PDA

View Full Version : You gotta read this..

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:42:10 PM
I got this off one of the NT messageboards. I have no idea where he got it from...or if he just plain wrote it, but it's hysterical.

I've said it before, if schools don't start controlling their debate team fans, somebody is gonna get hurt. Here you can read where my prophesy came true:

A Penn student was arrested for assaulting a Princeton University student who was staying in the Quadrangle for an on-campus debate tournament this weekend. The incident took place early Saturday morning.
According to Parliamentary Debate Team member Jeff Sandman, the assault may have been sparked by a scuffle that took place about a half hour before the assault. A group of 12 to 15 students visiting from Princeton were sleeping in a lounge in a Quad lounge when two Penn students entered the room, Sandman said. Sandman, a College freshman, was hosting some of the Princeton students.

"The Penn kids walked in and flicked the lights on and off and were being obnoxious," Sandman recalled. "The Princeton kids said, 'We're trying to sleep, leave us alone.' And they started going at each other."

After the two groups exchanged words, the Penn students left, but allegedly a group of four returned a half hour later, at about 4:15 a.m., with a can of motor oil. One of the students poured the oil on one of the Princeton students.

The Penn student "threw the oil all over the most vocal of the Princeton kids," Sandman said. "He was kicking the student and made him promise never to set foot on Penn's campus again."

The Penn student, who was allegedly smoking a cigarette, then threatened to throw the cigarette on the student and light the student on fire.

"He and his sleeping bag were covered in the motor oil," Sandman said.

At this point, Penn Police officers arrived on the scene and arrested the assailant.

University officials have confirmed this weekend's incident and the student's arrest, but would not release the student's name.

"There was an incident with a member of the Princeton debate team who was staying in the Quad, and police are still sorting out the details," Penn spokeswoman Lori Doyle said.

Police later confirmed that the liquid substance was motor oil.

The Princeton students were part of a group of approximately 150 students from different colleges and universities staying on campus this weekend for Penn's annual Parliamentary Debate Tournament, hosted by the Parliamentary Debate team. Members of Penn's debate team host the visiting students while they are participating in the tournament. Students were staying in many of the college houses this weekend.

Sandman said members of the debate team are disappointed by the actions of the assailant.

"On Sunday, almost every Penn debater was apologizing to the students from Princeton," Sandman said. "It is an utter embarrassment to us... that they can't come to [Penn's] campus without getting physically assaulted."

Sandman said the assailants were not associated with the Parliamentary Debate team, and it is unclear why they were in the Quad.

According to Sandman, some of the Princeton students, including the one who was assaulted, did not participate in the conference on Sunday, because of the events earlier that morning.

"A couple teams dropped out because they were emotionally drained," Sandman said.

Otherwise, he said, the conference went well.

Members of Princeton's debate team were unavailable for comment last night.

Jedieb
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:45:48 PM
Brawls involving members of a debate team?! What's next, college chess teams that assault each other by hurling game clocks at each other?:crack

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:47:48 PM
I know...it seems too ludicrous to be true. :lol

Admiral Lebron
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:47:53 PM
Thats horrible... why didn't the 15 or so Princeton kids gang up on the 2 penn kids?

Sanis Prent
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:52:16 PM
Probably because they're from Princeton, I'd say.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:54:42 PM
It's greatness...having debate kids do this kinda stuff. It's this week's sign the end of the world is coming. ;)

"Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together mass hysteria!"

samantha
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:54:46 PM
:lol

That reminds me of our model UN in high school....people only joined so they could go party at Kent State :\ I had a friend who had her stomach pumped while she was in it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:56:09 PM
:x

Sanis Prent
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:56:30 PM
I loved Model UN!!!

Its one of my favorite extracurriculars.

I remember representing Russia at one meeting. Mid-meeting, we had a coup, and let the communists regain control. We voted our own resolution down >D

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:58:46 PM

That's it, the whole world is being FEDexed to Hell in a handcart!

samantha
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:05:41 PM

I had other friends who dressed up like John Travolta a la Pulp Fiction for one debate. Wouldn't take off their sunglasses for the whole thing

Sanis Prent
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:26:12 PM
I was in a Soviet General's uniform...had it done nicely...with jack boots, jacket, bars, medals, officer's cap, etc. Wore the red very well >D

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:32:39 PM
Well it is Ivy league schools they take their debate team seriosuly :p I was in Model UN as well, one year we went as Saudi Arabia that was interesting, we didn't do anything to rash, though one of our group when they did roll call did a long religious reply, which was really funny.

Sanis Prent
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:19:25 PM
Hehe...we ended up threatening dissenters with nuclear reprisal...it was all so anti-PC :)

Morgan Evanar
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:40:04 PM
The Something Awful forums had a Model UN thread.

Much insanity ensued. Think "hentai tentacle rape machine" and "exploding penguins" and your on the right track. Also, silly hats.

James Prent
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:10:10 AM
:lol:lol Good grief!

JonathanLB
Nov 21st, 2002, 01:52:50 AM
WTF?!?! LOL. That's messed up.

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:10:50 AM
Well Carr you're right..Ivy League people take debate seriously...but THIS seriously? ;)

Taylor Millard
Nov 21st, 2002, 09:16:52 AM
:lol :lol

Ivy League has to take something seriously.

I remember in govt. class we had to do a model once (and this is college btw, but not UNT...I(woulda gotten roasted for this there) where we were the US government and we had to develop a policy for all these imaginary nations.

IIRC I had 'Upper Strombolia' have a sudden 'regime change'. :D

The funny thing is...two years later when I took the class again (to raise the grade up) my prof remembered it was I who orchestrated the regime change. :lol

Hey community colleges have got to take something serious too. ;)

JediBoricua
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:27:15 AM
Well I was in model UN also and it got nasty sometimes. I remember being Pakistan on a comitee about Kashmir. The delegate from India started bashing my government, and I replied. We ended up face to face shouting at each other!

And the end of the day the delegate from the US won because she actually brought ideas, while we just bickered and insulted each other religion.

My brother is actually the president of the model, and the things you hear. Dark Corridor negotiations, bending the constitution to earn more points, it's horrible! Yet fun...very fun.

JMK
Nov 21st, 2002, 10:31:39 AM
Debate squad members fighting is like place kickers in football fightitng. If anyone cares, its just because they find it funny.

Jedieb
Nov 21st, 2002, 03:26:47 PM
Debate squad members fighting is like place kickers in football fightitng. If anyone cares, its just because they find it funny.

The last debate experience I had was just a few years ago. As part of a class on teaching gifted and talented students we had to debate our colleagues on various issues raised during the class. When it was my turn to do the counterpoint I decided to be a jagoff. I opened my response with "Paula, you ignorant fool!" My censored tribute to the old SNL Dan Ackroyd line (Jane, you ignorant slut!) I got a big laugh, threw my colleague completely off, and I easily won the debate. I felt kind of bad later on. The poor woman got really upset and was visibly unsettled for days afterward. At times I'd feel a bit guilty, but once the memories of the laughter came back I'd just laugh myself silly all over again.
:wings

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:15:56 PM
Evil Jedieb!

:lol:lol

Admiral Lebron
Nov 21st, 2002, 04:47:12 PM
MUN is icky. I hate the UN.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:52:42 PM
JediEB(s) you make me so proud sometimes:lol :lol

wow !!smart people doing big dumb jock things:huh Maybe one day I'll win a pultzer:cool

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:54:22 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Debate squad members fighting is like place kickers in football fightitng. If anyone cares, its just because they find it funny. That statement doesn't include PUNTERS does it??>D

JMK
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:30:38 PM
Depends on the punter. ;)

CMJ
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:34:30 PM
I saw a punter level a return man in a college game a few years ago. It was Kansas State vs somebody and the punter just decked him...like you see a safety annihilate a reciever coming across the middle.

Then the punter just stood over him almost in a taunt. It was greatness, the announcers flipped out(not to mention his teammates).

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 06:59:46 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Depends on the punter. ;)

When I punted for a semi team I got into a fight with one of our def. lineman. He did a late hit on me and it really pissed me off. I we started off shoving each other talking crap and I dotted his eye.he wound up on the ground. I started kicking the shi17 ot of him. Everytime he tried to get up I would do a elbow drop on his neck. I was not about to let that him get up, He was a BIG!!!! SOB!!!!!! I may be Buff, but I ain't totally stupid. He had to feel stupid for getting the bested by a punter.Granted I did not look like a punter at the time BUT nontheless I was a punter.He now play's for an arena team in ny/nj or did a couple years ago.I bet he never f'd with a kicker agian:angel

BUFFJEDI
Nov 21st, 2002, 07:00:45 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I saw a punter level a return man in a college game a few years ago. It was Kansas State vs somebody and the punter just decked him...like you see a safety annihilate a reciever coming across the middle.

Then the punter just stood over him almost in a taunt. It was greatness, the announcers flipped out(not to mention his teammates). Does my heart proud:) :)

Sanis Prent
Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:40:59 AM
Two words: Lane Bearden.

If men were made of 1/10th of the stuff he's made of, they could catch bullets in their teeth, chew them up, and spit buckshot back at people.

Tyreal Dalarsco
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:25:39 AM
I can't wait until Uni. Model UN sounds awsome.
My Mom's roomie at Mount Alyson had a second nipple on one breast, and she knew people when she was at various unis who were EXACTLY like people from Undergrads!
Except Cal was divided.
And GImpy was just nerdy, no comps or SW, because this was a long time ago.
And thanks Morgan, I forgot the name of Something Aweful for months and it's REALY been buggin me.