PDA

View Full Version : Tuck Everlasting

Hart
Oct 30th, 2002, 09:11:04 PM
I went into the movie having no clue what the movie was going to be about. It was cute, but not worth a dime to see.

THe movie's set in the early 1900's and it follows the daughter of a very wealthy family when she ran away from her home and was taken by a mystical family in the woods who didn't want her to go back and betray their secrets. So they kept her with them.
She learns to love the son in the woods family and yadda yadda waterfall kiss yadda yadda running in the fields, etc, etc.

Well, there's also a guy out there that's hunting down the family to get their secrets to sell it to high bidders and make a fortune. That was the highlight of hte movie, in my opinion.

Well, it was okay, and some tear-jerking moments, but no thumbs up.

JMK
Oct 30th, 2002, 09:47:45 PM
Who tricked you into seeing that one? Did you lose a bet? ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:47:21 PM
I sort of wanted to see that, but...no money to see ANYthing. Just as well. :D

JMK
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:50:18 PM
No moolah for AotC Imax?????? o_O

Hart
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:39:19 PM
nah, my ladyfriend wanted to watch it, and I'm way to whipped to disagree.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:47:22 PM
I know it was a children's book written about 20-30 years ago, still I have no interest in seeing this film.

Hart
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:48:47 PM
Yeah. Neither did I :)

James Prent
Oct 31st, 2002, 01:36:14 AM
AOTC IMAX! :cry

Leeloo Mina
Oct 31st, 2002, 07:35:16 AM
*:cry's with James*

I've read about this movie.. no intrest in it.. I still need to see Red Dragon and Ghost ship..

JonathanLB
Oct 31st, 2002, 08:03:43 AM
Ghost Ship is nothing worth watching at all unless you were just born, lol (then maybe you wouldn't notice the million cliches; Ebert is right: 2 stars).

Tuck Everlasting was a good film. I wanted to see it from the beginning because it had a great trailer and it's an intriguing story, but it wasn't a great film. Merely good. It meanders a good deal and has a rather lame ending (nobody would give up eternal life who was even halfway intelligent, and if they would, they're too stupid to warrant a movie!).

Leeloo Mina
Oct 31st, 2002, 08:17:49 AM
Yeah, I read the reviews and I expect that it's good. But what else am I going to do?

Then again, maybe I'll get lucky or something.. I thought the ring was going to kick --- but it didn't, I was rather disapointed..

I havent seen Tuck, and I don't want to.. when I first read the title, I thought of Tom and Huck ^_^;

And.. on a side note, I wouldn't want to live forever.. anyone who would, probaly hasn't thought it through.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:11:41 PM
Yes! Huck Finn :D

And read Gulliver's Travels, he visits a land where there are people who live forever. Quite boring, if you ask me.

JMK
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:21:51 PM
Living forever would suck. Eventually, you would get way too bored. Life is too short, but immortality is not the answer!

Hart
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:31:56 PM
Exactly. I would never want immortality. That would bore the heck out of me.

Leeloo Mina
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:31:06 AM
I agree.. and you'd have to watch everyone around you die. :cry

JMK
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:39:31 AM
Yeah, and imagine in like, year 3367 when you have to tell people that you had to drive everywhere, and that movies like Star Wars dominated the landscape! :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 1st, 2002, 11:52:51 AM
It wouldn't be so bad, if you had a "special friend" who lived forever too.

JMK
Nov 1st, 2002, 12:04:56 PM
Why the quotes around special friend? :p

JonathanLB
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:13:39 AM
I think you're all full of bantho poodoo, don't take that the wrong way or anything, and I'd love to talk about it more, but you must be crazy! I say that in a teasing way, not to suggest you are wrong, but that I cannot understand what you are talking about. :)

"And.. on a side note, I wouldn't want to live forever.. anyone who would, probaly hasn't thought it through."

Umm, haha, speak for yourself. I have thought it through, took about 5 seconds, ok 1 second, and I came up with the logical answer. Not to say I've not thought it through more than that, but my initial response in 1 second was the same as my response after thinking "hard" about it or whatever.

I don't care about all of the people around me dying, that's a dumb reason for not wanting to live forever. Ultimately, you can still make new friends, and you can meet wonderful new people, so even if you lived forever, you'd just have this great opportunity to have so many friends and people you know. I mean, would it be sad to lose your friends over and over? Well of course it would be, but it would be much worse to lose yourself. After all, you are all that you have ultimately. People are unreliable. You are not. At least, I'm not, I can count on myself. I keep my promises, I meet most of my goals, I evaluate and re-evaluate what I am doing and make decisions on that, and I'm in charge. But with other people, you think they are your friends, and they do things to prove they are not. I had more faith in people before a year ago, and now I have lost most of my faith in the idea of friendship. There are a few individuals who make great friends. I am one of those people because I truly value the idea of friendship and the idea that you should never ignore your friends or give up on them, but I don't seem to be in the majority there. Most people are very self-serving. If it's not convenient for them to be your friends, they just stop acting like a friend and you feel bad about it to no fault of your own.

Or with my friend Bryan, he gets a girlfriend, I never see the guy anymore. It's funny because I'm not so naive and not so silly that I believe this is a particularly rare situation or that it's unique to the last few decades or some nonsense. This happens all of the time, and all generations have this same problem, my dad said the same thing 5 years ago before I knew what the hell he was even talking about, but I listened to what he said and took it to heart because I assumed he was probably right about such matters. He's a smart guy, wrong sometimes of course, but has a lot of valuable things to say. Well one time Bryan was just joking, last August (2001) actually, and he said, "No offense but if I had a girlfriend I probably wouldn't see you more than once a month." I took that comment extremely seriously for several reasons. First, I was already in a shaky emotional state at that particular point. Second, Bryan was a rare case of a guy who should have had a girlfriend in high school and somehow did not. I'm not gay and I think guys are gross, but he's a good looking guy. I mean, he's 6'4", he is like 180 pounds, a total health nut, doesn't drink or smoke, at the time played basketball 3-4 hours a day, and of course, he was my friend, so he is nice and a fun guy in general. In other words, when he said, "If I had a girlfriend..." I knew it was only a matter of limited time before that became in the present and not in the conditional or hypothetical. Third, I knew that what he was saying was true, and that he probably wouldn't have time for me.

Needless to say, that comment haunted me for weeks and I discussed it with a few other "friends," just sort of vented about my frustration with him saying that, and two months later it came true in part (he had a girlfriend, but I wasn't in the state anyway so I wasn't really able to hang out of course), then the next summer, it was all true, we hardly ever hung out. Now, during college, same thing.

I had four friends from high school, all girls, who I was becoming better friends with in each case and had invested considerable time and emotions into the relationships and I really liked these people, but for different reasons in each case, I got blown off four times. I made the final moves to end all four relationships essentially by deleting these people from my contact lists and not calling, e-mailing them, or anything like that anymore, because I felt I'd rather have 0 relationship than poor ones. Since then, I have regained casual contact with them but I just obviously do not care at all anymore.

So, all of that is a detailed attempt to explain why I don't particularly think you can value friendship above your own self. I mean, protect #1 first, that's what I have to say, and it may sound selfish, but I think people are unreliable so you should be careful who you give your attention to and who you invest emotional well-being into. I still have a few good friends, like Sean and Ben, and other than that, I guess all I have is my family.

I always very much liked the idea of the friendship you see in some movies, the buddy movie type of thing, where you have Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, always together, going on these grand adventures. Or you have other friends who are always together and that's just that, they are true friends, nothing can separate them. Then again, there are a lot of things I like about Hollywood and movies that aren't true in real life, unfortunately. In my experience, it seems that friends just come and go, and that ultimately people are seeking a significant other and a defined set of goals that may include a specific career path or hobby or what have you. For instance, let's say that I am trying to be a filmmaker (and to a lesser extent an author and film critic), well of course in time I'd like to find a significant other, that's a natural want I think you could say. Then you have someone else like Bryan who wants the same thing, only for a career path he is undecided, maybe wants to be in advertising. Our two paths cross, by chance, in high school, and we become friends as long as our paths are intertwined, but once that bond disappears then all bets are off.

Once I left my first school, Catlin, I lost all of my friends from there. First there was Dan, left in 5th grade to Hawaii, we weren't friends anymore. My best friend Clay was a freak, he left in 6th grade, and after a year we never saw each other again. When I left after 8th grade, I never saw any of my friends from there again except Gabe, who left with me to J-High, and after a year we were hanging out with different people or doing different things, or in my opinion he ditched me, and I never was friends with him again, although he came up a few times senior year.

After high school, a few people who I was just casual friends with I've now no longer seen or talked with even, and when I went to LMU, I felt like I was losing my friends from high school and making new ones was very hard. I became friends with Juan and still talk to him down in Los Angeles (he drove up to visit in the summer), but the point is, I believe that as your path moves towards some defined goal, and other people's paths diverge from yours, the friendships never work.

I like the saying that friendship lasts forever, but it doesn't unfortunately. It seems truly fleeting, and that is depressing. It leads to the conclusion that you must find one true friend, basically (i.e.) a significant other, and even then, 50% of marriages fail, the ones that don't fail are often troubled, so what are the true odds you will really not feel "alone" in some way?

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying you better be happy with yourself, because seriously that is what you have. If you're not happy by yourself, if you are not a happy person even when just alone, then you are going to have it difficult I think. That's a tough idea considering that humans need contact with other people (this is pretty much a proven fact; like how babies who are ignored as far as love in some cases die and in almost all cases face health problems).

As for everlasting life, you are darn right I'd take that in a second without any thought otherwise. My biggest fantasy would be to be totally invincible, never age past 20 or 25 or so, and those conditions would lead to other inevitable facts (if I am invincible, I don't need sleep because a total lack of sleep could kill a person, and I cannot be killed, and I wouldn't need to eat, because I couldn't starve, and I wouldn't need to breathe because I couldn't die of lack of oxygen, etc.). That would be the best thing ever. Even if I was floating in space after the Earth blew up for 4 billion years before a shuttle from another planet spotted me, I'd rather be alive and in space than dead and just gone. It's simple really. "To be or not to be, that is the question." To be, that is the answer!

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:28:07 AM
What if you lived forever..but didn't stay young?!?! :eek You just kept getting older..and more wrinkled...and crone-ish.... :x

You'd look like Charlie's grandparents in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator!!! :eek

:lol

JonathanLB
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:17:19 PM
haha, good point.

Well you couldn't keep looking older, that'd be bad.

I think I could combine everything into a single wish: indestructible person who never ages a day past 25. Now that would rock.

Now where is that fountain of youth....

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2002, 05:19:09 PM
They used to think it was in Florida, but there are so many old people in Florida, I doubt that's true. :)

Leeloo Mina
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:22:53 PM
:lol@LD Nah, I think the miami-boys are still getting older, too.. ;)

JonathanLB
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:17:39 AM
That is funny about Florida, obviously the old people must think it is there too! ...and it obviously must not be because they keep dying ;)

Leeloo Mina
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:07:03 AM
It's probaly hidden in some state no one thinks of..

Like missouri! ;)

Jedieb
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:54:04 AM
"There can be only one!"

If the key to immortality lay in the ability to chop off your rivals heads then it wouldn't be such a bad deal. You wouldn't get bored and eventually you'd get the prize and be able to grow old and have children. Barring really bad sequels involving the planet Zeist, I'd take immortality on those terms. But I'd want a cool Scottish accent. Without the accent to act like a chick magnet then the whole deal's off.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:12:10 AM
Oh my gawd, if you have the accent and could chop people's heads off, being immortal would totally be worth it!!

Plus, its true, you DO get all the chicks with a scottish accent. Of course, looking like Adrian Paul doesn't hurt. ;)