PDA

View Full Version : Mental matters.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:16:03 PM
OK, Friday I went to the counsellor at my college to see if I am depressed or not. I just might be, but until they say I am, I must not be, right? Well, anyway, we talked some and now on Wednesday I got to go to the other counsellor and see what she says, and based on what she says, I get to go see a psychiatrist about medication! Woo-hoo! At least I won;t be sad all the time.

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:40:06 PM
Yay!

I used to take meds. Nothing wrong with it :) It will help you out and make you not be sad....*should really get back on them someday^_^; )

Zatania Duvall
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:50:01 PM
I'm bi-polar, I know how it is. But medication is a pain in the -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR-, expensive too. They won't refill it unless you go and visit the doc and thats $50 a visit on top of the med costs. So I stopped taking it. It didn't really start acting up again until I started working at Wal-Mart. :(

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:06:00 PM
My mom thinks it could be a thyroid problem. I thought if you had Thyroid problems it meant that you were fat and could not help it. Learn something new everyday, huh?

Leeloo Mina
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:40:45 PM
I used to take meds to help with my depression.. they didn't work. And they were pretty expencive. Last I knew I am/was manic-depressive.. and something else but I cant rememeber what it was..

I stoped taking them after a while.. *shrugs* I'm still depressed alot and sometimes have thoughts of suicide.. but the boards help me out.. pretending to be nutty in a fun way, usually makes me smile, even if only for a little while.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:49:18 PM
It seems that this sort of thing runs rampant these days. Stress has a lot to do with it. But the boards definately are an escape. The doc I went to told my mom that it was probably the only thing keeping me from going into nervous breakdowns all the time because of all the stress I have.

In a way we all help eachother out by coming here and posting. :)

Leeloo Mina
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:53:35 PM
Yeah.. A few of the people I have met on this board have caused me stress(mostly one person.. :mad) but over all, SWFans has helped me alot. :)

Xazor Elessar
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:04:17 PM
Same here.....I love telling stories because I can escape from my terrible RL and live someone else's life for a while.....it's so nice, especially since I have like, twenty characters! Its a wonder I don't have MPD (multiple personality disorder) :lol That would be something.....

Zatania Duvall
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:40:30 PM
Well, we all have to remember one thing. At least our lives aren't as bad as some. O.o I'd take this life over someone who's father beats them or someone who's homeless.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:10:36 PM
Lol taking meds for depression is useless, its all in your heads the weaker you are the more you will consume them, but their only drugs and ppl use them to suicide themselves. I would sure as hell NEVER take those. >_<

Xazor Elessar
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:17:19 PM
You're lucky Zatania.....I happen to fall into a bad situation like one you listed. :( Of course, I'm not homeless....unless I'm living out of my Compaq Presario box! :lol!!

Inu
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:37:20 PM
I agree with Lance, the depression is in your mind. Just sit back, chill, figure your problems through and solve them. It's a better fix than medications. Probably more permanent too.

Gouyen Chee
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:33:35 AM
Lance, Inu -- it's not a matter of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps when you're down because it is certainly NOT "all in your head." I've been fighting bipolar disorder ever since I was 15 (I'm now 41, i.e. ancient ;)), and it was not until I got on medication, in 1990, that I finally got some sort of emotional stability.

Depression/bipolar is an imbalance of brain chemicals, most prominently serotonin, and it can be corrected with medication. I will most likely be on meds for the rest of my life, as I most certainly do not want to revert to the person I was back in the 80s -- depressed, irritable, unable to hold down a job for more than three months -- you get the picture. Since I've been on meds I've been able to finally complete my bachelor's degree and am now in the process of applying for graduate school -- things I would never have been able to accomplish without medication.

But of course different people respond differently to different treatments. Some people can pull through with only therapy; others need medication, sometimes short-term and sometimes long-term. Keep a journal of your moods, be pro-active in your treatment and you'll do just fine.

As for the thyroid thing -- sometimes a low thyroid can cause depression, so it's good that they're checking for that too.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck.

Dante
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:08:44 AM
its no way all in your head. one of my mates i train with gets like that, shes been on anti-deps for years. shes really canny and ya wouldnt guess she was unless she told ya. its just another illness, but instead of makin ya lame or deaf or blind or somethin, it affects ya different.

luck Wei.

Zatania Duvall
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:24:58 AM
It's not in your head. When I was younger I was a happy talkative kid, then suddenly I just got real quiet and, like someone else said, I got depressed, irritable, unable was to hold down a job for more than three months. I've had two jobs. One I held for two or three months, the other I'm still in but just handed in my two week notice(I was supposed to wait a little longer, I had to quit this job anyways because I'm moving. But they had me so upset yesterday that I told them off).

I wish I could afford to get back on the meds, they really worked. I was back to being social again when I was on them. They put me on them after I had a crying fit in the middle of school. When that happened they sent me home early and I never went back because everytime I tried to walk out the door I felt that sudden unexplainable depression. Wish I had gone on them sooner so that wouldn't have happened.

Things are never in your head. Even with crazy people, it's all just an illness. With Marilyn Monroe, she swore to God cats were trying to kill her. To her, that was real. So it wasn't in her head.

I'd walk a mile in someone's shoes before telling them that it's in their head, because in the end, thats telling them they are faking it. We all wish we were though.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 20th, 2002, 01:36:26 PM
This is a really cool discussion going on here. And thanks to you guys who are offering me some support. I'll be keeping all my peeps posted on this as things go on.

Syren Lysandor
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:22:52 PM
I'd take this life over someone who's father beats them

I wish I could say the same, Zatania. :/

Its a wonder I don't have MPD (multiple personality disorder) That would be something.....

Xazor, a personality disorder is nothing to be joking about.

Wei, I hope everything turns out fine. It seems that alot more people on the boards have more 'problems' then we knew. I'm just glad that everyone is pulling through. :)

ReaperFett
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:25:57 PM
Ive never taken any medication, so dont have any opinions, sorry.

But I hope it all works out for you

Brielle Acaana
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:25:31 PM
Fett just thinks hes not taking any medication! ;)

Peeps, all the best! It takes time and a real effort to beat something like this but I know you can do it!

You know that we're all here for ya!

:D

Marcus Telcontar
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:27:44 PM
If I feel rotten, I fnd being creative helps.

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 20th, 2002, 11:49:16 PM
I've often thought I was manic depressive....cause I have severe swings like that. I haven't done anything about it, cause I'm just not the type of person to see anyone over things. Not even illness. I try to hunker down and deal with it in my own way. That isn't necessarily the best course of action, and I can think of more than one occasion where its been frankly stupid on my part. But, thats how I am. My mom is a nurse, and I've had enough routine advice to get me through things well enough. I'd just as soon not trouble anyone over it...right or wrong as I may be. I rarely get sick or injured, and if I do...I just wait it out. I had a case of internal bleeding this year, which I decided to go against my gut instinct and get checked out, cause I don't really know what to do when such arises. Now I know, and I've had it happen again within the past week, and I've taken the appropriate preventative measures, and it hasn't risen up since.

I may lack perspective, but if you've got a problem, the best doctor in the world is yourself. Now whether you refer yourself to another person is your call alone...since I can't climb in your head.

Figrin D'an
Oct 21st, 2002, 02:29:21 AM
I tend toward a similar attitude. I try to work things out on my own. I rarely talk openly about any personal problems, I don't go to the doctor/hospital unless it is obviously necessary, and beyond over-the-counter stuff for headaches and allergies, I don't take any regular medication. At times, it can seem overly stubborn on my part. But, it's part of my personality. My life experiences have taught me to be as self-sufficient as I possibly can be.

That is mearly my preference, though. It is certainly not for everyone. I have never had any severe emotional or mental imparements, though, so far be it for me to make any credible suggestions. Perhaps this is sheer ignorance speaking, but ultimately, the only person that can really help you is yourself. Friends can comfort, counsellors can recommend, doctors can diagnose and prescribe... and while all those things can help, it is still up the individual to enact legitimate change for the better. No one else knows what you know, or feels what you feel. You just have to do your best to make informed decisions.

Seerrasseei Tsseerra
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:52:37 AM
honestly, meds didn't work on my depression, they just made me tired....I stopped taking them and worked it out on my own....I can see how they can help some but mine seems to just be in my head so I can get over it like a normal person does....

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:57:33 AM
A Chinese saying goes, "One disease, long life. No disease, short life."

It's better to go see someone about something and get help, then to try to handle it by yourself. But we all do things our own way. Anbira, Figrin, I gotta admit, I admire you guys for being able to handle things on your own.

Oct 21st, 2002, 06:14:24 PM
Heh. Ive always thought medication is of no use. You gotta face your problems on your own....I know cause I've been depressed lately, but what I did is...I thoguth about everything..I thought about it so much and then I realised stuff untill I finally managed to find an answer and I finally resolved my problem. So good luck mate. I hope you find your answer and solution too.

Leeloo Mina
Oct 21st, 2002, 10:43:18 PM
Some depression isn't caused by a problem, though.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:02:42 PM
Ok, all. Update. I went to get my thyrroid checked on. They are doing a blood test and they said I would be able to get the results in a few days. Tomorrow I go see the counsellor.

Leeloo Mina
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:22:45 PM
Good luck, Wei..

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:03:58 PM
Sometimes Meds DO help. In my case, I have a chemical imbalance. I needed (and still need) them to keep the chemicals in my head straight and such. :lol

And Xaz, I don't think you have MPD. Just overly creative maybe? ;) lol

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:57:27 PM
Saw the counsellor. We talked. I feel better. I'm going back same time next week to talk some more. I got alot to do.

Dae Jinn
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:01:08 PM
yay. Good Wei :)

Yes, it is good to be able to work things out on your own, but it's also nice to have someone to talk to and be objective about things. *knows cos she had a consellor and a shrink* :lol

Gouyen Chee
Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:03:16 PM
Glad you're feeeling better, Wei

Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:15:59 PM
glad to hear that bud.

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:50:17 AM
I have an imbalance in brain chemicals, causing OOC and depression at times, but the meds help. Unfortunately I inherited it. Symptons didn't show till my early adolescence years. Can't fix it without the meds, been there done that..No go..I dont get counciled because I honestly dislike talking about my personal life, but I am glad it helps others. :)

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 24th, 2002, 09:58:31 AM
OOC = ?

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 10:02:40 AM
obsessive compulsive disorder

I'm not an extensive hand washer or checker, I just tend to think too much and analyze.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:39:25 AM
I want a kitty cat :)

bgut pets are not allowed in the dorms at my colelge and I cannot afford an apartment :(

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:46:45 AM
try smuggling in a hamster lol :)..Just use carefresh litter, doesnt smell.:rollin

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:47:40 AM
Awwww. I can't have a kitty either and I really want one. All I have is my fish, Mr White :(
*huggles Wei*
I figured it was OCD, I have that too, mostly with keeping things neat and in order. And as certain people who know me very well can tell you, I overthink everything. :lol

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:49:57 AM
Ah...nice not to be alone with this burden..:) Yeah I keep things neat too. :)

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:52:49 AM
My mum makes fun of me, because if anyone moves something even a tiny bit out of place, I have to move it back >.<

I don't think being neat and tidy is a problem though :lol

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:00:31 PM
I know some ppl like that. Im more of a thinker than a neater though. I just wipe down the kitchen counter once or twice daily and make sure dishes and bathroom are clean, and things like clothes away. Dont think I'm compulsive in that area. OCD has various forms.

Lilya Goldberry
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:02:57 PM
I'm like the messy kitchen kid! I leave the dishes till late at night and I just like to have things neat, books, cds, etc. Things in their place basically.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:33:00 AM
OK, guys. I got the results of my test when I went to get my thyrroid checked. Nothing is wrong with my thyrroid. Woo-hoo! Now that I think about it, I think I am just homesick is all.

Azhure Darkstone
Oct 28th, 2002, 08:26:06 PM
good to hear :)

This thread is really good so I'll vent and let it all go as well and not say anything more about it.

The way I see it is that you have yourself to begin with and you have yourself at the end so you can only rely on yourself when times get real tough, but thats probably just me and the fact is it's my problem, not everyone elses.
There is no such thing as a freak or weirdo. Only someone who hasnt gotten it together, and that's around 99 percent of the population, whether in it's extreme or in it's smallest form.

And now I'm going to be quiet.

imported_Firebird1
Oct 28th, 2002, 09:47:14 PM
Originally posted by Zatania Duvall
So I stopped taking it. It didn't really start acting up again until I started working at Wal-Mart. :(

Yes Working with in a five block radius of Walmart will give anyone problems.... AND I WORK IN THE TOY DEPARTMENT...:D

Gitane Blesse
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:22:55 AM
I don't trust meds. I've had too many people tell me that they've messed them up. Besides that, there are things that I refuse to tell psychs some of the things that go on in my head.

Why? Because recently I told my psych about the heavy mood-swings I've been having. I was worried; I've been showing a lot of bi-polar symptoms. She basically decided that I was some attention-hungry teenager that was making it up, and decided I had simply been feeling "depressed". If that's not bad enough, she called and told my uncle. He goes off on me, I go off on him, I tell mum that I don't want to go back to her because She broke confidenciality, and mum goes off on me too!

Wrah... There are a lot of things that I refuse to tell her. I have yet to tell her about my father, I will NEVER tell her about my past, and I will NEVER tell her about the countless times I've had a blackout and woken up with a cut somewhere.

Mrrh.... I need a hug. :|

Leeloo Mina
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:32:44 AM
*hugs Liz* :(

I know how you feel.. I've never told a psych what all was going on in my head..

To be honest no one knows.. If I tell anyone anything, I leave quite a bit out.. It's not like I have any close friends to talk to anymore, anyway.. and I dont want any. Male OR Female the last male one I had broke my heart and I doubt he gave a **** to begin with.. and the last female one.. not going into that :|

Abel Kannan
Oct 29th, 2002, 12:59:09 PM
This thread might as well be a venting thread. And have any of you tried prayer? Believe me, prayer works!

Gouyen Chee
Oct 29th, 2002, 04:54:53 PM
Ah yes, the "psych from Hell" stories -- I have a few of them too. Like the one lady who wouldn't see me without my husband in attendence because she was afraid that I would freak out (for want of a better term) on her and attack her. Then there was the psych at the local public mental health clinic who wanted to take me off lithium, which I had been on for years, because it was toxic. He also gave me some good suicide ideas when he was emphasizing the toxicity of lithium -- something I consider borderline malpractice. Then there was the one psych who wanted to drug me into a dysfunctional stupor -- and to make matters worse, he was Armenian and spoke to his assistants (about me?) in Armenian. Since I didn't know what they were saying, it made me feel very uneasy.

And then there are the one-in-a-million doctors, the ones who really care. I happened to luck out getting one of those, and together we figured out a concoction of five different meds that have been keeping me sane and functional. Unfortunately, he suffered a brain aneurism and died July 2001. :cry His replacement has been fairly good so far, but I seem to suffer stupid attacks when I visit his office -- oh well....

Sene Unty
Oct 29th, 2002, 05:14:35 PM
Damn that is absolutly horrendous for you......really how people that bad get PHD's I will never understand!!!!

Sentinel Salisha
Oct 30th, 2002, 01:48:27 PM
Its really quite distressing and lame. More ppl need mental health assistance than aid for physical ailments. But the mental health field is not considered a top priority in America, so it sorely lacks in the number of both qualified and sympathetic professionals; not to mention much needed education for everyone out there who is biased and ignorant about people with chemical imbalances. I'm sure there are peeps going around not even getting help for their mental illnesses, due to fear or embarassment and other reasons, and the negativity society tends to project about mental disorders.

Some ppl can't afford it, but most hospitals offer sliding scale fees based on your salary, or even provide free care.

My doctor told me more than half the population needs help, and most aren't seeking it, especially guys who think its all their heads and can fix it theselves, then fail and become even more depressed or addicted on various things.

All but one psychiatrist quit at the center I am going to, so I havent seen my Doc in months as she is overburdened with clients. She is great and understanding. :) Luckily I get free samples of my meds, so it helps alot.

Wei Wu Wei
Oct 30th, 2002, 06:28:24 PM
Cool. I went to my counsellor again today. We talked about the dance I went to last weekend. She wants me to take a 300 question test about myself. Then we are going to talk about the results on a nother day. Life is good, you guys. At work i get to do chemistry. Fun fun. Lots of chemistry. More fun.

Gouyen Chee
Oct 30th, 2002, 07:12:02 PM
Chemistry -- blech :mneh

But I'm glad to hear you're doing better, Wei. :)

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:03:49 PM
I took the longest Personality test I have ever seen in my life! 344 questions! I'm glad it was scantron. I'd hate to have to scre that sucker by hand. OH! And this ex-girlfriend of mine, who is the only ex-girlfriend I did not break up with and remain on speaking terms with, is speaking to me! I e-mailed her out of the blue and she replied! I had been feeling so down because I thought I was some terrible person, but now I feel just dandy!

Tyreal Dalarsco
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:06:06 PM
Ick, I hate Scantron.
But, when you have that many questions, it's the lesser of 2 evils.

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:24:54 PM
Yeah, really. The test will take a few weeks to get back to the place that I go to so we can see the results. I can hardly wait!