PDA

View Full Version : The Next New Thing?

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:26:42 AM
I was just talking to Charley on AIM, and we were talking about the trends of the movie industry. They tend to release very similar movies all around the same time. Remember the year of the volcano movies? Dantes Peak and Volcano! And then it was the End of the World by Meteor movies! Deep Impact and Armegeddon.

Then lets not forget "Altered Reality" movies, like Dark City, Matrix, and Thirteenth Floor. And Fantasy movies, Harry Potter and LotR...and now the influx of superhero movies, which isn't confined to just one summer, but seems to be spreading and taking over the entire movie world. Just as the Batman series seemed to have lost it touch, X-Men came out and revived the love of the superhero and the hate for the supervillian in us all. Now there is a rush of them: The Hulk, X-Men2, Daredevil, Spider-Man, and all the others that will 'spawn' (:lol) from them.

I guess the "super hero" movie will always be popular, and always has been, for a myriad of reasons.

Yet, what do you think will be the NEXT BIG CRAZE in MovieLand? I'm guessing that it's going to be another round of "coming of Age" movies, usually centered around a painful series of events in a loser's life, and then he/she loses the zits and becomes popular.

Or even better, dog movies! I want them to bring back Lassie and Benji! ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:29:13 AM
Also, I forgot to mention, that in the previously mentioned movies, one would not say that one movie copied or infringed on any of the others. It was a trend, and so different movies with the same ideas were made. Doesn't make them necessarily bad, or that only the FIRST one can be good, just because it was "original." Because, it wasn't original. There are no new ideas, just recycled ideas, and new spins on old ideas. It's how the spin is placed, and the skill of the actors and directors that will sell the tickets.

Oh, and a good marketing manager never hurts either.

Figrin D'an
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:41:31 AM
Although I haven't thought much about the next big trend could be, I hope it isn't a barage of fantasy films, trying to ride the wave created by Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings... the last thing I want to see is a slew of poorly made films that destroy any progress that the fantasy genre has made as a mainstream film form.

alas, it likely will happen though... :(

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 18th, 2002, 03:10:19 AM
Alas, I fear likewise Figrin.

Oriadin
Nov 18th, 2002, 04:01:38 AM
INO, a big reason for this trend is because movie studios are too afraid to try something new and different. They see one type of movie be successful and everyone tries to copy it. Its the same with TV shows too. Who wants to be a millionaire triggered off loads and loads of quiz shows until were sick of the sight of them. Reality shows after Big Brother, pop idol type programs. All we ever seem to get is the same sort of thing. People are too afraid to do something different these days.

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2002, 04:15:22 AM
Then lets not forget "Altered Reality" movies, like Dark City, Matrix, and Thirteenth Floor
And Blade

Superhero films have been growing though. You had Blade, then X-Men do great. Its a good market.

Or even better, dog movies! I want them to bring back Lassie and Benji!
And the littlest Hobo! :)

INO, a big reason for this trend is because movie studios are too afraid to try something new and different.
I disagree. Comics are a BIG untapped resource. Take next year. Hulk is VASTLY different to X-Men, which is VASTLY different to Daredevil. The year after we will get Blade 3 and Spiderman 2 continuing popular franchises, and then The Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider, AGAIN totally different to the others.

The only major connection I see is they all are people with powers, and they all are Marvel comics.

And are you telling me a story of a man who lost his sight at a young age but had his other senses enhanced to the extent that he spends his days fighting crime is unoriginal? :)

JMK
Nov 18th, 2002, 09:41:51 AM
the last thing I want to see is a slew of poorly made films that destroy any progress that the fantasy genre has made as a mainstream film form.

I think Dungeons and Dragons may have squashed any chance of that. Then again some courageous dolt may try to write something and put it on the screen.

War movies were also a big trend for awhile.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:40:16 PM
I think there will be more fantasy films, I know I read that they are turning the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe into a film, (that is part of C.S. Lewis 7 part epic fantasy story) there were rumors they were going to make the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan into movies/ miniseries. I am thinking they will try to make more fantasy films, not sure if many of them will be good. I think the Lewis stories could be very good if they are done right.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:42:36 PM
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe has been made into a movie before...I would be very interested to see it done again today, with all the FX available now.

And...the Wheel Of Time movies?! OMG talk about a LOOOOOOOOONG miniseries! It would take years with no breaks!

I think the main concern is that the movies will not be done correctly. We want more LotRish movies, and no D&Dish! :x

:)

Sanis Prent
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:20:38 PM
I don't know if war movies have really been a fad. They seem fairly constant throughout.

Sene Unty
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:44:53 PM
With what I have heard about the Fantastic Four, it will be vastly different than any other Superhero film and I say bring them on! I love these movies!

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 18th, 2002, 04:02:51 PM
Bring back the Western

ReaperFett
Nov 18th, 2002, 04:04:53 PM
I agree. War, Western, Superhero, Heroic Bloodshed. No more needed :)

JMK
Nov 18th, 2002, 05:22:51 PM
Some thoughtfully placed comedies never hurt either.

I really think war movies were a fad for the past few years. Granted there has always been a war-like movie, but recently there has been an increased emphasis on making realistic movies.
Saving Private Ryan
Thin Red Line
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
Enemy at the Gates
The Patriot
13 Days (Not all out war, but closely related events)
Hart's War
Windtalkers
Behind Enemy Lines (more of an action movie)
Tigerland
Pearl Harbor (Hey, it tried)
U-571 (again more of an action movie)

And that's just off the top of my head. Most of these movies have some sort of historical basis, and I doubt that there are that many genres that have this many movies in such a short span, except maybe the teen gross out movies, or teen horrors.

Sanis Prent
Nov 18th, 2002, 05:31:14 PM
There are simply too many war genre movies spread out over too many years to call it a "fad". Why stop there? Why not go into the 80's, and get Top Gun, Gallipoli, Platoon, Memphis Belle, and the Razor's Edge, and thats off the top of my head.

At best rounding, thats about 21 years to stretch out, and there are plenty of good war flicks prior to the "realism era".

Its not a fad...rather, its an increase in whats now allowed through special effects technology.

JMK
Nov 18th, 2002, 06:12:11 PM
Well just take what you just posted. Go back to Top Gun and Platoon. Both from the mid 80's. All of the movies I listed came out between 1997 and 2001 and I can't think of any new war movies that are in the works as of right now. There were movies like Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket which were after Platoon, but from about 1988 - 1997, what kind of historical war movies were there? Not that many. Dramatic ones like English Patient and Schindler's List, but not much else. There wasn't stopping anyone from making movies like SPR and We Were Soldiers in the 80's but they weren't done then.

imported_Jackson Mcgraves
Nov 18th, 2002, 06:14:52 PM
You guys are forgeting to mension one other Super hero movie that will be coming out in 2 or 3 years and that Iron man.

Also I didn't think D&D was to bad a movie for being low budget granted the ending bit major butt.

also I see more reality bassed movies coming out in the future like many more sequels to Jackass.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:02:45 PM
OH NO God SAVE US ALL! More Jackass!?

imported_Blade Ice
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:06:30 PM
I never said more jackass was a good thing I just think there going to make more of it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:12:35 PM
I'd never spend a dime on that tripe. I can't even stand it on MTV let alone on the big screen. >_< :x

JMK
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:28:48 PM
I agree. What a waste of time. :x

Morgan Evanar
Nov 18th, 2002, 10:23:22 PM
Most of these comic book movies have been in the wings for a long time. Same with the Fantasy movies. There just wasn't the technology to do it. 10 years ago, LOTR wasn't possible, nor X-Men or Spiderman.

CG really made all these newer movies work.

I really couldn't care less about Wheel of Time, but I think Raymond E. Fiest's Riftwar Series could be better than LOTR (flame suit = on). Tolkien got the ball rolling but his stuff is a bit dry, and Jackson pretty much added womanly involvement to the movie.

Riftwar already has the right elements. But it doesn't have Tolkien's following.

Oriadin
Nov 19th, 2002, 03:58:34 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
And Blade

Superhero films have been growing though. You had Blade, then X-Men do great. Its a good market.

And the littlest Hobo! :)

I disagree. Comics are a BIG untapped resource. Take next year. Hulk is VASTLY different to X-Men, which is VASTLY different to Daredevil. The year after we will get Blade 3 and Spiderman 2 continuing popular franchises, and then The Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider, AGAIN totally different to the others.

The only major connection I see is they all are people with powers, and they all are Marvel comics.

And are you telling me a story of a man who lost his sight at a young age but had his other senses enhanced to the extent that he spends his days fighting crime is unoriginal? :)

No, what im saying is that one super hero movie is made and then all of a sudden, 10 super hero movies are made. They all try to cash in on the same thing. Im not saying that the hero stories are the same but the idea of a super hero movie is. You said yourself, they are all from Marvel comics. Everyone just wants to cash in on other peoples ideas.

I dont think this is always a bad thing mind. After all, most of the Super Hero movies out so far I like and the rest that I know are comming out, Im looking forward to. I just get the feeling that things nowadays are over done until people are sick of it.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 19th, 2002, 07:22:27 AM
Yay for ignoring my post!

Sene Unty
Nov 19th, 2002, 12:59:03 PM
I have never read the Riftwar series, but more Fantasy movies sounds like a good thing so bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sanis Prent
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:02:32 PM
So Schindler's List wasn't historical? Alright thanks for the clarification. I was worried that the whole Holocaust thing was something that actually happened. Good to know its just a dramatic fiction, and not true, like Hart's War or Behind Enemy Lines.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:07:42 PM
I agree with Sene!

:)

Sene Unty
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:13:44 PM
Wait a minute Sanis.....is that sarcasm?????? :lol

And thanks for agreeing LD!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:14:58 PM
Well I was agreeing with your Riftwar comments, inspired by Morgan's post which he thinks was ignored. :D

*distances herself from the biting sarcasm* ^_^;

Jedieb
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:17:59 PM
I'm with Marcus, bring back the Western! How about some more black comedies? Something along the lines of War of the Roses.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:19:34 PM
For a minute I thought you meant black comedies, as in..well... people... >_<

But I understand now. :D

And Westerns, YES!

Morgan Evanar
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:20:43 PM
I was refering to Oradrin.

Most of these comic book movies have been in the wings for a long time. Same with the Fantasy movies. There just wasn't the technology to do it. 10 years ago, LOTR wasn't possible, nor X-Men or Spiderman.

No, what im saying is that one super hero movie is made and then all of a sudden, 10 super hero movies are made. They all try to cash in on the same thing. Im not saying that the hero stories are the same but the idea of a super hero movie is. You said yourself, they are all from Marvel comics. Everyone just wants to cash in on other peoples ideas.

Sanis Prent
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:20:57 PM
How about the black comedy / western?

By that, I mean a sequel to Blazing Saddles :D

Sene Unty
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:22:04 PM
I would love to see more Blazing Saddles.......hell anything from Mel Brooks would be fine with me! Where the hell has he gone anyway?????

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:23:00 PM
Noooooo...and not a western like City Slickers, either. A good old, OLD WEST Western! Bring back Roy Rogers, John Wayne, and all dem good 'uns!

Sene Unty
Nov 19th, 2002, 01:26:05 PM
Oh come on.....Blazing Saddles is a classic! :lol