PDA

View Full Version : Doug Chiang leaves Star Wars!

JMK
Oct 31st, 2002, 10:49:13 AM
From dchiang.com:

First, I regret to say that I've officially resigned from Star Wars. It was a very difficult decision since I've been with the Lucas companies for over 13 years with nearly seven of those years dedicated solely to Star Wars. After my work was completed on Episode II, I started taking on other opportunities to stretch and push my skills. Those opportunities eventually became too exciting and wonderful to turn away. However, if my schedule allows I'm hoping to contribute some designs for Episode III

So he may get some final designs in for Episode 3, but does anyone think that this isn't a good thing for Lucas & co? It's mainly Chiang's designs that we see in Episode 1 & 2. Sure they have lots of talented artists there, but IMO this is a big blow to their art department...

darth_mcbain
Oct 31st, 2002, 01:17:52 PM
I had heard a rumor about that a few months ago, but it looks like it is now official. Yes, it is a blow to Lucasfilm IMO. I think they'll do just fine without him, but his designs were really great for the first two episodes.

Jedieb
Nov 1st, 2002, 10:01:35 AM
Wow, that's pretty big news. I'll always wonder how different EP3 would have looked if Chiang had been working on it heavily. I still think the designs will look wonderful, but we won't be getting the exact same thing because a different artist will be drawing them.

JMK
Nov 1st, 2002, 10:27:52 AM
Things obviously will be different, but I wonder if we will even notice, or even care?

Doc Milo
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:59:44 PM
I doubt we'll even notice. I mean, it's Star Wars, and it has a certain look and feel, and the next artist will make his or her designs fit that look and feel. Will they be the same as what Chaing would have done? Probably not. But we won't notice because we won't know what Chaing would have done.

darth_mcbain
Nov 1st, 2002, 01:10:48 PM
Even if Doug doesn't actively contribute in Ep. III, I bet there are still plenty of designs that he's done for the first two episodes that weren't used or were deferred to be used later. We may yet see some of his previous work, or at least it might be used as a basis for the work of the next artists.

Hart
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:12:59 PM
This is horrible :(. Hopefully the team's creativity doesn't suffer too much.

JMK
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:57:40 PM
Well he did say that if his schedule permitted he would get some designs in there. But I'm certain that many of the designs that are to be in Episode 3 are already done. I don't know if we'll see that many more worlds. If we are, the Alderaan would have to be one of them and I'm sure that some designs have already been done for it. Plus, things have to go from where they are now to the OT. It's not like the designers will be plucking their stuff out of mid-air.