PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle this guy?

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:16:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure this is where I should be asking this, but here goes. I'm in a thread in the training grounds where I'm teaching Akrabbim a new technique: the ability to control light. Basically, I can make illusions outta light, squish it into a ball, etc. Anyway, I made it open for anyone who wanted to come in and play. Straffe Stormrider came in to train. No big deal. Problem is, he's basically acting like he can do illusions that I'm just barely past pulling off. Now, either I'm WAY underselling myself, or he's moding. I made an OOC comment to him, but I just wanna know everyone else's opinion on the matter. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=430266#post430266 (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=430266#post430266)

What do you guys think?

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:30:40 PM
I think your response was nice and gentle... and correct. Good gravy, I hate people who act like he's acting. It's just the inexperience, ya know. Oh well. I'd say of he doesn't OOC agree and change his ways or edit posts or something you could call it 'moding. Of course, that's highly unlikely that he'll change, but what the hey, benifit of the doubt, right?

Gurney Devries
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:34:00 PM
Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that, myself. You, a Master, just barely made a full illusion of yourself and he makes 4, just like that? Ehhhh... I don't think so.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't ruin the thread, because I was looking forward to RPing with you.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:07:58 AM
Fair comments Akrabbim, quite fair.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:22:53 AM
Good... well, I think Straffe was using a normal illusion, while I'm using one made of light. But still, I figured that level of control, especially with adding sound, would be very difficult to pull off.

Gurney Devries
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:39:21 AM
I got the impression that he was attempting to imitate what you were doing.

Helenias Evenstar
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:58:58 AM
I have seen others try something similar, but I've found the key missing is making a convincing replica within the Force - otherwise, you simply look at the "illusions" and you can tell only one has a proper place within the Force. Would it not be the case that a Master can create a much, much more convincing replica of himself with The Force?

But I would agree, the more detail - and more versions - the far harder it is to do convincingly. To be convincing take detail. A Padawan is not capable of that detail, however it is done

Pierce Tondry
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:06:00 AM
I'm inclined to think that you're underselling yourself a tad, although my viewpoint is peculiar.

I view illusions of any kind as a form of deceit- best accomplished with the Dark Side. As such, I had Hob learn them relatively easily once he had certain "precursor" powers. I would think that a Light Sider would have a much greater difficulty with illusions, but even so I think you're underselling yourself as a Master.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:52:32 AM
Manipulating light to the degree that Akrabbim is extremely difficult. Coventional illusions are nothing more than said deciet, mindtricks.

I suppose with a lot of practice that Morgan and Akrabbim could learn some of each other's skills, but it would take a lot of time.

Sanis Prent
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:55:26 AM
Arg...now he's explaining that he's already mastered that skill, as part of his "strider" technique, or whatever the hell that is.

Yarg, sorry if I'm a bit partial, but that irks me. I know how much effort Akrabbim's put into his stuff, and to see somebody pick it out of a cracker jack box is annoying.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:03:00 AM
Yeah, where? He's been here for what? 2 months?

No.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:26:28 PM
Well, now the question is, how on earth do I straighten him out without a straight up flame war?

BTW, as to my proclivity toward illusion, I'm going at it from this angle: First, Corran Horn (who is a Jedi) had strong illusion, but almost no telekinesis. It was a trade off. I'm the same way. Actually, I've traded off a bit more in favor of illusion, so my illusions are really really strong. Second, the planet I come from is dark and rather evil. I'm the one guy with a concience who made it out. Think Drizzt Do'Urden from R.A. Salvatore's books, if you've read 'em. And third, the reason I'm adding light manipulation at this point is that I'm calling it an extention of illusion. At this point, I can't do near the same level of illusion with light as I can normally. That's how I'm justifying all this. Does that sound reasonable?

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:43:26 PM
I'll send you a PM about Straffe, Akrabbim. I got an idea.

Gurney Devries
Nov 21st, 2002, 03:17:34 PM
Straffe watched the other man as he attempted his illusion. He was pretty good, better the Straffe.Um.... what the heck is he going on about? I was barely able to make a ghostly image, completely indiscernable. He made four duplicate images of himself out of thin air. :huh

The only reason Gurney was even slightly succesful at what he tried was because I figured Illusions might come a little easier for him than other aspects of the Force, which he's had very little success at.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:37:16 PM
I know... the guy's acting like a tard...

Hey, is there any way we can implement a tard filter? :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:39:37 PM
There is always the use of the ignore button. :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:18:29 PM
Lol that technique isnt supposed to be an illusion. Its simply supposed to use a speed so fast that it dispatches images of the person who's using the tech in the spots where he has been. Akrabbim, Ill talk to him dont worry.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:14:04 PM
Its simply supposed to use a speed so fast that it dispatches images of the person who's using the tech in the spots where he has been.

I could see this if speed was pretty much his exclusive force skill. But its not. Morgan couldn't do it, and speed is one of his stronger points.

And WTF is "Strider" training anyway, and who doles this out??

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:15:13 PM
Akrabbim:

I just wanted to mention that I thought that the fact that you are handling the situation as peacefully and maturely as possible says much of your character, friend. You are giving him every hint and oppurtunity without saying "Hey, knock it off punk! You aren't that good yet!" That is very commendable in itself.

I am only a padawan myself and I don't really know of any advice to give on how to handle the situation, but I just wanted to throw in my encouragement and sympathy of your situation.

:D

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:05:44 PM
I greatly appreciate that... nice sig, btw... that movie, though odd, was quite cool. :)

And I agree Morgan, that level of speed isn't physically possible. I mentioned that in the thread. Even if a Force user COULD move that fast, he'd definately be approaching the sound barrier, if not beyond it. He should be causing a continual sonic boom.

The human eye, if memory serves me, takes a sample 24 times a second. That means that if Straffe is going to appear to be in four places at once, and have the illusion be solid, he would have to traverse the, oh, 20 feet or so within 1/24th of a second. That's not counting the time that he would have to turn, and face his opponent, then resume movement. So, 20 * 24 = 480 feet/second, a rediculous speed. I don't believe it would be possible to draw breath at that speed without a breathing apparatus. Second, he would be EXTREMELY blurry from his clothes shifting around, etc. As well, moving in mid-air would not be possible, so whenever he jumped, the illusion would fail there. The friction of moving through the air at that speed is also not taken into account.

Look, I know this board is a fiction, and with things such as the Force, one can bend the laws of physics, yet they are still there. I just wish that when people would think up a move, they would realize the physical limitations of what could be done. Something like this is simply impossible, no matter how much Force involved.

What do yall think?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:24:44 PM
The eye continually samples - 24 frames per sec ony creates an illusion of movement. Someone moving fast enough to make it look like they are in mor ethatr one spot at a time is going a shitload faster than sonic.

Even if you are looking at somethign rotating at 100 times per sec, you can still clearly see it is moving, although it may seem to disappear, becaus ethe photons being reflected back to your eye are much less. Details will blur as well. No way could you create an illusion of more than one of you by speed alone. The human eye is too good to be tricked liek that - and I would add, acceleration and deacceleration would be immense. The body can cope with bursts of acceleration of up to 40 G for very, very minimal time, but to move that fast, in that amount of time, your likely to do a Wily E Coyote and leave your intestines behind. And no doubt, the heat of friction from movign that quick, you get a good healthy friction burn.

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:30:00 PM
Ak--

This sig courtesy of Marcus! :D

imported_Lance Stormrider
Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:51:59 PM
Oh man you peeps are insane @_@ just PM him I dont wanna be involved in this :mneh

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 22nd, 2002, 11:32:13 PM
No...we're Scientists!!!!

Basically, Straffe would not only be on fire, he'd also be leaving his intestines behind and probably being burned by his clothes as well. If he has a saber out, that too might either break or explode. I also doubt that Straffe could maintain a grip on anything at all at G-forces like that.

Chaos Alexander
Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:03:56 AM
I play Verse as a Menalist/Illusionist as well. He has mastered useing Light and Makin' Temporary copies of himself with illusuions, but....and this is a BIG ass but.......... I have had him working on both sence I have been playing him here. That is almost two years OOC time. The Light tricks comes naturaly for Verse. It is a family trait. Much like the Corron Horn thing.

Force-Wise.....Verse and Ak are alot alike. Both strong illusionist (Though Verse also is really strong in the Menalist field), and have a trade off for being strong in that area. Mine is lack of Seer ability. Verse can't see 2 seconds into the future. No winning the Lotto with him. I also play it so that after Verse is done with the copy, he is very drained. To the point of passing out. It is a last ditch effort with him. He has lots of Light tricks though. My clone is based off of a site that was posted at the old TSE board.

http://www.roleplayinggames.net/starwars/common_files/power_list.html

It is that Doppelganger Move. The Clone is only One-Half Verse's power and is Verse breaks his consentraion the clone is lost. It really can't be used in combat. Only for foolin' people.

Zeke
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:06:02 PM
While we're talking copies/illusions/invisible selves, is it possible to dematerialize, or become transparent so that things could go through you without hurting you? If it is possible, how much training would it take? How difficult would it be? I have an idea, but want some info before I decide if I wanna carry it through or not.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:13:12 PM
No.

Zeke
Nov 24th, 2002, 10:15:54 PM
Just checking. Thanks.

Taataani Meorrrei
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:43:07 PM
Actually...yes. But not to simply dematerialize. Mr. Dust has a technique that does something like that, but thats pretty much ALL he can do.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:01:23 AM
:lol...must be pretty useless, then...:D

Anyways, doesn't Magwit or whatever the hell his name is have those two hyperspace hoops that phases him around?

I think it cloaks him in a sheath of energy and then puts him through hyperspace to the other hoop...cool, huh?

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 25th, 2002, 06:57:52 AM
Not very useless at all, actually. Just remember the phrase I heard my Sifu use back when I took Kung Fu: "Do not fear the man who knows a thousand kicks. Fear the man who knows one kick and practices it a thousand times a day." Trust me... the technique more than has its uses. For example, dropping a silver coin inside a Lupine's chest. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 25th, 2002, 06:59:42 AM
:lol...evil Akrabbim...Evil...:D

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:06:33 PM
I keep on wanting to reply to this thead - how do you handle him? Boot to the head!

imported_Terran Starek
Nov 25th, 2002, 02:21:26 PM
hahahaha--Marcus! Dr. Demento. Hahahaha! :D

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:48:52 PM
Well, I wanted to hit him with a hammer. Course, that's mean. I mean, no self-respecting Jedi would EVER ruin a good hammer that way.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 26th, 2002, 05:41:59 AM
:lol...I bet his "strider" skills would stop it...

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 26th, 2002, 07:03:48 PM
You know, since he's moving so fast that he's in four places at once, I'm wondering if I could just stick my arm out between the images. Instant clothesline. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:14:48 AM
...he'd probably get decapitated...:lol

Oriadin
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:16:38 AM
His strider skill would enable his head to come off, go over your arm and then re-attach itself. Dont you know anything!? :lol

Alpha
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:24:14 AM
:lol

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 27th, 2002, 07:25:14 AM
...No, with his strider skills, his head would proably fly off, spit acid at you, dodge your force blasts, and THEN attach itself to the body that's going at 40g's...:lol

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 27th, 2002, 09:41:53 AM
I so need to start employing my "Akrabbim skills". These would involve me being able to do anything I dang well pleased to win a fight. :)

Shawn
Nov 27th, 2002, 12:07:17 PM
You mean, like, totally flip out and kill people? :)

Anbira Hicchoru
Nov 27th, 2002, 12:12:15 PM
Use your mind powers to make him commit seppukku with a greasy frisbee >D

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 27th, 2002, 06:21:08 PM
Hehehe... that would work... or, I could do the ultimate mind killer...

50 FOOT TALL ILLUSION OF MARGARET THATCHER ON A COLD DAY!

Muh ha ha ha! Feel my wrath. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 28th, 2002, 09:46:22 PM
...Hara-Kiri!

Morgan Evanar
Nov 29th, 2002, 12:33:34 AM
Margret Thatcher, nude. Then you could be arressed for mass manslaughter!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 29th, 2002, 01:06:36 AM
Even Something Awful would reject pictures of that

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 29th, 2002, 01:34:09 AM
= The end of life as we know it.