PDA

View Full Version : LOTR: The Two Towers

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2002, 12:32:59 PM
This is the EA game based on the movie, I saw it in Walmart yesterday. The graphics look real cool and I am thinking about getting it. Has anybody here played it?

Nupraptor
Oct 29th, 2002, 12:35:15 PM
Well... the TTT game looks like it's better than the FOTR game. I heard that 60% of the game content is actually from FotR and only about 40% is from TTT.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2002, 12:37:23 PM
I heard it was split but didn't know how much. I also read that if you beat the game you can replay it as a secert character, have no clue which one (maybe Gandalf?)

JMK
Oct 29th, 2002, 05:40:46 PM
So there's 2 LOTR games out there on PS2? :huh

Figrin D'an
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:45:48 PM
Originally posted by JMK
So there's 2 LOTR games out there on PS2? :huh

Yup.

"The Fellowship of the Ring" game is based soley on Tolkien's text.

"The Two Towers" is based on the New Line/Peter Jackson films.

Two games, made independantly of one another, by different companies... one got the license to make a game of the films from New Line... the other got the gaming license from Tolkien Enterprises directly to make a game of the book.

JMK
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:48:28 PM
So the FOTR game just follows that book, or does it go all the way to ROTK?

And the TTT game just encompasses FOTR and TTT, right? Meaning we should expect ROTK sometime next year?

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:51:09 PM
Well with the FOTR game I think that one only covers the first book, I think they are planning on putting the rest of them out depending on how this one does. The movie version I think is going with ROTK next year (I think), the movie version so far looks better, I will probably rent to see if I am interested in buying it.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Oct 29th, 2002, 11:34:20 PM
The Crappy one follows the book. The one by EA games is going to be good though.

Severen Morkonis
Oct 30th, 2002, 01:19:52 AM
TTT IMO looks alot better.

Figrin D'an
Oct 31st, 2002, 12:29:53 AM
I picked TTT up tonight... I've played it for about an hour and a half so far, but I'm going to put more time into it before I really put up a full review, of course. Suffice to say, some quick opinions.

- Pretty good graphics... not the best, but still quite good.

- Gameplay is good, but it takes a little bit of time to get used to... I'm still trying to figure out how to effectively target an enemy, and us the parry/block feature in conjuction with the various attacks... sometimes, there is so much going on at once, it's difficult to make concise, accurate attacks.

- Missions play out just like the film... the game actually starts with the exact same prologue as the film (not a crappy "emulation" either... the actual film prologue, DVD quality and all)... it flows pretty much just like the film, until the Last Alliance... then, in mid shot, it changes to game action, and you take on the role of Isildur and start hacking your way through the droves of orcs (it's like the tutorial for the rest of the game). So far, I've played through that, Weathertop, the Road to Moria, and Balin's Tomb... film cuts are spliced in between the missions.

- LOTS of extras... you have to earn most of them by gaining levels, completing missions, etc... interviews with Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom and John Rhys-Davies, screen caps from the films, some "secret missions" to play, and even a "secret character" to use once you finish the game with at least one primary character (you can play each mission, by default, as either Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli)

- The leveling up system is okay, but it seems almost impossible to really get a top score on any mission... I guess that is part of challenge... needless to say, that should help with the replay value.

More to come...

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 31st, 2002, 06:14:39 PM
What? Cant play as the Hobbits? That's not cool!

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 9th, 2002, 08:17:03 AM
... Is there a demo about of this?

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:28:13 PM
I hadn't seen one yet though they might be releasing one, I think they are relasing the computer version next, I think.

Lady Vader
Nov 15th, 2002, 11:42:02 PM
Unfortunately, the only way I may be able to play TTT will be if I rent a PS2 or X-Box (I heard the PS2 version will be coming out shortly, with the X-Box version to follow a month or so after).

I also heard somewhere down the line (though I don't know how legit it is), that EA Games has canceled the PC version (why, I couldn't begin to fathom).

They made FOTR for all three: PC, X-Box, and PS2. But then I heard they were in the process of making TTT for all three, when the PC version was cut.

I do hope it's not true, as it leaves me with only one game, and not the whole trilogy. Kinda sucks.

And in a way, they'd be losing money if they DIDN'T make the PC version. I mean, take me for instance: I have enough money to buy myself a $50 game. But I don't have enough to buy a $200 console AND a $50 dollar game. So would they rather I buy something or nothing at all? (And I'm sure I'm not the only one with this kind of story.)

I dunno... just doesn't make any sense to me why they'd bother to make the first game for all three gaming stations, but decide, "Oh gee, let's not do the rest for the PC."

I'm still praying they come out with the TTT for PC so I can enjoy it too. :)

imported_Lance Stormrider
Nov 16th, 2002, 12:30:00 PM
Ahh I think I'm gonna go pick it up right now. Anyways there's nothing good that I haven't finished left on PS2.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:43:48 PM
I got it for Christmas and the game is really cool, I love seeing the movie combined with the game. I have one question who is the secert character that you can unlock? I am hoping its Gandalf.

Jedieb
Dec 27th, 2002, 04:10:37 PM
I was thinking of picking up FOTR. But after hearing some of your comments I'll probably go with TTT because of its connection to the film. But I'm waiting until it gets discounted. I've still got Clone Wars on my wish list.

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:12:47 PM
I was unimpressed with TTT. I found it to be little, if anything, more than a novelty game cashing in on booming business. Novelty in the strictest sense, as with Spiderman, which I bought myself before testing! >_<

You play for a bit and think "Wow! I'm playing 'The Two Towers' The Game!" And "Wow! Those graphics are cool!" Or "Wow! I'm kicking <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>!"

Now I think: "Wow! My thumbs are sore from slamming these buttons furiously!" and "Wow! This is feeling a little repetitive" or "Wow! This is losing it's appeal already!"

The controls aren't confusing, but the gameplay really is lacking. It is a highly-polished, money-making lazy cow. But that's my opinion of it.

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 27th, 2002, 08:15:50 PM
However, they are making a RTS which I believe is, like TTT, based on New Line's productions entitled "The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring". There may be hope yet.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:25:12 PM
Well I liked the repetiveness but that is me. :p Also I found out that the hidden character is Islidur now that is crap, you play him in the first level how could he be called a hidden character??

JMK
Dec 27th, 2002, 11:43:22 PM
It is repetitive, but that's what makes it fun. Where else can you chop up hundreds of orcs? I'm enjoying the reckless carnage!

Loki Ahmrah
Dec 28th, 2002, 08:52:09 AM
Yoda: "You are wreckless!"

Well go then! Enjoy your wreckless carnage but once it's lost it's appeal to come crying to me! :p

Alpha
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:43:35 PM
:) the game is fun. :D Nuff said. :) though I do like how they put in scenes from the LOTR DVD. :D

Morgan Evanar
Dec 29th, 2002, 02:38:33 AM
And in a way, they'd be losing money if they DIDN'T make the PC version. I mean, take me for instance: I have enough money to buy myself a $50 game. But I don't have enough to buy a $200 console AND a $50 dollar game. So would they rather I buy something or nothing at all? (And I'm sure I'm not the only one with this kind of story.)

Not many people have enough oomph on their PC to play a modern game, because the fact of the matter is that vendors are looking at their bottom line, and Joe Buying from Dell doesn't know the difference between a Geforce 2 MX and a Radeon of any sort.

Furthermore, you have to test the PC version about 30x as much, if you want a mostly bug free release. Why?
Well, I could have a VIA, intel, SiS, Nvidia or ALi chipset. Could have a video card with a chip from ATi, Matrox, NVidia, SiS, or ImgTech. Sound? Well, might be sticking to Aureal, or using built in from VIA, intel. Maybe I have a Turtle Beach, Hercules, Creative Labs or Philips. For Windows I could be running 95 (A, B, C), 98, (FE and SE), 2000 (non patched, service packs 1-3) and XP (pro, home, service pack applied?).

Lady Vader
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:07:50 AM
Then it just boils down to one thing: Programers are getting lazy.

Sad, really. :\

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:41:27 AM
Try programming, and then talk about programmers being lazy.

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:59:47 PM
I rented this game last night, and I couldn't put it down. This is a nice game. I love the graphics, and the gameplay.

AmazonBabe
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:26:28 PM
I don't program. But I know of two very eligible guys who LOVE to program (and they tend to agree with me that progamers are getting lazy). Hell, their dream is to start a company and make games (and they're trying to rope me into doing the graphics for said games... that'd mean more schooling, specifically in 3D art classes and such :x)

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:31:28 PM
I went to school to get a degree in computer programming, but changed half way through. I found it to be very boring, so I went into Computer/Business Administration. I am better suited to this aspect, but I still take classes on Computer Repair.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:05:18 PM
My biggest problem the game is too easy I beat it in two weeks.

GraNi NaColu
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:29:11 PM
You're right Carr. The gameplay on it is nice, but it just isn't challenging enough. I love the fighting, but it could be harder. Oh well, I still think its a good game.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:56:45 PM
I do too the graphics are awesome I wish it was a little more of a challenge though.

JMK
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:24:18 AM
I'm only at the Westfold, but I can honestly say that I've probably played for a total of 3-4 hours and gotten halfway through. :\

Oriadin
Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:41:02 AM
Im still waiting for the game to come out on GC.