PDA

View Full Version : aDSL-Static IP with NAT or Numbered Block of IPs?

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:40:32 AM
I figured I should post this subject in the gaming forum because if I have a 384kbps upload, then i'll be able to use my server box in the other room for dedicated BF1942 hosting or whatnot.

Anyhow, I finally found an ISP (Covad (http://www.covad.com)) which will give me an ADSL 1.5mbps down/384kbps up connection for a reasonable price ($69.95/month), instead of my current Comcast Cable 1.5mbps down/128kbps up for $44.99/month. This isn't Florida, and $69.95/month is a good price for that speed, considering all the other guys are offering it for $94.99/month (I know, I've checked-extensively.

I'm stumped, however, on the IP configuration of the service I want. Here's my options:

_________
Static IP with NAT (253 private IPs)

Network Address Translation (NAT) is an Internet Standard that allows your local network to use private IP addresses that are not publicized on the Internet.

Using NAT, Covad includes in your service a mix of static and dynamic addresses, for a total available pool of 253 IP's.

This is the most flexible solution for small business users, and is highly recommended unless you are using one of the following:
VPN, firewall, or similar security measure
Video conferencing
Multiple hosted servers of the same type (e.g. 2 email or 2 web servers)
Applications such as PC Anywhere that require outside connections to the LAN

Total Usable IP Addresses:

5 IPs - $0 setup / $10 monthly

DHCP Allocation: You can select either static or dynamic IP addresses out of the total above. DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) allows IP addressing information to be dynamically assigned by a server to clients (PCs or other devices) on an as-needed basis. IP addresses for your network are stored in a pool of available IP addresses, which are allocated when a computer on the network boots up. The DHCP server functionality is built into the router which comes with your broadband service.

Out of your Total IP Allocation, please enter the number of addresses that you would like in your DHCP pool.
DHCP Pool Size:
(there is a box here where you enter your DHCP pool size)

Now, I want to know if I can get the Static IP with NAT, because it's cheaper, whereas Numbered Block would jump the price up to $79.95/month. I have a 4-port D-Link router, which I've been using to split the cable connection to WALTER1, WALTER2 (Server box/Misc use), WALTER3 (1997 macintosh good for nothing POS) and DIVX (DivX box/dedicated multimedia output). What worries me is this line:

This is the most flexible solution for small business users, and is highly recommended unless you are using one of the following:
VPN, firewall, or similar security measure
Video conferencing
Multiple hosted servers of the same type (e.g. 2 email or 2 web servers)
Applications such as PC Anywhere that require outside connections to the LAN

Now, would the router counteract these apparent limitations in the Static IP with NAT package? Whenever I need to open up a new port for file sharing, remote assistance, audio conversations, etc I just go into my router setup and it works straightaway.

Can I safely get the $69.95/month package?

P.S.-My neighbor had DSL for a few weeks, and dumped it because he said he was getting static or hissing or something on his phone line whenever he was using the DSL connection. Is this common?

Thanks guys, hope I can get that fancy new connection soon, it'll definitely make file sharing/game hosting practical. FINALLY. :)

Nupraptor
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:10:32 AM
My neighbor had DSL for a few weeks, and dumped it because he said he was getting static or hissing or something on his phone line whenever he was using the DSL connection. Is this common?When he got his DSL installed, he should have gotten Microfilters to place on the phonejacks, which prevent this. I've had no such problem, and have had my ADSL for years now.

I reccomend looking into the provider yourself: http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1711

What you're quoting sounds just a bit pricey to me. But then, I have no intentions of trying to host games with on a DSL connection.

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:49:43 AM
Of course it's pricey. Maryland != Florida. This is the cheapest 384kbps up connection in the area.

Thanks for the review link, I'll check with my neighbor to see what the self-install process is like. $199 is a hellish amount to pay for installation, but it might be necessary.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 28th, 2002, 10:22:48 AM
Self install is easy. Plug it in, get line sync, go.

Go with NAT. Its already what you're using.

Hosting anything beyond FTP/Small web serving on 384 is completely unreasonable.

You need a T1 or better to really host a game server. I don't know why everyone here thinks that you can...

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 11:18:16 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
You need a T1 or better to really host a game server. I don't know why everyone here thinks that you can...

Probably 4 or 5 players max.

Morgan Evanar
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:13:13 PM
You could swing six, more if there are people on your side of the LAN. If you could set up one box to play on and one to host you might be able to bump the count to 8.

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 03:55:03 PM
If you could set up one box to play on and one to host

That's the way it's set up now. I'm saying that likely there would only be 4-5 people joining the server simultaneously.

Darth Viscera
Oct 30th, 2002, 07:36:53 AM
I've ordered the aDSL, and the self-install package should arrive in 2 weeks. At that time, if Verizon has done what it needs to do on my line, I'll have a 384kbps upload.

I also completely ditched Comcast, and ordered DirecTV. It'll be $40 cheaper monthly, and I think that my local channels will have better reception (it's antenna quality now), which means better quality Enterprise.

w00t!

~EDIT-New email

We are pleased to inform you that we have confirmed DSL service availability at your address. Your line is scheduled to be prepared for DSL service on November 04, 2002. There is no need for you to be home on this date.

A DSL Installation Kit will be shipped to your address within 24 hours. Once you receive the DSL Installation Kit, you will be ready to complete the installation by following the easy-to-use instructions

Darth Viscera
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:13:55 PM
I received & have installed the equipment, service should start on the 4th when the data line is installed. Anyone else have a ZyXEL Prestige 643?

Morgan Evanar
Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:39:45 PM
No, but they're supposed to be very good DSL modems.

Darth Viscera
Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:45:05 PM
The modem part is fine, but I can't figure out how I should use the 4 port hub that comes built into it. My D-Link is working fine, and it's easy ATM to open a port. I have a bit of a suspicion that port forwarding is harder on this ZyXEL.

Darth Viscera
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:54:24 AM
Presto chango, 1235/324 according to DSLreports' CA test server.

And my phone is working fine :)