PDA

View Full Version : Election 2002

Figrin D'an
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:54:04 PM
While I'm sure that very few non-US citizens care about this, I'm a bit surprised that this topic hasn't popped up yet.

For those in the US, what close races are going on in your area?

In my area (Wisconsin), there are only two national level races... two congressional seats, that both incumbants will win for sure. Other than, the governor's race is extremely close between the incumbant Scott McCallum (R) and the former attorney general Jim Doyle (D). Some locals races as well, of couse.

The big issue is that the party in the White House looks like it will GAIN seats in Congress in the mid-term election, which has happen about 3 times in the last 150 years. It could be a huge night for the Republican party...

So... comments?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:49:00 PM
Has Florida learned how to count?

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Seriously, I rally hope the Repubicans DONT win control of both houses. That to me sounds like a potential recipe for disaster - much as I think Bush as a man is good, I'm not sure less restrictions on the Administrations actions will be a good thing. There's already ben a few things that have worried me deeply, I dont want to see more.

Taylor Millard
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:26:15 AM
Well one thing that needs to be taken into account is the politics of the various Senators. There are Democrat Senators who agree with the Republicans more and vice versa. So just because the Republican have control (now that Talent has won in Missouri control is in the Republican's side) does not mean Bush will get everything through.

There's still a lot of negotiation when it comes to the Senate. The majority for the Republicans has been known to make more deals than stand hardline on issues, such as the Democratic Majority Leader back when they were in control. Unless there is a new Senate Majority Leader for the Republicans, more dealing will be done.

Is there reason to be worried? I doubt it. This will definately be interesting on the judge front, as President Bush has had several Supreme Court Justices he's wanted to nomiate, but has been prevented.

Addendum- The Senate is split right down the middle almost...there will be more negotiation than hard lined stances I believe. Much like before Jim Jeffords moved from Republicand to Independent.

Sith Ahnk
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:34:49 AM
Gah, I wish you didn't have an election.

They've preempted DS9.

DAMN MOST IMPORTANANT GOVERNMENT IN THE WORLD!

DAMN YOU TO HELLIOS!

Gah, oh yeah, on topic...

We just had some big political news too. Looks like the liberal party is splitting in half as the Canadian Alliance, sworn enemies of the Liberal party, managed to sucessfully pass a bill.

Not a huge bill, but still a slap in the face of good ole Jaques.

And I totally agree. No one party should own everything. Your country is close enough to a mad power hungry dictatorship as it is. No need to march any closer.

Figrin D'an
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:47:10 AM
"Your country is close enough to a mad power hungry dictatorship as it is. No need to march any closer."

I would hardly concur with that...

I agree that there will not be a rush of bills through Congress once the new term begins. Certain items that the White House has been pushing, like homeland security, will likely go through rather quickly, as will the approvals of several of the 40-50 federal judical nominees that was put on the backburner until this election is over. Environmental issues will be a big sticking point. So will the privatization of social security.

But, it's still been a pretty significant victory for the Republican party. They maintain control of the House, and gain seats in the Senate (as I type this, it looks like they'll have 50 seats, with two very close races in Minnesota and South Dakota yet to be decided, plus a run-off in Louisiana is yet to come.) The last-minute torrid tour that Bush made of areas with close races has really paid dividends for his party. His popularity had a significant effect.

I'm not Republican... I don't affiliate with any political party, and I never vote a party line in any election... but, the GOP did an effective job in a lot of key states and congressional districts.

Lady Vader
Nov 6th, 2002, 05:33:04 PM
I just have one thing to say:

I hate Democrats.

Ok, I feel better now.

And with that said, I am packing up and moving to a nice Republican state like AR or TX where they won't tax you through the rear, take more than 50% of what you earn with your own blood and sweat, and cause power outtages while trying to "fix" them.

:grumble

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:08:35 PM
If ten percent is good enough for Jesus...

But I digress... I'm a registered independant, but tend to be much more to the Republican side of the fence, and I go to a school that is VERY Liberal... to a fault. You can hardly mention anything like Abortion or Gun control or whatever without getting mauled by the so-called tolerant groups. Yeah, tolerant my left nipple. Oh well, Oregon is about as likely to vote in a Republican govenor as I am to get a sex change. And friends, that ain't likely. Oh well.

Zeke
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:15:18 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
I hate Democrats.

At my old high school the word "Democrat" was used as an insult...in place of the more commonplace swear words, kids called each other "Democrats" in class where they couldn't get away with profanity. As far as the election goes, I haven't been able to keep up with it, and I haven't had time to register to vote yet, but I will as soon as I can.

Admiral Lebron
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:20:11 PM
Bah. You pro-life yuppies.

In my district Tom Davis beat out Frank Creel for congress (which is good as Creel = nutso). Kathleen Townson lost the governer race (for maryland) which is great because even though she was a democrat, she sucked. I know the republican guy won senate race for us.

What pissed me off the most was that people didn't vote for the 1.5 cent tax addendium to fix the road ways in the northern half. If you've ever been to Virginia, near DC, you'll know how bad it is.

Lady Vader
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:23:41 PM
On a side note, some studies and polls were taken and showed that a bigger percentage of Republicans go to the polls to vote than the Democrats do.

Sooooooo... maybe I shouldn't hate the Democrats too much so long as they don't go to vote! :lol

Admiral Lebron
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:37:02 PM
That's because democrats aren't the fat old men who are rich. They are the working man.

Ryla Relvinian
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:24:53 PM
...although isn't it funny that the only people who were so inept they couldn't vote in Florida were only all the democrats? I find that amusing.

Taylor Millard
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:43:31 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Lebron

What pissed me off the most was that people didn't vote for the 1.5 cent tax addendium to fix the road ways in the northern half. If you've ever been to Virginia, near DC, you'll know how bad it is.

Being someone who lives in Northern Virginia (although not as long as Lebron) I'm happy the tax increase didn't pass.

If Richmond would shift funds from other lame duck projects the problem would be solved (or mostly solved). And honestly, I prefer to keep my money so I can do with it as I will. Like buy plane tickets or cds or what not.

The problem with government, that I have observed is once they start getting more money, then tend to spend it more. They can cut back on projects so they can study the mating habits of gerbils or potatoes or what not. I'm all for states rights and the states being stronger than the Federal governement, but I'm sorry, higher taxes is not the answer.

If you move the funds from other projects that don't need to be done, then you can accomplish what you need to accomplish.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:49:32 AM
Im a registered Republican but I vote for who I think will best serve the country, regardless of party lines. Ive voted Democrat many times before and will gladly do it again if the Repubs keep fielding dorks. :(

Taylor Millard
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:03:03 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daiquiri
Im a registered Republican but I vote for who I think will best serve the country, regardless of party lines. Ive voted Democrat many times before and will gladly do it again if the Repubs keep fielding dorks. :(

See that's a key right there, the ability to see whose better for the job, whether it be a Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian.

If you vote for whose best for the job then tehre ya go. Personally, I wish more people would vote...I'm one of those wierd people who registered a month before I was 18 'cause you can. I LOVE voting.

But then I'm also naive ;)

Leeloo Mina
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:16:37 AM
I'm not 18 yet, but I kept having people who were/are running for senate or something, that would come up to me and give me a flier and tell me to remember to vote.. Well.. I would if I could o_O

Admiral Lebron
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:48:22 AM
The traffic is horrendous. My house to DC average time is an hour and a half in rush hour. On a sunday morning its like thirty five minutes. Its horrible.

Judas Escariot
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:41:00 AM
I don't vote.....I hate politics!:mad

Gurney Devries
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:54:30 AM
See that's a key right there, the ability to see whose better for the job, whether it be a Republican, Democrat, or LibertarianPrecisely. I know too many people that just vote for whatever party they're aligned to. Personally, I don't see the point of having a system of voting if you're not really going to look at the canidates and just vote blindly.

Personally, I don't like classifying myself as a Democrat or Replublican. I think the entire concept of dividing the country into two opposing policitcal groups is stupid. Most people don't join a group because it aligns with their beliefs. Usually, they join one because they were brought up that way, and then they derive their beliefs from what the majority of the party believes. Propaganda rules this country.

However - Personally, I see at least 10 times the amount of bias coming from the "Left-Wing" side of things (not in this thread, just in general). "Crazy Ring Wing conservatives" or "Republicans are just fat, rich old men". These can't even be classified as stereotypes, since they have little to no basis in truth.

Either way, can we avoid name-calling in this thread? It's so easy for political arguments to turn into childish mud-slinging. And name calling like that hardly furthers your point or strengthens your cause.

imported_Callista
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:55:20 PM
I'm 19...haven't registered to vote yet...

Sad, eh? lol ....k, so I just moved to Colorado (yay for the Republicans winning!) and anyone that lives here...good lord...I've never seen such negative campaigning and advertisement! It actually was beginning to tick me off and even if I could have voted I wouldn't have voted for any of them...it was terrible. Back in Wyoming they're all nice and stuff, lol...

I wish I would have registered for this election and voted in Wyoming...family friend was just elected Sheriff for Laramie County....big county...contains the capital. :)

Admiral Lebron
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:43:07 PM
It was negative everywhere. Maryland governers race was really really horrible.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:32:58 PM
Originally posted by Lady Vader
I just have one thing to say:

I hate Democrats.

Ok, I feel better now.

And with that said, I am packing up and moving to a nice Republican state like AR or TX where they won't tax you through the rear, take more than 50% of what you earn with your own blood and sweat, and cause power outtages while trying to "fix" them.

:grumble

You do know that the taxes they take from you benefit you. If you pay less taxes, then you'll get less state services. Sure, it's already bad enough, just imagine having it worse.

Also, Republicans seem to make laws more strict for immigrants. Maybe some of you are sick of immigrants, but remember that everyone in this country is an immigrant (except Native Americans). If this is the land of dreams, then it should be facilitated for them too.

Lady Vader
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:42:39 PM
And they're free to apply for citizenship. But I don't see many of them doing that. They tend to want to do things the illegal way, and that's what gets them burned and sent back to wence they came.

And on another side note: Thank GAWD those annoying campaigning adds and commercials are gone. I swear, it was every single commercial! REALLY annoying. |I

Gurney Devries
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:56:12 PM
I have to agree with LV: If you're here illegally (operative word here), you have no rights. Only citizens have rights in the US. Illegal immigration is out of control where I live.

And, as much as you can tell me "taxes are for your own good", that doesn't make it any easier when you see half of your paycheck gone to taxes and other things like Medicare. No, really... I don't have it quite so bad, but my father (who's only a couple of years away from retirement, thank god) has almost 50% of his check taken away before he gets it. If any more gets taken out, he's going to be taking home less than half of what he actually makes... that's really sad, if you ask me.

sonja
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:14:03 PM
There is something to be said for party politics.

If you vote along party lines, more things get accomplished in the end. I'm glad Republicans got control because you'll see more get done this way. Not because they're Republican, but because the senate will work together with the President.

When you vote in a R Prez, and a D Congress, that's when laws don't get passed. That's when good bills get burried or trashed. When your Senator is the same party as the Prez, you'll also see more money flow into your state. Like it or not, that's how things work in the political realm.

For myself, YeeeaaaHHHH for the Republicans! Yeah yeah yeah! Makes me want to go back to school, become lawyer, and run. This was the original plan, before I discovered graphics.

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:25:09 PM
Medicare? Social Security? When most kids my age (18) get to be old enough to apply for either one, they will more than likely be gone. Those 2 programs are so freaking expensive and that is where half of our taxes go anyway. The US is having too hard a time dishing out money to all the people on Social Security as it is. I don;t want my tax dollars to go to a fund that is more than likely not to exist by the time I get to reap those benefits.

Figrin D'an
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:27:22 PM
Originally posted by Xenodoros Stormrider
You do know that the taxes they take from you benefit you. If you pay less taxes, then you'll get less state services. Sure, it's already bad enough, just imagine having it worse.

Also, Republicans seem to make laws more strict for immigrants. Maybe some of you are sick of immigrants, but remember that everyone in this country is an immigrant (except Native Americans). If this is the land of dreams, then it should be facilitated for them too.

If you ask, most people don't have a problem with the concept of paying taxes. They have a problem with tax rates being pushed so high to fund wasteful programs. Paying in taxes for important federal and state services is one matter. Paying in taxes to fund a multi-million dollar study of the effects of methane gas emissions from cow manuer is another (Yes, such a program did exist). A fundamental lack of fiscal responsibility is why people say they hate taxes.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:49:28 PM
And they're free to apply for citizenship. But I don't see many of them doing that. They tend to want to do things the illegal way, and that's what gets them burned and sent back to wence they came.

Yeah, but you know why they're illegal? Do you know how long it takes them to get a Green Card if they have no citizen sponsor in the country? 5 whole years. And after they get their Green Card, they have to wait an extra 5 years to get their citizenship.

A minimum of 10 years would be required for an illegal immigrant to get their citizenship. That's why you see so many of them. It's not that easy to say "They're free to apply for citizenship". It's not that free.

And that's another problem. In order to get their Green Card, they have to have enough money. It costs a lot of money to get it. You think an illegal immigrant that came from a poor country would be able to afford it?

It's not that easy. It's very, very hard. And Republicans would tend to make it even harder.

No, really... I don't have it quite so bad, but my father (who's only a couple of years away from retirement, thank god) has almost 50% of his check taken away before he gets it.

And who pays for the retired? Taxpayers.

Lady Vader
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:54:25 PM
Nup and Fig: Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

AmazonBabe
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:40:42 PM
Yeah, but you know why they're illegal? Do you know how long it takes them to get a Green Card if they have no citizen sponsor in the country? 5 whole years. And after they get their Green Card, they have to wait an extra 5 years to get their citizenship.

I'm always under the mindset that if you really want something, you'll attain it the right way. Otherwise you'll have even MORE delays if your caught.

Sooo... it's either 10 years to attain citizenship through legal ways, or it's years of living in secret and in fear of being caught and once you are caught, being thrown back into the country you came from, thus forcing you to start the whole process of sneaking back in.

In the long run, 10 years is nothing compared to scraping away at a life where you'll never get the full benefits of being an actual citizen. Instead, you'd be seen as a criminal.

Severen Morkonis
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:44:38 PM
My uncle recently moved to Cali from england and it took him 3 years just to gain a green card.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:36:00 AM
Yeah, but I'm sure he entered legally.

And as for those who have illegal identifications, sometimes it's because at every single place you go, they ask you for a social security. You don't have it, you're screwed. It shuts the doors. But hey, everyone has their opinions on this. I have my own.

And remember money. Without a social security, one can't really make much money in this country. Thus such a long delay.

Taylor Millard
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:50:45 AM
Whatta ya mean without social security one can't really make money? I'm tired of having money taken out of my paycheck for Social Security.

The same for income and state tax. I want to keep my own money...now, Congress does have the right to tax its citizens, but it's way too much.

I'm tired of giving money to the government that I should be able to spend on my own. A little tax, that's fine...I don't mind paying that...but not what I'm paying now.

Gurney Devries
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:04:13 AM
And who pays for the retired? Taxpayers. Wrong. A portion of his paycheck is taken out to pay for his own retirement. Which means he earns even less. Seeing is gross and net takehome is really disgusting.

Xeo: You're trying to advocate the hardships of illegal immigrants. I'm sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for them. It has to do with that whole "illegal" part. Yes, it's not easy to become a citizen here. That's intentional.

Morgan Evanar
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:36:06 AM
I agree with Nup seeing that the illegal imigrants not only totally soak the legal tax dollars but also but dodge standard income.