PDA

View Full Version : I been thinking...

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:01:01 AM
You know, I think the boards are bad for me. I'm seriously thinking of hanging up my hat and never RPing, or even visiting these boards again. People on these boards think that because the people on these boards are miles apart, they can disrespect others and that they do not have to ctake into consideration other people's feelings. Maybe I do get offended easily, but if people would take time out and think about who they are dealing with, I would not have a reason to be so easily offended. Everywhere I look all of a sudden, people are cutting down other people, and it's not something that I want to be a part of. Or maybe I'm just depressed. Either way, I really feel worthless recently. On the boards, and IRL. The Sunset on Arcan thread isn;t making it better. Most of these things are not making me feel better. So, until I get it all worked out, or until feel like my feelings mean something to someone on these boards, I will not be posting. I'm not getting much participation in my threads anyway. see you around.

Kirrto McKavity
Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:31:13 AM
take a break, its usually the best thing to do when things get icky.

if you ever want to come back, sure fine.

just dont say "im never gonna go back" cos if you make an effort to not come back then you wont.... but then again, dont make an effort to post if you dont wanna....

basically, effort bad, gut feeling good.

iff you get an urge to come back, please do, cos i for one will miss ya.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:35:15 AM
Thanks. I'll try to post a little after Wednesday. Maybe by then I'll feel better.

Navaria Tarkin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:09:38 PM
Wei, I can understand how you feel. Most of us do at some point in time.

So, Kirrto is right you need some time off :) And I really do hope you feel better. The boards are not as important as your mental health anyway.

Also, sorry for not posting to our thread if that is part of the cause but I have been extremelly busy. One thing that everyone has to accept is that not everyone can be posting all the time. It is impossible to demand someone to post to anything if that player has RL issues or time constraints.

I know you didn't demand anything Wei :) Just saying that sometimes everyone cannot post when you want them to for various reasons.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:13:37 PM
I understand perfectly. I'm going through the same feelings right now with feeling completely worthless, but that's just the depression making you feel that way. If you ever need to talk, I'm always on AIM: LordessHeaven

I'll be glad to help ya out. I'm in the same shoes and sometimes it helps to talk to someone who understands rather than someone that doesn't. *huggles*

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:58:22 PM
Nav, it;s not about you not posting. Take your time with that. I am patient. I just thought that since I was not really active in any posts, I would take a break.

Nemesis
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:22:40 PM
I understand what you're going through Wei, but there are people that care whether or not you stick around and especially if you're happy, like Kindo and me. I hope knowing that we are your friends will also help you out in RL. Feel free to come to us at anytime.

Don't let what people say get to you. I know its hard, but unfortunately inconsiderate people abound in this world.

By all means, take a break. Take as long as you need, we'll still be here when you come back. And remember, it's all just a game. :)

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:14:00 PM
Thanks Nemesis. I appreciate that. TOday is Wednesday, I have talked with the counsellor and I am ready to start this mo up once again! Let's have some fun, people!

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:01:28 PM
If I come off as offensive, it's not my intention, but it's not really my concern either.

I'm not particularly fond of whiny people, and I find it often in message boards somebody will have a bad spell or a brief period of stress, so they'll post something along the lines of how pathetic they are, or how they're feeling so worthless. It's usually the same crap, over and over. And so they announce their 'retirement' or 'break' from the board, to straighten out their life, and then the next day they realize how much they've exaggerated the entire situation and automatically crawl back to the board.

I'm not picking on Wei specifically, so don't think I'm singling you out, but I am picking on you. This type of stuff just makes me laugh, and I had to say something.

Everyone has downtimes, so just deal with it. Don't drag out the situation to something it's not, which is what I'm assuming you did. Seeing how you posted this and the next day rebounded back so quickly.

Just don't be so dramatic with your life - because stuff like this tends to make me take you less seriously, and makes me look at you like a crybaby.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:07:49 PM
Grev: Although your opinion is well-stated, I would suggest to you that you don't think of yourself as the be-all end-all judge of whether a particular person is whiny or not. To say "I'm taking a break" is perfectly accurate whether you're talking about a single day or an entire month. To announce one's retirement is a bit more dramatic and sometimes ill-motivated, but not always without grounds.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:14:11 PM
I wasn't directly calling him whiny. I'm just saying incidents like this will lead me to believe that of him. I don't have any problem with people taking a short break or whatever to deal with emotional/mental issues. But to start off your post with...

You know, I think the boards are bad for me. I'm seriously thinking of hanging up my hat and never RPing, or even visiting these boards again.
He was stressed out at the time, so he started posting without thinking. And the next day his head was clear, and he realised maybe he wasn't so bad after all. I'm not judging anyone, nor labeling them as anything. I'm only telling him not to come off that way, or I, or maybe even others will start getting impressions of him.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:30:56 PM
Grev, you do make a good point. But for everyone person like you, who would consider me to be a crybaby, there are at least 2 more people who would understand me, and say, "Wei is just overreacting, and having a hard time."

I am not offended by you. I have been called a crybaby several times. However, I think it is healthier for a person to let out all the sad feeling shtey have and cry rather than to bottle it up and let it eat them alive.

Pierce Tondry
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:37:38 PM
I think the question at the heart of the matter is "Did Wei have good grounds to be stressed out?" If he did, it sort of validates his response and looking at how that particular thread has gone for him, I would say that at the very least, it hasn't been all sunshine and funpops. I think he's made a few ill-considered posts and/or edits, and been a bit more emotional than is wise, so on that point we agree.

But I don't think saying "everyone has downtimes, so just deal with it" or "don't be so dramatic with your life" are very well-considered statements, because when I read them, I see "Pfft! What an idiot!" written between the lines. Not everyone can "just deal"; some people don't know how, others need medication to do so. Simply saying "Just give yourself a day to think before you post something like this again" goes a lot farther than "just deal with it."

And if he does post something like this again in spite of your suggestion, then he merits your opinion without you having put it like you did.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:44:17 PM
You're kind of misunderstanding my post. I'm not calling you a crybaby, or any name for that matter. I'm just saying if you post stuff like this consistently it would push me to believe you were a bit over reactant or a bit of a crybaby.

I don't believe you're whiny or anything like that. I feel like crap a lot of days, but before I jump ahead of myself I allow things to kind of smooth out on their own, and get my head straight. The only point I'm trying to make is if you play the sympathy card too much people will begin to make false impressions about you, for instance looking at you as whiny.

Also, expressing your feelings has nothing to do with my point. I have no problem with somebody talking to friends or whatever, you're supposed to do that. The only thing I had a problem with, (not really a problem, just more of bugging me), is how you dragged it out into something larger than it was by saying how you were considering dropping the boards and roleplay together.

Expressing your feelings is one thing, but exagerrating them for sympathy or whatever the reason will rub off as iritating.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:06:26 PM
Expressing your feelings is one thing, but exagerrating them for sympathy or whatever the reason will rub off as iritating.

Another point well made. I try not to stretch the truth when it comes to these kinds of things. At the time I felt attacked and no one likes to be attacked. I think we all can agree on that. I have a hard time maintaining a high self esteem, so that is why I said the boards might be bad for me. I don;t ask for sympathy, but if someone wants to say, "I feel your pain," I won;t give them the cold shoulder either.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:14:35 PM
I realise you're situation. I've been there myself, and I believe anyone with emotions has been there as well. All I want to stress is for you to think before posting things like this. If you're going through a troublesome time or whatever, I have no problem with venting feelings on a public board.

It's just like I said, the thing about leaving the boards and roleplay is the only thing that stuck out to me. In an unstable state you'll post things you don't necessarily mean, I just want you to be aware of what you're posting and don't end up like that Chase kid who posted his own 'death'.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:27:48 PM
No worries there, Grev. It's good to have met you.

James Prent
Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:37:27 PM
*pokes her head into the thread* WB Wei :D

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:03:24 PM
Thanks.

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:18:12 AM
Firstly Wei, pay noone any mind except yourself. At times, the net is a virtual bully ring, as ppl get harassed in Ims and even in threads. Ppl like Grev have absolutely no right to discredit, let alone redicule what someone else posts in an OOC column.

Just follow the rules and RESPECT one another. What ppl think of you, Wei, should be of no consequence to yourself as a person. As a kid, I suffered from bouts of low self esteem at times, but as I became an adult, I found I was disgusted at how I allowed ppl to effect my life. Thinking the popular ppl were better..yadda yadda..

Contrary to populat belief, there is no person better than another, be it wealth, fame, physical attributes, intelligence, skills, and the lot. Each person is their own unique island. Just stay true to yourself and defend your island to the best of your ability, and try not to allow others to influence your well being, as they are undoubtedly throwing their proverbial weight about.

Diego Van Derveld
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:38:02 AM
And you open the door and you step inside.
We're inside our hearts.
Now imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light
Thats right, your pain.
The pain itself is a white ball of healing light.
I don't think so.

This is your life, good to the last drop.
It doesn't get any better than this
This is your life, and its ending one minute at a time.
This isn't a seminar, this isn't a weekend retreat
Where you are now, you can't even imagine what the bottom will be like
Only after disaster can we be resurrected.
Its only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything
Nothing is static, everything is evolving
Everything is falling apart.
This is your life
And its ending one minute at a time
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else
We are all a part of the same compost heap
We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.
You are not your bank account
You are not the clothes you wear
You are not the contents of your wallet
You are not your bowel cancer
You are not your grande latte
You are not the car you drive
YOU ARE NOT YOUR FRELLING KHAKIS
You have to give up
You have to give up
You have to realize that someday you will die
Until you know that, you are useless.
I say, let me never be complete
I say, let may I never be content
I say, deliver me from Swedish furniture
I say, deliver me from clever art
I say, deliver me from clear skin and perfect teeth
I say, you have to give up
I say, evolve, and let the chips fall where they may
This is your life
This is your life
Its ending one minute at a time.
You have to give up
You have to give up

Shabu-Shabu
Oct 24th, 2002, 02:38:00 PM
Wei going away= Me going insane.

Take a break Wei-Chan, and come back happy and refreshed.....

:D

*goes off to find piccys*

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 24th, 2002, 02:44:32 PM
Wow, Diego, that was...inspirational?

:headbash

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 24th, 2002, 02:48:52 PM
Well, I liked it.

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 24th, 2002, 03:08:02 PM
Firstly Wei, pay noone any mind except yourself. At times, the net is a virtual bully ring, as ppl get harassed in Ims and even in threads. Ppl like Grev have absolutely no right to discredit, let alone redicule what someone else posts in an OOC column.

Just follow the rules and RESPECT one another. What ppl think of you, Wei, should be of no consequence to yourself as a person. As a kid, I suffered from bouts of low self esteem at times, but as I became an adult, I found I was disgusted at how I allowed ppl to effect my life. Thinking the popular ppl were better..yadda yadda..

Contrary to populat belief, there is no person better than another, be it wealth, fame, physical attributes, intelligence, skills, and the lot. Each person is their own unique island. Just stay true to yourself and defend your island to the best of your ability, and try not to allow others to influence your well being, as they are undoubtedly throwing their proverbial weight about.
Does this hold any relevance to the discussion between Wei and myself? I'm afraid not. If you would have read closely you would have noted how I never put him down, or even suggested how he was inferior to anyone. I never commented on his mental/emotional state.

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 25th, 2002, 06:05:45 AM
You suggested he didnt post his premature departure and disturbed thoughts, but to wait, prior to making it public, which you deemed an embellished formulation, while this in turn is crossing the border into someone's privacy and freedom to post as a member. I understand ppl post spontaneously before thinking, as in the case of that Chase kid you had previously mentioned, but at times, ppl could use the support from others. I do recall the phrase, "cry baby," "whiner." You 'insinuated,' which is relatively close to 'hinting,' that much was evident.

As for my comments on equality, no, it was not geared towards you. I am well aware you had never stated he was inferior. You also remarked how it bothers you when ppl post to vent out their personal lives, as it tends to make you take them less seriously. If it irritates you, then why not be polite and PM the person, and voice your opinion. While maybe unconsciously performed, you were insulting him with your criticism. What he needed was 'positive,' not negative input. If we are to rp with one another without OOC garbage infecting the board, may I suggest thinking of the person behind the post as real, and not an illusion incapable of profound feelings.

I don't wan't to start off on the wrong foot with you Grev, you seem like a dedicated and well versed rper. You even appeared apologetic in some of your posts to Wei, trying to smooth out your responses, not meaning to put him down. I just feel ppl have a right to say what's on their mind. I'm sure you as well were justified to post your speculation on the matter with Wei, but at times it was derogatory in nature. I mean no offense, I just don't like anyone to be offended in here.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 25th, 2002, 08:27:01 AM
I like Salisha. Salisha is nice. Grev and me are ok. It all ironed out, so... We can move on. If somone wants to hijack this thread they are more than welcome

*cough cough* Leeloo *cough cough*

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 25th, 2002, 09:20:06 AM
Thanks Wei, glad all is aok. :)

Evil Hobgoblin
Oct 25th, 2002, 09:25:46 AM
What all the mess in this thread has basically been about is "It's not what you say, but how you say it."

Wei could have said "I'm feeling down because of the RP and think I need a break."

Grev could've said "Dude, that's a bit of an overreaction. Give yourself some space next time before posting something like that."

Salisha could've said "You're coming off a bit harsh, Grev. Ease up a little."

And I could've said "THREAD HIJACK!!!!!"

None of you are allowed to be depressed in this thread any longer, unless you wear the badge of "Spanish Inquisition Victim."

And why? BECAUSE NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 25th, 2002, 09:30:30 AM
how very very true.

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 25th, 2002, 10:05:43 AM
Who's depressed lol? Guess we all preferred to post in our lengthy lectures rather than summarize it as you so gracefully exhibited for us, Hob. ;)

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 25th, 2002, 02:51:01 PM
Well, I have some things I could comment on in Salisha's latter post directed at me, but I'll leave at rest for the sake of the board.

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 25th, 2002, 03:48:01 PM
Sorry if I offended you Grev. If you are irked with me, PM me. I just felt you came down hard on Wei. Remind me not to but in anymore. o_O I may have erred in my assumptions of your posts, if so, my apologies. I just came from talk city and am sensitive in the subject of ppl critisizing others, as it was rampant there. :\

imported_Grev Drasen
Oct 25th, 2002, 05:10:19 PM
There's no reason for you to apologize, so don't. Your opinion holds just as much value as my own, and it wasn't offensive towards me in anyway. It's your opinion of me, and I respect that, it doesn't bother me. But don't refrain from throwing in your two cents all because of me, I have no problem with your post, and you shouldn't either. I just felt you accused me of some things I didn't agree with, but I'll keep it aside to avoid any further debate.

You have nothing to apologize for, people either agree or disagree... it's just a factor that exists.