PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ashamed To be A SW Geek?

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:45:05 PM
One day at work I was outside in the( smoke shaq:lol )Yeah I took smoking back up.ONLY because of seeing Harry Potter (another story) Anyway, I was there with a few of my friends at work and there comes in some HOT!!!! RN's from the school doing there intern work at our Hospital. Well one of the guy's that I work with whom I really dislike (he thinks he is such a stud:rolleyes ) Starts picking on me about being a Starwars nerd. Now I got the Impression that he was doing so to make me look bad in front of these HOT!!!! RN"s(did I mention they were HOT!!!!!!!!) My first reaction was to shove his Cig up his ars and Light it through his nose BUT being the kinder, gentler Buff, laughed it off. Now all the attention is on me, What to do. Well Guy's I let it all hang out. I let them know WITH pride how many times I have seen each film. How much of a collection I have . Even told them I cried when Luke set Vader on fire in ROTJ.Of course I got blank WTF is this guy talking about stares But I could careless. I AM A SW GEEK and proud of it!!!!Of course this is not the first time something like this has happened and I doubt the last. How about you Guy's/Gals how do you feel .PROUD or Ashamed ???I think I have asked this before BUT It's role call time agian :)

Admiral Lebron
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:47:17 PM
I was in the middle of math class once and this kid called me a star wars geek (or something like it)... so I proudly displaced it.

Taylor Millard
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:53:12 PM
I had Star Wars comics in my locker and an Imperial pin proudly on the lapel of my jean jacket.

I was (until I saw the price) going to get a personalized license plate saying, "TIEFTR"

I'm a Star Wars fan and I don't care. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:56:04 PM
I dont hide it, but dont display it.

If you get to know me, you'd know I am, big time. But otherwise? You wouldnt know.

Silus Xilarian
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:03:22 PM
Star Wars geek?

Im just here for the cookies :)

JMK
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:04:20 PM
Ashamed? Not a chance! Everyone knows me because of my my love of Star Wars. It's literally the first thing people think of when my name is mentioned. Last summer when I was on a break from my current gf she came into my room for the first time and saw all the SW stuff and said "This has to go".....well what do you think went through my head? "No...you've got to go". And go she did. Of course I had to find out if there was any more use for her, but that's another story. ;)

Lady Vader
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:05:31 PM
I am DANG proud of being a SW geek! Hell, I think half of CA knows I'm a SW geek by now! :lol

And, Buff, if I'd been there among the RN's (I wouldn't call myself HOT!!!!!), I woulda struck up a conversation with ya and done the honors of shoving said cigar up Mr. "Studs" whazoo. :D

Aren't I just so lady-like? :lol

Figrin D'an
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:11:37 PM
I think just about everyone I know is well aware that I am a huge Star Wars fan. Either they accept it, or they don't. It's not my problem if someone should take issue with it. Besides, if anyone should, I just let it go. There is no reason for me to become stressed or agitated over something so trivial and childish.

I like Star Wars. I also like Tolkien's books, using computers, learning about new science and technology, going out with my friends for a drinks and chatting, and football. It's part of who I am. And I'm quite comfortable with that. :)

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:17:05 PM
All my friends back home knew I was a SW fan. But more than that they knew I was a film geek...if anything I got more crap about being such a Spielberg nut...or being able to pull a quote from a movie for any situation...than I did for being a SW fan.

Besides, even my love for my alma mater rivals my passion for movies. ;)

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:20:39 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
I am DANG proud of being a SW geek! Hell, I think half of CA knows I'm a SW geek by now! :lol

And, Buff, if I'd been there among the RN's (I wouldn't call myself HOT!!!!!), I woulda struck up a conversation with ya and done the honors of shoving said cigar up Mr. "Studs" whazoo. :D

Aren't I just so lady-like? :lol :lol :lol

Yourmy kind of lady, ladyV.:cool

Admiral Lebron
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:25:30 PM
Buff get on aim.

JonathanLB
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:28:18 PM
I love Star Wars and I think it is clear that I don't mind people knowing that about me, but I don't go shoving it in their faces either.

I'd rather be known as a consumate film buff first, then a Star Wars fan, even though in reality, to me, Star Wars is really the most important part of me because I give it credit for my interest in films. I'm not a consumate film buff yet, IMO, so that's rather besides the point, but in my reviewing of movies and constant studying of film, I am hoping that eventually I'll get there.

I was bothered particularly in high school by the labels people have without really getting to know you, even if they mean nothing by it. Everyone saw me as this "really smart guy who is a big Star Wars fan." Don't get me wrong, there are a TON of worse things to be known by in the world! I just was disappointed that to them I was just a Star Wars fan who did well in school, I wasn't any more complicated than that because most people didn't know me. My friends did, I guess I should be happy enough with that, but I don't think people like to be labeled in any way. I love Star Wars, I'm comfortable being called a Star Wars fan even as the #1 most important characteristic of me or something, but if that's all I am to someone is a Star Wars fan and maybe a good student, that's pretty weak.

I try to avoid classifying other people I meet in real life as just one thing or another. Like this kid Verheggen, who was a class level below me, smartest kid I've ever met in my life. I am not kidding you, he was far, far smarter than any teacher. As a junior, he was in Calculus III (I was in normal Calculus even though I was a year ahead of him, and I was a year ahead of some other people in my grade level), he took AP Physics, AP Chemistry, and AP Biology, not to mention AP English, and our high school only offered those 4 AP classes. He had a 4.0, of course, 1510 SAT score... IN 8TH GRADE! I got a 1350, or top 7%, when I was a senior and he kicked my butt badly when he was 4 years younger than me. The guy is nothing short of genius, and he went to Stanford, where a few of my other friends are too (Sean and Matt, who is a philosophy major like me, hehe).

Anyway, I wasn't content with knowing him as just a "really smart guy" because there is more to anybody than just some simple term or phrase. I began sitting with him senior year in our normal biology class (he also took the AP class, but that was his next year). We talked a lot, he laughed at me a lot because I'd try to make him laugh and say things he wouldn't expect, and I'd routinely encourage him to laugh about my poor studying habits in the final year. Don't get me wrong, I had all A's in every class except Calculus (a B and then barely a C second semester, LOL). Anyway, I'd just joke around about how I had no idea what I was doing on the last Calculus quiz and he found it funny because Mr. 100% aces everything, or maybe he gets a lousy 98% every great once in a while. Well I became pretty good friends with Verheggen, hung out with him at lunch, we talked a lot, and he had no friends really, to be honest. He is a super nice guy, but smart people are often isolated. That is my experience too, if you're not the party type and not of average intelligence, expect to be isolated because you're not "normal" -- but don't get me wrong, I knew a few hot girls (keyword here being HOT) who were incredibly smart and also very popular. I didn't know a single guy who was smart and popular, though, just didn't happen. There were a few, I didn't know them.

Anyway, point being, I wanted to know the real Verheggen, and I wish more people would make the extra effort to get to know people who they might not otherwise associate with. I'm not a very outgoing person actually, but he intrigued me and I thought I'd see if there was something more to him than being a genius ;) We had some great political and philosophical conversations too.

Actually Ben and I joked about that the other day, sorry this is a bit elitist, but we were watching Waking Life and I said, "Hey you and I have this conversation all of the time!!!" and he said, "Yeah, our normal conversations are a lot like this, which is funny because this conversation would probably blow most peoples' minds." LOL, anyway that's off topic.

Star Wars rules. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:27:47 PM
Aaaahhhh...I like liking Star Wars. Lots of girls think I'm weird because I'm so into Sci-Fi and movies, and Star Wars. C'mon, do you know how many times I've heard "Oh, I've never seen those movies." OMG I die every time a girl says that. How can they NOT WATCH STAR WARS!?

Then they give me really weird looks and demand I watch Grease with them. I haven't yet. They should give in and watch Star Wars. All three. Then, MAYBE I'll watch Grease. :rolleyes

I get more crap from my family for roleplaying online though. :x :D But they'll all eat their hats when I get published....:grumble

Figrin D'an
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:19:34 PM
For the record... Grease is quite possibly the worst musical ever made. You're not missing much, LD.

(Puts on flame-retardant suit)

JMK
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:26:24 PM
*Brings asbestos blanket for Figrin*

*cough*cough*Iagree*cough*cough*

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:50:54 PM
I definantly agree. Grease is awful

Me? SW Geek?

Do I need to log in as DT to prove it?

JMK
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:53:01 PM
Why don't you? I don't think this forum has seen DT in quite a while!

JonathanLB
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:00:54 PM
Is Grease really that bad?! Wow...

I don't think I ever watched it, but isn't it supposed to be a really big, popular film?!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:27:39 PM
It's highly overrated.

Darth Turbogeek
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:28:41 PM
TA-DA!

Hello everyone, how are you all? I aint seen you in ages!

Dae Jinn
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:44:14 PM
Grease is pretty...interesting....;)

Nupraptor
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:44:16 PM
At every other board I post at, I put down "SW Geek" in my profile. :) But, generally, I don't go out of my way to mention it IRL. If we happen to start talking about SW... well, then, it rears its head.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:01:42 PM
Yeah I'm the same way. Not afraid to admit it, but I don't like scaring people off. :p

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:15:56 PM
Just about everybody who knows me know that I am a big SW fan, still I don't flaunt it or anything, but I am certaintly not ashamed of it.

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:59:11 AM
I don't wear star wars shirts or anything, but everybody knows where I stand on it. My cell phone has the Star Wars theme as its ring, and I've got a pair of posters on my wall, with another 2 back at home. Jango Fett lines up a shot on all my dorm room visitors. So yeah...people know about it. They know about my epic 20 hour endurance fest with LV and company at the AotC premiere, all dressed up. That, however, was NOT my idea. I think its LUDICROUS to wait that long, and was hoping to start the line around 5 that afternoon. I had a good time though, don't get me wrong.

I don't read much EU, because I'm picky about what I read in the first place. Aside from a few impulse buys, I'm not a big SW spender, but its one of my bigger hobbies...next to Alabama Football and some other things :)

Recea Letikk
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:11:42 AM
My SW/sci fi nut job personality is part of my charm. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:37:04 AM
I don't spend a lot, my only SW stuff I own (not even the movies! :(:() are my Essentials Guides, which help be be realistic (in a ficticious world, yes I have it bad) in the RPing here...

Oh and a few old semi-published fanfiction collections from 1999 and 1979, erm, a few EU novels...my Star Wars stuff is mostly in book format.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:38:00 AM
I don't have a problem with it generally, because I tend to find and make friends with quirky folks, and I really have no use for people who are closed-minded about ANYTHING, including SW, LOTR and HP. I don't look like it IRL, and most geekoids (and I use the term lovingly, of course) are amazed and worshipful. They elected me their queen in high school, and I bore the title lovingly. I have found that most social outcasts make the best friends, and have no shame about making friends with anyone.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:53:01 AM
Amen to that! :D

JonathanLB
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:05:45 AM
Social outcasts... That's funny, but sad.

I have probably spent in the neighborhood of $15,000 on Star Wars, lol, so yeah, if you walk in my room, you know I'm a Star Wars fan. I like to surround myself with what I love, hehe.

Jedieb
Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:41:57 AM
Grease rules!! :shootin
Loved it as a kid and when it was re-released a few years ago the wife and I were there opening night. Now the Michelle Phifer sequel was horrid, but that original was great. We've even seen the play. Stockard Channing and Jeff Conway what's not to lik... okay, bad example. John Travolta and hair grease, what's not to... damn, this isn't helping...

I haven't had a jedieb license plate on my Jeep in a few years, but it'll come back one day. I don't constantly talk about SW, but everyone who knows me knows my passion for it. My desk is littered with toys that students have given me over the years. Some people get it, most don't. I don't judge them either way. Truth be told, when I want to talk about SW I come here. There aren't any people in the RW that I converse with about SW. So when I want my fix, here I come.

Raymious
Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:47:20 AM
I am a big Sw geek but i dont show it when i am out and about...

Jedieb
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:32:50 AM
As an old timer I'm embarrased to admit this, but I had no idea Marcus and DT were one and the same. Oh the shame....:\

Morgan Evanar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:57:15 AM
Its ok, you don't visit the RP forums.

I don't go out of my way to mention it, but yeah, bring it up, and it I'm perfectly willing to expound on things.

Social outcasts... That's funny, but sad.

Why?

JediBoricua
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:17:28 PM
I am a SW geek and a proud one!

Ok I don't introduce myself as "Hello, my name is Luis and I like Star Wars", but when I meet someone new they usually know it after seeing me once or twice.

I do wear Star Wars t-shrts to college, I stood in-line for AOTC and I've even handed out flyers for my local Fanforce in College, at malls, etc.

I always have my thursday night open, because that's the day I have my weekly SW RPG session. My g/f knows this and she deals with it. I love her and all, but SW was here first! (god that sounds harsh).

My co-workers had not seen any SW, but after a few months with me they were forced to! Two of them even liked them!

JMK
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:33:31 PM
[quote]I love her and all, but SW was here first! (god that sounds harsh).
No no, you preach it brutha!

Jedieb
Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:54:10 PM
Something about this thread keeps nagging at me... Oh yeah, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING SMOKING CIGARETTES, BUFF?! You'll never reach a state of total buffness if you keep pumping that poison into your lungs. I'm completely and utterly crushed. My muslcle bound hero is a slave to lady nicotine. Say it isn't so buff!
:cry

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:28:41 PM
He said Harry Potter drove him back to cigarrettes! The shame.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:31:29 PM
Yeah, there was Buff and Potter, outside

"Go on, have one"
"I best not"
"Whats the worst It can do?"
"Well.....ok"

;)

Darth23
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:35:59 PM
Half the people who signed my high shcool yearbook wrote "May the Force be With You"

:D

JediBoricua
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:38:11 PM
In my prom the class wrote a brief description of everyone and it was read as you enter the room. Well obviously mine started with "Luis, the biggest Star Wars' fan in school..."

imported_Blade Ice
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:10:09 PM
I don't hide the fact that I'm a star wars geek but the weirdest thing is when i was in Highschool there was this teacher whom I was really good friends with and he was the biggest starwars geek I ever new. He owned every book and every movie and ever computer game but yet he had the gull to give me crap about Rping here.

He is still a cool teacher i don't hate him for giving me crap in fact I didn't when people gave me crap.

ReaperFett
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:17:27 PM
Im similar with SW as with Bond films and Marvel comics, thinking about it :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:57:38 PM
Hey Buff must have watched that Harry Potter on Leno the other night (it was celebrity Jeopardy) he was smoking away :P

BUFFJEDI
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:02:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Something about this thread keeps nagging at me... Oh yeah, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING SMOKING CIGARETTES, BUFF?! You'll never reach a state of total buffness if you keep pumping that poison into your lungs. I'm completely and utterly crushed. My muslcle bound hero is a slave to lady nicotine. Say it isn't so buff!
:cry :lol :lol

I'm sorry EB(s) I had quit about 6 months ago, BUT when I took my nephew to see Harry Potter I had to step out side . The movie was killing me (it was just the first 10 minutes :x ) Anyway there were several parents out there smoking and I borrowed one :( and I have been back at it since. BUt I'll put them back down Promise. But they really are great!!!!!! when I would teach a tybo type class and such I use to smoke afterwards and all the ladies in the class would Gasp!!It was soooo funny they were like you do all that and SMOKE!!!!. But Since I have been back in the Gym Lightly It'll not hurt me to bad:rolleyes .But to all you kids out there SMOKING BAD!!!!!!!! Buff can get away with it because, well because he's Buff:D

BUFFJEDI
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:03:28 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Hey Buff must have watched that Harry Potter on Leno the other night (it was celebrity Jeopardy) he was smoking away :P :lol :lol :lol

Lady Vader
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:07:14 PM
They know about my epic 20 hour endurance fest with LV and company at the AotC premiere, all dressed up.

:lol

And next time it'll be a 25-30 hour endurance fest. No really. I'm not joking. :D

AND, I'm lining up EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYY YYYYYYYYYYY for TTT and ROTK too. But that's beside the point. :mischief

(Yes, I'm crazy. :crack:rollin:crack:rollin:crack)

BUFFJEDI
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:12:52 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
:lol

And next time it'll be a 25-30 hour endurance fest. No really. I'm not joking. :D

AND, I'm lining up EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYY YYYYYYYYYYY for TTT and ROTK too. But that's beside the point. :mischief

(Yes, I'm crazy. :crack:rollin:crack:rollin:crack) Don't think anyone would argue with that;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:31:58 PM
Cool I wanna be like Buff! *takes up smoking*

j/k :rolleyes

:D

Raymious
Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:08:59 PM
I watched the previews of Harry potter and they said that it was better than SW....:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Admiral Lebron
Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:56:29 PM
.But to all you kids out there SMOKING BAD!!!!!!!

Is it? But I see the camel do it.... :rolleyes

imported_Ambrose Braeden
Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:59:31 PM
Exactly...thats just one of those stupid rules. Like in las vegas, you cant go to a strip club but you can pick up a whore...what is the deal with that...