PDA

View Full Version : Stan Lee sues Marvel

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:54:13 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/834279.asp

This is bizarre.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:12:55 PM
I dont know enough to have a strong opinion, but isnt it strange this happened AFTER SPiderman made so much.

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:13:20 PM
I hope he wins. It sounds like Marvel is trying to screw him over on a technicality.
Marvel has reported millions of dollars in earnings from the film but has told Lee the company has seen no “profits” as defined by their contract.That is so lame.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:22:29 PM
I hope he wins, that sucks. And I hope he reads this and sends me some money too for supporting him. :D

JMK
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:23:06 PM
Uhhh...Mr Lee, we don't know how to tell you this, but we don't have profits from the movie. Yes it made over 400 mill in the U.S. alone but it cost us $139 million to make Stan. Then we had to pay out like maybe 50 mill for marketing and stuff of that nature. That brings us to just under 200 million for everything. Did I say 200 million? I meant 6 billion. See? My friend Bud Selig says that if you just tell people that you don't have profits, you don't have to pay them.

Sincerely,
Marvel Entertainment Group

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:26:18 PM
One thing JMK. It didnt cost Marvel anything to make, nor did they make 400 in the US. That is SONY. Do we know if Marvel got a cut?

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:30:53 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Do we know if Marvel got a cut?
Marvel has reported millions of dollars in earnings from the film

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:31:47 PM
millions? So, 10% might be thousands.

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:34:34 PM
Millions could be anything from 2 Million to the full 400 million (obviously not that much, but it's possible... they're purposefully being vague). Let's say that Marvel got 10% of that - they made 40 million off of it. Then, if Stan Lee got 10% of that, they owe him 4 million dollars. Even if it's only a few thousand, he's hasn't seen a dime... that's just not right.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:42:51 PM
Thats why I dont believe the reports. They all seem biased on the "Poor old Stan Lee being shafted by evil Marvel" line, but dont ever go into anything specific.

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:51:58 PM
Probably because Marvel doesn't want to reveal exactly how much they've made. =P

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:57:16 PM
Its vague from all ends though, thats the problem :)

And besides, the man gets a million a year :)

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:03:05 PM
Before or after taxes? If it's before, at least half of that he'll never see.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:03:57 PM
I dont know. I just knows he makes shedloads, and his salary is a million :)

JMK
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:13:10 PM
It's a matter of principle. :p

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:16:34 PM
Of principle not after case #1, but #2, when it made 400m ;)

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:26:53 PM
"Oh no, he's already made lots of money. What does he need more for?"

He earned it. It's his character that's being plastered across every movie poster, cereal box, movie spin-off and action figure.

JMK
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:27:22 PM
Well you can't squeeze water from a stone.

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:28:27 PM
... unless you're Moses! :p

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:28:34 PM
Not just his characters though.

Jedieb
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:35:54 PM
This all goes back to studio accounting methods. I have no doubt that Stan Lee is due some serious money here. Those are his characters, and much of that story on the screen was HIS origin story. But that's besides the point. This has happened before. Remember Batman? The first Batman made a colossal amount of money. If you adjusted it for inflation it would come out to close to over $350M I think. Jack Nicholson had a sweet contract that gave him more than $50M. Yet two of the producers sued Warner Brothers because the studio claimed they had lost money on the movie and there was nothing to give them.

Studios do this all the time. They rake in millions, then say they've lost money. By the time this is all over Lee will probably settle out of court and get a big fat paycheck.

Saul Mordeth
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:38:23 PM
Well reap being the comic fan geek that I am. I know for a fact that they have been rippin stan raw. the billion dollar company is based almost solely on stan lee, Jack Kirby, and steve Ditko's work. Like Nup said he created them they where his idea. Also I've read about one injustice after another perputrated against Stan Lee through out the years. Almost all of those complaints came from other's not the man himself. I for one am glad he is standing up for himself. This company has been given him the shaft for years. I can't count the times I read where they cheated him and he grinned and beared it. I have only one last thing to say for him. I hope he kicks there butt for trying to cheat him again.

Since then there have been many other talented people that have produced excellent work. This is not a slam against them just the management who has been trying to keep Stan from receiveing his due.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:49:24 PM
Saul, I colelct Marvel now, dont act like Im no comic geek ;)

oh, and thanks for giving me the other name. Knew Dikto, forgot Kirby :)

Its the timing that bugs me though. After X-Men, he should have noticed this. But he waits until it means that this case could seriously hurt THREE of the Marvel movies. I refuse to believe he didnt notice this as a problem until after Spiderman.

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:57:24 PM
Perhaps there wasn't a problem with the FIRST X'Men, and now he's worried that they'll try to shaft him with the next movies due out based on his characters, now that they've done so with Spider-Man?

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:25:47 PM
Poor Stan. I hope he gets his money. He deserves it.

Saul Mordeth
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:29:00 PM
33 yr old comic geek, beat that.

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:30:22 PM
Why would I want to?

JMK
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:10:53 PM
:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:49:41 PM
Still the question it depends on how the deal Marvel has with the studios, I doubt they get most of the profits, I would think 10 % so that would mean Lee would only be entitled to 10 % of what ever Marvel got, which I guess wouldn't be a lot. Unless he wants money from the merchandise which I am sure Marvel is getting most of that money, that is a different situation.

Darth Viscera
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:52:58 AM
He's definitely entitled to a fair share, whatever that may be. Imagine if J.R.R. Tolkien were still alive, 110 years old (Tolkien died at about the same age as Lee is now remember), and asked for a percentage of the FOTR film profits. The scene from Oliver Twist where the serving man shouts out, "More?! You want more?!" comes to mind. Would Tolkien be refused in such a way? A thousand times, no!

Lord knows Lee has spent decades conjuring up these highly successful comics, and actually creating Marvel. The stories of The Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Uncanny X-Men, etc. are all his creations. I hope he gets his due.

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:41:46 AM
33 yr old comic geek, beat that.
*rolls up Newspaper*

*THWAP!*
*THWAP!*
*THWAP!*
*THWAP!*

;)

Darth23
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:30:51 AM
Marvel issued a statement saying Lee “continues to be well-compensated” for his contributions to the industry. It said the company is “in full compliance with, and current on all payments due under, terms of Mr. Lee’s employment agreement.”

TRANSLATION: We gave him the standard Screw em Over Contract and now we're screwing him over.

Darth23
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:34:49 AM
Record companies and Movie studios are NOTORIOUS for ripping off people by cooking the books to makew it look like there aren't
any profits.

I'm not sure who Marvel is owned by now, but it doesn't surprise me that they'd be doing the same thing.

jjwr
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:52:15 AM
It may not have been a issue with X-Men, that was testing the waters with the new Comic Movies and seeing if one that was done seriously(not like the last few Batmans) could be successfull and it was. The amount was much smaller so it probably wasn't as big of a deal to set aside a chunk for Lee.

But then comes along spiderman, everyone knew it would be big but nowhere near that big. Maybe they just don't wanna fork over that large of a chunk. I'm curious if he's entitled to a portion of DVD/Video sales too. Heck the Special Boxed set features a special DVD with a interview of the guy!

JMK
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:51:20 AM
From the sounds of it Lee isn't asking for tens of millions of dollars. He's maybe asking for a few, so why cook the books just to screw Stan Lee?

Vampyre Dalamar
Nov 19th, 2002, 07:38:48 PM
Well a million dollars thats why. A million is still a million o_O