PDA

View Full Version : The Color of Magic: Discworld! (open book discussions)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:50:13 PM
Charley has been raving about these books for ages, and I was wandering around Borders, and finally found them. Bam! Right in front of me, two shelves up from the floor, and there they sat, about ten different titles in horrendously bright colors. Paperback, of course, I'm not made of money.

So I bought The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett, yesterday, and I'm already nearly done with it. I love it! Its irreverant, funny, and highly addicting.

I would also like to add, that for all his praising, Charley isn't even reading the books in order. ;)

So...yeah! Awesome, and now I'll have to spend a lot of money trying to get all the books now. :(

Also, Robert Jordan is coming out with a NEW BOOK FINALLY! After two long years of waiting, its time for book 407* of his Wheel of Time series! At long last! Now if only George R. R. Martin would get cracking on his A Feast for Crows... I would be one happy woman.

*number has been artificially inflated for comic relief

Mu Satach
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:54:22 PM
Bah! Don't spend money... just try and find them in your local library... :)

course I'm on a very tight budget at the moment so all my dvd, cd and books are coming from the library.

:rollin

Taylor Millard
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:54:58 PM
A Feast of Crows eh?

YOu know I can go kill some in Dallas and send them to you in a pie. Then you'd have a 'Feast of Crows' ;)

But I look forward to that book too. :D

Figrin D'an
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:58:34 PM
Love Terry Pratchett's stuff. I've read some of the Discworld books on and off over the years. He has a wonderful humor when it comes to portraying real events in his own imaginative world.

I never really got into the Wheel of Time series. Maybe I'll revisit it someday. I really need to tackle some Frank Herbert, though... get through some of those "Dune" books.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:03:54 AM
I'm getting the Harry Potter books from the library, but these ones I really would love to own. :( Alas, I'm a bookworm!

And...FOR, not of! FOR Crows.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:05:23 AM
There are so many and they are so long! I'm going to have to re-read Winter's Heart so I can remember what on earth is going on. Unfortunately my copy of it is in storage in Southern California...and has been for a year and a half. :x

Morgan Evanar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:07:06 AM
I really really dispise WoT. I read halfway through the first book before I threw it across the room.

Its the most boring goddamn thing ever. Tolkien's writing is a bit too much sometimes, and I understand that sometimes it takes a book a while to get going. No biggy.

The WoT stuff keeps droning on and on. Furthermore, I didn't care about any of the characters. Robert Jordan pretty much failed as a story writer in my eyes. Oh well.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:13:48 AM
This next one I have to read, only because I've put so much of my life into reading these books already. To be honest, the stories wander and the people who I think are dead and dealt with seem to keep coming back.

I read them just to keep tabs on Mat. :D

And a great WoT drinking game:

Take a drink every time Nynaeve tugs on her braid.

Take a drink every time Perrin is confused about women.

Take a drink every time Rand is unsure about saving the world, or how to do it.

Take a drink every time Lews Therrin ( I probably just butchered his name) talks inside Rand's head.

Take a drink every time Mat says he hates Aes Sedai!

Hmmm...well reading takes too long, If they were condensed into a movie, you'd be sauced.

And I'm in the middle of Hrun's fight with the dragons in The Color of Magic and I'm dying to pick it up. In fact, I think I shall!

Taylor Millard
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:15:58 AM
Gonna get smashed too? With the drinking game? ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:16:41 AM
oh right..NOT

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:36:47 AM
I really only concentrated on the Discworld books pertaining to Ankh Morkpork City Watch, but I'm reading them in order when I have the time.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:22:39 AM
There are no maps. You can't map a sense of humor. Anyway, what is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know that There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs.

It is at this point that normal language gives up, and goes and has a drink.

Terry Pratchett is...great! I'm so glad I decided to read this book. I just finished it..wonderful!

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:24:41 AM
Yay, another addict.

Taylor Millard
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:25:15 AM
:lol :lol

I suppose after I finish 'Titus Andronicus' I should check it out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:27:02 AM
Of course you should!!

That first paragraph I quoted pretty much sums up the book. Its great! Did I mention I really liked it?? :D