PDA

View Full Version : A humble review of the AOTC DVD

Levi Argon
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:54:54 PM
I am very fortunate to have been able to buy the DVD for Episode II today four days before the official release date here in the UK and five days before the official US release date. As you could imagine I was very excited when a box full of them was delivered this afternoon and I immediatly delved deep into it and retrieved my own. With subtle methods of pursuasion (had store manager at gun-point >D) I was allowed to make the buy early.

At this point I would say I'm about 70% through seeing the features although I didn't thoroughly watch the "From Puppets to Pixels" film-documentary because it was one of the first things I checked out and was too eager to see everything else. That documentary is very interesting however can get rather boring and tedious at times, although it was especially nice to see how much effort had been put into thinking through the character of Yoda and other animated creatures.

Film spots were entertaining and satisfying enough, all the ones we're familiar with from TV. A brief, thirty-second ad for the main characters including the one previewing Yoda in action that was screened at "Celebration 2" I believe was the name of the convention. All teaser trailers and theatric included naturally.

I was, as expected, quite dissatisfied by the deleted scenes featured in the second of the two DVDs but the options available made up for it, especially since you had the option of viewing an intro to the deleted scene explaining why it was innitially made and then why edited out. Nevertheless, one has wonder why the more interesting and no doubt thrilling of the deleted scenes weren't included. There was the raid on the control chip and extended lightsaber duel scenes as opposed to scenes such as "Padmé's House", "Padmé's Bedroom" and the enthralling "Padmé's Shoe Collection". I found the extra scenes with Dooku particularly dull such as the interrogation of Padmé and the trial of Anakin and Padmé. Not only will you wonder "Why were those two scenes even shot?" but more importantly "Why include them in the DVD over the other deleted scenes available?" Why you will ask this is because they are completely irrelevant, even the explanations for them are poor they move the movie nowhere and add nothing of the remotest interest to the story or experience.

Looking back, this review is more negative than it is positive however I have been told it is much easier to see the negative first although I'm usually the type to be swept up in hype and awe I kept my cool and being analytical, thought it would be best to highlight what I disliked about the DVD before I begin raving about how wonderful it is. And it is.

What strikes me first of all and naturally are the animated menu's, much better than any other DVD menu's I have seen before, they really make waiting for something to load up a delight. It's the detailed and thoughtful touches such as this and the care with which the plentiful special features are given that make the AOTC DVD a treasure to own. All the features available on Disc 2 will keep you entertained for hours on end and even after watching the movie over and over and over again, although never become tired of it, you can always come back to these and appreciate the effort put into the composition of the DVD itself, the behind-the-scenes footage revealing the secrets behind AOTC and the care taken to give us, the fans, a thoroughly satisfying Star Wars Experience.

Naturally, the picture quality of the film is spot on (even to the point where you can see one or two problems with the animation - which is a rarity in itself!) and sound flawleess. My only problem with Disc 1 is that the language, subtitle, sound and audio-commentary are awkwardly thrown together and a little less than economical to locate once the film is running.

To finish with, I will say it but it goes without saying really, an absolute must for all Star Wars fans and an essential to all DVD collections for it sets a new standard in DVD quality (At least until the FOTR Extended Edition DVD Boxset comes out. ;)) and would improve the standard of any DVD collection. Whatever your official release date: Go! Buy! And enjoy. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:17:07 PM
This topic can be discussed further here: A humble review of the AOTC DVD (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24743)