PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942 Bashing and honoring

Dark Lord Dyzm
Oct 27th, 2002, 02:15:47 PM
First off, this is an awesome game. The 1st Person shooting does not match the half-life mod Day of Defeat (also WW2) But it makes up for it in the huge levels, the Vehicles, and the overall fun.

Things they need to fix.

1.) Leading a Target. In all other games in about 5 tires, I develop the Zone. Able to hit most Targets at a disctance by leading them. Battlefield lacks this. The only time I have been able to hit a target with Sniper Rifle is if he running right at me, or away, or not moving. The same goes with the other guns. I have to rake the target to make sure I hit him. Even then, it not always works. Then need to improve this, and SOON.

2.) The weakness of the Tank/Ship/Artillery Fire.
Last time I checked, if you fired a Tank Shell Level, it goes farther then 200ft before Crashing back down. This goes with all weapons. I find myself firing into the sky in hopes that I can hit that enemy tank which is 500ft away.

3.) When flying a Bomber, you should be able to hit a button like F9 for the normal planes to get a better view, but a button to switch to bombing view. Able to see what is below you and with crosshairs to bomb targets.

4.)Need to fix Artillery. I have yet to figure out how the hell to fire where the Scouts ask. You right click and you get there view, but then, how do you aim? it gives you two yellow bars, but they are never the correct target and half the time you find yourself shooting in the opposite direction.

Hrolthar Benatoer
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:58:02 AM
The thing i like about this game is to fly a bomber you need to have at least 3 people to do so, same with a tank, and same with a maned gun....this game is the WW2 version of Operation Flashpoint and its awsome...

(Sieken)

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:29:27 AM
1) Yeah, the sniper rifle is utter crap IMHO (either that, or I'm a horrible shot with it). Most of the time, I can't even hit people who are standing still on the first shot. If I do get someone, it's definitely a cause for celebration. And I'm aiming RIGHT AT their chests too!

The flak guns could do with some clarification. Both models seem to have rather obvious sights built specifically for leading a target, but I have no idea how to use them correctly. Instead I just find that I'm running on on-the-fly guestimation, which means that if they turn or dive or climb or pass right over you and out the other side, you have to "recalibrate", go through the process again of figuring out where the flak shell detonates and where the plane is, and use that for aiming.

2) That's why Tigers/Shermans/Chi-has/Wolverines suck, because in the game their guns are so absolutely low velocity that you could shoot a circus freak in the stomach with them, then treat him to a dinner of beans, peanuts and southern spices. However, their is one tank in the game that'll respond in the manner that a tank gun should: the Panzer IV. High-velocity gun, it'll stay straight on its path probably 3x as far as all the others. The only effective tank in the whole pack. Try it.

3)Dive a little when you start your bombing run, which will decrease the area the bomb has to go to hit the target, and stabilize it a bit on its way down. A bomb dropped out of a plane that's climbing is not going to hit its target.

4) There's a vertical bar and a horizontal bar. When you are moving the gun up and down, a faint yellow line will remind you which horizontal and vertical setting you used in your previous shot, and a bright yellow line will show you where you're aiming now. Make a mental note of the location of the faint yellow line and the bright yellow line so you'll know where to aim through trial and error.

There's a crosshair on the artillery view. On the outlying edges of the crosshair, there's an artillery icon. That artillery icon SHOULD BE POINTING TOWARDS THE CENTER OF THE CROSSHAIR. That crosshair controls vertical aiming (left and right). When you fire the gun, the crosshair view will turn into a scout's view that tracks the course of the artillery shell. Wait until the shell hits the target, so you'll know if you're hitting something. Fine tune your vertical settings, and now move on to aiming horizontally.

There's no icon that indicates the exact horizontal position and your own aim, so this is tougher. Fire one shell on a path that you are fairly certain by visual scanning will be fairly short, make a mental note of where it lands, then fire another shell on a path that you're fairly certain will be just as long as the previous shell was short. Use the horizontal and vertical bars to help you with this. Now, project your next shot to be in between your short and long shots, fire, and you should come close to hitting something. Adjust. Fine tune as you fire to adjust for changing conditions.

It's not easy. You can't just jump in, hit a button and annhialate 30 people-nukes and smart bombs haven't been invented yet, remember, so the only smart thing about a bomb is the guy who's aiming it. Basically the only things you can practically hit with artillery are plane campers, ships, slow-moving concentrations of enemy formations and didily squat. It's godawful hard.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Oct 28th, 2002, 04:26:46 PM
It's not easy. You can't just jump in, hit a button and annhialate 30 people-nukes and smart bombs haven't been invented yet

Well, during WW2, the people would give cordinates on the radio, and the guns are at there set cordinates, they can judge the height, and distance in about 10 seconds. (The skilled Artillerty Troops) This does not factor in winds speed and such. But They could factor that in after another 20 seconds.

And about the bombers, I know about the dive bombers and such, I talking about the B-17

Darth Viscera
Oct 28th, 2002, 06:07:25 PM
Yes, I know. Don't try to dive bomb in a B17. Just descend a bit on your bombing run.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Oct 29th, 2002, 11:36:17 PM
why do you think I dive bomb in the B-17? I just saying the Bomber needs Bombing Sights. I going of the radar, in the medium setting. You can miss a person by a lot going that way.