PDA

View Full Version : About Reason

Reason
Oct 31st, 2002, 05:53:20 PM
For the sake of future RPs, here's Reason's deal.

Reason is a 7 foot tall droid, somewhat heavier than a Wookiee. It's sole function is to protect Lillian Snow, thus it is never far from her. There will never be a thread with Lillian that does not also include Reason. It was created by her parents and sent in secret to fulfill this task. It is a prototype unit, the only one of its kind. The task of protecting Lillian serves as a field test before Reason is mass-produced. It is the ultimate bodyguard, armed with the following:

Reason's weapons: Blasters, one in each palm, 20 in each shoulder. 6 in its chest. 2 wristblades, like small lightsabers. Tail extends into a whiplike state. Normally the tail is 6 feet. In combat, it doubles to 12.

Reason's defenses: A thick layer of armor over a cortoris covering. Beneath the two is a standard sheet of metal, like on protocol droids.

Reason's miscellaneous capabilities: Bio sensors to sense life forms, metal detectors to detect weapons.

Reason cannot shoot in close range. In close quarters, it is programmed to fight with melee weapons. If Reason perceives no threat to Lillian, it will not fight. For the purposes of "what does Reason look like"...

Visual aid: http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/characters/justice-nm.gif

In summary, he's essentially a Medium-class droid, not too heavy, not too light, got some good firepower on him, has a decent chance of standing up to several Light-class droids (TPM battle droids), can take another one to three Medium droids head on and win (AOTC Super Battle Droids or destroyer droids), but ultimately has trouble with anything that can throw more firepower at him or anything that is significantly faster than he is.

Hope this helps.

Nupraptor
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:37:22 PM
How manueverable is Reason? Because, honestly, I can't picture a 'droid that's agile enough to dodge a Jedi's Force-enhanced lightsaber thrust. I only bring it up because of the limited methods of fighting a droid without destroying it outright.

Lillian Snow
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:51:46 PM
If he could dodge that, there would be no need for the cortoris layer of armor. Reason's got enough AI in him to understand when he's losing a battle, and he will back off once he's taken enough damage. The point of Reason isn't to have a character that is invincible or to have a character whose sole purpose is to beat others and inevitably win. Reason was created to protect my character. When it feels its done its job, it will back down, or when it has taken more damage than it thinks it can handle, it will take me and leave.

Nupraptor
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:53:10 PM
Sorry, missed the part about cortosis. Hmmm... alrighty, thanks.

>D

Lillian Snow
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:55:38 PM
No problem.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:56:54 PM
I dont really see a problem, now I understand the the blasters are in the shoulder boxes.

Dae Jinn
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:59:22 PM
uh-oh, nuppy has that gleam in his eyes >D

Zeke
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:03:33 AM
Yeah, AND?

Dae Jinn
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:04:22 AM
Time for....tickles!!!

*tackles Zeke and tickles him silly* :D

Zeke
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:05:49 AM
::isnt' ticklish:: But if you poke my sides long enough my muscles crawl. Creepy, it is. But anyway, enough hijack, This thread has a serious purpose.

Dae Jinn
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:11:20 AM
Oh it does not!
*pinches Zeke instead* :mneh

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:11:55 AM
*bops Dae* bad nudjie lady.....

Zeke
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:15:49 AM
::pinched and saved:: The point is to clear up any questions about Reason. But it seems to be explained...

Leeloo Mina
Nov 1st, 2002, 07:26:29 AM
Originally posted by Dae Jinn
uh-oh, nuppy has that gleam in his eyes >D

He always has that gleam in his eyes... :|

...:cry

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 1st, 2002, 09:46:15 AM
I'm so surprised you people have not figured out how to beat Reason without maiming him or disabling him with the Force. It is so obvious. But I'm not telling how.

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:00:36 PM
I'm assuming an EMP would do nicely... oh Sanis? :)

Zeke
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:37:21 PM
What a cheap tactic.

Sanis Prent
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:55:34 AM
Yes, but it works :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:53:17 AM
Aha nice droid

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:23:21 PM
Why not be cheap? If a large bot with guns and sharp things and cortosis wants to smite me, I have no problems dropping grenade type objects on it. :)

Zeke
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:28:17 PM
The EMP may be effective, yes, but after that there's not alot Reason can do. Basically you've just made a one post kill. And who wants to RP with people who are just gonna EMP him to death?

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:10:45 AM
Well, if the designers were smart, they'd have shielded the circuitry, meaning you'd have to compromise it first. Thus, it's be a kill shot at the end of a fight, not a one shot by itself.

Zeke
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:24:13 AM
Just worried people are gonna pull screwy crap to try and beat him quickly with little effort just because he's a droid.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:28:25 AM
EMP can be shieled against. I've thought of a way to do it other than that.

Inu
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:28:51 AM
Do tell.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:33:55 AM
Shaped charge warheads, however, do nicely against armor, regardless of shielding.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:56:39 AM
Yes, well...I'm pretty sure that a turbolaser strike would do wonders...:lol

Isn't 20 blasters in each shoulder a bit excessive?

Taylor Millard
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:48:17 AM
Originally posted by Wei Wu Wei
I'm so surprised you people have not figured out how to beat Reason without maiming him or disabling him with the Force. It is so obvious. But I'm not telling how.

Simple...unplug the extension cord that's running behind him.

>D

:mischief

Silus Xilarian
Nov 9th, 2002, 03:51:28 AM
*Gets the hosepipe* >D

imported_Akrabbim
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:27:41 AM
Or, for you Star Trek geeks out there, make him ponder an impossible set of phrases until his head goes all sparkley and explodes. :)

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 10th, 2002, 06:30:53 AM
I say we just throw water on him and laugh...:D

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:32:43 AM
Or send him Windows Me >D

MMU
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:49:28 PM
A new friend!!!! Yay!!!!

Now we can rot our circuits watching morning cartoons!!!

Reason
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:55:29 PM
Ok...the last few posts are awfully encouraging.

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:06:26 PM
Well...what did you expect?

Reason
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:09:23 PM
Seems I shouldn't expect respect, or even constructive criticism. But when the time comes for Lillian to learn to do without Reason, it seems I have plenty of people who will be more than willing to kill me.

MMU
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:15:01 PM
I don't wanna kill you; I just want someone to talk to :cry

Sanis Prent
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:27:07 PM
Take this valium and relax please.

IC != OOC

Nupraptor
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:29:40 PM
You're an excessively over-armed 'droid lined with cortosis armor. It's akin to introducing a powerful character right from the get-go: People don't take kindly to it. I mean, heck... if a 1 day old 'droid could hold it's own in a fight against a Jedi Knight / Master, why would anyone play Jedi?

In the movies, the only kinds of 'droids that ever stood up to a Jedi were the Destroyers in TPM - and then only because they had personal forcefields. It's be akin to wanting to play a Stormtrooper.

I know what you're trying to say. I'm just trying to offer another viewpoint on the matter.

On a side comment: If someone could crack the first layer of armor, it would likely crack the cortosis layer as well, since cortosis is extremely brittle.

And, on a lighter note: Wouldn't those shoulder-thingies make him reeeallly top-heavy? :)

Reason
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:30:21 PM
But I'm mechanical! I can't take medicine!...

But in all seriousness, I was sort of expecting this, so I'll be fine. Don't see alot of droids fighting around here, so it raises some questions and ridicule. Besides, I really am gonna need someone to destroy me eventually. Not now of course, it'll be a while. First I have to rid myself of Logic, and get Lillian to toughen up...

Just saw Nup. I know I'm insanely powerful. It's not so I can mode and kick lots of butt, its to deter people from starting fights with Lillian. Though I will eventually need a fight to destroy me for the sake of Lillian, as I stated in the above paragraph.

Logic
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:51:27 PM
Would they make him top heavy? Possibly. That's why he's a prototype: they can still make changes as necessary. At any rate, I'll be replacing Reason once the necessary storyline events occur. I've only got some light armor and a single cannon, but unlike Reason, I can think logically.

Nupraptor
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:09:43 PM
.... you're also the evil Megaman. :)

Sol Invictus
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:10:49 PM
Protoman rocks the frikkin house.

Silus Xilarian
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:23:43 PM
btw...what does the NR and GJO think about having a 7 foot wardroid walking around. Seems to me that thinking in terms of IC (even if you have no OOC intention on doing this) that all it would take is a misunderstanding, IE someone playfully pushing Lillian, to send Reason into kill mode. With the weapons youve given him, someone like say, a padawan wouldnt stand a chance against that thing. And I dont think the NR (or the empire for that matter, should you decide to come into our territory) will appreciate a Wardroid walking around that doesnt belong to them. A bit of a security risk, if ya ask me.....

Thats just my opinion though........

Lillian Snow
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:29:58 PM
True, and that has nearly happened a few times...Reason is too good at what it does, and thus will be replaced with Logic soon. I'd like to see Reason fight the NR or the Empire, it would be a fitting end if the droid were defeated by them.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:44:40 AM
We'll just have Rromeo's hacking team member upload windows 3.x....:lol

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:00:16 AM
How would thr NR look apon Reason?

Tohmahawk for one would be facinated and likely to place an order for a few when the bugs are fixed

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:13:57 AM
Unfortunately, as the NR is currently dead, we can't order any reasons...but I don't think we have a tech library covering vehicles, which would make this an interesting idea...

Also, Lion's soon to be discovered Power Dreadnought Armor is an interesting idea...

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:33:09 AM
Who said the NR is dead? It's just no one has bothered playing a NR character for a while.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:41:13 AM
Well, no one has bothered playing a "PURE" NR character for a while. I'm sure that, with a little effort, we could get the NR back on track. So, what's this idea of yours, Marcus?

Anyways, I don't think people are being unsporting about Reason. It's like Nup said: If somebody tries to enter the GJO as a Master on their first day, people won't be happy about it. But, since Reason is gonna be filet soon anyways, I don't really havbe a problem with him.

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:43:00 AM
Not quite saying my NR ideas in public yet... still formulating. We can belt em in shape in the NR forums

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:57:23 AM
...excellent...cya there, Marcus...:lol

Reason
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:55:19 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn

Tohmahawk for one would be facinated and likely to place an order for a few when the bugs are fixed

Actually, after Logic replaced Reason I was planning on tightening up Reason's design to counter any problems there may be and have them mass produced. I also had an idea like Lion's to convert Reason into a powered suit...just not sure which to do.

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:28:53 PM
EMPs, all these other things... Goodness me. All you have to do to beat Reason is LEAVE LILLIAN SNOW ALONE! It's inexpensive, takes no time at all to do, it is by far the best way to get REason off your back! I swear, you people are far too violent! :rollin

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:46:24 PM
She's like Mon Mothma...you poke her and her skin changes color...

And who could resist poking Mon Mothma?

Silus Xilarian
Nov 11th, 2002, 06:10:39 PM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn

I was looking at this from a security stand point, not a development stand point, but to each there own....

I'll be the first to admit, you bring Reason to Balmorra we're either gonna blow him up, or disable him for research.....

Both of these actions, however, include getting Reason out of the public where civilian life is compromised.

And yes, we are an Imperial faction that cares for its civilians :)

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:26:34 AM
Yeah, right...Imps that actually care for their people...Uh-Huh...:lol

Evil Hobgoblin
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:47:30 AM
They care for them because they need them to pay their taxes, obviously. :)

Taylor Millard
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:52:41 AM
That and there's a lotta history on Balmorra.

Why massacre history?

We're not complete tyrants.

Just partial ones. :D

And yes Hob...taxes do help.

But we call them tributes. ;)

Evil Hobgoblin
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:59:46 PM
Actually, according to John Locke's social contract theory, people technically "give" their taxes to government in order to keep it running, so it can continue to provide them with security.

Wei: The only flaw in that reasoning (if you'll pardon the pun) is that if you don't know Lillian and Reason are connected, you can run afoul of the droid by, say, accidentally knocking Lillian's drink over.

That reminds me.

Reason: I PMed you a couple of days ago with a question about your last post in the "Sunset" thread. I need to hear back from you before I can respond. It may have been sent under my Pierce Tondry character, I don't remember. But please get back to me on that detail.

Reason
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:02:19 PM
You have a reply on that PM, Pierce.

Pierce Tondry
Nov 13th, 2002, 01:14:07 PM
Okay, thanks.

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 14th, 2002, 06:49:28 PM
..Reason would shoot you for knocking over snow's drink?

:lol

Zeke
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:07:01 PM
He would bristle, make a show of power to intimidate, but he wouldn't shoot you unless she had a bad reaction. Like when the mutant cockroach crawled out of her food and she screamed, Reason attacked the cockroach. I had to bail that bug's butt...

Lion El' Jonson
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:05:27 PM
ahhh...poor bug...:lol

Sorreessa Tarrineezi
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:27:58 PM
jindeed.....