PDA

View Full Version : What sports are all about

JMK
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:01:23 PM
I don't know if anyone heard about this, but in a high school football game recently, Jake Porter, a mentally challenged student who generally takes part in practice but is the defacto waterboy got an opportunity to be in the game itself. Late in the 4th quarter with one of the teams up 42-0, the coaches agreed that they would give the mentally challenged Jake a play in which he would receive the snap and take a knee. Instead, since the game was so far out of reach they not only gave Jake a play, the arranged so that the defense would give him a hole and he took it 49 yds for a touchdown. The two teams went nuts, the fans were crying, it was quite the moment. The sports world needs more people like these 2 coaches.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:20:49 PM
I heard about that story on ESPN radio last week (Mike & Mike). It was truly amazing. I saw that they had video of it on last night's Sportscenter, but I missed it. Truly amazing stuff. The coaches and players are to be applauded.

CMJ
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:27:25 PM
I saw a blurb on it on "Outside the Lines" yesterday, including the video.

jjwr
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:05:42 PM
I caught the video for it on Sportscenter this morning. Great stuff. Very classy of the other teams coach to allow him to get the touchdown, some coaches with a big lead and a shut-out going would be snots about it and want the big win but this guy knew that it was bigger than the game, losing the shutout was nothing compared to what scoring this touchdown will do for Jake Porter.

Sanis Prent
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:07:21 PM
<a href=http://www.herald-dispatch.com/jakeporter/PorterTouchdown.mpg>here you go</a>

Jinn Fizz
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:37:54 PM
Wow, I hadn't seen this thread until tonight...what a beautiful story...thanks for pointing it out, JMK, and thanks, Charley, for the link to the video. :)