PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Alpha Leaked

Oriadin
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:15:16 AM
got this from www.pcweb.com

--------------------------------------

Doom 3 Alpha Leaked

A very early version of Id's latest technological powerhouse has made it's way onto the internet and Mr. Carmack is not best pleased

Rumour has it that the dastardly deed was comitted by a disgruntled ATi employee. Others say that demonic forces are responsible. John Carmack says it wasn't supposed to happen. Either way, an Alpha version of the eagerly awaited Doom 3 is wrongly doing rounds on that hive of scum and villiany, the internet.

Being an Alpha version, the game's code has obviously not been optimised and thus, is not remotely representative of the final version of the game. Posting at Slashdot, John Carmack had a few things to say on the situation.

"No, this was not leaked on purpose.Yes, we are upset about it, and it will have some impact on how we deal with some companies in the future, but nothing drastic is going to change in terms of what support is going to be available. Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised."

We agree with the man's words (but not his haircut). Basing a decision on a game that is, for all intents and purposes, incomplete, is a bad idea. However, this is unlikely to influence the game's inevitable success. In fact, it's very likely that the technical quality of the game, despite its early stage, is already up to an exceedingly high level. And who can resist the allure of having already experienced the sequel to one of the most memorable games ever?

Ludwig Kietzmann

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:58:24 PM
This is old news... but I've seen it running. The lighting and physics are absurdly tight.

Oriadin
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:46:54 AM
Ive downloaded a couple of movies from the game. I cant wait to see it in action though. The screen grabs ive seen look awsome.

Nupraptor
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:53:44 AM
I'm really looking forward to the game. I've always been a huge Doom fan, and it looks like id is taking a nod from games like System Shock 2 on this one.

In terms of the graphics: the models are comprised of a surprisingly low number of polygons (the models in UT2003 have significantly higher poly counts). It'll be interesting to see what someone like Raven does with the engine (Quake 4, anyone?). The engine's main strengths lie in high texture detail and excellent lighting. Combine that with some crazy poly counts, and you may just start seeing games approach pre-rendered quality graphics.

Oriadin
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:58:47 AM
I heard a Quake 4 was in the making but its moving away from the UT and Arena style gameplay and going back to the same style as Quake 1 and 2 as well as Doom. Im pretty sure I read that at CVG some time ago but I could be wrong.

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 07:53:34 AM
Quake 4 is supposed to be a direct sequel to Quake 2. It's being developed by Raven, and is using the Doom 3 engine. :)

Raven has a history for taking id's engines and doing some pretty amazing stuff with them.