PDA

View Full Version : FOTR SE outselling AotC

JMK
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:56:16 PM
At TF.N:
If you check Amazon.com's DVD section for current "top sellers," you'll note that the FOTR "Extended Edition" is actually outselling the "Star Wars Episode II" DVD... and has been doing so for about a week now. This, unless I'm utterly mistaken, is an unprecedented amount of business for a second-release DVD.. especially considering that new "Star Wars" releases are usually predicted as the best-sellers of their respective years.

Not that Amazon.com means a whole lot, but that says alot for a movie that has already been released and is coming out in a longer more costly format.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:59:58 PM
All that is true, but It will not last long.LOTR se will sell good(why?") but it will tapper off.And like you said it is Amazon.com:cool

Admiral Lebron
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:25:53 PM
Thats just the pre-orders. All the nerds (the only people who buy it) are pre-orderers. AOTC will crush it when it hits the shelves.

Nupraptor
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:58:42 PM
My first reaction when I saw this thread was "When the frell did these two come out? :eek"

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:59:36 PM
Ahem, I'm going to tell you that it's not just nerds that will buy the extended edition. All LOTR fans and casual buyers now know the second edition was / is coming and a lot of people somehow held out. Or planned to buy both. I bet that very, very few who got the first edition will settle for just that, especially now that the word about the SE is that it is debateably the best DVD to date.

http://www.theonering.net/movie/scrapbook/large/5081

It's being noticed and remarked on elsewhere. What if it's not just Amazon? What if other online places are ntoicing the same thing?

You all thought Spiderman would eventually be beaten by AOTC... well, WE were all wrong by a huge margin. What if we are seeing the beginnings of another cold shock to SW Fans? Oh, I think AOTC will beat the SE, but it will not be crushing. It's going to be by a smaller margin that you think.

I'd also add the big box set of LOTR is now outselling Spiderman accordign to Amazon and is No.3

BUFFJEDI
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:33:14 PM
I'd also add the big box set of LOTR is now outselling Spiderman accordign to Amazon and is No.3

I could live with that:)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:58:42 PM
I don't think casual movie goers will buy it because it is longer, cost more, etc. The only people who will buy it are fans and that is about it, regular people will glance at it and walk on. Those pre orders don't really tell us much since most people don't buy them from Amazon. I think SW will do very well because of the Christmas as I have said countless times people will be picking up it and Spiderman as Christmas presents so both will do very well.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:08:46 PM
The only people who will buy it are fans and that is about it

That comment I hear a lot... but I'm not so sure about that anymore. Added anyway LOTR has a fast increasing fanbase to work from... there are a hell of a lot of fans and it aint stopping.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:41:57 PM
Sure its growing but fans themselves won't be enough to overtake Spiderman or AOTC which should be 1 and 2 for the holidays, at least in the US.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:53:56 PM
And what will the difference be between AOTC and the SE of LOTR? Who's interested? Fans? Casual buyers? Collectors? Define exactly who would be interested?

I'm sorry JMC, but but that does not make sense what you said. It's fans who will drive the sales mainly. Who else is going to get DVD's of certain movies?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:33:25 AM
Well for SW Parents will buy it for their kids (either the Tape or the DVD will depend on the household) I really think that will be the main difference, I guess I wasn't clear there. Also there are casual fans of SW and LOTR, I think Casual fans of LOTR probably just bought the first version while casual fans of SW will only have the choice of the version coming out on Tuesday. So there will be a difference there.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 9th, 2002, 02:32:51 AM
My mom bought the 4:3 format LOTR. She said, oh, we'll just buy SE when it comes out. My mom is also a farscape junkie =]

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:51:22 AM
All LOTR fans and casual buyers now know the second edition was / is coming and a lot of people somehow held out
No they dont. Most people I know offline who know of this DVD know due to me.

And remember this. LOTR will be limited, EP2 wont. If you were going to but both, but could only buy one at the time, which would you get?

Tell you something, my dad will love this. When he saw it originally, he said it was too long, and way too drawn out in some scenes. I have to show him this one :)

(And as an aside, Ive never seen a 3hr film with such bad scene shifting. There they are, on the Mountain "To the Dwarf Kingdom Robin!" *cue Batman scene change music, Bat zooms in and out of screen, showing the nine at the Dwarf Kingdom* :))

Figrin D'an
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:12:23 AM
Why not just wait and see the first day/week of sales for these DVDs. I mean, honestly, this is like a bunch of kids saying "My dad can beat up your dad."

(And as an aside, Ive never seen a 3hr film with such bad scene shifting. There they are, on the Mountain "To the Dwarf Kingdom Robin!" *cue Batman scene change music, Bat zooms in and out of screen, showing the nine at the Dwarf Kingdom* :))

How is that so different from the wipes that GL has used in the Star Wars films?

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:17:08 AM
Because generally, they either have a scene inbetween, or is a small cut, like talking to Yoda to Yodas hut. This was far more extreme and noticable for me. Had they just slipped in another Sauroman scene, it would have been fine.

jjwr
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:06:37 PM
I think quite a few people were wiating for the Special Edition DVD, I know quite a few I know were. Why by the regular when the SE comes out in a few months. Can't imagine it would last though.

Nupraptor
Nov 9th, 2002, 04:26:42 PM
jjwr: Peter Jackson said that he favored the theatrical cut of the movie, as he felt it had better pacing. The SE release is just supposed to be for the hardcore fans. Some people may like the shorter version better. Also, the SE DVD does not have the extras that were present on the first release.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:15:20 PM
I want the SE version of course I might end up agree with Jackson the new scenes could easily drag the movie out that is the main problem with adding 30 minutes to any movie, it might not flow as well.

ReaperFett
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:45:04 PM
Yeah, scenes are cut for a reason.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:49:29 PM
I think I would rather see them all on a second disk like they are doing for AOTC that to me is more interesting, but hey that is my opinion.

Darth Viscera
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:12:32 AM
I've been holding out when it comes to FOTR on buying & watching the SE edition, to the extent that I still haven't watched the original on DVD, and I've had access to this movie for ages.

While I'm on the subject of FOTR SE, I've heard a rumor that tacked onto the end credits are 20 minutes of "fan credits", whatever that means. Now, I'm not much good at Calculus and my square roots and whatnot, but it seems to me that 208 - 20 = 188, take away the length of the original credits and the extended edition will be only about 12 minutes longer than the original. I hope that this is just an ugly rumor. If it's not, then Mr. Jackson will be getting a rather hostile No. 11 surgical blade in the genitals for having made me wait patiently for 10.5 months for only 40% of the extra footage I was promised.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:46:08 AM
the extra credits ARE NOT part of the extra 30 minutes of footage

JMK
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:38:45 AM
What's the point of these "fan credits"?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:26:08 PM
To be honest, I have no idea.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:42:48 PM
God, if only to be working in New Line's marketing department. Talk about pimping a whole lotta suckers with cash. Honestly...anything with such a rabid fan base is ripe for a good squeeze.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:44:29 PM
And Star Wars fans are any better??!?!?!?

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:57:03 PM
Did I say they were?

ReaperFett
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:51:41 PM
Our AMazon has EP2 top btw :)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:51:10 PM
FOTR:EE still top.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 12th, 2002, 09:45:14 PM
The stores seem to be selling SW about 5 to 1 over LOTR EE maybe more, I am not sure. I went to buy AOTC and LOTR EE wasn't even out anywhere in the store, could have been the slow Walmart people though. It shows right there though that AOTC will beat because the stores aren't even pushing it.

JMK
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:19:32 PM
My Walmart had roughly equal amounts of each out on the floor ready at 9 this morning.

BUFFJEDI
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:37:16 PM
If the carnage I witnessed this morning at 12 midnight and 10 tonight , It ain't even close now. 1 kmart soldout of AOTC /LOTR 1 maybe 2 gone.

walmart 1: 3rd case of AOTC half empty/Lotr FULL
walmart 2: second case maybe 5 left./ LOTR 1 gone from stack
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Figrin D'an
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:53:39 PM
I expect the sales of FOTR:SE to be pretty high around Christmas, with TTT hit theatres on Dec. 18th. AOTC will do well too.

On a related topic, the deleted scenes with Padme's family and her bedroom should have been in the film. Yeah, it would have made the film longer, but it would have made her character much less emotionally wooden. Those scenes were very well done.

JMK
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:56:52 PM
I agree 100% about that scene Figrin. If any of the 8 scenes needed to be there, it's that one. I hope it is included in future releases. Throughout the film I not once got the impression that Padme was falling for Anakin, even in his confession scene, I just got the sense that she was feeling compassion and sorrow for him, not that she was secretly falling for him.

ReaperFett
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:12:51 AM
Ive barely seen the EE around

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:30:07 PM
Well AOTC beat out LOTR EE though it didn't sell as many units as Spiderman it still did pretty good selling 25 % of the units shipped better than any major movie this year, here is the report

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021114/film_nm/clones_1

They said that Spiderman has slowed so AOTC could catch up if it sells pretty good in the following weeks, the next big DVD is Ice Age the 26th and then the only thing left is the Back to the Future Triology in December. I was right about LOTR EE they only shipped 1 million copies so it seems like won't do no where near AOTC.

Jedieb
Nov 14th, 2002, 02:06:12 PM
Part of the reason for strong sales of "Clones" is steep discounting by retailers, said Mike Dunn, executive VP of sales and marketing at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Not surprisingly, about 75% of the copies shipped and being purchased are on DVD.

Ain't that the truth! Not only was TRU selling AOTC for only $10, but many retailers were beating that. A WalMart in my area actually sold copies for only $8!

JMK
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:26:09 PM
Oh my God! That is sick! Maybe Fox is looking to beat Spider Man at something this year....

BUFFJEDI
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:21:52 PM
Although that doesn't top the 7 million units claimed by Columbia for "Spider-Man" or the 5 million claimed by Disney for "Monsters, Inc.," Fox said "Clones" is selling a higher percentage (more than 25%) of the units that were shipped to retailers than any title this year. Keep in mind folks there has been NO!!!! proof Spider-man sold 7 million units, that's only what Sony/columbia and company are saying NOone else.Of course we all know they have never been known to lie;) .And of course the numbers for Monster's Inc have been yet verified either(go to box office mojo and you will see MI's numbers do not add up.

Conspiracy? maybe not , bunch of hogwash?? you bet ya:)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:12:29 PM
No, there no proof of DVD sales pretty much full stop. I take with a grain of salt all figures published esp first week sales.

The levelof discounting on AOTC DVD's tho... tha's not normal, right? That's pretty extreme for a new offering.

Gurney Devries
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:22:31 PM
I don't even see old, unpopular DVDs that cheap.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:50:02 PM
Well I think the stores are doing it because its been a bad year retail wise and they are trying to find ways to get people in their Stores. Really Toys R US started this (because they are the point of bankrupcy and figure maybe people will buy toys why they are there). Walmart and others have a policy of matching prices (if you have the add) so they have no choice, still other stores Best Buy, Target, etc probably wouldn't match it.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 15th, 2002, 05:18:24 AM
But this is a brand new DVD. This is nuts.

I would say that someone is prepared to cut profits to get the AOTC DVD to beat Spiderman.

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2002, 07:08:16 AM
I dont see any different from that or how when I buy Spiderman, I get a free mug and comic.

Jedieb
Nov 15th, 2002, 08:55:57 AM
Like Carr said, I think stores are using this as a way to bring in customers. I ran into a couple of people at TRU who came in just because of the $10 ad. That's what the store wants, people in the shop and browsing their product. That's why you get so many toy exclusives. TRU wants you to come in for the anniversary landspeeder. While you're there they hope you pick up a few other things.

TRU comes out a winner here because they sold out of their initial order. My local Target is now stuck with a lot of product because they refused to price match, despite selling the DVD for only $15. For the most part, retailers are setting these prices, not Fox. So I don't think there's a big, "We gotta be #1!" push going on by them.

Sanis Prent
Nov 15th, 2002, 12:39:54 PM
this has nothing to do with fox trying to one-up spiderman. There is a range of prices that these stores can sell at, once they buy their product in bulk from a wholesaler. Wal Mart does not run their company on profit maximization, but instead runs on a sales approach. Their profit margin isn't very impressive, but they have a high degree of asset turnover. They are an effective business, not an efficient one...but with the strategy they operate on, they don't need to be. That's why they can floor the price down. Toys R Us, however, has little choice other than to drop those prices. They are desperate for market share that is shrinking rapidly.

Jedieb
Nov 15th, 2002, 01:57:05 PM
WalMart has really taken a bite out of TRU's market share over the last 10 years. The internet hasn't helped any either. Although TRU has turned over their online business to Amazon. The last news I heard on TRU was that they were closing several stores. That was quite some time ago though. I had no idea things were still going bad for them. The economy certainly isn't helping any.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 15th, 2002, 04:45:52 PM
TRU nearly closed the store near me, so I know what you are talking about. TRU isn't only doing this with Star Wars they got deals on Bikes, games, etc. They are hoping to get people in thinking they will buy more and it is working, I went into the one near me and it was packed. The Star Wars DVD was gone, and the VHS was not far behind, I went ahead and picked up one for my nephew (he doesn't have a DVD). Now the real question with Walmart and KMart matching how will this affect AOTC in terms of sales? I think it could make it the #1 title of the year and Fox and Lucasfilm had nothing to do with it. Sure Target and Best Buy and some other more local places maybe not be matching and stuck (I think they are still selling some of them, Target was missing some when I went in there) but because Walmart, TRU and K-Mart are so huge and will sell out the majority of the DVDs that could make AOTC #1 at least for year.

JediBoricua
Nov 16th, 2002, 10:06:36 AM
Down here TRU had them at 10, so K-mart and Wal-Mart had them at 10 also. Then again, only one store still had it (Spec's, they were selling at 22) and not for long. Border's ran out of them on Tuesday at $18, Suncoast ran out in pre-order. It has been having huge sales here.

JMK
Nov 16th, 2002, 05:30:37 PM
I was at a Future Shop today (Circuit City equivalent) to pick up Pearl Jam's new cd and I saw 5 people walking around with FotR EE and 0 with AotC. Weird. :huh

BUFFJEDI
Nov 16th, 2002, 07:16:16 PM
Well people's taste's are like this>somehave it, some don't!!:\

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:25:38 PM
That's 5 people I would say with very good taste :p

ReaperFett
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:27:02 PM
Why, were they returning it? ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:31:12 PM
Yeah, thy wanted the five disk version