PDA

View Full Version : I am considering...

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 03:28:47 PM
...giving members who contribute financial support to SWFans.Net forums, email address that would be something like...

ogre@sw-fans.net

...where "ogre" could be whatever name they chose. I just feel that some kind of recognition should be given to members that contribute financially to our site.

These email addresses could be used to send and recieve mail from a program like Outlook Express or there are also a couple of web based email systems that our host offers for using these email addresses.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 03:30:37 PM
I'm not positive, but I think if I had the name...

ogre@sw-fans.net

...as an email address, that the address...

ogre@swforums.net

would also be functional for the same account. I need to do some testing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2002, 04:16:17 PM
Hey that sounds cool. :)

ReaperFett
Nov 1st, 2002, 04:17:44 PM
sounds cool :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:13:05 PM
I tested and it looks like the @swforums.net email address won't work, but the @sw-fans.net one works great.

Taylor Millard
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:16:04 PM
Sohow would we set that up? Outlook express?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:17:52 PM
Provide me with a name (the substitution for "ogre" in my example and a PW you want via PM and I can set them up for contributers and give instructions for configuring via Outlook Express, as well as provide the URLs for web based access.

Taylor Millard
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:23:37 PM
Okay... taylor@sw-fans.net

It'd be accessable via Yahoo! correct?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:26:18 PM
I may have spoken too soon about web access to your email addresses. I am investigating that still. I as the webmaster have access via the web, but am not sure that secondary accounts can have web access. But Outlook Express will definitely work for anyone.

I will PM you your email account PW and post instructions to set it up in Outlook Express shortly.

As for the Yahoo! question, I'm not sure what you mean.

Taylor Millard
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:30:15 PM
Okay...I use either the computer up at the radio station or my roomie's computer to get access to email.

Yahoo...I believe has it set up to where you can receive email from an Outlook Express account...I was just wondering if that would be possible for me, since having web based email's a bit easier than Outlook Express.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:41:00 PM
If Yahoo can check a POP mail account, it should work fine with the server and log in info that you would use for Outlook Express.

incoming mail server (POP3) mail.sw-fans.net
outgoing mail server (SMTP) mail.sw-fans.net

Instructions for setting it up in Outlook Express are as follows:

Open Outlook Express - Click "Tools" and then select "Accounts".

In the accounts listing screen click the "Add" button and select "Mail"

Then type in the "Display Name" field whatever you want people to see as the sender when they receive emails from you. It can be your name or just an Internet handle. I generally just use "Ogre"

Click "Next" and type in your email address. In Taylor's case its "taylor@sw-fans.net" without the quotation marks.

Click "Next". Input the server address "mail.sw-fans.net" into each of the two fields (incoming and outgoing) without the quotation marks.

Click "Next". Fill the account name with your email name. In Taylor's case it would be "taylor" without quotes. (this is your email log in name). In the Password field input the password I sent you via PM exactly as it was. (it is case sensitive and if I pick your PW it will be mixed with lower case and upper case letters and include a number or two). Leave the "Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" field unchecked.

Click "Next" and click "Finished".

Taylor Millard
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:51:41 PM
w00t it worked! Thanks Ogies!

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:53:31 PM
I just sent you an email message too. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:22:34 PM
Well then.... I want mine as lilaena@sw-fans.net :D Coolness :crack

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:28:17 PM
I have sent you a PM. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:31:54 PM
^_^ danke

[btw this whole "PK' thing is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I think its better handled in here than out on OOC... imo]

ReaperFett
Nov 1st, 2002, 08:51:26 PM
Can I reccomend you decide on a min. contribution amount to get one? TO stop someone putting $0.01 or something :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:19:57 PM
I was considering that and would have brought it up had the situation arisen. I think $10 would probably be what I consider the minimum for an email account to be given.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:37:11 PM
What is that in yen? ;)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:41:15 PM
I posted it in the OOC forum in the hosting discussion thread and specifically said $10 US. :p

Taylor Millard
Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:02:35 AM
:lol :lol

imported_Eve
Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:06:57 AM
Okay then,

sonja@sw-fans.net

would by mine. :)

This is neat, although I don't think I'll get e-mails to it. Why would anyone here e-mail me.

(On a side note: is there a reason I started getting less spam mail with hotmail lately?)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:04:34 PM
Mine won't work. I can recieve, but not send. :(

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:08:14 PM
After all the troubleshooting we did last night, I’m thinking your ISP has the SMTP port (25) blocked. Its about the only answer possible.

You have a PM Eve. :)

Morgan Evanar
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:40:54 PM
I want sexsexsexsex@sw-fans.net

jk.

I'm still making up my mind on that one.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:47:58 PM
:lol

I just found out that web access is possible. Here is what the URL would be for LD:

http://lilaena:@sw-fans.net:2095/lilaena+sw-fans.net/

It even gives you the ability to reset your own Pw instead of having one I chose. :)

Master Yoghurt
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:51:34 PM
Sent you a PM :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:52:39 PM
And I have replied. :)

Master Yoghurt
Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:27:41 PM
:: plays around with the email ::

Send all your spam here:
yog@sw-fans.net
;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 2nd, 2002, 06:54:36 PM
w00t!! I'll fool with it tonight THANKS! :crack

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:17:10 AM
Tested...^_^;

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:57:06 AM
BTW: LD and I found out tonight that certain emails sent through third party web pages may not be received at your sw-fans.net account. I have a server side spam killer application that doesn’t let some emails through the system.

Spam Assassin is our friend. :)

TheHolo.Net
Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:22:41 AM
Well, it looks like maybe the site she was trying to use wasn't working, but anyway, we do have server side spam protection running on our email system.

imported_Eve
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:17:04 AM
Um, I don't know what I was thinking... but I deleted the PM, so I don't have my password anymore.

Can ya PM me again? Then I'll change it so I can remember.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:04:31 PM
:cry my ninja assassins didn't get through.... :( They didn't work for my Y! account either.

Sanis Prent
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:47:30 AM
I have an old email address on the Portal of Evil. I think it was loungiemu@chlamydia-is-not-a-flower.net

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:46:45 PM
Hmm..... Mozilla's Composer isnt liking to send. Recieve is okay.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:57:31 PM
No, got it sussed. I was using a username/password for SMTP, when the server did not require it.

/Professional Sys admin opinion - Force SMTP to use password authentication. It helps stop spamming scum using the SMTP server as a relay. (Telnets in), yes, your potentially a Open relay. At the least force SMTP authentication.

Lady Vader
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:42:42 PM
OOO! What a nifty thing!! me like!!! :rollin

I want my e-mail to be: JungleCat@sw-fans.net

Please and thank you! :rollin

TheHolo.Net
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:10:01 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
No, got it sussed. I was using a username/password for SMTP, when the server did not require it.

/Professional Sys admin opinion - Force SMTP to use password authentication. It helps stop spamming scum using the SMTP server as a relay. (Telnets in), yes, your potentially a Open relay. At the least force SMTP authentication. If I had the ability to make the change, I would.