PDA

View Full Version : For those about to rock......why would you?

Nemesis
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:11:54 PM
I don't know what types of music everyone on the forums is in to, but as for me I'm a HUGE rock fan. I'm also a bit unhappy with the current trend. Scratch that, I'm pretty ticked off about it.

Where I live there are three rock stations on the radio. Now though this sounds like a good situation for a die hard fan to be in, that is sadly not the case. You see, two of the three stations have begun playing rap music along with their regular line up. We already have close to five rap stations on the air as is. Even this wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't play them so often, but as it stands now I can't tune in either station without hearing Eminem, Jurassic 5, or N.E.R.D. every other song.

AAAHHHHHH! :verymad It's driving me insane.

What really gets my blood boiling is the fact that both stations have a hotline you can call to voice your opinion. The calls are recorded, then played on the air. Without fail, no less than 3 people call in every night to ask, beg, plead, and demand they stop playing rap. Yet, the rap goes on every day and night with no end in sight. I'm beginning to believe that rock (true rock) is being forced off the map!

Well.....now that I've vented feel free to weigh in on the issue.

imported_Grev Drasen
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:28:13 PM
Well, the rare occasions I do listen to the radio it stays on classic rock stations. So I don't really have that problem... I don't even think my city has a rap station, it's really all country, which I can tolerate if it's old country like Hank, Charlie Daniels, and Willie Nelson. New country is terrible.

Back to the topic, rap for me is alright. I'm not really into the 'commercial' hip-hop that they more than likely play on the radio, about the jewelry, cars, and girls. All of which I can't really relate to. Eminem is about the only rapper I listen to that could be categorized as pop or commercial. I think a lot of people get a bad impression of hip-hop music because of the garbage they play on MTV and BET. Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Eyedea, Cannibal Ox, all great rappers with real skill, and uplifting songs too. You'd be surprised about rap if you really dug deep into the music and avoided the commercial crap they're sending off about rap music.

Zeke
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:31:07 PM
We have 96.7 the BUZZ...one rap every hour or so, Mandatory Marley at 4:10 (since rock is heavy on anger and such, they play it to make us mellow out :)) It's actually not that bad here. But I understand how you feel. I hate listening to my rock and sudenly have rap out of nowhere. I usually just tune out for 5 minutes and go back to the radio.

ReaperFett
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:35:12 PM
It's about listening figures. If the figures have increased due to using rap, then they would hardly remove them, would they?

Taylor Millard
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:02:12 PM
I listen to Talk Radio. I'm boring I know ;)

Judas Escariot
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:21:48 PM
I love rock too

Gurney Devries
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:22:47 PM
You see, two of the three stations have begun playing rap music along with their regular line upI noticed a similar trend where I live. But then, the radio stations also overplay everything here, anyway. So I stopped listening to them.

I can't stand talk radio. There's always something I disagree with and can't retort. It's like being in an argument where you can't respond.

Sith Ahnk
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:50:45 PM
Mojo AM

All sex talk, all the time

Dae Jinn
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:01:57 PM
:lol

I listen to 102.1 for rock, but they even play Eminen now...Only one song though :lol I usually listen to 103.5 though, best station EVER!

Nivram Draklar
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:13:26 PM
I have no rock stations where I live. It's so horrid!

All I have is my Mp3's which I love, and my friends who give me the heads up about them!

:)

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:13:55 PM
Mandatory Marley is something eveyone stations should engage in. It just makes you feel so good. Something that great has to be mandatory.

The Preacha
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:29:10 PM
No rock stations!?!? Oh the horror!!:eek

Zeke, I hadn't heard of the Buzz until now. I'll give it a shot. Thanx for the tip.

imported_Grev Drasen
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:02:01 PM
Coast to Coast with Art Bell is the only talk radio show I can actually tolerate. It deals a lot with the supernatural and UFOs, pretty interesting, although half of the topics don't seem credible.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:52:15 AM
102.5 The Classic Rock Station

104.9 The Funky Monkey (Solid Hour of Rock then 10 minutes of Comercials)

107.7 The End, And for those of you who know: Drunk Biotch Fridays! (Come on, they in Florida)

Most Rap played on any of these stations is Aerosmith's Walk this Way with those Rappers in it.

To bad there ain't no Power Metal Station

ReaperFett
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:55:34 AM
"those rappers" are Run DMC :)

And I believe you'll find they did the original ;)

I personally, listen to the radio for the presenters.

Sejah Haversh
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:32:55 AM
Well, Aerosmith did the original, then Jam Master J got a second-hand LP witht eh label torn off and didn't know who it was, and just wanted to use a bit of the riff and the guitar as a base to build off of. But their manager knew it was Aerosmith,a nd talked them into doign a cover of "Walk This Way" and got Aerosmith to join in, too. It's an awesome song in any way it is performed, and darn hard to sing, too. A real rock tongue-twister.

And I listen to 101.5 Star mostly. No real hip-hop, no rap, and a decent mix. Sure it isn't as cutting edge as 107.7 or some of the others, but it plays most of the mucis I like, which is modern rock, popular not hip-hop stuff, 80's rock and pop, and on friday and saturday nights at 8:00 it's Saturday Night Fever; four hours of pure 70's and disco. It's a refreshing change, especially when you're drawing.

And Good Charlotte FINALLY came out with their new CD, thank goodness. I love it.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:39:16 AM
Tho stations in Sydney I listen two - TripleMMM which is rock (real rock, very little rap metal) and Nova969, which is a real mix - from boy bands to heavy rock, Nelly to old Metallica. And never more than two ads in a row, which is soooooooo good. Which they played better music more often, but you normally dont have to wait too long for somethign decent.

WS FM is Golden Moldies, Triple JJJ is alternative (and really alternate at time, some truly bizarre stuff like Bazouka), and 2DAY FM is for teen-age listeners and absolute crap.

Being bought up on a diet of Jimmy Barnes, INXS, AC-DC, The Angels and a whole heap of Aussie bands, I prefer anything with a decent lead guitar and not much electronics.

Dae Jinn
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:33:08 AM
Good Charlotte chown Sejah :D

I listen to all different kinds of music, but the local radio station here plays like, Metallicca and Ac/Dc and Van Halen, all old hair bands and general crap like that :lol :x It's horrid. I'm so glad Toronto and Buffalo stations come in here.

Evil Hobgoblin
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:30:46 AM
As long as the Foo Fighters get played, that's all I really care about. They can play 50s Big Band music if they want, but as long as I get to hear some rock from outside of the last six months, I'm good.

After all, it's not like I don't have enough cds at home that I can't pop something in and play it when they start playing crud.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:55:54 AM
Radio stations = rubbish.

imported_Firebird1
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:39:13 PM
Thats why I usually make my own CD's these days. Plus NO Commericals!!!

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:07:33 PM
we have three down here....91.1 or 91x, mostly punk but repeats alot, 92.1 new punk no commercials, 105.3 dirty djs, old bands and new but they tend to play old hair bands too much.....

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:29:31 AM
My happy little MiniDisc player is constantly stocked with hours of electronica, tabla / middle eastern music (holdover from Belly Dancing), tons of classic/prog rock, misc jazz, opera, and of course whatever our choir is working on at the moment... Which right now happens to be Faure's Requiem, which we will be preforming at Carnegie Hall in NYC around june. I have been known to listen to a few rap songs, but only the early stuff, before it was all hos and bling bling nonsense. Mostly, I just like the Clapton, Yes, Stones, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Zappa, Fleetwood Mac assortment.

Figrin D'an
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:08:26 AM
Run DMC effectively saved the careers of Aerosmith. They were a has-been group of heroine junkie burn outs when Run DMC asked Steven Tyler and Joe Perry to do the cover of "Walk This Way" with them. It reintroduced them into the mainstream, and once they got clean... well, the rest is history... one of the best selling rock bands in history.

There are 3 really good rock stations in my area, so I'm fortunate in that respect. Lazer 103 (102.9) and Rock 102.1 tend toward more recent stuff, and do play a lot of "rap-metal" and hardcore stuff... but, they manage to mix in a reasonable amount of rock, from Zeppelin to Aerosmith to Pearl Jam to Collective Soul... the other station, 95.7 skews a little more classic rock, so I listen to it as well. I think the best rock station I've ever found is The Loop (97.9) out of Chicago. Great mix, from classic rock up through the alternative/grunge era...

My musical tastes are quite eclectic...