PDA

View Full Version : Honor thy family (OPEN and Wargrave eventually)

SashaKovalev
Oct 21st, 2002, 06:23:45 PM
Vjun. He hated this planet. Hated it because it reminded him of the planet he had grown up on, only ten times worse. And worse yet, it was the home of the dark jedi. He didn’t hate them, for he knew little about them. But his master despised them, and so, he believed, should he. His master would tell him little, other than that she despised anything that had the word jedi associated with it. He had done his research, and had a general understanding, but it was the understanding born of books, and in real life, that meant little.

It had been some time since he’d last been here. His last trip had resulted in an interesting conversation with Maester Wargrave – a discussion that had led eventually to the offer of help in finding his father. And this offer, which the young Sith had accepted without yet knowing what would be asked of him in return, had been successful in giving young Mr. Kovalev the answers that he had been searching for. He now knew who his father had been. He knew why his mother had made many of the decisions she had made. He knew what his name had been, and still struggled with what he should call himself.

The answers, Sasha had expected, would bring him peace. Instead, they had resulted in a rage, a deep dark lust for revenge that could not be satisfied. He wanted revenge from people who no longer lived, and this unsatiated desire threatened to destroy him.

What brought him to Vjun was not his search for revenge. Instead, it was the fact that Sasha was in debt to Wargrave for having given him a way to find answers that no one else had been able to give him. Others might not have bothered to make good on their promise. But, Sith or not, Sasha was a man of his word, and so he risked his life to return to this planet. To return to the place where he knew he was an intruder. Where he knew he was not wanted.

As before, his requests for landing had been ignored. And so he landed his ship, a strong sense of foreboding lurking in the air as he did so.

He armed himself with his blaster and lightsaber, and exited the ship. His cloak whipped about him in a rather strong gale, and he braced himself as he began the jounrey to the castle gates. Violet eyes closed against the specks of dust that flew about in the gale. It took some time before he finally reached the gates of the castle, and then he stood there, unsure of what to do.

The last time, he’d rattled the gates. And the woman who had opened them was not one he wanted to see again. He had no doubt she, De’Ville, would be more than displeased to find him intruding upon her planet once again.

As the wind whipped around him, he cursed under his breath. If this debt had not been so important, he might have turned and headed back to his ship. But he couldn’t. Wargrave had given him a way to find the answers he had sought for the past eighteen, almost nineteen years of his life. Without him, Sasha doubted he ever would have known these things. And in an effort to honor his father, his family, he was going to make good on this debt.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:05:45 AM
With so much dust and debris, it was hard to see past one’s own nose on Vjun, let alone meters ahead. The only thing that heightened a person’s chance was the Force, which permitted sight to some through even the thickest of fogs. Apparently, Sasha Kovalev was one of the people who had not yet gained such foresight, for his eyes had passed over, though not come directly to rest upon, the figure atop the pillar by the gates.

He was not standing on the floor as the Sith Knight was, but perched on a familiar spot on one of the walls that acted as a pillar, joining onto the gate from the left hand side, then sloping backwards to become apart of the castle’s keep. Often he would be seen up there, looking about and waiting for visitors to come by, literally daring the pun of ‘guard dog’ to be made.

Watching Sasha had thus far not been as entertaining as he had expected it to be. It was time to stir the pot a little.

“Something you want, Kovalev?” the Lupine barked out loudly.

SashaKovalev
Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:53:16 AM
Something you want, Kovalev?

At the voice, Sasha looked up, somewhat unhappy with himself for not having felt the presence. He was learning, through his last, and now this visit, that most who inhabited this castle were strong in the force, and could easily hide their presence when they chose to do so. And this was what he chose to believe over the fact that perhaps he had not been as alert as he could have been.

As he searched, he found the lupine perched on a spot on one of the walls that acted as a pillar, joining onto the gate from the left hand side.

So it was this one. The one who would have been more than happy to plunder his ship the last time and leave him to die in the acid rain of the planet. Pleasant.

He didn’t respond for a moment to the question, too hung up on the fact that he had been called Kovalev. It was almost sneering, the way it had been said, and this made the young Sith rather tempermental. He assumed that Vega had been able to pick up on his confusion over his name, and was taunting him, whether this truly was the case or not.

“I want to speak with Wargrave.” He finally replied, making no effort to conceal the flush of anger that had risen to his cheeks.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:55:25 AM
The reaction he had gotten was perfect, and caused a fanged grin to spread on the Dark Lord’s lips.

“And what if I said he doesn’t want to speak with you?”

SashaKovalev
Oct 23rd, 2002, 09:47:13 AM
And what if I said he doesn’t want to speak with you?

The young knight shrugged.

“Then so be it.” He replied. If Wargrave didn’t wish to see or hear of him again, that was perfectly fine with him. As far as he was concerned, he had made an effort to repay his debt. The guy made him uneasy, anyway. As did this one he was speaking with. He’d be more than happy to leave this cursed planet and be done with the likes of Wargrave and Van Derveld.

“But I’d rather hear that from him.” He added.

“Than the guard dog at the gates.” It wasn’t even a reference to Vega’s Lupine nature, but rather exactly what Vega at the moment seemed to be. And he had added it because Vega, for some reason, got under his skin. And out of frustration, Sasha had reduced himself to slinging insults.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:00:14 AM
With a snort he lowered himself from the podium. As his boots thudded against the stone beneath them, dust kicked up in small cloud for a moment around his ankles. Motioning out with one hand back towards Bast, he canted his head with a sneer.

“Do you see Wargrave here?” he growled.

“I do not. He has the ability to sense you, yet chooses not to show himself. Does that not imply something to you, Sasha?”

SashaKovalev
Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:37:26 AM
Sasha noticed the fanged grin to spread on the Dark Lord’s lips.
He watched as Vega lowered himself from the podium. He could feel his heart as it pounded within his chest. He would not know fear. Refused to feel fear. But he was perhaps a bit more on edge as Van Derveld drew closer to him. Fear was converted to anger held tenuously in check.

Do you see Wargrave here? I do not. He has the ability to sense you, yet chooses not to show himself. Does that not imply something to you, Sasha?

The young Sith shifted his weight uncomfortably. Yes, he supposed that perhaps it did tell him something. If Wargrave was there. And this, he wasn’t sure of. Not to mention, he knew that Wargrave rather enjoyed playing games. It wouldn’t surprise him if this was one of them.

Violet eyes glared at Vega. He had, for sure, heard the sneer in the lupine’s voice. Anger taunted him, urged him to do something foolish and he fought to resist.

This, Vega could likely feel as well. And if he didn’t feel it, he could easily have seen it in the glowering expression on the kid’s face as he sought to find a suitable response.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:25:55 AM
De'Ville cracked the door open, shielding her eyes from the dust with a slim hand. The two men facing each other in the swirling winds were easily recognizable through the Force, and through their posturing. Males.

"You again, Kovalev?" She opened the door wider, and stepped out into the wind storm. Her dark blue cloak whipped about her ankles, and she tugged on it, allowing it to billow free behind her. "Why all this noise at the gates, Vega?"

SashaKovalev
Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:51:25 PM
Inwardly he groaned as his eyes shifted to the new voice. Not her. She had made quite clear the last time her dislike of him - and others like him. Members of the Sith Order from which she was banished.

He didnt bother to answer her question, for it was obvious that yes, it was him, again.

And anyway, she was questioning the other. The other he now knew to be Vega.

He repositioned himself slightly to keep the wind from blowing into his face so much and waited. Perhaps...perhaps she would be more helpful. Perhaps....not.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 24th, 2002, 03:45:02 AM
The Lupine rocked his weight back and forth, from heel to toe, as he stared at Sasha, waiting for an answer that he knew would never come. Never the less, he watched the Sith with an expectant smile.

"Why all this noise at the gates, Vega?"

Slowly turning his head to regard the one who had spoken, he squinted for a moment before spinning around sharply to face De’Ville.

“Little boy Kovalev wants to see Wargrave.”

SashaKovalev
Oct 24th, 2002, 03:57:31 PM
Little boy Kovalev wants to see Wargrave

He couldnt help it. Anger and chaos were what he had been taught to live for the past year of his life with the Sith Order, and it had become ingrained in him. Vega's taunting pushed him over the edge.

Without thinking, and out of anger that refused any longer to be kept in check, he reached out to the darkside, pulling it in to give a fairly hard force shove to Vega.

He hadnt come for conflict, but he was a Sith, and these were dark jedi. He owed nothing to any of them - save the one he had come to see. The one who was either toying with him, or truly had no interest in speaking with him.

He might have regretted his action the moment after he'd done it, but this did not show on his face or in his demeanor. He knew it was stupid - stupid to mess with this one, nevermind on this planet surrounded by others like him. But he hadnt been able to control his anger.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 25th, 2002, 01:56:26 AM
As he was knocked backwards towards the gate, a loud laugh spiralled past his lips. The Lupine looked down his nose at the Sith and shook his head.

“That’s not going to get you anywhere, boy.”

Turning his attention from Sasha to De’Ville, he gave an over accentuated shrug. Within a split second he turned again, out-stretched an arm and balled his fist, smacking Kovalev down to the ground, head first, with a burst of darkside energy.

SashaKovalev
Oct 25th, 2002, 12:44:40 PM
He hit the ground with a solid thud. He’d been expecting a retaliation of some sort, but the force of this had been more than he had felt before. He was a little slow getting up as he thought about the stupidity of his actions. He knew he was no match for Vega. Though knighted, he had much to learn, and if he wanted to live long enough to learn these things, he was going to have to be a bit smarter about learning to control his anger.

As he stood, he spit upon the ground, ridding, as best he could, the dust that had gathered in his mouth from the fall. Slowly, he brushed the dirt from his cloak.

Violet eyes lifted heavily to look at Vega, then flickered away in disgust with himself. He wanted nothing more than to show the lupine he was anything bit the little boy Vega had taunted.

“I just came to repay a debt to Wargrave.” He stated.

"But how lucky I am to have found more." He added, sarcasm thick in his voice.

He hated being taunted. Hated being thought of as a child. Hated that anyone would think he was weak. And it was clear Vega did with the way he was speaking.

He knew he would have few chances like this one, and he knew he was possibly on his way to his own grave, but the Sith code was ingrained enough in his mind that for him, there was no death, there was immortality. And he believed this enough to do what he did next.

The shove with the force was harder this time, and from behind Vega. And then the young Sith drew his lightsaber, igniting the orange blade and swinging it with the anger of a boy who had taken all that he could take. A boy who was no longer a child, but a young man determined to make his mark in the galaxy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 26th, 2002, 12:01:08 AM
Lilaena ignited her blade and stepped forward between the Sith and her brother, blocking the blow meant to sever Vega's head, or worse. With a twist of her arms, she knocked the orange blade up and to the side, then used the Force to yank Kovalev's legs out from under him.

"Enough! Wargrave approaches, boy, you get your wish."

Taylor Millard
Oct 26th, 2002, 12:03:50 AM
The doors to Bast Castle flew open and a familiar voice came from the doorway.

"Lord Van Derveld, thank you for greeting Mister Kovalev. Lady De'Ville, the same thank you goes to you as well. As well as ending this, before it got too far out of hand."

The owner of the voice started walking down the steps of Bast Castle.

"Welcome to Bast Castle again, nephew. You came to return a favor for me?"

It was Grand Admiral Taylor Millard.

Vega Van-Derveld
Oct 27th, 2002, 04:58:06 AM
Offering a snarl to Sasha, he shook his head, as if to imply that this time he had been lucky. With a glance towards Millard, he smirked, and waited to see what the outcome of this meeting would be, and whether or not he and De’Ville would be permitted to listen.

SashaKovalev
Oct 27th, 2002, 07:34:55 AM
She had stepped in. He should have known she would. For a moment their blades locked, and then the stronger, more experienced force user pushed his blade away and pulled his feet from beneath him. With a thud, he landed on his back.

Enough! Wargrave approaches, boy, you get your wish

He heard the snarl from Vega and was climbing back to his feet when his violet eyes moved from De'Ville to the doors of the castle where a familiar voice could be heard.

A very familiar voice.

His head canted to the side in confusion as his uncle strode toward him. His uncle. Taylor Millard. The woman that De'Ville had just called Wargrave.

His lightsaber he still held in hand by his side, believing for a moment that this was an illusion by Wargrave. Another game of his. But....his senses told him that this was not. This was truly his uncle, here at Bast Castle.

He wasnt sure whether to be relieved, or to be more on his guard. His eyes flickered to Vega and De'Ville, then back to his uncle.

"I came to see Wargrave to repay the debt that I owe for his help in finding my father." He stated. It seemed his life was becoming one big surprise after another.

In just a short span of time he had learned who his father was, that he had an uncle, that the woman he loved was leaving the Sith Order, and now...that his uncle was.....Wargrave?

"But if you are one and the same then...yes, I have come to repay a debt to you."

Taylor Millard
Oct 27th, 2002, 04:42:12 PM
"Sasha," Millard said, his eyes glowing a bit, "If your father had the Force. And my father had the Force..."

He continued through the Force.

Why shouldn't I possess the Force as well?

Millard/Wargrave walked down the steps towards the trio where they stood.

Then he offered his hand to Sasha.

"It is good to see you again."

SashaKovalev
Oct 27th, 2002, 05:30:04 PM
His uncle’s spoken words and those that he heard through the force made sense. With a faint wry smile on the corners of his lips, he disengaged his saber.

He cast a slightly uneasy glance at De’Ville and Vega as he stepped forward to greet his uncle. And then they were temporarily forgotten. He shook the extended hand with a firm grip.

“Its good to see again as well.” He replied, his words sincere.

His uncle must be strong in the force, he thought, that he had not allowed Sasha to sense his abilities. Not even in the faintest while he had been at Castle Millard on Balmorra. This, among the other things he had known of Wargrave, who he not knew to be his uncle, he admired greatly.

He cast a glance back to De’Ville and Vega, then back to his uncle.

“Im afraid I was rather…rude to your…to them.” He finished, a hint of regret in his tone, perhaps, as he nodded to the two dark jedi who stood watching. Though not enough to signify that he was sorry he’d taken a swing at Vega, merely concerned his uncle would be displeased with him.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2002, 08:26:37 PM
De'Ville stared from Kovalev to Wargrave, and back again. She was beginning to feel like she was at a smashball match. "You owe me no thanks, Wargrave." She glared at Kovalev, and then turned back towards the doors of Bast.

SashaKovalev
Oct 28th, 2002, 10:32:08 AM
As De'Ville spoke to Wargrave, reminding him that he owed her for this one, he turned to look at her. He didnt miss the glare that she gave him before she turned to head back to the castle. This wasnt really the way he wanted to start things out with his uncle, but there was little that could be done now.

It was just beginning to sink in that his uncle was a dark jedi. His uncle was something that his master despised, and certainly not a relationship that she would approve of. Later, perhaps, he would think more on this.

He did not know his uncle well at all just yet - but he had spent his whole life wanting to know his father - wanting to know a family, and with the circumstances, his uncle was as close as he would get. And it was something that he was looking forward to.

It was possible he would eventually have to make a decision between blood and those who had taken him in and become his family. But until he had to, he wasnt going to concern himself with it.

Taylor Millard
Oct 28th, 2002, 11:47:49 AM
Millard gave a small smile, "Of course Master De'Ville."

Then he turned back to Sasha, "And I believe your apologies have been noted by the others. Now...you say you wish to repay a debt to Wargrave.

"What is it you wish to do?"

SashaKovalev
Oct 28th, 2002, 12:12:07 PM
Relief passed briefly through him as his uncle accepted his form of an apology.

As his uncle spoke with him, mindlessly, out of habit, he turned the hilt of his lightsaber over and over in his hand. At the question, he stopped.

“I wanted to know about my father badly enough that I accepted the offer for help without knowing what would be asked of me in return.” He looked down at the saber he held in his hand, and then back to his uncle.

“Without the help of Wargrave, I likely would never have found out who my father was. Because it meant so much to me to know, and because I felt it was the only way to honor my family, I came to make good on my debt.”

His expression became set.

“I owe more than I could ever repay.” He admitted, his violet eyes staring at his uncle for a moment, then looking away, out over the bleak existence of the planet. And this was true. To Sasha, there was no amount of money, nothing that could ever be worth the knowledge that he now had.

"But I am willing to do what is asked of me." He was wary as he said this, despite the fact that he was speaking with his uncle. He had committed a rather treasonous act against the Sith Order in the past, and knew that a second time would likely not be forgiven. He didnt know what Wargrave had wanted of him when they had made the deal, but he was aware that there was the possibility of repercussions.

Taylor Millard
Oct 28th, 2002, 05:25:49 PM
"You have trepidations about what I might ask of you," Millard said as he looked at his nephew. Indeed he did remind him of his dead brother, Sasha's father, Trent Donovan.

"I am perfectly happy with you remembering who you are...a Millard...despite the difference in names. As for what you can do for me," he pausing thinking it over.

"I have an idea for you...if you wish to not take it, I understand. If you wish to honor my request, I will be delighted though."

SashaKovalev
Oct 28th, 2002, 05:36:14 PM
You have trepidations about what I might ask of you

The young Sith nodded slowly.

"I would be a fool, I think, if I had no concerns about decisions I was about to make." He replied quietly.

And then his gaze came back to his uncle.

"What is it that you wish of me?" He asked.

Taylor Millard
Oct 28th, 2002, 05:40:48 PM
"There are some files at the Sith Order," Millard replied, "Actually, only one that I can think of. Very briefly, I was in their membership ranks."

He touched his jaw, his blue eyes flashing, "I wish them downloaded onto a datapad and then deleted from their main computer.

"But only if you are willing to do the deletion."

SashaKovalev
Oct 28th, 2002, 06:01:46 PM
His gaze fell to the ground, and for a moment he closed his eyes. He could feel his stomach twist slightly.

This request would cost him his life if he was caught. And if he wasnt caught, he would live forever with the knowledge that he had been a traitor to the organization to which he had been a part of. In doing this, he would not be able to remain with the order. He would not be able to live his life training others to be loyal members of the order to which he himself had not been. Not to mention, constantly having to guard his guilty thoughts at all times.

He swallowed back the tension that had risen.

It was ironic, he thought, that his father had betrayed the cult for which he had lived his life. And now his son was being asked to do the same.

For the same man.

And his father had lost his life.

He exhaled, realizing for a moment that he had been holding his breath.

And then he inhaled slowly as he looked back up toward his uncle.

"So the price you would ask me to pay is either death, or living my life as a traitor?" He asked, without anger or malice. Now that he knew the double role that his uncle played, he could understand why he might want certain files deleted. He knew not what the files contained, but could deduce that it might be information he would not want others knowing.

What he couldnt understand was how his uncle could ask this of him, for having been a member of the order, surely he understood what an action like this would mean in the long run.

Taylor Millard
Oct 28th, 2002, 06:48:40 PM
"It was a simple request, Sasha," Taylor said, meaning it, "You do not have to accept it."

And he meant that too.

"I do not ask you to betray your honor against the Sith Order. It is your own choice."

He patted Sasha on the shoulder, "But do consider it.

"Also," Millard said after a moments thought, "You have another relative, within the Sith Order's ranks. My cousin is Athena Lady Darknss...a Sith Master. I believe that would make her your third cousin. Feel free to introduce yourself to her."

SashaKovalev
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:27:43 PM
That there was another – within the Sith ranks…certainly he would seek her out.

Until then, he had his uncle’s request to consider. He knew his uncle meant it when he told him he did not have to comply with this request.

But the same blood that ran through his veins ran through Taylor Millard’s. This was a request from his father’s brother. And as Millard strove to honor the last request of a dying man, to honor his family, so too, would the son of that man. He would honor his family.

His gaze went to his lightsaber, given to him by Mu Satach. He thought about the things she had warned him of. The fact that he was entering a world with darkness he had never yet imagined. And he realized, for not the first time that this was true. Only he would be the one of darkness now. The one who would do the unexpected.

In all forms, it was the least of the sins he could commit. The file’s deletion would not necessarily be harmful to the order. Perhaps, if caught, he would be forgiven. Perhaps he would not. Violet eyes met the piercing blue of Taylor Millard.

“If this is what you wish and I can get access to the file, then I will do as you have requested.” He wasn’t sure what this meant of his future, but his father had found reason to betray his order for Taylor Millard, and so too, would his son.

“What name did you go by then?” He asked, wanting to know exactly what it was he would be looking for.

Taylor Millard
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:34:25 PM
"My own...Taylor Millard," he replied, "That is the reason I want the file gone.

"Were the universe to find out Millard was a Force User...it would not bade well for several people I care for. That might include you. And my cousin."

SashaKovalev
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:43:04 AM
My own...Taylor Millard

Sasha nodded, taking this information in.

That is the reason I want the file gone. Were the universe to find out Millard was a Force User...it would not bade well for several people I care for. That might include you. And my cousin.

Sasha sighed softly as he thought a bit about how he might accomplish this task. It would take extensive planning, and it wasn’t something that he would be able to work out here, at this very moment.

“Why did you leave the order?” He finally asked, wanting to know these things about his uncle. The wind still whipped about every now and then and Sasha finally reattached his saber to his belt. As he waited for his uncles answer, he stuffed his hands in the pockets of his cloak to lessen the resistance of the winds.

Taylor Millard
Oct 29th, 2002, 05:38:13 PM
"Their ideals of death and destruction did not suit with me," Millard replied, "Although chaos has its uses...and I do indeed enjoy causing it from time to time...as a whole it is not something to have all the time.

"And I do prefer order over chaos," he mused, turning from his nephew, "I discovered myself agreeing with the Dark Jedi more than the Sith.

"My master, Seth Darkserpent...a missing member of this group here...introduced me to here. And I've been here ever since."

He turned back to Sasha, "Does that answer your question, my nephew?"

SashaKovalev
Oct 29th, 2002, 06:23:36 PM
These things that his uncle said...they made sense to Sasha. And though he wasnt ready to admit it, oftentimes, perhaps he too, would find that he agreed more with the ideals of the Dark Jedi than with the Sith.

He nodded as his uncle asked him if this explained his decision well enough.

"Yes, Sir." He replied

He wanted to spend more time with Millard, to learn more about him, but Vjun was not the most welcoming planet, nor were its inhabitants, despite the efforts of his uncle.

He cast a glance back down the hill, then back to his uncle, recalling his last visit here.

"Is there anything else that you wish for me to do?" He asked.

Taylor Millard
Oct 30th, 2002, 12:39:41 PM
"That you do, as your father told me, and remember who you are. You are a Millard...despite the difference in last name," Taylor smiled and looked at his nephew.

"And you are always welcome to Balmorra."

SashaKovalev
Oct 30th, 2002, 01:51:12 PM
That you do, as your father told me, and remember who you are. You are a Millard...despite the difference in last name.

At this, Sasha smiled. He played for a moment with the ring he wore on his pinkie, taking it off and rolling it between his thumb and forefinger.

“Now that I know it, I wont ever forget it.” He promised, pushing the ring back onto his finger.

He’d considered changing his name. Perhaps in time he would, but for now, particularly with the fact that Taylor did not want known the fact that he was a force user, it was likely best that his nephew did not advertise the fact that there was a force user in the family. There was little reason to raise suspicion, and to a degree, having the name he had made him think constantly of his mother and his father and all that they had gone through to protect him.

He wondered occasionally what his father would have thought of his chosen career path. If he ever saw his ghost again, it was something he would ask.

And you are always welcome to Balmorra…

Sasha grinned at this.

“But not on Vjun…” He added with a grin.

As he looked to his uncle, the similarities to his father were reflected in the way he held himself, and in the features of his face. He was a younger version of his father, with the exception of the eyes that his mother had bestowed upon him.

“I’ll come to Balmorra, but not until I’ve accomplished what you’ve asked for.” The expression on his face was determined as he made this promise.