PDA

View Full Version : Differences in the DVD and theatrical release

Jedieb
Nov 13th, 2002, 10:05:44 AM
I'm not even going to pretend that I could spot them all, but there were a few obvious ones I spotted. The first being the much needed fix to Anakin's nightmare. Now instead of it looking like he's being molested by his mother, he's just having a nightmare. Then there was the couple of lines of dialogue that were tacked on to the scene in which Anakin confesses his Tusken slaughter. Nice addition I thought. Then at the end you have the extended shot of his mechanical hand. Very symbolic I thought and a great addition.

Deleted Scenes
I thought the deleted scenes had some of Portman's best scenes in the entire prequels! It's really a shame they were cut. They were great character scenes that really fleshed her out. Her lines weren't as formal and stilted as some of the others she's given. It almost seemed as if most of the dialogue in the deleted scenes had a tempo to them that was lacking from the completed films. I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining things. Another favorite of mine was the extended scene with Mace and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin. I thought the effects in the scene were great! I was really surprised by how much FX work got left on the cutting room floor.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:43:39 AM
You missed the big one :)

Jango's Jetpack was sparking. In the original, he tried to turn it on, and it failed. Now, its sparking in the scenes before, to help the people who wondered why he didnt fly off :)

And with the cut scenes, I wonder how close they were to using them. Maybe that nearly made it?

Sanis Prent
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:47:53 AM
Not sure what you were referring to, Fett...cause I remember Fett's jetpack sparking in theatrical release.

Jedieb
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:49:00 AM
I never wondered why he didn't fly off. Never noticed the sparks either. Not exactly a big one there. ;)

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 11:59:15 AM
Sanis, Lucas says in the commentary he added it. Im right :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:22:38 PM
Another one that I noticed is when Padme falls out of the Gunship, before she gets up she acts like she is pain, that makes more sense than in the movie. Also I am not sure if it is true, but a few people I know tell me when in the ship when Padme makes Anakin go after Obi-Wan, there is a different camera angle when zoomed into her, I think they realized that the White suit made something a little too revealing ;)

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:38:56 PM
Yeah, she now says "uh huh" instead of "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh, YES!" ;)

Jedieb
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:42:24 PM
sparks:zzz :zzz

I also could have sworn that there was something different about Qui-Gon's scream. Also, when Anakin chopped that last Tusken before the scream it seemed as if they held the shot a bit longer. Actually, I'm probably just remembering the quick cut that was used in all the promos.

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:27:30 PM
Sanis, Lucas says in the commentary he added it. Im rightGeorge Lucas is smoking some of the good stuff - the sparks are clearly visible:

http://216.73.105.30/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=425204

It also sparked right after the creature rolled him around on the ground, and sparked one more time before Mace started running towards him.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:31:31 PM
Yes, right, Lucas is lying :|

And all the reports where they added sparks? Must be lies to, eh?

Not including the Jetpack final ignition, we get sparks at least three times

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:38:07 PM
I just listed three times. The picture I posted is from the theatrical version, not the DVD. Lucas probably meant that they added it at the last minute for the theatrical version. But the sparks were there - the evidence is there for you to see for yourself.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:45:36 PM
Well, you actually got one I didnt :)

four. One shot shows a double spark, at the start and end of scene.

Out of intrest, is your thing youre getting pictures from the Digital cut?

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:52:26 PM
I added a couple of shots that you'll see in the DVD and the digital version, but not in the real version which is that when the Reek stampedes over Jango it wrecks his rocket pack. So there's little sparks in here and everything. I've added more sparks in....

...I did those yesterday, for Gods sake

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:00:45 PM
I'm not sure whether it was the digital or analog version. But I do recall seeing those sparks when I saw it in theaters (and no, I didn't see it at on a digital projector). Sounds like he just tossed in some more sparks, to make it even more obvious.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:02:34 PM
Well a fair few DIDNT recall seeing them, as it was a quite common topic on TF.N. Who knows :)

Nupraptor
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:04:08 PM
It's possible that some reels had them, and some others didn't. In TPM, some theaters had a slightly different reel of the movie where Maul didn't split in half at the end.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:05:37 PM
Maybe.

Im a bit dissapointed they didnt add things TPM style though.

Sanis Prent
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:06:15 PM
I think we're questioning this all wrong. The guy is wearing a big backpack full of circuitry and ROCKET FUEL. This crap is sparking like somebody's crappy 50 cent July 4th celebration. Why is he not exploding? I've taken Action Movies 101, and I know like everyone else that when bad guys break machines with internal combustion, and there's a spark...they explode.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:08:03 PM
Because he made his Jetpack well :)

Mu Satach
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:18:19 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I've taken Action Movies 101, and I know like everyone else that when bad guys break machines with internal combustion, and there's a spark...they explode.

:lol

Darth Viscera
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:52:22 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Well, you actually got one I didnt :)

four. One shot shows a double spark, at the start and end of scene.

Out of intrest, is your thing youre getting pictures from the Digital cut?

It's a picture from an analog theatrical screening that took place on 5/21/02. It's bonafide. 3 people have confirmed that.

JonathanLB
Nov 13th, 2002, 06:54:33 PM
Sorry, I must respond to one thing, I hope nobody minds:

"Jango's Jetpack was sparking. In the original, he tried to turn it on, and it failed. Now, its sparking in the scenes before, to help the people who wondered why he didnt fly off"

I don't care what Lucas says, the sparks were always there. Now he may have added even more, I don't know, I didn't see the DVD film yet as I said (I have seen it so much in theaters I felt no particular rush to watch it all and I've been at class). I saw it 54 times, so I do remember. I've not even watched my DVD yet, but if you ARE referring to the scene in the arena, then the sparks were always there in the theatrical release. I mean, these are things one notices in 54 viewings of a movie in theaters, including IMAX and digital formats, along with standard 35mm. I'm not trying to contradict you or anything and I am just a lurker now, but I had to mention this.

JMK
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:11:52 PM
I seem to remember them in the original release too, because one of the things that someone mentioned in their review of the IMAX release was how detailed the sparks from Jango's pack now looked. So I know they were in the IMAX release and I'm led to believe that they were in the original release also.

Jedieb
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:48:10 PM
I never thought there was any doubt that the Reek had trashed his Jetpack. I never even paid attention to the sparks. Has anyone noticed anything else besides what we've listed so far?

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 07:50:58 PM
Some have said that there's MISSING bits, but I dont notice this.

Was there a scene where the Clone Trooper transports fired missiles at a few of the AA Confed vehicles? I dont remember that one.

Admiral Lebron
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:54:19 PM
When the troopers are loading the transports, the right most group, fifth guy from the left is out of step. :)

Oriadin
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:13:43 AM
I only noticed Anakins added dialogue about him killing the Raiders, which I thought was much better.

Fett, where on the DVD does Lucas say he added those sparks? Or did you not say it was on the DVD? Ach, who knows.

ReaperFett
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:26:25 AM
Audio Commentary

Oriadin
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:52:19 AM
Ah ha. Cheers. Ive still got to check that out.