PDA

View Full Version : The History of Veterans Day

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:15:44 AM
To all who are serving I have no other wish than that you return safely home to your loved ones.
To those who have served I hope you are at peace with yourself and the world.
Serve not with vanity but a sense of purpose.
Seek not glory but honor.
If you have returned from service remember that others have not. You bear their sacrifices and memories somewhere deep inside you. Never forget them.

HISTORY OF VETERANS DAY

Official recognition of the end of the first modern global conflict -- World War I - - was made in a concurrent resolution (44 Stat. 1982) enacted by Congress on June 4, 1926, with these words:

WHEREAS the 11th of November 1918, marked the cessation of the most destructive, sanguinary, and far reaching war in human annals and the resumption by the people of the United States of peaceful relations with other nations, which we hope may never again be severed, and WHEREAS it is fitting that the recurring anniversary of this date should be commemorated with thanksgiving and prayer and exercises designed to perpetuate peace through good will and mutual understanding between
nations; and WHEREAS the legislatures of twenty-seven of our States have already declared November 11 to be a legal holiday: Therefore be it Resolved by the Senate (the House of Representatives concurring), That the President of the United States is requested to issue a proclamation calling upon the officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government
buildings on November 11 and inviting the people of the United States to observe the day in schools and churches, or other suitable places, with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.

An Act (52 Stat. 351; 5 U. S. Code, Sec. 87a) approved May 13, 1938, and the 11th of November in each year a legal holiday - - a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as "Armistice Day. "

Armistice Day was primarily a day set aside to honor veterans of World War I, but in 1954, after World War II had required the greatest mobilization of soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen in the Nation's history; after American forces had fought aggression in Korea, the 83rd Congress, at the urging of the veterans service organizations, amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting in lieu thereof the word "Veterans. " With the approval of this legislation (Public Law 380) on June 1, 1954, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

Later that same year, on October 8th, President Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the first "Veterans Day Proclamation " which stated:
"In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this
anniversary, all veterans, all veterans' organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to join hands in the common purpose. Toward this end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans' Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance. I am also requesting the heads of all departments and agencies of the Executive branch of the Government to assist the National Committee in every way possible."

A letter from the President to the Honorable Harvey V. Higley, Administrator of Veterans' Affairs, was sent on the same date designating him to serve as Chairman. In 1958, the White House advised the VA's General Counsel that there was no need for another letter of appointment for each new Administrator, as the original proclamation in 1954 established the Committee with the Administrator of Veterans' Affairs as Chairman.

The Uniforms Holiday Bill (Public Law 90-363 (82 Stat. 250)) was signed on June 28, 1968, and was intended to insure three-day weekends for Federal employees by celebrating four national holidays on Mondays- - Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Columbus Day. It was thought that these extended weekends would encourage travel, recreational and cultural activities and stimulate greater industrial and commercial production. Many states did not agree with this decision and continued to celebrate the holidays on their original dates. The first Veterans Day under the new law was observed with much confusion on October 25, 1971.

It was quite apparent that the commemoration of this day was a matter of historic and patriotic significance to a great number of our citizens, and so on September 20th, 1975, President Gerald R. Ford signed Public Law 94-97 (89 Stat. 479), which returned the annual observance of Veterans Day to its original date of November 11, beginning in 1978. This action supported the express will of the overwhelming majority of the State legislatures, all major service organizations and the American people.

The restoration of the observance of Veterans Day to November 11 not only preserves the historical significance of the date, but helps focus attention on the important purpose of Veterans Day: a celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

CMJ
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:47:04 AM
I think I'm gonna watch a war movie today and reflect...

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:51:09 AM
Black Hawk Down is one of the best ones I've seen in recent years.

JMK
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:20:47 AM
Yeah, what an intense movie. We Were Soldiers is another I rather enjoyed.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:24:58 PM
We Were Soliders was very good, but so was Black Hawk Down.

Zeke
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:36:33 PM
M'dad's across the Atlantic fightin' the war against terrorism...just got done emailin' him a happy Veteran's Day. Don't know where he is, or what he's up to, but I hope he's safe over there.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:18:09 PM
I wish you and your family a happy Veterans Day Zeke. Keep the faith, he'll be back home, safe and sound, before you know it.

Zeke
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:20:31 PM
Thanks. Wish I could call my grandpa, but I can't afford the long distance bill. He served too, actually, all of my grandparents have some form of military history.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:22:08 PM
You've got a proud family tradition there. Are they going to be sending you mail across an ocean one day?

Zeke
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:25:49 PM
Heh, I'm not real sure. But we'll see what the future holds. Say, while I'm thinking about it, any one here served in the military? If so, a Happy Veteran's day to the lot o' ya! :D

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:54:03 PM
Thanks Zeke! :D

Just make sure it's your decision to serve. Your family probably doesn't want you to go through what they've gone through. It's a noble decision, but a tough one. Just make sure it's what you want. Good luck!

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:24:15 PM
Thank God for everyone who is in our (US) military, and around the world as well. Makes me feel safer.

Jedieb
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:58:29 AM
Now more than ever, keep your head on a swivel and watch your back. Get home safe. :angel

Charley
Nov 11th, 2003, 09:27:32 AM
Billy Joel - Goodnight Saigon

We met as soul mates
On Parris Island
We left as inmates
From an asylum
And we were sharp
As sharp as knives
And we were so gung ho
To lay down our lives

We came in spastic
Like tameless horses
We left in plastic
As numbered corpses
And we learned fast
To travel light
Our arms were heavy
But our bellies were tight

We had no home front
We had no soft soap
They sent us Playboy
They gave us Bob Hope
We dug in deep
And shot on sight
And prayed to Jesus Christ
With all of our might

We had no cameras
To shoot the landscape
We passed the hash pipe
And played our Doors tapes
And it was dark
So dark at night
And we held on to each other
Like brother to brother
We promised our mothers we'd write
And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together

Remember Charlie
Remember Baker
They left their childhood
On every acre
And who was wrong?
And who was right?
It didn't matter in the thick of the fight

We held the day
In the palm
Of our hand
They ruled the night
And the night
Seemed to last as long as six weeks
On Parris Island

We held the coastline
They held the highlands
And they were sharp
As sharp as knives
They heard the hum of our motors
They counted the rotors
And waited for us to arrive
And we would all go down together
We said we'd all go down together
Yes we would all go down together

God bless the men and women who have served in the need of their country. Whether or not they agree with the cause they fought for, today is a day to honor their service, and the sacrifice of those who have fallen. Of all the many heroes I look up to, the veterans of our armed forces are among the most revered to me.

I posted this song, because this song above all, shows the great lengths in which our veterans are willing to sacrifice for our prosperity. There is no glorification of war, but only the solemn understanding that these men and women have paid in ways so severe and beyond the scope of comprehension, it should be criminal to not honor them for this.

God bless our Veterans.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 11th, 2003, 10:35:32 AM
Originally posted by Agent Charley
God bless the men and women who have served in the need of their country. Whether or not they agree with the cause they fought for, today is a day to honor their service, and the sacrifice of those who have fallen. Of all the many heroes I look up to, the veterans of our armed forces are among the most revered to me.

I posted this song, because this song above all, shows the great lengths in which our veterans are willing to sacrifice for our prosperity. There is no glorification of war, but only the solemn understanding that these men and women have paid in ways so severe and beyond the scope of comprehension, it should be criminal to not honor them for this.

God bless our Veterans.

You want great truth? This is it. Right here.

God bless the soldiers, God bless the veterans.

Ardath Bey
Nov 11th, 2003, 12:59:29 PM
That was an enriching quote jedieb. My thoughts and prayers go to the courageous soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan while those brave souls that served since the birth of the nation are remembered, celebrated, and mourned. Freedom was not negotiable. God bless them.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 11th, 2003, 05:30:51 PM
I wish my grandpa was still alive so I could pass on all of these comments, as well as my own thanks. He was a very private man about his service, and didn't like to talk about war at all. He fought in WW2 and got shot through the leg and through the midsection, but told the nurses to go to hell when they said he might not walk again. Ever and always the marine... :)