PDA

View Full Version : Announcement for all TSO senior members to read and consider

TheHolo.Net
Oct 31st, 2002, 02:11:01 PM
We now have the ability to disable swearing on a forum-by-forum basis, which means that TSO can have the swear filter disabled on their forums if they so chose. I would however suggest that it only be done in limited access (private) forums, and that consent from all of the staff be given before disabling it.

The rules of SWFans.Net are not the rules of TSO or any other group unless they are adopted as such by the group’s leaders. I as SWFans.Net administrator will not dictate what you can or cannot do, but I do urge you to consider what you are doing by disabling the swear filter and any impact it may have on the forums that are under SWFans.Net rule sets. Disabling the swear filter here could very possibly have adverse affects on the RP section of these forums, hopefully not but it is possible.

Feel free to discuss as you like and let me know what final decisions you make. :)

Lady Vader
Oct 31st, 2002, 05:33:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Ogies. :)

As for me, I've always wanted the swear filters off at TSO. Not so much so i can swear up a storm like a drunken sailor, but just to have the freedom to say what I wish. This of course doesn't mean I'd swear every other word.

I do agree that the private forums should have the swear filter turned off, as it wouldn't have an impact on the rest of SWF as a whole.

As to the open forums here at TSO, I would like the filter turned off, but I do understand what Ogies just said that it could have an impact on the rest of the SWF RP areas. In this regard, I will go with what the majority of the members here at TSO wishe.

What does everyone else think?

Jehova Eaven
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:58:30 PM
I don't think.... I swear like a sailor anyways. I guess that I have no opinion as usual. Keeping it on may keep certain users from uh... saying truely hurtful things... however I do believe in freedom of speech and the occasional cursing would add to the SW roleplay experience. Its a double edge sword...

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 1st, 2002, 01:38:52 AM
Ah, finally, I can curse again!!! Oh Sweet bad words! I have missed you!

Jeseth Cloak
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:25:05 AM
While I won't be here that much longer, I would be in favor of it being disabled. There's nothing wrong with saying -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- or -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- when you're IC. It's just the appropriate word sometimes... though I rarely swear, to be honest.

Salem Ave
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:12:34 PM
I think they should be taken off. The DO-NOT-SWEAR thing REALLY annoys me, actually.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 03:17:51 PM
Besides being annoying as a deterrent, it also makes it quite obvious when someone is saying something they are not supposed to in the forums.

DarthDarkCloak
Nov 1st, 2002, 08:16:23 PM
I think swearing should be disabled, because swearing is something you don't see in Star Wars, EVER. If Lucas doesn't use them, we shouldn't...........

Sugar Honey Iced Tea

AmazonBabe
Nov 1st, 2002, 08:26:20 PM
Good point, DDC.

Well, at least on the main RP forums, can it not be those long -DO-NOT-SWEAR- lines? Maybe just ***** instead? It can really mess up a paragraph or story. :\

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 08:29:01 PM
I agree with DDC's point.

I prefer the long DO NOT SWEAR line because it is a deterrant and makes it very obvious who the offenders of setting off the censor are. Its not like someone who has that in a post can't edit it to say comething that won't be censored. People's imaginations should not be so limited to have to resort to words that are on the censored list.

Lady Vader
Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:59:43 AM
I guess... though I spoke to Nuppy a few days ago and he said he changed it to ***** because even the -DO-NOT-SWEAR- were getting on his nerves... but it's back to the DNS lines...

But wait... that was on the old server. This is a new server. Right. Ok. It was changed back. Don't mind me. I'm just thinking outloud.

Right.

Back on topic.

So how many here at TSO want the filter on or off?

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:57:43 AM
Technically, Lucus used Futuristic Swear Words, like Hell, and Poo-Doo. Today, they are nothing, but in the future, they would burn your ears off. Even calling someone a fluffy ewok can cause Galactic Civil War. (Hence the Rebellion. Someone said Palpatine's hair looked like a Fluffy Ewok and the Rebellion was born. Long detailed story, to lazy to tell) Well anyway,
Sithspawn is a curse, but it means nothing to us, so we must use our Curse Words to fill in the gap

DarthDarkCloak
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:11:24 AM
Originally posted by SWFans.Net
I agree with DDC's point.

I prefer the long DO NOT SWEAR line because it is a deterrant and makes it very obvious who the offenders of setting off the censor are. Its not like someone who has that in a post can't edit it to say comething that won't be censored. People's imaginations should not be so limited to have to resort to words that are on the censored list.

indeed............

one can always call someone a pile of Bantha or even a sithspawn as Dyzm pointed out, but i dont think the conventional four letter and five letter words should be allowed.........

But this Happens

Feliciana Devano
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:02:51 AM
I think (though I won't be here much longer) that the swear filter should be taken off. It's such a pain in the -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- to have it always say "DO--NOT--SWEAR--DO--NOT--SWEAR--DO--NOT--SWEAR--DO--NOT--SWEAR--DO--NOT--SWEAR" etc....you get my point. *big sigh* It would just be nice to be able to speak your mind once in a while. I think maybe....wait....

Is there a way to make a filter where, if let's say....there is more than a certain number of swear words in a post, the rest can be edited? I think that would solve the problem that people are afraid of happening......just an idea if it's even possible......;)

Blaine
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:04:21 PM
The swear filter... hmm...

It all depends how it's used. If it's used moderately than it's okay, but if it's used to swear and INSULT someone it's not such a good idea. Therefore, I wouldn't mind if the swear filter were disabled(I'd love it actually), but to receive less complaints, I'd have to say enable it.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:25:35 PM
I just want to say Sh1t Eating Pizza without using a 1...

Levi Argon
Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:51:14 AM
I think the swear filter should most definately remain intact unless we restrict our membership to people over the age of fifteen. You don't see PG-rated films or 12-rated films which have actors turning the air blue and I think we should display some responsibility in that respect and uphold common values. As much as ten year olds might like to feel older by using harsh language, it is wrong and terribly unneccessary.

The problem here isn't so much the filter itself but rather the ridiculously long censor. If we could change it to something as simple as -censored- then that would be perfectly fine with me but if not then I'd rather see it gone. It's not a deterrent more than it is an annoyance to those having to read the posts littered with -DO NOT SWEAR- and is more of an eyesore.

I think it could come down to a question of: "Can the censor be changed for TSO?" If not then I say get rid of the swear filter, not because I don't respect decency but because I don't like getting irritated.

Jehova Eaven
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:56:53 PM
I would have to agree with Levi/Gav.

Lady Vader
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:30:04 AM
*Claps*

Wonderfully said, Gav! Beautiful! I whole-heartedly agree with what you said.

So, Ogies, how bout that? Can it be done?
Can we keep the swear filter here at TSO, but have it changed so it reads -censored- or ***** instead of the ridiculous -DO-NOT-SWEAR- deal. If it can't be changed for just TSO alone, then remove the swear filter entirely.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:57:37 PM
I didn’t find what the censor substituted to be ridiculous. I found it ridiculous that people didn’t have enough imagination to not set it off. Anyhow the censor replacement can only be changed board wide not forum specifically, but I have changed it to –Censored-.

Gouyen Chee
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:15:36 PM
There's somthing I'd like to bring up -- can you remove a word from being censored? The word I'm thinking of is a*s*s and my reasons are as follows:

1. It is a legitimate word, meaning donkey or onager or idiot, and somehow saying that someone is "making a donkey of themselves" just doesn't sound the same.

2. I've heard it on broadcast TV, the Tonight Show specifically, and Jay Leno has used it interchangeably to mean either "donkey" or "buttocks," as in one bit he did where he challenges a Detroit Lions football player to "kiss my a**" and then brought out a donkey for him to kiss.

3. I've also heard the word quite often on an Los Angeles area rock radio station during the day and evening, so it seems that it's not on the "seven dirty words" list.

I would say a** is in the same catagory as "bitch," which has legitamate meanings of female dog or complaint or something being very difficult. It seems to have lost much of its risque quality. So therefore I would like to see it removed from the *CENSORED* list.

Levi Argon
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:13:02 PM
**** - Just testing.

The normal censor is just far too long, of ridiculous proportions. That is my problem with it, the big, capital letters and repetition of "Do not swear" make it look childish in my opinion. If you want it to stand out why not make it lime green or even red?

Fair enough, people shouldn't be using foul language in the first place however that doesn't mean the rest of us should have to suffer. It is an eyesore and it does reduce the aesthetic quality of a thread/post, by challenging one problem another is being created. That has always been my problem with the censor and that is why I describe it as "ridiculous".

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:38:57 PM
I have just recently worked out a small hack that makes it so that censored words only have the text replaced once per word instead of once per character in the censored word. After some further testing I may implement that here.

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:00:07 PM
I have made the modification here and also made it so that the cenor replacement text is smaller than normal post text and it is also color dependant on the style bieng used. In TSO's styleset it will be red.

Here is an example of how it works:

This is <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>ing cool.

AmazonBabe
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:01:36 PM
Thanks Ogies. :)

I also liked what Gouyan brought up about the word a$$. Can it be taken into consideration?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:04:13 PM
I will consider it, but not immediately due to some disagreements that were had in OOC regarding it and its use in a derogatory manner. Bitch has yet to be used in such a manner in OOC therefore it is not on the censored word list. But when questionable words are used to demean others it goes on my blacklist quick.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:23:36 AM
I think it should change all curse words to a non curse word which is randomly selected

I.E. This is F**king Cool changes to this is Pooping Cool.

And WOW! It makes it sound funny!

Lady Vader
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:01:36 PM
So... instead of saying bull$hit, we say cowpie? :p

Also, I just noticed this now, but I didn't know the swear filter also carried over into PMs. Isn't that a bit... I dunno... over the top?

TheHolo.Net
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:11:49 PM
It has always been that way. There is no seperate option for censorship in PMs.

Lady Vader
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:15:32 PM
Oh, ok. Just happened to notice it now, I guess (boy I'm slow :lol).

Cherice St_Hilare
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:39:37 PM
If we were all mature and just swore once in awhile to make our point clear, I'd like the swear filter taken off. However, there are some immature people that browse the boards and well ... you get the point.

I am, however, glad that SWFans/Ogre changed it to just 'censored', instead of DO-NOT-SWEAR-, because that just irks me.

Dea Potentia
Nov 15th, 2002, 04:42:42 AM
We had/have a swear filter? why didn't any one tell me? and in responce to cold
but if it's used to swear and INSULT someone it's not such a good idea. Inu Aku insulted me quite thoroughly even with the filter on... but I say it's just a show of his character... or lack of. I've never had any problem with the filter... so as long as everybody else is happy I'm happy....