View Full Version : Anyone played Fellowship of the Ring by Surreal?

Darth Viscera
Oct 26th, 2002, 04:52:52 AM
http://www.lordoftherings.com/frame_fellowship_ps.shtml

This game reminds me of Zelda, and is in the Adventure category.

Lobelia Baggins is quite a witch, and apparently goes around hitting little hobbits with her umbrella.

I was caught by a Ringwraith almost right off the bat. The game is frustrating, and after playing it for 5 minutes and living with the frustration, I need a BREAK. It's unwieldy, overly complex, and likely tedious further in.

Then again, if you like complex games like Myst or Zelda, you'll like this game. Me, I need a game which is straightforward, non-creepy and lacking in darkness, and filled with a Thompson submachine gun, plenty of ammunition, and a large group of people who can be identified as "enemies".

I'll try to trudge through another 5 minutes, though. This doesn't speak well of my chances for getting through Star Wars Galaxies, does it?

Darth Viscera
Oct 26th, 2002, 05:05:01 AM
No, it's far too difficult to hide from the Nazgul. They ride up and down across the road at Bag End, and I tried hiding near the old Gaffer's door, but he caught me. I imagine it'll be hard just to get out of the Shire, much less trudge towards the Cracks of Doom! It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step into the road and try to keep your feet, and are run over by a 9 foot tall idiot with skulls on his horse, as though he's some sort of ancient Black Nŭmenorean or Witch-King or something.

Nupraptor
Oct 26th, 2002, 05:19:23 AM
:lol

Sounds like it might be right up my alley. Maybe I'll give it a shot. :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 26th, 2002, 05:53:25 AM
I like the look of the screenshots.

Sigh. PS2 and XBOX. Foiled again.

Nupraptor
Oct 26th, 2002, 05:56:59 AM
and PC.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 26th, 2002, 05:58:04 AM
Oh PHEW.

Well I guess I can ask my previous question then: any demo's floating about?

Darth Viscera
Oct 26th, 2002, 06:01:39 AM
Nope.

And they don't plan on making a demo.

The fools!

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 26th, 2002, 06:02:26 AM
Yuck :|

Oh well, can just go on the Christmas list then :D

Severen Morkonis
Oct 26th, 2002, 06:12:16 AM
Games only rated at 5.2 and the graphics to me look crap to me so ill give it a miss.

Nupraptor
Oct 26th, 2002, 07:28:06 AM
It's a port of the PS2 version, unfortunately. The X-Box FOTR game looked leaps and bounds better, both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Darth Viscera
Oct 26th, 2002, 08:19:08 AM
Yep. Seeing as how it's the only LOTR game for the PC, we just have to make do.

JMK
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:21:04 PM
I imagine it'll be hard just to get out of the Shire, much less trudge towards the Cracks of Doom!

Hopefully it would be a little easier (and funner) in between by using characters likle Strider and Legolas...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:43:28 PM
I think the Two Towers game looks better, but that is just my opinion, I might go out and rent this one just to see how it is.

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 26th, 2002, 08:34:25 PM
There is a Demo availible.... lemme get the link.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=1425

httP://www.theonering.net is the source of all LOTR gaming and movie knowledge :D

Dae Jinn
Oct 26th, 2002, 08:55:49 PM
No, Marcus Q'Dunn, source of LOTR everything :lol

I've seen screens, it looks alright....I never finish games once I start anyways so I'll be giving this a pass...

Figrin D'an
Oct 26th, 2002, 10:46:05 PM
The gameplay on the FOTR game is really poor, IMO. It is a bit more adventure-oriented (ie. Legend of Zelda style, as was mentioned) than the TTT game is supposed to be, but in the instances when there are battles, controlling the characters is horrendous. The load times are terrible as well (PS2 version).

TTT game looks like it could be a bit better. More of 3rd person action fighter... have to try it when it comes out.

I suppose the one advantage to the FOTR game, being that is not associated with the New Line films, is that it remains much more true to Tolkien's text. Still some things missing, but pretty close all in all.

Severen Morkonis
Oct 27th, 2002, 12:45:07 AM
I agree with Fig, the graphics on FOTR just dont cut the mustard with me, and the gameplay looks poor as heck...like i said he game only got 5.2 with that standings...I think they rushed the game so we would go out and by it just after the film was released....

Darth Viscera
Oct 27th, 2002, 05:15:01 AM
http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi?&idtype=demos&database=426&section=downloads&

There's another demo download link, which includes Gigex (=fast).

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 27th, 2002, 05:16:45 AM
Hmm. Will have to take a look at this demo and see what it's like. I'm not really too bothered when it comes to graphics - I play a lot of textbased games and would rather have storyline - so I'll see what the game plays like.

Severen Morkonis
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:23:00 AM
Nope, i dont like it. The Graphics are quite poor and the gameplay is moderate but i dont think i would pay 45 bucks or more to have it in my collection,imust be honest.....i will see whatTTT has to offer however.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:38:10 AM
After having played it I wouldn't say I have a major problem with the graphics. They were smooth and I thought the characters looked quite good. One thing though was that the movement of the lips could have had more attention put into it. In the dialouge sections between Gandalf and Frodo there really wasn't much more than "Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb".

I did like the scenery in the Shire, though it was a bit frustrating on the journey to Weathertop to not be able to jump - as Aragorn. The mines of Moria were alright - always a pleasure to see Gandalf kicking some Orc *** - but this is where it flawed big time for me. The previous open levels had all been big scenes, nothing low roofed or indoors, aside from Bag End. Stepping under a archway in Moria, as the tall Gandalf, lead the camera to go absolutely nuts. This prooved particularly frustrating when I was fighting one Orc and moved back to find Gimli, only to find that during the camera spasm I'd walked off of the edge of a pit.

(Just to clear up what the 'spasm' was, incase people think it could have been the fault of my graphics card... Gandalf walks under archway with camera centered behind him, as archway comes to top of screen the angle of the camera wretches upwards to show only to top of Gandalf's hat, and a more close up view of the stonework. This also happened when killing Orcs, if Gandalf attempted to drive his staff down into their heart.)

I think maybe if that was toggled with a bit - perhaps you can change it in the settings, might have just been how I set it up - it would have been alright. A little slow on progression, but it looks like they're actually trying to make it seem close to how the book runs, so that's understandable.

Ishan Shade
Oct 27th, 2002, 01:31:01 PM
The screenshots look purty....

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:16:27 PM
I was in Walmart and noticed they had the Two Towers Game, I didn't even know it was out yet. Has anybody played it?

Ishan Shade
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:37:19 PM
Thats the game I'm thinking of....the TTT game...now that looks purty!

Morgan Evanar
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:36:37 PM
The demo has issues with my Acoustic Edge. Most games work fine. I'm going to toy with hardware acceleration options when I get back home in a week.