PDA

View Full Version : Boston Expos

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:53:01 AM
I read on ESPN, MLB might move the Expos to Boston next season, where they would share Fenway with my Red Sox. I have to think this is a bad idea, they will probably just have as many empty seats as in Montreal, the last Boston team could sell and they actually were winning. Also there are schedulling problems, I just think this is a dumb rumor that some exec is spreading around.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:57:17 AM
On the surface, that may be the most retarded thing I have ever heard. What exactly would be the point of moving the Expos there???

Figrin D'an
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:18:34 PM
Just move the team to DC. It's the most logical choice at this point. They can play at RFK for a season, then MLB can reevaluate things at the end of next season.

Moving them to Boston would kill the Expos and hurt the Red Sox. Stupid, stupid move if it happens.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 01:55:07 PM
Better yet, don't have a firesale, and give the fans a reason to come out in Montreal!:mad

darth_mcbain
Oct 24th, 2002, 03:31:18 PM
Man - that is ridiculous. It is retarded to think they can share the stadium. First off, there are bound to be conflicts when both teams are supposed to play a home game. Second, Fenway Park is firmly ingrained in baseball as the home of the Red Sox. It is one of the greatest stadiums as far as history goes - it is such a bad idea to even think that you could switch up the teams that play there.

Jedieb
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:05:29 PM
That is a horrendous idea. Just stick them in D.C. until a stadium gets built. If they put them in Fenway we all know what will happen. The Expos will shock the world by making it to the WS and winning it all. Poor Red Sox. :mischief

CMJ
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:06:58 PM
If that happened I would cry. ;)

Jedieb
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:09:50 PM
Cubs V. Red Sox, that'd be the greatest WS ever. I can see the ratings shooting through the roof. Especially if there was a Pedro V. Sammy showdown.

CMJ
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:14:57 PM
Seriously..that would be a ratings bonanza. Both squads have loyal fan bases around the country....

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:28:29 PM
If that happened I would cry.

So would I! But probably for different reasons than you!
Maybe its another ploy to endear the likes of Guerrero, Colon, Vasquez, Vidro etc to Red Sox fans in an attempt to pressure Sox management to signing them all! o_O

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:01:26 PM
Its only for a year they say but still a year is too long to do something like that. To me there is only two options keep them in Montreal until you can find a new owner (I am fine with the idea of playing some home games elsewhere) option two is just move them to DC and let them play in RFK at least nobody is playing there. Playing in Boston is just insane, and I don't think the Red Sox brass would even go for it. And Jedieb your too cruel, and if that happen I wouldn't know to laugh or cry.

Taylor Millard
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:09:29 PM
Keep 'em in Montreal. If they keep playing like they had been...they'll be a playoff team in a few years.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:37:56 PM
All they need is for their # 2 and 3 starters to be better than they were in '02 and they will be a real post-season threat. Oh, and get rid of Tatis too.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 25th, 2002, 11:20:37 AM
Well it turns out that the whole thing is not true at least according to league sources

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/298/sports/Expos_plan_does_not_translate+.shtml

I do like the quote at the end looks like Red Sox fans think like what Jedieb said ;)

JediBoricua
Oct 25th, 2002, 12:01:10 PM
According to the local press here, they are in negotiaton to have about 20-25 Expos home games here in San Juan. They are planning to have the series against the Mets, the Cubs and the likes, because they have big followers here, and have plenty of latin players. WE have many dominicans in teh island, so the Cubs will be a hit, and the Mets have Alomar which is one of the greatest second basemen ever, and I think the best Prican player in the bigs, although he had a bad year, change of leagues you know.

So I guess next year they will be the traveling Expos.