PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Movie Question... OF DOOM

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:21:42 AM
Ok, I have been troubled by this for a while.

In Indiana Jones, The Last Crusade, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, we both See Indy come to his spiritual side and come to believe in the Power Of God. But then, In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, he becomes a heratic and at the end starts chanting all this stuff to Shiva. Now, why would this happen? I think it is impossible to have 2 entire beliefs in you that strong. AHHHHHH! I going crazy!!! Someone! Explain this to me before my head explodes!!!

EPISODE II, DVD, TUESDAY!!! WHOO-HOOOOOOO!

Admiral Lebron
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:07:59 AM
The Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders of the Last Ark and The Last Crusade is the last.

Pilot Akito
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:41:35 AM
Meanwhile somewhere out in the desert....

Lillian Snow
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:22:33 AM
Akito! What are we doing in the desert, Akito? AKITO!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:22:35 PM
The answer is: Nobody cares about The Temple of Doom.

Really, if you had your choce of which ones to watch, it would probably be Thr Last Crusade, then Raiders of the Lost Ark, and finally The Temple of Doom if you really had to.

The mine cart scene is the only really really good one, the rest of the movie was over-actioned and under-acted. It was an okay movie, but, I don't put it in the same leauge with the other two.

That, and they were 'magic stones' so he tried to use the appropriate magic. Hope I'm thinking of the same scene, because I haven't seen the movie in a year.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:29:28 PM
I own the Trilogy

But the Mine-Cart, they went of chasms with liquid hot magma, deep gorges, pits so deep, you can't see the bottom. And some how, one Water Towered sized object manages to spill enough water down the mines to blast wood through a wall at the end.

Also, in theory, it is spose to be a prequel, but they where in China, with Short-Stops parents having been killed in the bombing, you know, when Japan Bombed China. Meaning, the war had to be over. Yet, in the other two movies, Germany was not yet at war with the U.S.

Crazy...

Pilot Akito
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:32:07 PM
*Cracks the Wip..*

Sanis Prent
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:40:49 PM
The Japanese agression in manchuria started many years before American involvement in WW2.

Admiral Lebron
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:27:05 PM
Manchuria happened in like 1931 I think. Maybe '33.

Leeloo Mina
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:26:57 PM
I haven't seen those movies in a long time.. I should rent them again.

Judas Escariot
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:57:23 PM
Which movies?

Vampyre Dalamar
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:18:51 PM
I have a better question. Some one told me that Obi wan meant something in Latin. Since I'm not sure Im not going to repeat it. But in the Temple of Doon when Indy is falling from a high building in the begining look in the back ground you will see the name ObiWan on a building. Thought you Movie Geeks would like to know. No I am not a movie geek. Looks around real quick.o_O Whistles.........

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:40:43 AM
I don't like the name Movie Geek, it insults me... I would like:

Critic and Watcher of Films Now and Then Geek

Sejah Haversh
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:54:20 AM
Well, I don't know what Obi would mean in Latin, but it means belt in Japanese. And wan means bowl. So, he's Belt-Bowl Kenobi.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:01:05 AM
Bowl belting = damaging the Dalton = driving a porclein bus

Leeloo Mina
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:11:19 AM
What does Kenobi mean? :p

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:47:01 AM
Ken (Ken Doll) Obi (Belt)

Belt to Ken...

Didn't Lucas think up Chewie by looking at his dog?

Mistress Tatiana
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:34:37 PM
Some one told me that Obi wan meant something in Latin. Since I'm not sure Im not going to repeat it. But in the Temple of Doon when Indy is falling from a high building in the begining look in the back ground you will see the name ObiWan on a building.

No, it doesn't mean anything in Latin. And the name Obi Wan is the name of a club in the movie. You see it as they're driving in the streets of Shang hi... (however that's spelled).

The name Obi Wan can also be seen inside the line for the Indiana Jones right at Disneyland in Cali. It's written on a box, and it says "Deliver To Club Obi Wan." :)

And personally, if I had the choice of which movie to watch, I'd pick "The Temple Of Doom". It's my fav! :) I love "The Last Crusade" too. It's a toss up between the two. But Temple of Doom was sooo funny. I crack up through the entire thing. I love how the girl is always screaming. :lol

As for the chanting part... yeah, it's a little weird. And so is the magic rocks and stuff, but it's no different from when they opened the ark in the first one and all these evil spirits popped out and destroyed the people, or when in Last Crusade the old dude was like the keeper of the grail and the place fell apart because it passed a certain mark. I mean, all the movies had some element of superstition in them and such. But they're just movies. Great movies at that. :)

"I hate water! I hate getting wet! And I hate YOU!" :lol What quote is that from? :D

Inu
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:38:03 PM
Originally posted by Leeloo Mina
What does Kenobi mean? :p

Well if 'obi" is Japanese for belt like Sejah said, and "ken" means fist, then it means "fist belt"...but only if its Japanese.

Kirrto McKavity
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:39:10 PM
Belt Bowl Fist-belt?

umm......

and yeah, i think i heard Obi means belt, or sash or something.

Rasputin
Nov 14th, 2002, 01:54:53 PM
Ken DOES NOT MEAN "FIST"

It means First!

*has got to stop watching old Digimon*

and Obi is the sash/belt worn with a kimono, to keep it from flapping around and you flashing everyone!

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:01:49 PM
Why would Indy's actions in Raiders or TLC contradict his actions in Temple of Doom? Just because some aspect of a religion was true doesn't preclude all others. Plus, the chants did end up working didn't they? So as the story goes, he was right on both counts.

Jax Ivanrue Tondry
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:33:03 PM
Doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom, doom!

:smokin

I'm too young to watch the movies. Dad says, when I turn four I can. :cry

Tyreal Dalarsco
Nov 16th, 2002, 10:46:09 PM
The final scene in The Last Crusade had me nto sleeping for a week when I saw it when I was little.