PDA

View Full Version : Warning for anyone thinking about mod chipping an X-Box

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 19th, 2002, 09:39:00 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/28180.html

The guts of the article is that MS will ban you from the X-Box live network if they find your connecting with a Mod chipped X-Box. Tio stop cheaters mainly.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 19th, 2002, 09:42:35 PM
I went to the whole Microsoft training thing on the X-Box Live stuff. It looked interesting, if I had any desire to own an X-Box...

But, it does seem to be a good network, so let's just hope that Sony watches carefully and makes their network even better.

Though $50 for a year's subscription isn't a bad price, considering it also comes with that headset thingy.

Nupraptor
Nov 19th, 2002, 09:46:43 PM
Mod Chips have nothing to do with cheating. They enable you to play imported and (potentially) illegal copies of games. Also, I imagine a mod chip could potentially remove the regional encoding for DVD playback on the X-Box. But I've never heard of a mod-chip that lets you cheat in games. The closest thing to that was the Action Replay, for the PSX. Which was a device similar to the Gameshark, not a modchip.

In regards to the X-Box Live! deal: I think it's a better approach than the one Sony's taking. Their flat rate grants you unlimited online play with every one of their games that support it. In Sony's case, you're going to be paying seperate fee for each and every game you want to play online with. That can add up real quick.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 19th, 2002, 09:55:34 PM
Hence the "I hope Sony watches and makes their network better" part.

Nupraptor
Nov 19th, 2002, 09:56:49 PM
I wasn't disagreeing, just elaborating. :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Nov 20th, 2002, 05:39:43 AM
Damn sony! X-box live rules, my friend gt it yesterday we played some moto game.....the only weird thing is that the dude wouldn't stop coughing! :x.......Disturbing

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 20th, 2002, 01:33:15 PM
Steel Battalion needs to be an Online Game... WITH THE 40 BUTTON CONTROLLER!!! It has a eject button!!! EJECT!!! If you die without ejecting, your game is ERASED!!!

Sejah Haversh
Nov 20th, 2002, 02:10:05 PM
It's $200 for that stupid controller!

They should have just kept it on the PC under its original name: Mechwarrior.

Ugh, I'm sorry, that is the biggest waste of a game I've ever seen.

Darth Viscera
Nov 21st, 2002, 01:51:37 AM
It's probably just a matter of time before a stealthier modchip is concocted, one that won't be detected by Xbox Live.

Nupraptor
Nov 21st, 2002, 02:14:32 AM
Well, the article mentioned a mod-chip which can be switched on and off, which might be able to circumvent their protection.