PDA

View Full Version : Great American Smoke out..

Sigil Roland
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:36:19 AM
Yes friends today was the Great American Smoke Out. And I have been smoke-free for some time now and wondering if any of you smoked and went ahead not smoking today.

Ceres Duvall
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:37:52 AM
I don't smoke. Second hand smoke alone gives me horrible migraines, so I don't dare touch the stuff. Although I do remember trying to get my sister to quit a lot when I was little. :D By throwing her cigs in the toilet or in the dirty dish water out in the kitchen. Or even by cutting them all into little peices in the front yard. lol

Anyways, good luck to anyone that decides to quit! :)

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:43:21 AM
Ya, I get sick also with cigeratte second-hand smoke. Nasty stuff it is. I start coughing and hacking. Come to think of it, most of my family gets that way also. Must have a allergy to it in my family.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:57:33 AM
I'm not one for smoking, and I abhor the smell of regular cigarettes. Cigars can often be worse smelling.

But, good pipe tobacco can be very delicious and sweet smelling. I would like to note that I do not, and have not smoked a pipe myself, but my neighbor's dad often did, and I have smelled other pipe smoke before and find it not offensive whatsoever. That, and pipe tobacco is much more pure than the nasty, chemical-filled crap that is shredded and stuffed into cigarettes. That, and pipes can have much better filters too. If I had to smoke, it would be on a pipe.

And in an off note, for those of you who know my character Bhen F'Sharr, he smokes on average four packs a day.

Gurney Devries
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:05:46 AM
Pipes are nice. Their main disadvantage, however, is that they're rather cumbersome. You can't just take one with you anywhere you go. You can't just light one in the car on your way to work.

Personally, I rather like the smell of most cigars. That's probably because I grew up around them. I've tried them once or twice, and I'm not very fond of the taste, however.

The only thing I do like to smoke are clove cigarettes, every once in a blue moon. I enjoy the taste and smell of them.

BTW - since this has happened before, can we please avoid posting things like "Smoking is bad, it kills you, it turns your lungs black", etc? We all know that. The warning has been on the package for years. :)

Ceres Duvall
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:33:52 AM
I have a question though. Why do people buy something that says it will kill you right on the box? :)

Gurney Devries
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:36:42 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just hedonistic. :)

Sejah Haversh
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:12:50 AM
As I said, pipe tobacco is much milder.

That, and you also don't inhale it, you taste it in your mouth, then expel it. Done properly, very little actually touches your lungs.

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:46:09 AM
Well, at anyrate, I don;t smoke, and being around cigarette smoke leaves me feeling soiled phyically and tainted emotionally.

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:47:14 AM
Everything kills you these days. Get over it.

Sene Unty
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:16:18 AM
I smoke because I enjoy it....the warning's for wussies! :D

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:47:51 PM
I dont smoke because I want to be able to do thing when older without hacking my lungs out :)

Jedieb
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:03:49 PM
Sene is going to die, NOOOOO!!! One less person to compete against in the football pool. Sweeeeet... :smokin

Ishan Shade
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:06:05 PM
I smoke, and sadly yes I did smoke today.....one day I will get around to quitting this habit of mine....not today though :smokin

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:43:20 PM
I don't smoke. Jax has been known to wander around with a ciggie hanging out of his mouth so if you see him, flick his hand, take the ciggie away from him and tell him he's a bad little boy, will you? Its so hard being an absentee mother. :lol

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:47:54 PM
I didn't smoke today :)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:29:57 PM
Never smoked, never will. Except tyres. High powered rear drive car and large width tyres, smokescreen :D

Zasz Grimm
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:27:04 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent

So true, so true.

I do smoke, but I didn't today. Well, plus I was out. But still, I didn't, and that's what it's all about.

:D

Ishan Shade
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:32:13 PM
:D Nice will power Zasz

imported_Ambrose Braeden
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:40:14 PM
smoking is so nasty...

Aello Stromfeather
Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:18:29 AM
smoke has a tendancy to be icky, specially from regular cigarettes, but cigars arent as bad [probably cos i'm used to the smell] and pipes arent so bad, cos they dont seem to give off so much smoke.

dont smoke myself, cos i gotta stay training, and anyway, it doesnt appeal, but it doent offend me if other people do, as long as its not constant cigarette.

ReaperFett
Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:37:41 AM
Yeah, but this kills those around you too. I dont care if you want to suicide yourself, but dont take me with you ;)

Sanis Prent
Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:49:56 AM
Then stop driving your car around me, Captain Double Standard.

ReaperFett
Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:13:15 AM
I dont drive :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:32:47 AM
Have you willingly accepted a ride in an internal combustion driven vehicle? Then you are an accomplice to mass murder.

ReaperFett
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:34:39 AM
You know, you could take this argument to an extreme, but Im going to just step away instead :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:35:56 AM
Probably for the best. As I said...these days, everything is killing you slowly. Fried chicken, grilled chicken, tap water, sex, suntans, etc.

imported_Blade Ice
Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:52:17 PM
Life is just a slow road towards death anyway, why fight fate.

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Nov 24th, 2002, 12:27:09 AM
never smoked and I never will...seeing as I lost two granparents to it before the age of ten and then watched my grandfather slowly die over the course of about a year and half of lung cancer, then almost lost the last grandparent to it as well, smoking just disgusts me......I will never touch even one and I try to get anyone I care about to stop......yes, I hear all the time that everything kills you slowly but watch a loved one die of it then see if you think the same........

Sigil Roland
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:50:54 PM
Yes, this last year I had to deal with my parents watch one of their friends die of brain and lung cancer. It was not a pleasent sight, even just hearing about it.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:04:55 AM
Each and every one of us is going to die . Im making a conscience choice of how Im going to go out.

I pretty much decided the hell with the physical fitness stuff... especially after that one world reknown runner (and author of several fitness books), collapsed and died in his 40's. (was his name Jim Fixx?)

I say since none of us know when we're punching out, go out doing something you enjoy. :D

Sith Ahnk
Nov 25th, 2002, 03:57:08 AM
How anyone can enjoy cigarettes is beyond me. I find it incredibly selfish, akin to killing people at the mall because it makes you forget about losing your job.

Taylor Millard
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:42:10 AM
I am going to make one comment about this thread and then I'm exitting.

Now, my dad's a lung doc and I don't like cigarettes at all. But that being said, it is the individual person's choice to smoke. You honestly cannot force someone to not smoke.

Remember smokers are doing this to their own bodies, and the tests on second hand smoke aren't as bad as you think they are. If you don't like someone smoking then leave where there are smokers. It's why there are smoking sections and non-smoking sections. You have the choice to move as well ya know :)

Now...that being said...I do smoke. But not cigarettes...I loathe them.

Last night my best friend and I went out to an Irish Pub and had a glass of Glen Livet 12 year aged Single Malt Scotch, an Irish Coffee, and an Irish Ale (can't remember the name of the ale itself sorry).

And my best friend and I both lit up on cigars (and he on his pipe). I had a Fuente Fuente Opus X Churchill and an Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature Maduro. Both extremely smooth cigars, both extremely good cigars. I've had plenty of women (yes women!) come up to me and say the cigar smelled good.

It's the cheap Garcia y Vegas, Swisher Sweets, and Black and Mild (the latter two are NOT cigars) that smell.

Plus it also depends on the strength of the cigar as well. If a cigar is a dark cigar it normally smells stronger (the exception to this rule is the Ashton Double Aged Maduro- smells like a cup of coffee, and the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro). Cigars do not smell terrible (unless it's a poorly made cigar) plus you don't inhale them...if you did you'd choke (trust me...I've done that a couple times).

Is cigar smoking an addiction? I smoked for the first time in months and I'm going to do it again tonight and the night after. I like smoking cigars, they taste good, plus they relax me too.

All right...I'm finished now...back to my family. :D

Zasz Grimm
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:46:15 AM
I know Ishlan, I know.

:D

I haven't smoked a Cigar in a while....Maybe I need to do that.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:56:54 AM
:smokin

Sene Unty
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:11:08 AM
Im gonna go have a cigarette now......anyone wanna join me? (that was a joke.....but I really will have a cigarette.....)

Sanis Prent
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:15:07 AM
I had a great cigar when Morg came up for the party. I haven't had one in years...just might have to try that again.

Sene Unty
Nov 25th, 2002, 09:15:49 AM
I love cigars. Cuban cigars to be more specific.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:30:11 PM
I realize that some smokers are rude with thier habit. They do not take into consideration the feelings of those around them. I do.

I highly resent the fact that some, not all (notice that I did NOT lump all of you non-smokers in the same category) of the non-smokers who posted in this thread do tend to toss the lot uf us smokers together......as did Ankh in his incredibly uncalled for comparision to someone who is totally unstable and begins shooting innocent people at a mall. A FEW smokers may do that...
SEVERAL that you know may act that way...MOST of the ones you know could be incredibly thoughtless about the concerns of others
but ALL of us are not.

I think a rephrasing of your open statement needs to be posted.

Ishan Shade
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:59:29 PM
:smokin

I'll join ya Sene!

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:18:55 PM
I would concur with Miss Daiquiri.

I have asthma plus I was born with abnormaly small lungs, but I still managed to compete in sports and captain my High School football team. It was just grace that I could do these things, and I have since grown out of my breathing problems.

It does suck sometimes, though, that after all this, I cannot seem to escape the ever-present lingering of cigarette smoke. I live in a Residence Hall (dorm) at college, and I am an RA (staff) and there is really only one place people smoke--the front porch. Through my experiences, I have found that there are two kinds of smokers: Smokers and Socializers. The Smokers are people who smoke for one reason or another--they picked it up when they were young and now it's a habbit, they actually like it, or they are really, really addicted. The Socializers are people blessed with the odd talent of not needing a cigarette so much--they do it for social reasons, because they think they acutally look 'cool,' or their friends do it and they are mindless.

Typically, the Smokers are curteous people--they have no problem moving if asked, are receptive to jokes, and will generally anticipate the needs of other people when they smoke (i.e. they will move before they are asked if they see someone needs them to). Plus, they are friendly, which is a big plus. Adversely, the Socializers are complete jerks. They feel the need to stand right by the door or flaunt the fact that they are smoking because they like to. Once, I asked a Socializer to move down from the door because they aren't supposed to smoke there, and he blew smoke in my face. I thought that only happened in the movies!

Anyway, pardon the length of this post (though those that know me expect novels! :D ) and thanks for viewing my opinion. To those of you Smokers: all a non-smoker like myself politely asks is that we can agree to smoke/breath in peace. To those of you Socializers: GO TO HE...nevermind! :lol

Silus Xilarian
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:08:30 PM
I have a friend that is allergic to cigarette smoke. However whenever shes around me, she goes out of her way to allow me to smoke, and I go out of my way to keep the smoke away from her.....So far we have a good little arangement worked out.

I dont go psycho from nicotene fits, and she doesnt go psycho from extreme headaches and coughing fits.....

The point being, a bad habit, such as smoking, when dealt with responsibly can greatly reduce any uncomfort on both sides....

IMO bad habits, such as judging a person's character by that person's minor faults, and duely bashing them for it, tend to be much more uncomfortable....

This also includes emphatically stating your views on a certain subject with full knowledge that the subject has caused controversy before, and is guaranteed to start it again...

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:16:54 PM
Was that post directed at me? Because if it was, I apologize if offense was taken from it. I thought it was mostly for fun and didn't realize that someone would take offense to it. I was simply stereotyping in jest, and no harm was meant by it. I can't help it--I am a political science/sociology major. I guess stereotype and sarcasim are just in my blood :D

My apologies again, as no comment was meant to attack.

Gurney Devries
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:23:45 PM
I don't think it was, Terran. :)

I haven't had a Clove Cigarette in... 3, maybe 4 months. And even then, it was just one. That's hardly going to kill me any faster than the car exhaust floating around in the air (which has been proven to be a larger carcinogen than secondhand smoke, btw).

Silus Xilarian
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:58:16 PM
My post was in no way, shape or form directed at you Terran, sorry for the confusion :)

In fact, I appreciated your post a great deal :)

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 25th, 2002, 08:00:16 PM
Whew!

I am one of those "Be nice to everyone and please everyone" people, and the thought that I openly offended someone really bothered me. Yeah, I know it's a stupid flaw, but yeah, it had me worried.

Anyway, yeah. Glad to hear that all is well. Back to the topic--pardon my rambling.

(Hey Silus--did you get your promotion?? hehehehe!! :lol )

Sene Unty
Nov 26th, 2002, 01:06:30 PM
I liked the post Terran.....very nice!

I have noticed the same thing. Most people who are smokers do not really care about moving or smoking outside. Hell I sure don't. However when you get those people trying to look cool, then you run into problems.

And on a side note. To my fellow smokers, do you mind when someone tries to bum a cigarette of you??? Just wondering.

Personally it all depends on my mood and whether I like the person. If I dont like you.....then you are going to get an answer like: "Oh this is my last one." If I like you, or I am in a good mood....I really dont care. My biggest problem is that cigarettes are so expensive. I dont have the kind of money to blow on extra cigarette packs. I have to conserve them!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Nov 26th, 2002, 03:30:56 PM
what I've never understood is one part of the arguement that we all die someday.....unlike most of you, I watched a love one fade away in pain for over a year and I've been told my other grandparents also died after a painful fight with their lung cancer as well.....why does one want to die in pain? honestly I just don't see why, maybe it's just me but just seems idiotic......

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 26th, 2002, 11:45:28 PM
I think everyone dies in pain....except perhaps those lucky few who happen to slip away 'peacefully' in thier sleep, providing that they arent suffering from anything else.

My maternal Grandmother died from pancreatic cancer and she never smoked. My Grandfather smoked for years and died from Alzheimers....go figure.

The point being is this.....seemingly perfectly healthy people die from diseases, heart attacks, etc, everyday. Ive known people who smoked and drank and they outlived most around them. Healthy or unhealthy, go out the way you want, doing something you enjoy. Whats not to understand?

And thank you, Terran, for seeing my point.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Nov 27th, 2002, 12:09:03 AM
Very true, Daiq.