PDA

View Full Version : The Swear Filter

Nupraptor
Oct 30th, 2002, 01:29:50 PM
I'm sorry to intrude in this forum, since I don't normally have access here, but it seemed like the most appropriate place to post this.

After receiving numerous requests in the past few days, I've found a way which (I believe) will allow us to disable the swear filter in certain forums. I'm going to be doing this for TBH and TSO, currently, and I'd like to know if the administration of the GJO would like to have it disabled here.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 30th, 2002, 02:11:03 PM
I'ld love to see it disabled

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 30th, 2002, 02:47:04 PM
um ... but, eventhough the group forums are not part of the main board in sense of rules and regs on certain things, this whole board is suppose to be family friendly... dontcha think getting rid of the filters might be a bad thing?

Nupraptor
Oct 30th, 2002, 03:02:38 PM
Well, our official stance has been that we let the group boards be run seperate from the main board. There are already plenty of things which we would not necessarily allow at SWFans which are allowed at the group boards.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 30th, 2002, 05:02:15 PM
That was one of the conditions of GJO moving to here - policy independance.

Do have a few debate points pros and cons, but been awake for nearly 60 hours and I'm hazy. Will post after sleep

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2002, 05:22:00 PM
It may be a wiser choice to only disable it in restricted access (private) forums. I am very close to perfecting the hack that will allow us to do such thing easily. As it is right now, it is disabling censored text in PM message bodies, and that being a SWFans system, I need to work out that small bug still.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 30th, 2002, 05:28:27 PM
I brought this up since I'd like to see it gone in TBH's private forum. 'side from that I don't mind it.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2002, 05:39:29 PM
And a note: This hack will not be recursive, meaning that previous posts that had words censored, will still have those words censored even if the forum is switched to not censor words. It will only affect posts made after the setting is changed....after I get the bugs out of the hack.

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:12:56 PM
I know but I was just bringing it up that a lot of public swearing won't look good, private board or not.... Just the potential for abusing the filter gone is unimaginable.

having the swear filter off in private forums is a good compromise tho :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:17:04 PM
The hack is pretty bug ridden, not sure if it can be implemented or not. I will try to work on it some more tomorrow, but at this point I am uncertain if it can be used at all and not affect other forums where the censor is enabled. Post titles are the sticking point now.

EDIT: oooo, I had a breakthrough and have editpost working with titles and edit reason censoring when supposed to and not censoring when not supposed to. Now all I have left to fix is post titles in newreply. :)

Might get this done tonight actually. :)

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:37:12 PM
I have added the hack and turned the swear filter off in this forum. Test it out at your leisure.

Morg: As for deactivating it at TBH in HoS, have LD, Taylor, and Hob contact me with their similar approval and I will turn it off in there too.

That fucking hack took some work! :x But its done. :)

Morgan Evanar
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:40:26 PM
Fuckin A!

TheHolo.Net
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:56:23 PM
I made the hack so it would not censor post tiles (points at title of this post) in replies, new threads or in the edit reason string either in forums where it is disabled, but swearing in signatures remains censored board wide, though images with swear words can only be filtered by moderators and administrators. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:43:28 AM
Fuck shit piss

Nice hack :D

Master Yoghurt
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:33:54 PM
Some might not be aware of it, but GJO originally had the swear filter off for an extended amount, if not most of the time when we were at ezboard. Eventually though, ezboard enabled the swear filter by default. We rarely had any problems with it. It could even be argued having the word filter off educated our members being more conciderate in how they worded their posts.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 31st, 2002, 01:51:58 PM
We initially opened Fans on vB with the censor turned off, but in less than a month’s time had to enable it because of the lack of maturity from a few.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 31st, 2002, 06:02:12 PM
I think the swear filter was more regarded as a joke when GJO was at Exboard - most of the filtered words were like Titanic and Itala. Can we add Exboard to the swear filter?

^_^

AmazonBabe
Oct 31st, 2002, 06:10:33 PM
:lol @ Marcus.

I for one like the idea of having the swear filter off. I'm not gonna go around swearing up a storm mind you... it's just nice to know the freedom is there.

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 31st, 2002, 10:17:48 PM
I was just bringing up a point :p I don't mind it being off

Nupraptor
Oct 31st, 2002, 11:11:41 PM
In the locked forums, then?

Xazor Elessar
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:38:09 PM
I think that it should be off throughout the whole of the GJO....as long as it's not abused. If it's abused, a mod or admin should step in and correct the situation....but it's nice for a Bounty hunter character to be able to say, "Oh fuck....I just missed 'em!" or whatever the hell you want! :lol I have a rough character who just became a Jedi and he's trying to learn how to speak better because every other word he used to say was fuck or what have you. Now he's correcting that and he is trying not to swear a ton...and when I write with this particular character, I can't find ways to make the words look decent..... :( I need to get the point across of his roughian ways and stuff, but the swear filter is blocking me from doing so. :( I think it should be throughout the whole GJO.......

TheHolo.Net
Nov 1st, 2002, 08:36:39 PM
A member of TSO brought up a very good point of which I have read before on a couple of other SW RP boards not related to ours.
I think swearing should be disabled, because swearing is something you don't see in Star Wars, EVER. If Lucas doesn't use them, we shouldn't...........Why should we limit our imaginations and restrict ourselves to common curse word slang when the model to which we mold our RP after never did? There are plenty of imaginative ways to have the same effect without using such obscene language. Like frell being a substitute for fuck or dren being a substitute for shit.

I think that very statement (Lucas had no common swear words in the movies why should we in RP?) is what had a lot to do with my suggestion that the filter only be disabled in limited access (private) forums.

Navaria Tarkin
Nov 1st, 2002, 09:31:18 PM
Private only IMO

TheHolo.Net
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:15:11 PM
As an FYI (for your information) the censor has recently been hacked by me yet again. Now instead of the replacement text appearing in place of each character in a censored word, the censor text only appears once, and has a smaller font size and takes on the “hovercolor” of whatever style a person is viewing the forums with. Now any censored word will look like this.

<smallfont color=#33CCFF>-Censored-</font>

Xazor Elessar
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:55:29 AM
Can we swear in here still? :lol I am soooooo confuzzled!

Morgan Evanar
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:15:40 PM
Fuckity fuck fuck fux?

Marcus Telcontar
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:01:53 PM
Well fuck me, good fucking hack