turn off the filter and turn it back on again without anyone knowing ... perhaps the fact that it was "annouced" made things worse if we would have just let it be.

AmazonBabe
Nov 28th, 2002, 10:36:42 PM
AB is 24, Vega is 15.

AB acts 15, and Vega acts 24.

(That's not an insult on AB, she's just a kid trapped in the body of an adult, and has the toy collection to prove :p)

I just have oodles and oodles of energy to let out and so many fun things to do! I've got that nuclear reactor for a metabolism, remember? Must... use... pent-up... ENERGY! (or I'll explode!)

:: Runs amuck. :: :p:p:p

Seriously, though, what Nav just mentioned isn't such a bad idea. It seems with them knowing it's off, they take advantage of it. But, who knows... only way to find out is to try it.

And a temp banning would probably snap some of em to "attention" Might open their eyes to what they're doing is upsetting ppl. And if it doesn't... well... I'd hate to see drastic measures taken (permanent one's at that), but how else can we safe-guard this community? It's either turn the filter back on for all time, or ban some for all time.

Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. :\

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 28th, 2002, 11:22:35 PM
I dont think someone's behavor is going to be modified by the filter being turned on.

Directly warned or dismissed from Avalon OOC would be an attention getter

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 29th, 2002, 10:52:39 AM
I see the filter being off as something getter worse in the near future :\ but that is just me