PDA

View Full Version : A certain slant of light... (open if anyone wants to come in)

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:09:40 PM
[i]After a great deal of work and striving, Akrabbim is finally a Master. His gift of illusion has strengthed as his knowledge of the Force has grown, allowing him to do more and more powerful illusions. It seems, however, that his powers are beginning to manifest in a new way. He had been training several days ago on a warm-up exercise; he was creating a glowing ball and moving it around. The ball appeared, as he expected it to, but it appeared to be more than just illusion. A shimmer appeared, as if something was actually bending. After careful study, he realized the answer: the light itself was bending.

Needless to say, such a technique, though more taxing, would be quite useful. He seats himself on the ground and begins concentrating, willing the illusion to manifest itself in light, not in the minds of others. After several minutes, he succeeds in summoning a ball of light. It's not much, but it's a start. He dispels the ball and tries again, attempting to increase his proficiency...

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 18th, 2002, 08:54:45 AM
Straffe was wandering the academy when he had noticed a masked warrior summoning a ball of light. He stood at the door and watched as it twisted and turned. Wondering who he was and how he was doing that. He slowly entered the room and tried not to disturb the master. He took a chance to talk hoping not to interrupt his concentratrion

"Hello master Akrabbim...I was woundering if you would do me the houner of teching me that technique?"

Straffe bowed before him, hoping for him to teach him. Being the padawan to Lance Stormrider, he can only learn so much from his own master.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 18th, 2002, 09:47:20 PM
Akrabbim looks up at the young man and becons him to sit in front of him.

Well, you're more than welcome to train with me, but I'm not sure if I can teach you this or not. First, I'm not fully sure how I am even accomplishing it. I'm just learning it myself. Second, how are you with illusions? From what I can tell, this technique is closely linked with creating illusions. If you wish to try, though, just follow my lead and try to do what I'm doing.

Akrabbim begins concentrating once more, working up a more complex illusion. This time, he generates a small image of himself in perfect detail. It takes some fine tuning, but after several moments, he is able to create a replica.

He redoubles his efforts, making the illusion of himself larger, growing it until it reaches full size.

Gurney Devries
Nov 19th, 2002, 02:01:05 AM
Blink. Blink. Blink.

Yes, there was much blinking involved. Followed by the rubbing of eyes. Gurney had come to this wing of the Academy in search of the Jedi Master Akrabbim. He had succeeded. In fact, he'd found two of them. Hence the blinking.

"Um... Hello?", he ventured.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 19th, 2002, 08:07:33 AM
Straffe couldnt beleave what he was seeing. He thaught it was impossible to make illusions of him self. While watching the master, he had noticed another man walk into the room

"Hello...I am Straffe Stormrider. Who might you be?"

Before the man could answer he turned back towards the master

"I havnt really tried illusions but there is one that is like an illusion. It was part of my "Strider" skills"

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 19th, 2002, 06:46:27 PM
Akrabbim looks up at the newcomer, holding on to the mirror image of himself.

Down here, Mr. Devries. I'm just working on a technique... what can I help you with?

He turns to answer Straffe's question as well.

Well Straffe, as for you, I'd suggest working on a basic illusion, then working your way up. Best I can explain, I'm simply creating an illusion in midair instead of someone's mind. The light is just flowing to meet my request.

Akrabbim concentrates anew, attempting to make the illusion of light more mobile. He practices a few steps, then more complex movement. At first, the illusion flickers and fades during the more complex movements, but as time goes by, the movements come more fluidly, until they flow seamlessly.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 19th, 2002, 08:10:09 PM
Straffe wanted to be able to make immages of himself. He decided to show him what he was made of. Suddenly three more Straffe's appeard beside him. There were 4 images of himself all lined up. All four of them spoke in a echoy kind of voice

"So is this good enough?"

Gurney Devries
Nov 19th, 2002, 08:32:31 PM
The former combat instructor watched in amazement for a few moments as he watched Akrabbim and his padawan create images out of thing air before he dared to enter the room.

"I came in search of a one Jedi Master Akrabbim. Judging by the looks of things, I'd say I found him. I heard you were good with illusions, Master - and it's quite clear I heard right."

He let one hand drift up to his face, lightly brushing against his scar as he spent a moment in thought.

"I'm not very good with most other aspects of the Force. I thought... well, I thought maybe I could watch you, and try my hand at some different areas of controlling the Force."

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:07:58 PM
He motions to a free area next to Straffe. He waves his left hand, dispelling the Akrabbim illusion in a spray of light.

Well, you're welcome to join Mr. Stormrider here. He came out here just moments before you did, for roughly the same purpose.

He looks up and examines Straffe's illusion.

Not bad... but you're going to have trouble holding that strong of an illusion for long. But continue, you're doing well.

Akrabbim resumes his own training, concentrating on a new idea. He begins drawing in ambient light, compressing it into a tiny dot. He draws on the light for several moments, until he has a bright shining point of light between his hands. He then moves the dot about 10 feet away. He releases his hold in a small opening, to direct the light in one direction. A tiny beam of light burns a mark on the ground. With practice, this could become a much more formidible attack.

Gurney Devries
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:56:03 PM
The former combat instructor reflexively took a step backwards as the beam of light shot past him. Now there was something Gurney didn't know you could do with the Force.

"Um, exactly how does one begin. I mean, even with the stuff I wasn't good at, I at least could work out how to do it. Illusions seem a bit more... complicated."

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 20th, 2002, 04:40:50 PM
Well, they are, and they aren't. The trick is not to convince your enemy that something is there... the trick is to use your will to imagine it there. Basically, you make yourself sure that the illusion is really there. Reach out with the Force... see what you want to be there. Concentrate, and you may be able to do so. Go ahead, give it a try. And don't mind me... I'm still working on this technique. But I'm paying attention to what you're doing as well.

Akrabbim turns off in a safe direction, and attempts the light ball a second time. He draws in light, more and more, willing the light to come together as fast as he can. The ball gains strength more quickly this time, and compresses more light. When he can hold no more, he releases the light in one direction again, creating a makeshift laser. The beam fires in a safe direction, again making a hole in the dirt. This time, however, the hole is significantly larger.

He then sits to rest. Light illusions are much more taxing. He takes note of what the two padawans are doing.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 20th, 2002, 07:47:57 PM
Straffe walked around for abit but all of his illusions walked at the same time

"Youd be surprised but I can keep this form for a long time. It was part of my training"

He fliped around a bit and dashed back and forth

"I only use this technique to trick my enemy's. The trick that I want to learn more is that energy blast you just did. May you show me or do I have to learn something else?"

Straffe formed back into one and stood before the Light Master

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:08:08 PM
OOC: You may be overestimating yourself there a bit. My character only does illusions, and he couldn't pull off that trick until he was a knight. Adding sound to the illusions is even more taxing, and may be above the level of a Padawan. The light illusions I'm doing now are something that I've just picked up as a Master Illusionist. If I'm not mistaken, your character does not specialize, and therefore shouldn't have any special strengths in illusion. I don't think a character at that level would be able to use these kind of skills.

IC: I'm not sure if you'll be able to perform this technique. It took me quite a while to learn it. But like I said, you're welcome to try. All I'm doing is creating an illusion, and projecting it out. It just seems to work.

Gurney Devries
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:46:37 PM
Having never even attempted making an illusion before, Gurney knew that something like what Akrabbim was doing was well beyond his ability to even attempt - he wouldn't know where to begin. Still, in a strange way, his words made sense.

Gurney reached out his hand, twisting his fingers into a conical shape as he tried to focus his mind. He envisioned a sword, floating in the air, but nothing came about. But he was not so easily deterred. He kept trying, squinting his eyes and tightening the muscles in his arm with the effort. Finally, he saw a ghostly outline of something in the air, just a few feet away.

For a brief moment, the illusion became slightly clearer, and more defined - he could actually make out the general shape and size of it. Then it flickered, and disappeared. Gurney let out a huff as it did, strained from the effort.

"Wow," he commented. "That has to be one of my most successful attempts at doing anything with the Force."

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 21st, 2002, 12:21:18 AM
Akrabbim chuckles slightly at the man's comment.

Don't worry about it. You will get better, with practice. At least you have some aptitude with illusion. Continue practicing, you'll get it.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 21st, 2002, 08:12:03 AM
o.o.c: That illusion I used was part of my training and I have mastereed it. It is one of my Strider techniques. Even If I dont specialize in illusions, there is no harm in learning something new...

I.C: Straffe watched the other man as he attempted his illusion. He was pretty good, better the Straffe. Felling a bit out of place, he decided to sit back and watch the two...Hoping to pick up something

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:41:36 PM
OOC: I'm sorry, but a Padawan simply cannot master the amount of control needed to make 4 perfect replicas of himself AND make them speak. As for learning something new, bending light is not just a new trick... it's something you'd either have to specialize in from the get go or work your way up to it over a long time. Second, I'm kinda losing you here on what you're saying about Gurney. He barely made any illusion, yet you called that better than 4 perfect illusions? This isn't a criticism, I'm simply confused. What do you mean?

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 21st, 2002, 05:53:03 PM
O.O.C: :lol Well if you have ever heard of a Strider then you would know how I casn use that technique. Im not beding light but simply moving so fast that it looks like there are four of me. Thats why I said they all moved and spoke at the same time. Thats all they can do. It was part of my "Strider" training.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:57:44 PM
OOC: Somehow, I have the feeling that that completely violates every law of physics known to man, but ok, whatever. Let's just go on with the thread.

IC: Alright Straffe... your turn. Concentrate. Try to create an illusion.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:14:42 PM
Straffe stood still for a few moments. Concentrating on all his surroundings. Sweat started to form on his brow as there was a slight sign of his illusion. A small but slightly vissible ball floated in mid air for a few seconds then dissappeared. Straffe fell to the ground as he was so tired.

"I dont know how you do it but man...thats takes alot out of you"

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:38:49 PM
Well, I specialize. That, and I've been doing it for a while. It gets better with practice. Keep working at it, I'm sure you'll be able to perform them more easily in the future.

Gurney Devries
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:56:01 PM
Gurney felt too exerted, at the moment, to attempt another illusion. Maybe after he rested for a bit. He lifted the bottom of his cloak - the inside of which seemed to shift from black, to a dark red and back again - and sat cross-legged on the floor.

"Master Akrabbim, what is the best kind of illusion to use against a foe in combat? Or, what would be the best situation to use an illusion instead of fighting?"

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 24th, 2002, 06:04:53 PM
The best? That all depends. The simple answer is, "the one your oppenent won't expect." You'll have to think on your feet to figure that one out. Something small, though, is usually rather effective.

As for escape, anything to distract or confuse your opponent should work. Plain old Force Blindness is a good one.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 24th, 2002, 07:03:49 PM
Straffe was a bit puzzled

"What exactly is Force Blindness?"

Hearing of a new techinique, he just had to learn it

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 24th, 2002, 09:29:25 PM
It's one of the more basic manuvers. Basically, you just project a strong image of Light into your opponent's mind. Sorta overrides their sight.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:22:04 PM
"Would you mind teachingf me it?"

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:47:48 PM
I just did.

He chuckles lightly.

There's really not much to it at all. Simply reach out, and project light.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 28th, 2002, 08:09:36 AM
Straffe was amazed at how easy it was to learn a technique

"Do you mind showing me anymore techniques?"

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 29th, 2002, 02:34:42 PM
I would practice with that one, first. You know the basics of using it. You haven't mastered it yet.

Straffe Stormrider
Nov 29th, 2002, 09:01:42 PM
Straffe bowed towards the master. He helped Straffe learn another technique witch will come in handy soon.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 30th, 2002, 03:36:22 AM
I wouldn't try that technique out in a fight just yet. It's doubtful you'll be able to do much damage to anyone with any decent amount of mental resistance. Just a word of warning...

He turns back toward Gurney.

And you, sir, do you have any questions?