PDA

View Full Version : Night shift sucks

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:03:53 PM
So my company deciced that they were way behind on printing stuff on the presses, so they want to start a night shift. But they needed a graphic artist to be here while the pressman runs the press. So this is the duty I get levelled upon me. 3:30pm- midnight. Not bad hour wise, but its so freakin boring and lonely. I hardly have any human contact all day long since my schedule is opposite everyone else's...there's positive things about it, I get to sleep in, no boss to watch over me...but there are cons to be sure.

Anyone else have these hours in their lifetime?

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:24:10 PM
OH! My work schedule is like that. 9pm-11pm. Once again, not bad hour wise, but no one comes. It's a good thing they let me surf the net and do my homework when there is nothing to do.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:55:07 PM
I'd love for my shift to be 2 hours long! Then I would have the best job!

Mu Satach
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:24:57 PM
:lol

One of my first jobs after high school was a Night Audit clerk for a local motel in a small town. The shift was from 11 PM to 7 AM.

I would get so bored and lonely.

Taylor Millard
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:28:30 PM
THis is why I have AIM up here at the radio station. I've got the midnight to 4:30 shift, but I normally don't get out of the station until 5:30 or so.

But I don't mind it. I'm doing what I love doing so I don't mind the hours. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:06:49 PM
I still work shifts like that (not nearly as late though) in some ways I like it but I hate it too, I be glad when I go back to school so I can escape those hours.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:35:29 PM
Well I just got in. Can't say that I hate it because it's so quiet and I can listen to the hockey game, then the ball game and no one complains. But having opposite schedules from the rest of humanity is sort of lonely. Ah well.

darth_mcbain
Oct 25th, 2002, 06:18:54 AM
We're in a crunch right now at work, so I'm usually working the 6AM - 7:30 PM shift. Stinks - thats a long time... When I get home I only have maybe two hours before I'm totally wiped and have to go to sleep... :zzz :zzz :zzz

So I know what you mean about having sucky hours (although these aren't exactly mandated to me - I was just mandated to make a date, so we have to put in the time to make it...)

Nupraptor
Oct 25th, 2002, 06:25:15 AM
Oh man... working at Blockbuster is like the epitome of a Night Shift. It wasn't uncommon for me to work from 9pm - 5am. Or 6pm - 1am. Or any other ungodly schedule you can think of.

Jedieb
Oct 25th, 2002, 10:55:02 AM
I thought this was a thread about the Henry Winkler, Shelly Long, and Michael Keaton comedy. Boy did that suck!

Let me get this straight, there's no boss, you can sleep on the job, and you don't have any idiot co-workers to deal with? This is a BAD thing?! Sign me up! With a schedule like that I'd probably be able to get out of dozens of household chores! Plus, if you set up a small TV you'll never miss Letterman! Live it up!!!!

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 25th, 2002, 10:56:15 AM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
The shift was from 11 PM to 7 AM.

I would get so bored and lonely.

My first job was working those hours but at a convience store. Always nice to have people come in, buy pop cans to do drugs in (which is what the woman said to me when she was pouring the pop out...) and then come back and ask if you have ever been robbed :lol

JMK
Oct 25th, 2002, 01:01:33 PM
True, there is no boss, but I am left with a stack of crap to do, and if it ain't done, I can't blame distractions cause there aren't any. I thought about bringing in a portable tv, but I would only get 2 english channels, neither of which have anything good on, ever.

JonathanLB
Oct 29th, 2002, 02:57:31 AM
God, the idea of working for someone else at those types of jobs seems funny to me. I mean, having to make excuses for not getting work done should be a high school thing, anyone past college shouldn't be doing that ;)

If I hired people who didn't know how to get things done when I wanted, they'd be out the door so fast.

"I be glad when I go back to school so I can escape those hours."

lol, umm... well whatever you say, but most college students I know work until 2 or 3 a.m. I don't know hardly anyone who has the luxury of going to bed early. I choose to go to bed late because I have my own work to do on my movie site, but other people don't choose -- they just have that much work. Ben is up until 2, 3, 4, 5, or all night commonly. Bryan is up until 3 or 4 all of the time too. Both have 19 credits, the absolute maximum you can take without paying additional tuition (you'd be finished pretty early with 19 credits every term). Technically you don't have class really late, but the hours can be very odd in college, and it's a full time thing instead of just being able to go to work and come back.

I would gladly take a job that lasted 8 hours per day and that was just it -- when I was done, it was over, I could do whatever I wanted. Of course, I have greater aspirations than the normal lousy 8 hour work day (I'd rather have a 12 or 14 hour movie shoot, lol...), but the point is, I mean you are only working 40 hours a week at that rate. That's dang nice. In college right now I probably work like, umm, 30 hours per week to 35 hours per week. It's not hard at all. Other people have 50 hour weeks or so, Ben probably puts in about 60.

My days get all split up and ruined by distractions, homework, and classes. I wish they were all bunched together conveniently, not spread around like a frickin' scattershot.

Next term, I'm putting them all on Tuesday and Thursday with a film lab on Wednesday, maybe a CS lab on Wednesday too, but I'm only taking 13 credits (which will be 16 or 17 hours nonetheless), so I'll just have four day weekends every week. To say that I cannot wait would be a vast understatement. I will do a huge amount of reviewing during that time, I expect it to be really productive. I'm also working on a book that will be able to get my college credit, so I might come out of this year with perhaps 53 credits or so, with 45 being a typical year and 40.5 being all I actually need per year to finish in what I want (4 more years).

Lilya Goldberry, I laughed really hard during that little anecdote, lol.

I always like the night better and I'm not used to "being with a lot of people," so I can deal with loneliness pretty easily and I'd rather drive home at odd hours when nobody else is driving.

I love cruising around at 2 or 3 a.m. when nobody is on the road. I always drive back from Portland to Corvallis after a movie at Tigard Cinemas (slightly closer to Corvallis than my house, about 25 minutes), which ends at 9:20 to 10:00 basically. So far usually about 9:30, so there are not too many cars on the road at that time on a Sunday night going to Corvallis. Allows me to get my car up to 75 or 80 on the interstate anyway, but I'm nervous about getting a ticket even with my Radar.

flagg
Oct 29th, 2002, 05:10:58 AM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I thought this was a thread about the Henry Winkler, Shelly Long, and Michael Keaton comedy. Boy did that suck!

Nuh-uh. I thought it was funny. And it made Keaton a star (which he squandered after he stopped making Batman films, but never mind)

Anyway, I work 9-5 Monday to Friday. Boring, but I get to surf the net and chat to my girl on MSN whenever I want, so it's not all bad :smokin

Jedieb
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:55:35 AM
Yeah, NS wasn't that bad, but look at the title of the thread? Where else could I go? :huh

Sene Unty
Oct 31st, 2002, 01:59:15 PM
Yeah I worked with Nup and Blockbuster sucked. We would work late, but it was always crowded, so it we never had time to surf any net.