PDA

View Full Version : I know we have a lot of other things going on...

Nupraptor
Oct 24th, 2002, 04:38:39 AM
But I am considering adding a Gaming forum under the "General" section of the board. Dyzm keeps bugging me about adding a forum for the upcoming PC game, Star Wars Galaxies, but I don't think it's a good idea to narrow down your focus to just one game. Even "SW Gaming" in general is too narrow a subject to justify its own forum, since there's only 1 or 2 SW games a year. I think a forum for just games in general might do well.

Along with its inception, at least 2-3 mods would have to be appointed for this forum. Since it's my idea, I'd be willing to pick the people for the job. I'm very much against holding a vote for Mod-selection in this forum (at least initially) because I do not want the wrong kind of person selected for the job just because he got all his buddies to vote for him.

If people show interest in it, perhaps it could become another active section of our community. If not, it'll be easy enough to give it the axe.

I'm going to set up a forum for this purpose, but keep it hidden for right now until I can get everything set up. I'd like some feedback on this before I go full-steam ahead.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 24th, 2002, 04:45:31 AM
Its okay by me, but I’ll warn you that any new forums added, will need to have the Force custom prefixes option switched to no, and that by default any private forum added will be accessible by all moderators (including group mods) unless you edit either the permissions for the forum, or their access masks.

It may not be a bad idea to wait another day or two, as I suspect that our move will be happening soon.

Nupraptor
Oct 24th, 2002, 04:51:26 AM
The idea was just for me to mess with a few things, including the possiblity of creating a custom styleset for the forum. It's basically just for my personal testing purposes atm. I'll delete it when I'm done.

TheHolo.Net
Oct 24th, 2002, 04:53:12 AM
If you are planning to make a custom style for it, please do wait till the move occurs. Templates take quite a bit of space in the DB and I am near the limit of being able to back up the DB for transfer to the new host as it is.

DB backup issues are one of the major driving factors in moving to a new host since TB does none and soon I won't be able to either due to space limitations.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 24th, 2002, 04:58:47 AM
I was actually going to suggest such a forum being created in the general category myself, as I see the need for one. It appears to me, the posters on this board are generally interested in gaming and that such forum would prove popular. A couple of weeks ago, I concidered posting a review of BF1942, but in the end did not bother, because I felt it didn't fit in naturally in any of the exisiting forums.

Master Yoghurt
Oct 24th, 2002, 05:07:30 AM
As for the timing of the forum creation, if it is going to cause tecnical complexities, it would probably be better to mess with it after the move to the new host is complete. It probably wont take too long now :)

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:23:02 AM
Permission to move the threads from EU about Gaming?

Nupraptor
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:33:26 AM
Granted. :) All threads about games should be moved to the new forum. Just check the box to send the author a PM about the relocation of their thread.

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 07:38:11 AM
Done them all, from 2 days ago to last post 09-09-99

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 08:48:55 AM
What an efficient group! :D

Master Yoghurt
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:00:04 AM
Scanned 99 pages in the OOC forum :)

Nupraptor
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:09:54 AM
I searched through threads all the way back to the day we opened our doors. :) I think that's pretty good... people should figure out what kind of threads go there by what we've moved there already.

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:40:23 AM
JMK, you say efficient, but there wasnt many in EU :)

Master Yoghurt
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:06:03 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor
people should figure out what kind of threads go there by what we've moved there already.

Yes, I agree. All those threads moved, helps to define what kind of threads fit into there. It is a wider niche than one might think. Also, seeing all those threads proves the need for such a forum. I believe the Gaming Forum will be a great success. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:33:55 PM
I dont think it'll be great due to diversity, but definately a good, solid forum.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 24th, 2002, 02:54:25 PM
:) Looks good to me.

JMK
Oct 24th, 2002, 03:39:22 PM
It may not be the most active forum here, but neither is Films. But I think both are rather necessary. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:47:56 PM
I think its a good addition I can think of many threads to add to it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 25th, 2002, 12:24:21 PM
Maybe SW Galaxies will bring some new posters too. :)