PDA

View Full Version : New Radio Gig!

JonathanLB
Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:00:58 AM
I may as well mention this now, although I was going to wait a bit because I'm still making sure of the details, but through a chance meeting my dad had on an airplane, I'm going to get another chance at radio! This time, though, it is much, much bigger.

I was first on the radio, just one time, with WHTR 93.7 FM in Albany, New York.

Well I talked to the producer of this other radio station and we're working out the details, but they will be able to secure a Portland press pass for me so that I get into all screenings that are offered early and can review films with the other critics, without charge. I will provide a "youth perspective" on movies for the station, which would want me 1-2 times per month according to the producer.

The station is ABC-owned and operated KGO Newsradio 810 am, which receives about 1 million page views per day to its Website according to the producer. It is one of the major San Francisco area stations.

I have to figure out how I'm going to see these screenings because I'm a full time college student too, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out, given what a great opportunity this is. They're really excited about the arrangement and of course I am too. I'm surprised they are so interested, but I guess they've been looking for movie critics and I fill a certain niche that they really wanted. Of course, it's a great chance for me to get into these movies early (and free!) so that I can review them just like any other respectable critic.

I'm really looking forward to this, but it'll be a few weeks before we get all of the details worked out properly. The actual radio personality who my dad met (not the producer I talked to) is going to have dinner with us on Sunday or Monday night apparently. He's in Portland a lot and he was a newscaster here for a while. He's worked all over, though.

CMJ
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:46:49 PM
Great news Jonathan...you really seem to be going places. :)

JediBoricua
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:12:22 PM
Well if the deal gets done post the link of the station, maybe we can all hear you!

JonathanLB
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:28:53 PM
Sure thing. I hope Lucas likes this station ;) lol, j/k

Well CMJ, one can only hope. This would look great on a resume later, I mean, if I were actually to want to be a film critic for a few years to get the money to make movies on the side, for instance, it'd be really helpful experience.

I think that when I get out of college I can definitely be one of the top "new candidates" for a critic job somewhere, even if it's in some rinky dink city, hehe. Probably I'd be like a third string critic or something (that sounds funny), but you never know. I don't actually want to be a film critic, but I was just thinking that with as hard as it is to get a nice paying job in Hollywood (I have no illusions about that), I'd better have a good backup plan at least...

BUFFJEDI
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:06:25 PM
Dude that's awesome!!! Good luck hope all goes well. Of course YOU can give me a Plug:D . Since CMJ won't :p at his work:(

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:29:20 PM
Buff, I'll give you a plug! What's your address, I'll send it to you. ;)

Great news Jonathan! Which radio station is it??? Or can you say yet?

BUFFJEDI
Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:07:41 PM
:lol :lol