PDA

View Full Version : $28.8M estimated for 2nd Potter's first Friday

Dutchy
Nov 16th, 2002, 12:18:33 PM
That's pretty much what was expected, I think. Maybe a bit more.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 12:30:05 PM
I went to see it...liked it a lot more than the first one. Only in our showing the sound cut out for 7-10 minutes during the "turn an animal into a water goblet" scene and the scene directly afterwards. So, I missed the middle of the movie. :D Got comp. tickets for any other movie though.

Levi Argon
Nov 16th, 2002, 01:06:47 PM
:crack

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 01:32:43 PM
*grabs Levi and ties him down* DOWN, fanboy, DOWN! I'll feed you to the whomping willow! Or..well, not feed ...but you get the picture. :D

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 16th, 2002, 02:01:27 PM
(Relaxes and that with which he had been tied down loosens.)

De'Ville's Snare. :lol

(Feeds LD to Professor McGonagall.) :mneh

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:24:57 PM
Should make about 85 million for the weekend. I saw it today, I thought it was better than the first one as well, it had a stronger villain, IMO. It was also sad to see Harris in his final role :(

darth_mcbain
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:52:09 PM
I saw it today as well... I really enjoyed it and liked it better than the first (which I really liked too). I really needed to get out and relax a little, as I've been kind of freaking out with the hours I've had to put in at work, so it was unfortunate I couldn't enjoy it more. But it was really quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was sad to see Richard Harris - he was great as Dumbledore. The last I heard on the rumors that Christopher Lee would play Dumbledore was that he would not, and I have to say as awesome an actor as he is, I don't know if he's right for the role - he's a little too villianous to play Dumbledore...

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2002, 06:09:16 PM
The Current rumor is Peter O'Toole who actually looks like Harris, he could easily pull it off, will he do it, he is still acting and is only 70 so I think he would be a good choice.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 06:26:32 PM
I'm debating using my free ticket to see it again...or to see another movie. >_< Decisions decisions!

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:12:32 PM
Well I went to see HARRY POTTER.Once agian ONLY due to my Nephew NOTE: I saw it free I would NEVER waste hard earned money on crap.

BUFF's , Official review:

IT sucked HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! I will be sooooooo glad when this Harry Potter fad is GONE!!!!!!! I want the 1 hour and some odd minutes of my life back!! It really makes me Ill that I had to view this junk.I'm not a drinking man , But if I had a bottle of Mad dog I would have lost myself in the bottle. Pluto Nashh was AOTC compared to this .What we Uncle's go through for our kin:x Oh BTW: Casey hated it :) that's my boy:) :) :End of review.

Now what kind of review did you expect form someone called BUFF:rollin

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:17:38 PM
BTW: I'm In a -itchy mood please over look me(as usual;) )

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:33:29 PM
*scratches BUFF as he is itchy* ;)

And people say that male PMS does not exist. :rolleyes

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:51:36 PM
:lol
Ahhh!! that's the spot.

Oh, it's true men do PMS. It's my T.O.T.M right now. One minute I'm feeling happy next I'm sad and next I'm mad:huh . Oh wait that's bipolar:lol anyway. threads about Harry POTTER. I'm moving along.........................

Jinn Fizz
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:55:19 PM
Eh, Buff is just mad because there was no Bea Arthur in it. :p

I thought Chamber of Secrets was just WONDERFUL. I too thought it was better than the first one. It definitely didn't feel like it was 2 hours and 45 minutes long. I was worried about how all the little kids in the audience would sit still for a long movie like that on a Friday night, but they did really well and were enthralled with the movie from the first scene.

It really was sad to realize this was Richard Harris's performance, he was superb. Kenneth Branagh looked like he was having the time of his life, and Jason Isaacs was awesome as Lucius Malfoy.

Not a single moment of disappointment in this movie for me! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 08:32:39 PM
I totally agree...and yes Kenneth Branaugh was hilarious, seeing Harris was poignant, and Jason Isaacs was shiveringly evil.

HP and the Sorcerer's Stone - it felt long, and I remember looking at my watch. HP and the Chamber of Secrets - I was captivated the entire time. It just grabbed my attention and didn't let go. I really enjoyed it.

And isn't this one longer than the first one was?

Figrin D'an
Nov 16th, 2002, 09:09:25 PM
2 hrs. 45 mins? Geez, that's long for a kids movie. I'm definately waiting until after Thanksgiving to see it... I don't want sugar-addict brats climbing over seats and running through the isles when I see it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 16th, 2002, 09:30:42 PM
Actually, the only problem I had with my showing with the audience was the group of adults behind me kept talking. >_<

And, like I said, it really didn't feel that long. I felt every minute of the first one, but HP2 seemed a lot shorter than it was.

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:18:41 AM
TWO HOURS FOURTY FIVE? Im waiting for the DVD :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:39:33 AM
I'll prolly see it. Mainly for the Two Towers preview. :D ;)

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:41:19 AM
Woo, thatd get me flocking there ;)

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:47:13 AM
what if it had an Ep III preview?

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:50:07 AM
Then it'd be lying :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:51:40 AM
But if they weren't lying. If there was a preview for Ep III.

Or better yet...Daredevil. Would you then go?

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:53:22 AM
No, as it comes online about the same time :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:57:46 AM
Good point, but you don't get movie theater quality sound at home (unless you go to that theater LD went to)

okay back to Harry Potter...

YOu know the media's been split on this movie too. Washington Post said it was Dull...ABC gave it 4 Stars...

Interesting....hey did Williams do the music again?

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:13:09 AM
yes

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:11:45 AM
Overall the movie got good reviews over 70 % most said it was better than the first. Ebert is the only one I take issue with, he is calling it the best fantasy franchise ever, basically. I like both films but I think its a little early to go there.

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:22:11 AM
No way. to be the best fantasy fanchise IMO, you have to have finished.

jjwr
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:32:24 AM
I quite liked it, definetly better than the first one. As someone already stated it moves along quicker and the villian is much better with a more precise ending.

Best Fantasy Franchise, nah but it is a lot of fun.

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:37:17 AM
Best Fantasy Franchise? FFT!

What does Ebert know anyway? NOTHING!

imho atleast. :lol ;)

Master Yoghurt
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:42:23 AM
Harry Potter made 33.63 on saturday

Taylor Millard
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:47:43 AM
Well I'd rather have Harry Potter at the #1 spot than Titanic (disaster)

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:00:21 PM
Harry Potter made 87.69 this weekend (according to estimates) that is very good, it should come close to 300, I think it will still fall short, but I think now it will make somewhere between 275-300 which is awesome for a sequel.
Finally I want to comment on the villain that was a lot stronger this time because Professer Quirrell(sp) didn't have time to develop as a villain, we only figured out he was at the end. Lucius Mallory was evil the minute he was on the screen, Issacs was terrific there, one of his best acting jobs so far in his career, I am curious to see if he will come back in future Potter movies.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:29:52 PM
WHAT is Ebert smoking? Best Fanstasy franhice?

The guy is about the only mainstream critic who who would think that. Ahem, something called Lord of the Rings?

Nov 28 comes out here. And seems I get Mondays off, I'll catch it before the screaming brats have holidays. Sounds like I'll enjoy the movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 02:46:23 PM
Ebert and Roeper are in love with Harry Potter and seem to dislike LOTR and Ebert didn't like AOTC. I have no clue what is up with that. Sure, I thought HP COS was a fun, entertaining film but it wasn't the best film I have seen this year.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:13:51 PM
Ebert is a joke. First of all STARWARS is yet to go anywhere so it's still tops, Hello 306 million in the 5TH installment??(Or course I have NO faith what soever in the Box office gross tally. But aside from that if you were to crown a new Fantasy Franchise it would go to LOTR. Sure LOTR is crap BUT it's less crap than Harry Farter. (repeat) LOTR is a well made , beutiful movie and it has rhyme and reason (just to Dam6 dull).I would say LOTR will not loose it's flavor for atleast a decade, Harry Potter 5 years TOPS!!!!!!.Starwars LONGGGGGGGGG after most on this Board is dead and gone.And where do they get this 87 mil for potter already?? come on I know it's an Estimate but if they are anywhere close It just fuels my take on the box office tally being fake/fixed B.S.But that's just my opinion:D

JMK
Nov 17th, 2002, 06:13:33 PM
I don't know Buff, LOTR has been around longer than Star Wars and is more popular now than it ever was. I think it will from now on be mentioned in most movie circles with Star Wars as being the best fantasy movies of all time. Whether it should be there is a debate on its own.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 06:57:24 PM
Well I've already been to see it three times. It has a greater re-watchability than the first film and I'd like to see it do better at the box office however there wasn't half as much hype about this one which is a shame.

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 06:58:47 PM
IMO, itm has this problem. Last year was LOTR v HP, nothing more. This year, its HP, LOTR AND DAD all competing.

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:00:19 PM
I despised the first one, and I'll be damned to see the second one. Its like being cast into a Hell written by Charles Dickens.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:02:36 PM
Charles Dickens? How would that be bad? Could be worse could be Dante's version of Hell, ouch.

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:05:57 PM
Because I hate overly-happy british whimsy. Everything's so damnably jolly, I want to kick puppies.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:10:56 PM
(Shoots Sanis for the comment on "British whimsy".)

Find a new criticism...or is the fact of the matter actually that you cannot find one? :p

Alternatively, tell me more acurately what it is that you don't like about "Philosopher's Stone". Would you give reference to other Britishly-whimsical films so I have a better idea?

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:14:41 PM
A Christmas Carol was pretty whimsy.

I can't put my finger on it...but its just something I can't abide. I gave it a chance, and I couldn't enjoy it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:15:41 PM
I personally love British films. :) I think they tend to be a bit smarter than American (not ALWAYS true, but notice the use of the word "tend").

And Charley, remember yours is just an opinion. Plus, if you haven't seen it, how do you know its all jolly??

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:19:03 PM
Bah! Only Satan-spawn cannot possibly like the Harry Potter films, at least that's what I've concluded.

The thing you can't put your finger on is the fact that it doesn't contain exposed breasts or naive and talentless college boys trying to play football. :p

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:19:37 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I despised the first one, and I'll be damned to see the second one. Its like being cast into a Hell written by Charles Dickens.

What part of that was establishing my view as fact?

Edit: K, I'm outta here.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:20:21 PM
OMG !

*faints*

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:22:02 PM
What just happened? o_O

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:22:22 PM
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "whimsy." I know what "whimsical" means though, and I assumed by whimsy you meant something similar.

And Loki, its just his opinion and he's just as entitled to his as you are to your Fanboy status for HP. :D

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:23:42 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
And Loki, its just his opinion and he's just as entitled to his as you are to your Fanboy status for HP. :D

I know that and am quite content with it. I'm quite sure he isn't Satan-Spawn. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:24:21 PM
If tis all Jolly, explain why some have said the ending is actually WORSE for young kids than anything in LOTR.

Loki Ahmrah
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:25:25 PM
I wouldn't say that for the first but it's very possible for the second. My little sister is going to see it for the second time tomorrow with her school and is very nervous about it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:25:42 PM
I liked the Christmas Carol, oh well to each his own :)

JMK
Nov 17th, 2002, 07:38:55 PM
Was Snatch British-whimsy?:huh

JediBoricua
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:05:54 PM
JMK you robbed my words.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:13:55 PM
It was a very good adaption of the book. I generally don't enjoy kid's flicks, but this was well done.

I still wish they would use the Lux Atena TTT trailer. Its moving. DareDevil looks nifty.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:14:49 PM
;) But Charley adores Snatch.

Anyway, yes the ending is VERY... well... violent... And when the basilisk shot up out of the water!? I jumped three feet in the air. But I'm easily startled. I wouldn't reccommend it for under seven, maybe even older, depending on the kid. Of course, if seeing a book stabbed to death isn't high on your list of "things my child should never see" then it should be fine.

Although there is a lot of 'ink blood' and Tom Riddle comes apart pretty entirely....the basilisk doesn't have a lot of blood, and you only see the phoenix pecking its eyes out in shadow...still...its pretty intense.

jjwr
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:18:49 PM
It was a Baselisk :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:27:12 PM
I found out, thanks. SPOILER MAN!

BUFFJEDI
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:53:00 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I don't know Buff, LOTR has been around longer than Star Wars and is more popular now than it ever was. I think it will from now on be mentioned in most movie circles with Star Wars as being the best fantasy movies of all time. Whether it should be there is a debate on its own. Sorry bout that JMK, I meant to say popularity concerning the film, my bad :( The books will always be popular.(lotr books that is):D

imported_QuiGonJ
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:55:00 PM
Could someone please explain something to me?

What I have never got in this past year is the reincarnation of the Trek vs. Wars geekfests that seem to have to compare HP to LOTR. Each is good in its own right and successful based on the author's original award-winning works. So why the constant "LOTR will be even better if I trash [insert name here]" we keep seeing?

BUFFJEDI
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:09:57 PM
Human nature my friend:angel

Guess I'm lucky, I hate both.That's the thing ,I personally can respect LOTR for what it is, I don't like it But I can respect it. Harry Potter on the other hand:x :x I'll just leave it at that. And beside everyone knows Star Trek was fake!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:20:33 PM
I agree I wouldn't trash either one, sure I like LOTR better but I still thought both HP films were quite good and entertaining and I don't think its fair to really compare the two because the only thing they really have in common is magic.

Figrin D'an
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:39:26 PM
Originally posted by BUFFJEDI
Human nature my friend

Precisely.

A previous incarnation of this board was a battleground over 3 years ago when Episode I was on it's way, and people thought that it would be bigger than Titanic at the box office. Such is the same phenomenon.

Personally, I've enjoyed both. I've read each of the Harry Potter books and saw the first film (will likely see the new one in a couple weeks). They're entertaining, a fun story with a bit of morality play thrown in. I've read many of Tolkien's works multiple times, and have thoroughly enjoyed Peter Jackson's adaption of FOTR, eagerly looking forward to TTT. As a fan of Tolkien, I think he's one of the, if not THE, greatest fiction author of the 20th century.

I don't see much need to compare them, just as I never saw any need to compare TPM to Titanic, or Spider-Man to AOTC. But, some people will do so... if they want to spend their time on something that I would regard as pointless, such is their choice.

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:47:21 PM
I'm not comparing. I just plain don't like it.

imported_QuiGonJ
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:03:56 PM
Figs.. I was here for that mess, that's why I don't see the need to keep replaying it. Loungie.. you are free to like whatever you want, but I don't see the need to diss HP. ::shrug::

Sanis Prent
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:11:21 PM
The same need to gush over it, I suppose. No sense in comparing apples and oranges, so I'm going about it on a case-to-case basis

Dutchy
Nov 24th, 2002, 03:23:15 AM
$10.9M for its 2nd Friday. That seems awfully low, doesn't it?

Box Office Mojo projects it at $41.0M for the weekend nonetheless, though: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2002&wknd=47&p=.htm

ReaperFett
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:45:38 AM
$10.9M for its 2nd Friday. That seems awfully low, doesn't it?
It just cant hold up to competition.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 24th, 2002, 05:54:33 AM
It already was low throught the week, without competition.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 24th, 2002, 11:23:41 AM
Its the Frontend nature of sequels like AOTC which dropped heavy in its second weekend. I know believe that TTT will do the same thing if HP 2 and AOTC who most people said were better than the previous films can't hold its audiences than TTT, will do the same thing.

Darth23
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:16:54 AM
Last year, Harry's second weekend was Thanksgiving, and it dropped 36%. A 50% drop from 88 million isn't too surprising. Next weeks' drop will probably be pretty much better.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:33:12 AM
Harry Potter 1 made 34 million on it's first weekdays. HP II made 21 million less. It's a mile behind the progress of the first one - 30 million behind at least and the gap is growing right now

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/harrypotter/ - No1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=harrypotter2.htm - No2

Have a look, HP 2 is well down since the opening weekend.

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 01:45:41 AM
I liked the first movie a good deal... bought it on DVD. The second one was good, but not particularly amazing. I think TCOS might have been a better book than TPS, as it seemed a little "smarter", but it didn't seem nearly as magical or alluring. Still, it was decent and fans of the books should love it.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but that I set my expectations a little too high: I heard it was better than the first film, and went into the theater expecting that.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2002, 12:30:33 PM
I liked the second one a lot better actually, the first was too slow at times this one went a lot faster and I liked the ending better the snake fight was a lot better than that dumb professor disengrating, plus Issacs played a much better villain he was pure evil in the film and that alone made it better. I also liked the humor Ron and Kenneth Braughan were both great.
Also Darth makes a good point the second weekend for Hp2 came on a holiday weekend I think that did make a difference I bet it would have dropped more on a non holiday weekend. I expect it to better next weekend with Thanksgiving. There isn't really any competition. Treasure Planet looks blah. Every preview I saw of it all the kids in the audience looked bored, I think it will perform much like Disney's Atlantis did a few years ago. Finally about Hp 2 it should easily clear 250, I'd say it will make around 275 which is pretty good, probably make between 750-850 WW, it is actually performing much like AOTC which dropped heavily in its following weekend, and I remember people here were just as surprised. And now I think we shouldn't be. Really its the way sequels are they all do a little worst especially for a film that makes more than 250, most people rush out the first weekend and then it drops heavily in the second. I expect TTT to perform very similarly, I bet it makes around 290 at the most now.

imported_QuiGonJ
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:24:43 PM
And folks think the third weekend will be an upswing because of the holiday.... I know I think so.

And Marcus, I'll ask you directly, how does trashing HP make LOTR better? They both are good adaptations of good writing.

Darth23
Nov 25th, 2002, 04:39:37 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
Harry Potter 1 made 34 million on it's first weekdays. HP II made 21 million less. It's a mile behind the progress of the first one - 30 million behind at least and the gap is growing right now

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/harrypotter/ - No1

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=harrypotter2.htm - No2

Have a look, HP 2 is well down since the opening weekend.

That's because HP1's first full week was Thanksgiving.

The best conparison to make would be after 3 weeks. HP2 will probably be down, but the gap will narrow a bit.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:13:32 PM
And Marcus, I'll ask you directly, how does trashing HP make LOTR better? They both are good adaptations of good writing.

Excuse me? WTF? Where am I bashing Potter, might I ask? FYI, I have always said I liked the first moive and I am definantly looking forward to seeing the next, plus owner of the full book series.

If you think pointing out HP2's grosses are down from the same period as last year is trashing.... you are very much mistaken. It's pointing out a Box office trend that is of note.

Nupraptor
Nov 25th, 2002, 05:33:40 PM
JMC: I have to agree with your spoiler parts. That's why I said that TCOS felt a little "smarter" than the first film. It made you think a little more, and the ending made much more sense.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 25th, 2002, 10:35:38 PM
Oh okay I guess I misenterpreted that part:p I think I am going to have to read book 3 I don't think I can wait two years to find out what happens next.